Speculation: 2019 UFA targets

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
anyone have any thoughts on Oliwer Kaski? 23 year old defenseman i've seen mentioned as a european free agent putting up big numbers over in Finland this season

I noticed he played a season at western michigan a few years back,potential wings connection there in some minor way?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Although it won't be pretty, I really think Duchene should be our top target.

Our lack of center depth is really hurting us and there's no immediate internal solution. Nielsen/Glendening are embarrassing in their roles. AA can't cut it. Veleno and/or Hughes&Co. shouldn't be rushed into that role (if they can even play C or play it at a high level).

Larkin is going to get sick of being the only viable center real fast and it only hurts our many young-ish/up-and-coming wingers not to have a solid option in the middle 6 to host them. We need a top 6 center and if we're going to be faced with Nielsen-like contract demands from middling junk, we might as well spend the extra dough to get the top dog.

So many teams will be interested in his services so I won't get my hopes up. I think he ends up in Dallas. But we need to be competitive for him regardless.

If not, I'd explore trade options and avoid Hayes at all costs. I'd be interested in RNH/Kadri/JT Miller or Johnson. If we're striking out on free agents, we'll have a lot of cap space, and EDM/TOR/TB could use it, so that might lessen the burden on our end....
Duchene is a very good player , but he is not a winner , everywhere he plays so far doesn't help team . If he improve Jackets than they will resign him .Most likely He is going to be Vanek 2.0.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
don't disagree that we need a center, disagree on targeting Duchene. We're almost certainly drafting a center in a few months, Rasmussen could still be a center Veleno is coming up... we have guys looking to take that position soon. I'd look at Spezza or Filppula. Guys who can step in, play ~15 minutes a night, put up .4-.5 ppg, and not screw up the locker room or be serious impediments either in the lineup or in our cap. Duchene is probably the best of what's available center wise, but he's not something special enough that I'd want to invest as heavily as will likely be necessary this summer.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
don't disagree that we need a center, disagree on targeting Duchene. We're almost certainly drafting a center in a few months, Rasmussen could still be a center Veleno is coming up... we have guys looking to take that position soon. I'd look at Spezza or Filppula. Guys who can step in, play ~15 minutes a night, put up .4-.5 ppg, and not screw up the locker room or be serious impediments either in the lineup or in our cap. Duchene is probably the best of what's available center wise, but he's not something special enough that I'd want to invest as heavily as will likely be necessary this summer.

Gonna take a big fat pass on seeing Filppula cross the blueline and pirouette every GD time!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
anyone have any thoughts on Oliwer Kaski? 23 year old defenseman i've seen mentioned as a european free agent putting up big numbers over in Finland this season

I noticed he played a season at western michigan a few years back,potential wings connection there in some minor way?

Definitely worth a try.

That would feel like an extra 2013 draft pick.

He is that class, undrafted.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Gonna take a big fat pass on seeing Filppula cross the blueline and pirouette every GD time!

I wasn't a big fan of Flip at center when he was with us originally. But his ability to slide to wing could make a nice mentor for a guy like Rasmussen (or Hughes...), as they could swap duties as needed. They could each play half the game at center, so a kid could learn the ropes but not be on the hook as the full time guy there. also, if the kid is having a particularly rough night or has a really bad match-up, Flip could handle it that night, and the kid could take over the next game.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
An article on the Athletic linked the Red Wings to Brayden Point. The article said "One of the teams you hear as most likely to consider an offer sheet is the Red Wings...."

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
An article on the Athletic linked the Red Wings to Brayden Point. The article said "One of the teams you hear as most likely to consider an offer sheet is the Red Wings...."

Do. Not. Want. Know how fun its been to point to Ottawa's shortsighted behavior trading a lottery pick? Take that and times it by 4.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Do. Not. Want. Know how fun its been to point to Ottawa's shortsighted behavior trading a lottery pick? Take that and times it by 4.

I would do it for the compensation level of two first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder (up to 10.1M cap hit).....not for the four first rounders (10.1M+) though.

If you can somehow add a 40+ goal, good defensive, 22 year old center and only give up two first round picks I think you have to do it. Don't forget, they would still keep this year's ~top 5 pick in this scenario as the draft is already over before free agency begins in the offseason.

Zadina - Point - Bertuzzi
Hughes - Larkin - Mantha

The forward group is pretty much set at that point. Top end/elite talent, and young. Then you have the next 5+ years to figure out how to improve the defense. I would take the risk, even if getting that top defenseman would be more difficult.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I would do it for the compensation level of two first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder (up to 10.1M cap hit).....not for the four first rounders (10.1M+) though.

Even 2 first rounders is way too much. Even with Point this team isn't a lock for the playoffs. It'd be smarter to just try to trade for him straight up.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The chances we draft someone better than Brayden Point (who is 22 years old) is slim. I wouldn't trade four 1st rounders, but I'd trade a lot.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Even 2 first rounders is way too much. Even with Point this team isn't a lock for the playoffs. It'd be smarter to just try to trade for him straight up.

Way too much? Agree to disagree. What's the hit rate on top 10 picks? I'd guess that at least 50% of them don't live up to expectations. Trading two of them for a 22 year old star center basically gives you the same odds as having a couple top 10 picks....1 star and 1 bust (i.e. no pick after trading it away).

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

The Senators traded for a player who was an UFA in 2 years, was 27 years old at the time of the trade, and isn't nearly as good as Point is. Brayden Point would be under team control for like 5 years and is much better. Way different scenarios.

Reactions: Snuggs

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The Senators traded for a player who was an UFA in 2 years, was 27 years old at the time of the trade, and isn't nearly as good as Point is. Brayden Point would be under team control for like 5 years and is much better. Way different scenarios.

2 years for 1 first rounder, vs 2-4 for ~5 years. Its not that much different, and the differences are worse for Detroit, which still isn't a playoff team with Point, losing its best tool for years to continue to build.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If we draft a center, I’m all for signing Filppula to a one year deal. He was a good Red Wing and I agree with the idea of him being a good vet to have here for a year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Point continues for the next five+ years to be as productive as he is now, a couple of first rounders is an easy price to pay. we're unlikely to get a guy better than him with any picks we'd lose in that scenario and he's at an age that would allow him to slide right into our rebuild and be a foundation piece. Also, Point plays in Tampa. It wouldn't only weaken a divisional rival, but it's also a team that plays a system similar to what Blashill plays in Detroit. We know the guy works well in that system, and can be a productive player in it.

I like more the idea @The Zetterberg Era had of going after Trouba, largely because the blueline is a position of need...but there's nothing saying we could't go after both... .

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Rasmussen + Zadina + McIsaac + Regula would be roughly the same kind of package

I'd do that for Point

You'd do this even if we didn't win the 1st or 2nd pick or is this assuming that?

I like Point a lot. Only guy my face is cringing at letting go is Zadina in that package.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You'd do this even if we didn't win the 1st or 2nd pick or is this assuming that?

I like Point a lot. Only guy my face is cringing at letting go is Zadina in that package.

edit: I misread your post

I don't know what I would do for certain, I'm just sort of brainstorming in general

Point is a great player, it is making me consider a lot of things

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Rasmussen + Zadina + McIsaac + Regula would be roughly the same kind of package

I'd do that for Point

And how many of those potential 2nd rounders could the Wings replace by dealing any of Green/Daley/Ericsson? The Wings could effectively end up dealing a couple of firsts for a first line/top pair skater.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Point is getting pretty overrated

i'm not convinced that he's noticeably better than Larkin without Kucherov,that's still a good player but the Wings are still very far off being a good team and need to do better than that with their picks

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If Point continues for the next five+ years to be as productive as he is now, a couple of first rounders is an easy price to pay. we're unlikely to get a guy better than him with any picks we'd lose in that scenario and he's at an age that would allow him to slide right into our rebuild and be a foundation piece. Also, Point plays in Tampa. It wouldn't only weaken a divisional rival, but it's also a team that plays a system similar to what Blashill plays in Detroit. We know the guy works well in that system, and can be a productive player in it.

I like more the idea @The Zetterberg Era had of going after Trouba, largely because the blueline is a position of need...but there's nothing saying we could't go after both... .

1. Draft top 5 (hopefully Hughes/Kaako).
2. Offer sheet and sign Point.
3. Trade package including one of AA/Mantha for Trouba.

That would be a game changing offseason.

Reactions: A II R

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I wouldn't want to trade Zadina, but if you're getting someone like Point back you have to consider it. Point plays a more important position, is only a few years older, and the Wings will be lucky if Zadina is ever as good as Point is playing now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00