Speculation: 2019 UFA targets

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
pretty much just Karlsson/Panarin/Stone for me(although I could be persuaded on Duchene depending on the price)

not crazy about adding a Winger but I think both Panarin and Stone are elite players that are capable of carrying a line and both still young enough that they probably won't decline a ton by the end of their contracts

not interested in anyone else,Skinner I think is gonna get paid a lot more than he's worth and Gardiner I may be interested in if the Wings weren't so far off being a good team but at this point I think he would probably do more harm than good in the long run

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
well looks like Stone is extending with Vegas so that's one of the few guys I was interested in this offseason off the market already

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Defense.

I don't think we need to spend major cash on forwards yet. Fix the blueline and the rest should fall into place.
Can't fix the blueline yet. Too much term still on below-average talent. After next season is the time to address the back end. This offseason I go all in on Panarin. 7 years @ $10.5 million per.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Can't fix the blueline yet. Too much term still on below-average talent. After next season is the time to address the back end. This offseason I go all in on Panarin. 7 years @ $10.5 million per.
The entire point of Panarin wanting out of CBJ is he wants a hot nightlife and his smoking hot gf wants to live somewhere where she can continue her modeling career. Panarin isn’t coming to Detroit. There will be teams that will be both better than the Wings and in locations more suited to what he wants pursuing him.

I would not be opposed to Duchene on a 5 year 47.5 mil deal, or Karlsson at a mil or so higher. Realistically I can see us signing Edler and a guy like Kevin Hayes and calling it a day though.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The entire point of Panarin wanting out of CBJ is he wants a hot nightlife and his smoking hot gf wants to live somewhere where she can continue her modeling career. Panarin isn’t coming to Detroit. There will be teams that will be both better than the Wings and in locations more suited to what he wants pursuing him.

I would not be opposed to Duchene on a 5 year 47.5 mil deal, or Karlsson at a mil or so higher. Realistically I can see us signing Edler and a guy like Kevin Hayes and calling it a day though.
He needs to dump that bitch and find a girl that likes Detroit style hot dogs and beers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What's the point? They're gonna suck bad next year regardless. Just wait until after next season when we have a better idea of what the kids can do then fill the holes.

I hope he doesn't sign Kronwall. The following year Erickson, Daley, Franzen (LTIR) and Green are also off the books. Too bad there's still almost $10M tied up in Nielsen and Abby, otherwise we'd be able to buy a decent roster.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Pretty much everything should be going into EK65. I doubt we'll get him, but that should be what we're going for.

I think they should only go that hard for him if they land Hughes. Beyond that adding EK wouldn't push them over the hump, but would put them in that #9-11 hell that we should all fear.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think they should only go that hard for him if they land Hughes. Beyond that adding EK wouldn't push them over the hump, but would put them in that #9-11 hell that we should all fear.

Yeah, I agree with this. If we don't get #1, we shouldn't go after Karlsson and honestly I don't think Karlsson will be that enticed to come here now without an extra incentive. With Zetterberg gone and now Nyquist gone as well, the Swedish contingent that is good is now gone, so if that was a reason to come here, it is no longer, and we aren't even close with Hughes to be competitive right now.

It is disappointing to even hear they may resign Kronwall as it is time to move on, even if he wants to come back. I think buyout Ericsson, just so we can play someone else in his spot, as clearly Blashill is going to play the guy whether he is the right guy for the job or not.

I am falsely hoping Yzerman comes in before 2 seasons from now, and clears all our current veteran D and goes full fresh for next season. No Ericsson, Daley, Dekeyser, Kronwall with the exception of Green, he can stay.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

You don’t pass on taking a run at guys like Karlsson and Trouba because guys like Daley, Green, and Ericsson all have a year left and I guarantee the Wings won’t either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Too bad there's still almost $10M tied up in Nielsen and Abby, otherwise we'd be able to buy a decent roster.

Those final juggernaut contracts are quite meaningless on the books, because those millions will be transferred straight to our RFA contract extensions after ELCs of our kid core.

Reactions: Reddwit
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I know depth free agents are less fun to talk about, but I really don't see any of the big names considering Detroit, so which depth players do you think we may target? Obviously lots can change, teams can resign players, but I think if I was in charge I would simply go after a few depth guys to make sure the team is competitive enough. Some random names I've come across:

-Anton Stralman (D): He's a top 4 D on any NHL team, he'd be a top pairing guy on our team. Tampa will already be in a severe cap crunch, so I don't see him going back there. Still relatively young (31 years old), I'd consider signing him, assuming the asking price is not ridiculous.

-Ben Chiarot (D) : Would easily crack our top 4. He's still young (27) and I think he would fit in nicely with the Wings. The Jets are similar to Tampa in that they will be in a cap crunch, and Chiarot is due for a decent raise from his current salary of 1.4 mil.

-Carl Gunnarsson (D): His play has fallen off a bit this year, but again, he's easily a top 6 D on our team. I wouldn't want to throw too much money or term at him, but I think he could be a short term help to make us competitive.

-Jan Rutta (D): Worth a gamble, again he's probably better than what we have on D.

-Anders Lee (LW): Highly unlikely that he even reaches UFA status, I think the Isles like him and will resign him. Even if he does reach UFA status, highly unlikely we offer him the money he is looking for. He has earned a nice payday, and will get it. It is still intriguing to think about adding a goal scorer of his ability to the mix.

-Brett Connolly: (W) I also don't think the Caps let him reach UFA status, as he should be relatively chap for them to bring back. If he does, I'd negotiate with him. Still young, produces decent numbers, and is a hard worker.

-Joonas Donskoi (RW): He is somewhat buried in the Sharks system, as they have a ton of depth offensively. I think there is far more production in him, and we could be a team that he considers to get more ice time, and more production.

-Riley Sheahan (C): I know it's ridiculous that I am adding him here, and am currently laughing as I am writing this. Still though, he was always a hard worker, and if no other teams are biting on him, why not give him a second chance? I'm talking at a low salary, on a 1 or 2 year deal. There will probably be other teams interested in him as a depth forward, and I could even see him resigning in Florida, but if we can get him at a cheap rate, why not? He's more useful than plugging in some random AHL journeyman to fill out the roster.

-Tyler Ennis: (W): Leafs are in cap hell. I've always liked him, and think there is more production in him than he is showing in Toronto because of their depth. Again, this would only be at a low cap hit, for a year or 2.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I know depth free agents are less fun to talk about, but I really don't see any of the big names considering Detroit, so which depth players do you think we may target? Obviously lots can change, teams can resign players, but I think if I was in charge I would simply go after a few depth guys to make sure the team is competitive enough. Some random names I've come across:

-Anton Stralman (D): He's a top 4 D on any NHL team, he'd be a top pairing guy on our team. Tampa will already be in a severe cap crunch, so I don't see him going back there. Still relatively young (31 years old), I'd consider signing him, assuming the asking price is not ridiculous.

-Ben Chiarot (D) : Would easily crack our top 4. He's still young (27) and I think he would fit in nicely with the Wings. The Jets are similar to Tampa in that they will be in a cap crunch, and Chiarot is due for a decent raise from his current salary of 1.4 mil.

-Carl Gunnarsson (D): His play has fallen off a bit this year, but again, he's easily a top 6 D on our team. I wouldn't want to throw too much money or term at him, but I think he could be a short term help to make us competitive.

-Jan Rutta (D): Worth a gamble, again he's probably better than what we have on D.

-Anders Lee (LW): Highly unlikely that he even reaches UFA status, I think the Isles like him and will resign him. Even if he does reach UFA status, highly unlikely we offer him the money he is looking for. He has earned a nice payday, and will get it. It is still intriguing to think about adding a goal scorer of his ability to the mix.

-Brett Connolly: (W) I also don't think the Caps let him reach UFA status, as he should be relatively chap for them to bring back. If he does, I'd negotiate with him. Still young, produces decent numbers, and is a hard worker.

-Joonas Donskoi (RW): He is somewhat buried in the Sharks system, as they have a ton of depth offensively. I think there is far more production in him, and we could be a team that he considers to get more ice time, and more production.

-Riley Sheahan (C): I know it's ridiculous that I am adding him here, and am currently laughing as I am writing this. Still though, he was always a hard worker, and if no other teams are biting on him, why not give him a second chance? I'm talking at a low salary, on a 1 or 2 year deal. There will probably be other teams interested in him as a depth forward, and I could even see him resigning in Florida, but if we can get him at a cheap rate, why not? He's more useful than plugging in some random AHL journeyman to fill out the roster.

-Tyler Ennis: (W): Leafs are in cap hell. I've always liked him, and think there is more production in him than he is showing in Toronto because of their depth. Again, this would only be at a low cap hit, for a year or 2.

The Wings could literally go through the offseason and not sign a single free agent and be fine going into next year with virtually the same roster as this year. The differences would be MINUS: Vanek, Howard, Witkowski; PLUS: two of 1st round pick/Svechnikov/Zadina/Ehn/Cholowski/Veleno/Sulak/etc., Sateri.

They don't need to be going after support players in all honestly, and I would recommend that they avoid it altogether unless they are able to move contracts leading up to the draft. Trading Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Daley, Green, etc. would be the only scenario where they should pursue support players in my mind.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
We already have overpaid role players locked into too much term that we've cultivated in-house, no need to go looking for more in free agency

Karlsson or bust

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The Wings could literally go through the offseason and not sign a single free agent and be fine going into next year with virtually the same roster as this year. The differences would be MINUS: Vanek, Howard, Witkowski; PLUS: two of 1st round pick/Svechnikov/Zadina/Ehn/Cholowski/Veleno/Sulak/etc., Sateri.

They don't need to be going after support players in all honestly, and I would recommend that they avoid it altogether unless they are able to move contracts leading up to the draft. Trading Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Daley, Green, etc. would be the only scenario where they should pursue support players in my mind.

Yeah I get what you are saying, and I would be perfectly fine not doing anything. I don't think this is the approach Holland will take though. Holland will almost certainly go and fill the lineup with other players.

For some reason I see him going extremely hard after Stralman. That is the exact type of signing Holland loves to do. I'm calling right now that Stralman or Chiarot will be Wings next year.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd love Karlsson as well, but no point in speculating over something that is completely unrealistic. It would be great, but why exactly would Karlsson sign with the Wings. 0.01% chance it happens. He wants to compete for a Cup and win now. We are a joke, and will be horrible for AT LEAST one more year. Big name UFAs are not considering Detroit at the moment, it's the sad reality.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd love Karlsson as well, but no point in speculating over something that is completely unrealistic. It would be great, but why exactly would Karlsson sign with the Wings. 0.01% chance it happens. He wants to compete for a Cup and win now. We are a joke, and will be horrible for AT LEAST one more year. Big name UFAs are not considering Detroit at the moment, it's the sad reality.
He misses Ottawa but doesn’t want to lose face?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Erik Karlsson is the obvious answer. After that, I wouldn't mind Duchene, Panarin, Skinner, or even Eberle on this team. We can Howard go and sign Bobrovsky too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad