Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Heck, that applies to almost any Flyer forward with and away from Couts!

The key to finding value is looking for those anomalies, where a player is stuck with bad forwards or a bad defensive partner - or how some people underrate Patrick this year.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
God no, his return is gonna be massive. Throw money at him July 1st.

Ditch the slop and promote kids only
Who knows what it would take but I'll take the 26 year old producing at a PPG pace over a nice package of picks and prospects, especially if Fletcher can do it without giving up Frost and Myers. What are the chances of him making it to FA? 50% at best?

Reactions: dag54

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They cant afford to trade Gudas at this point. Would have to be a wild overpayment.

Just move Simmonds, Elliott, and if you can, Raffl. The sooner the better for the first 2.

Reactions: mdm815

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They cant afford to trade Gudas at this point. Would have to be a wild overpayment.

Just move Simmonds, Elliott, and if you can, Raffl. The sooner the better for the first 2.
Ultimate best case scenario is they trade Hagg too because he’s simply horrible and his value isn’t going to get any higher. I’d bet there’s a GM out there that will overvalue his pathetic skill set.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Realistically, Sam Morin is the Flyers fans' version of an immortal flying unicorn.
Yeah pretty much this. He very well may turn out to be the guy we want him to be, but after almost six years from being drafted and nothing to show for it, it is hard to really confidently project him anywhere. I know people will say injuries, and conspiracy against him (or other young players), but the fact remains is he is a first round pick with virtually no NHL experience six years after being drafted. We knew he would take a little longer to develop, but no one had this in mind. People used to say it was because he was taller and that's why it will take him longer. Then it was injuries. Now it is conspiracy or stupidity of the organization. I've said this before and people always disagree, but I don't think if Morin was a Penguins prospect that anyone would be talking about him as anything other than a bust or a bad pick that won't make the NHL as anything more than a bottom pair guy. He isn't lighting up the AHL when healthy. He also isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it isn't like when he plays in the AHL your eyes are opening up saying wow this kid will be good like some of our other prospects.

That doesn't mean he won't make it and that doesn't mean I am calling him DOA and saying we should give up or trade him for peanuts or anything like that, but I also don't think it is realistic to confidently say he's going to be a regular NHL player. I hope he is because his style of play is something I think we need and because he was such a high pick with other guys picked around him that are excelling. But to say he is better than Hagg (or anyone) at this point I think is a bit of stretch. You want him to be given a chance, I agree 100%. But I don't think a guy that has barely played since the end of the 2017 season with little to no NHL experience is better than Hagg (or anyone else) at this point I think is wishful thinking. Possible for sure, but a bit of a stretch to act like it would be some travesty if he doesn't get a look.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah pretty much this. He very well may turn out to be the guy we want him to be, but after almost six years from being drafted and nothing to show for it, it is hard to really confidently project him anywhere. I know people will say injuries, and conspiracy against him (or other young players), but the fact remains is he is a first round pick with virtually no NHL experience six years after being drafted. We knew he would take a little longer to develop, but no one had this in mind. People used to say it was because he was taller and that's why it will take him longer. Then it was injuries. Now it is conspiracy or stupidity of the organization. I've said this before and people always disagree, but I don't think if Morin was a Penguins prospect that anyone would be talking about him as anything other than a bust or a bad pick that won't make the NHL as anything more than a bottom pair guy. He isn't lighting up the AHL when healthy. He also isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it isn't like when he plays in the AHL your eyes are opening up saying wow this kid will be good like some of our other prospects.

That doesn't mean he won't make it and that doesn't mean I am calling him DOA and saying we should give up or trade him for peanuts or anything like that, but I also don't think it is realistic to confidently say he's going to be a regular NHL player. I hope he is because his style of play is something I think we need and because he was such a high pick with other guys picked around him that are excelling. But to say he is better than Hagg (or anyone) at this point I think is a bit of stretch. You want him to be given a chance, I agree 100%. But I don't think a guy that has barely played since the end of the 2017 season with little to no NHL experience is better than Hagg (or anyone else) at this point I think is wishful thinking. Possible for sure, but a bit of a stretch to act like it would be some travesty if he doesn't get a look.

The most annoying thing about Morin is he should have made the team over Hagg and there was no valid reason he didn't.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't see Simmonds being dealt. Sucks but as long as they Flyers walk after the year I'm fine with it. He'll want too much money come July 1st.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
- or how some people underrate Patrick this year.
Who has underrated Patrick this year?

Through Jan. 12 his stat line was:

38 GP, 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points, -9, 63 SOG, 14:36 TOI.

He was tied with Dale Weise in points & 1 behind Robert Hagg.

That’s downright bad. Any criticism of his play up to that point was valid.

Then he had a 4 point night against Minnesota &, in particular, has looked like a completely different player the last week or two.

But I’ve seen nothing but praise for his recent play.

So I don’t see how he’s been underrated.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If only there were a way to judge players before they play NHL games...

Hmmm....

Just use scouting reports from their draft year.

Also, please ignore the hundreds of games since then and then allow 400 NHL games or hitting Age 29 before making a decision. Preferably both, but if you want to be hasty, that's on you.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just use scouting reports from their draft year.

Also, please ignore the hundreds of games since then and then allow 400 NHL games or hitting Age 29 before making a decision. Preferably both, but if you want to be hasty, that's on you.
True.

I definitely didn’t watch them play on the same team for a season and have an easy way to compare the two.

Nah, I’m just a fanboy who can’t see past Morins size and draft position.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Morin is good right away in the NHL, but his AHL years were much closer to Hagg's than they were to Sanheim's.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Who has underrated Patrick this year?

Through Jan. 12 his stat line was:

38 GP, 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points, -9, 63 SOG, 14:36 TOI.

He was tied with Dale Weise in points & 1 behind Robert Hagg.

That’s downright bad. Any criticism of his play up to that point was valid.

Then he had a 4 point night against Minnesota &, in particular, has looked like a completely different player the last week or two.

But I’ve seen nothing but praise for his recent play.

So I don’t see how he’s been underrated.

More importantly, he was bad regardless of his linemates and usage. This was not a TK situation where it was clear from his individual play that if given a better situation he'd explode. This was a Patrick-Sucking situation. The only thing he had going for him was defense.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
...and Robert Hagg is the Hakstol's fanboy version of being safe and reliable, even though the numbers show he's anything but......
to be fair . No one is reliable on that blue line this year... Well maybe Gudas is having a steady season.. everyone else needs to get better in a hurry..

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
More importantly, he was bad regardless of his linemates and usage. This was not a TK situation where it was clear from his individual play that if given a better situation he'd explode. This was a Patrick-Sucking situation. The only thing he had going for him was defense.
Yup. He had more than his fair share of time with Voracek. And frankly hurt Voracek’s production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad