Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
What did he say that was wrong?
"The Red Wings also don’t seem inclined to want to stockpile more draft picks. Holland pointed out the team has had 31 picks from 2017-2019 and has a number of young players already on the roster, in Grand Rapids or elsewhere in the system."

He thinks we have enough... Ugh no

Reactions: Filppula

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
"The Red Wings also don’t seem inclined to want to stockpile more draft picks. Holland pointed out the team has had 31 picks from 2017-2019 and has a number of young players already on the roster, in Grand Rapids or elsewhere in the system."

That could be posturing on his part, i.e. he doesn't really value picks as much...or that he'd rather have NHL ready prospects, which is fine with me, since our PO window should open in the next 1 yr, but probably 2 yrs. Still a 2C & 1D/2D hole to fill if/when Jimmy resigns.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That could be posturing on his part, i.e. he doesn't really value picks as much...or that he'd rather have NHL ready prospects, which is fine with me, since our PO window should open in the next 1 yr, but probably 2 yrs. Still a 2C & 1D/2D hole to fill if/when Jimmy resigns.
He's openly started, several times, he hopes to push for a playoff spot next season. It's insanity, I know.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

He did not say that tho. The article writer interpreted that. I interpreted something different and that is he doesn't want to rebuild like the Oilers. He is saying if they trade players, don't expect them to come back... and if they do, then plan on overpaying and giving out NMC. And that could be for any UFA.

Ken Holland Said:
“But at the same time, while I’m working the phones, if somebody thinks they got a chance to go on a long playoff run and one of our players is the piece they really want to add to their team then I have to look at doing that."

Ken Holland Said:
“A big part of that has got to be through young players, but those young players need to be complemented with veteran players that help make us more competitive,” Holland said. “Do I trade players for future assets? Do you keep piling on the future assets and trade players away knowing that you probably won’t get them back and that’s going to affect your ability to compete in ’19-20?
“That’s what we’re going to weigh. Work the phones, see if people have any interest in our players, but beyond interest, interest to where it makes sense to trade those players vs. trying to build a better

I see no reason to build like the Oilers and throw ALL the kids in the fire so it all implodes year-after-year. Yes McDavid is nice, but rebuilding as long as they have (and still are) is unacceptable. Rebuild the right way, and that requires exactly what Ken Holland said above: "young players need to be complemented with veteran players"

Otherwise you are Edmonton Oilers.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He did not say that tho. The article writer interpreted that. I interpreted something different and that is he doesn't want to rebuild like the Oilers. He is saying if they trade players, don't expect them to come back... and if they do, then plan on overpaying and giving out NMC. And that could be for any UFA.

I see no reason to build like the Oilers and throw ALL the kids in the fire so it all implodes year-after-year. Yes McDavid is nice, but rebuilding as long as they have (and still are) is unacceptable. Rebuild the right way, and that requires exactly what Ken Holland said above: "young players need to be complemented with veteran players"

Otherwise you are Edmonton Oilers.

No, you're the Edmonton Oilers when you don't trade from places of strength and instead horde all the forwards. Just like Detroit is turning into.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No, you're the Edmonton Oilers when you don't trade from places of strength and instead horde all the forwards. Just like Detroit is turning into.
Maybe if you use those picks to draft a mix of decent to mediocre forwards, sure. But despite my displeasure at drafting Rasmussen and preference to take a defenseman over Zadina at the time, so far Detroit has chosen a very good mix of forwards, and had at least two defensemen show promise in Cholowski and Hronek.

Now they definitely still have work to do, but I'm a lot more thumbs up than thumbs down on their drafting since the playoff streak ended.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

You were on-board with trading Tatar and Larkin for Trouba?

Jets/Red Wings trade:

"we should be upset with our team’s GM for not making this deal happen, but based solely on speculation, I’m not expecting I’d be unhappy with Holland having said no to a price tag involving Dylan Larkin and another high-level forward." [source]

Yeah, I can't get on with that trade. And if Ken Holland did that trade, I can only imagine your hate for him would only be more amplified. Or maybe you are that reckless... I don't know. But some trades you win by not making a trade, which is exactly the situation here. So props to Ken Holland for not following your "path". We're a better team now because of it!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You were on-board with trading Tatar and Larkin for Trouba?

Yeah, I can't get on with that trade. And if Ken Holland did that trade, I can only imagine your hate for him would only be more amplified. Or maybe you are that reckless... I don't know. But some trades you win by not making a trade, which is exactly the situation here. So props to Ken Holland for not following your "path". We're a better team now because of it!

Unless another forward came back, I wouldn't make that trade. But Trouba is a better defender than Tatar or Larkin are individually at their positions. Like if Detroit had a #1 center in the making already, I would have considered trading Larkin straight up for Trouba in 2016. Even know I'd throw Ras, Cholo and Veleno at Edmonton to get Trouba.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I see no reason to build like the Oilers and throw ALL the kids in the fire so it all implodes year-after-year. Yes McDavid is nice, but rebuilding as long as they have (and still are) is unacceptable. Rebuild the right way, and that requires exactly what Ken Holland said above: "young players need to be complemented with veteran players.

Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, etc. will have been in the league for 3-4 seasons. Larkin will get the C next season. They are already the foundation and leaders of the team. They don't need anymore vets. This team needs skill and talent.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, etc. will have been in the league for 3-4 seasons. Larkin will get the C next season. They are already the foundation and leaders of the team. They don't need anymore vets. This team needs skill and talent.

Yep. And that's what Nyquist will bring on the team second most of current players.

It's just unbelieveable to hear this idiot choir who don't want re-sign Nyquist at summer. Traded or not.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Yep. And that's what Nyquist will bring on the team second most of current players.

It's just unbelieveable to hear this idiot choir who don't want re-sign Nyquist at summer. Traded or not.

To me, the only player who definitely needs to be let go is Vanek and, maybe, Nielsen. As a fan, I still want them to ice the most competitive team possible, whether they make the playoffs next year or not. Getting rid of Nyquist and Jensen in the hopes of hitting some sort of a jackpot 5 years down the road is stupid, in my opinion. I know that a lot of people on this board want to disband the whole roster and start from the beginning, but I am not willing to wait through 10 years of sucking (and it will not be less than that). Ultimately, the management will do what they think makes the most financial sense.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I've seen enough of Nyquist to know his career in Detroit should be over. He's turning 30 and has been a disappointment ever since his rookie season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've seen enough of Nyquist to know his career in Detroit should be over. He's turning 30 and has been a disappointment ever since his rookie season.

And he is a great particle in a deep TOP9 offence, which we will have during Nyquist next contract. He can go elsewhere after that, but we don't have ANY KIDS EVEN NEAR OF HIS TALENT to jump over at next season or few seasons after next season.

We will have those kids in the future, but they are not there yet.

Reactions: lilidk

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And he is a great particle in a deep TOP9 offence, which we will have during Nyquist next contract. He can go elsewhere after that, but we don't have ANY KIDS EVEN NEAR OF HIS TALENT to jump over at next season or few seasons after next season.

This team already have Nielsen, Helm and Abelkader locked up long-term. This team doesn't need anymore average players.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This team already have Nielsen, Helm and Abelkader locked up long-term. This team doesn't need anymore average players.

Nobody is going to trade 2nd, let alone a 1st rounder for an average player [Nyquist] as you claim.

But isn't Nyquist like 2nd or 3rd in points on the Red Wings? Who fills that gap?

Reactions: lilidk

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Still not worth signing him to a 6-8 year deal.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nobody is going to trade 2nd, let alone a 1st rounder for an average player [Nyquist] as you claim.

But isn't Nyquist like 2nd or 3rd in points on the Red Wings? Who fills that gap?

zadina, future draft prospect, more prime aged UFA in a year or two.

there are plenty of options.

brian boyle, a bad hockey player, was just traded for a 2nd couple of weeks ago.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
One year anniversary of the Mrazek trade. Lets make it a tradition and move Howard today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad