WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Very curious to see if Fischer just replaces one forward with Andrighetto (Martschini?) or scratches one defensemen and plays 7+13. This is a tough decision.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So, after this game I think that the odd man out will actually be Praplan. Martschini was dangerous and got himself into scoring positions several times against a tough team doing a good job protecting the crease and pushing the play along the board, I think he has proven that he belongs. Praplan and the other hand is dragging down Hischier and Fiala.

And please work on those special team before the next game, that's painful to watch. I don't think the player material is the problem, even though I would have put Moser in front of the net on the PP, but the system just doesn't work. We need quick passes, not a player waiting hours to make the perfect box breaking pass.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Talking about bullies:

Overall 20 of 54
Hischier 6 of 12
Praplan 2 of 4
Diaz 1 of 2
Haas 9 of 16
Kurashev 2 of 7
Martschini 0 of 1
Rod 0 of 2
Bertschy 0 of 9

Frick/Fora had an excellent game, by the way. Genazzi/Loeffel obviously the 4th pairing right now. Genazzi had just 6:53 of ice-time. Could well mean we'll see 7+13 on Tuesday.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I agree about Praplan.
The Kurashev-line was way more effective than I expected, and Martschini has earned his spot.

Im still amazed by the calm and smartness of Moser. I know, we were raving about him already during the U-20, but to make the transition this smoothely to the senior level. Impressive.

Reactions: pukovnik

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Im still amazed by the calm and smartness of Moser. I know, we were raving about him already during the U-20, but to make the transition this smoothely to the senior level. Impressive.

Reminds me a lot of Mirco Müller. And I'm pretty sure this WC will help him rise in the NHL-draft.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Didn't Andrighetto take a lot of face offs last year, despite being a winger or do I mix up somethin? Maybe he can help improve the team in that area. I really liked Martschini again today, he showed that he can play on this level against a decent team. Haas on the other hand has been disapointing so far. Despite one good chance on the PP and his face off wins, he was pretty much invisible today. Ifs wants to show his skills to the NHL scouts he needs to find another gear. Josi wasn't on his best either despite his assist on the Hischier goal. The young Moser apparently wants to get himself drafted and was rock solid just like yesterday.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Talking about bullies:

Overall 20 of 54
Hischier 6 of 12
Praplan 2 of 4
Diaz 1 of 2
Haas 9 of 16
Kurashev 2 of 7
Martschini 0 of 1
Rod 0 of 2
Bertschy 0 of 9

Frick/Fora had an excellent game, by the way. Genazzi/Loeffel obviously the 4th pairing right now. Genazzi had just 6:53 of ice-time. Could well mean we'll see 7+13 on Tuesday.

That's far from ideal for a 4th line center. Fortunately he does a lot of other things good at this position.

We should send our Cs to special units with Tanner Richard.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Didn't Andrighetto take a lot of face offs last year, despite being a winger or do I mix up somethin? Maybe he can help improve the team in that area.

No, you are exactly right - he did. It worked quite well in the beginning, but the longer it lasted the less faceoffs he won. Watch out, Fischer will send him to the faceoff circle again when push comes to shove. :nod:

Reactions: Speyer

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
In the "no one cares" category, I just watched the winning goal on all three TV channels and I came to the Conclusion that Ales Tamburini is by far the most enthusiastic commentator. :DD

Reactions: jonas2244

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Didn't Andrighetto take a lot of face offs last year, despite being a winger or do I mix up somethin? Maybe he can help improve the team in that area. I really liked Martschini again today, he showed that he can play on this level against a decent team. Haas on the other hand has been disapointing so far. Despite one good chance on the PP and his face off wins, he was pretty much invisible today. Ifs wants to show his skills to the NHL scouts he needs to find another gear. Josi wasn't on his best either despite his assist on the Hischier goal. The young Moser apparently wants to get himself drafted and was rock solid just like yesterday.

I agree on all your point. I'll add that Ambühl is good at faceoffs too, so switching him with Hofmann so he can take some draws instead of Kurashev might be an option.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
In the "no one cares" category, I just watched the winning goal on all three TV channels and I came to the Conclusion that Ales Tamburini is by far the most enthusiastic commentator. :DD

I did that a lot last year during the WC.

And whenever Claude Jaggi or the new guy is on-air, I gladly switch to RSI. Same enthiusiasm as in the fan culture in Ticino.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And whenever Claude Jaggi or the new guy is on-air, I gladly switch to RSI. Same enthiusiasm as in the fan culture in Ticino.

It's Billeter&Rottaris. They're fine, I can live with them.

The most positive note of the first two games in my opinion is the D-corps. The lines fit good together, Weber was solid, Diaz&Moser and Frick&Fora were also very good. And also Loeffel/Genazzi did nothing wrong.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Billeter is pretty good I think, but don't get me started on the RTS guys.

Agree on the point about the defender, but I still think it would have been better to have a better option than Weber to play with Josi against the top teams.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Reminds me a lot of Mirco Müller. And I'm pretty sure this WC will help him rise in the NHL-draft.

True. Play it smart and smoothly. Keep it simple and effective, with puckmoving skills to back it up. Maybe even a bit more cerebral.
I think a young Diaz is a good comparsion too.

Considering, there's a second D with a similar high hockey sense in Tim Berni, that is a potential U20 returnee next season, Im already looking forward to next year's christmas time.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer said that Berni also would have been an candidate if he wouldn't have had exams right now.

Some solid D-men are at that age group, I wonder how they progress. Le Coultre made a big step, he'll play NLA next year. Moser, Gross, Aebischer, Berni are all very interesting.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I didn't mean Billeter.:laugh:

Billeter is fine, and Bührer has been the best man in the sports departement in general for ages IMO.

I meant the one who did some prep. matches. The one, that kept on raving about Sämi Kreis in a slight exaggerating manner. I don't know his name, but he's dreadful.

But not as dreadful as the guys on RTS. I agree with stv11.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Fischer said that Berni also would have been an candidate if he wouldn't have had exams right now.

Some solid D-men are at that age group, I wonder how they progress. Le Coultre made a big step, he'll play NLA next year. Moser, Gross, Aebischer, Berni are all very interesting.

Yep, definitely. No superstars, but those 4 give the 00 D class exceptional depth. Plus Barandun, Henauer and Anex aren't too shabby either. We might see no underager Ds at all at the U20 this year.

I liked the commitment and courage of LeCoultre too at the last U20. As Gross, he's got a fine potential upside, but both are 1 step behind Moser/Berni regarding hockey IQ.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I didn't mean Billeter.:laugh:

Billeter is fine, and Bührer has been the best man in the sports departement in general for ages IMO.

I meant the one who did some prep. matches. The one, that kept on raving about Sämi Kreis in a slight exaggerating manner. I don't know his name, but he's dreadful.

But not as dreadful as the guys on RTS. I agree with stv11.

If you mean the guy who kept telling us that Kurashev is 19 years old, thats Christoph Sterchi.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If you mean the guy who kept telling us that Kurashev is 19 years old, thats Christoph Sterchi.

I like Christoph Sterchi, he's good at the radio and has a solid knowledge at many sports. But he's horrible at commenting games.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

Yep, exactly!

While going on and on about the age of Nico and Philipp, he didn't even mention once the connection between the 2 as juniors in Bern and for Switzerland, not even when Kurashev scored his maiden goal, and Hischier visibly cheered for him.

That's ok for hockey freaks like us, who are aware, but poor work towards the mainstream.

Voice is horrible as well.

In general, let me put it this way. As long as they keep Daniela Milanese off the studio during the WC, I will even accept Schläpfer or Weber as experts during the breaks, and will listen once in a while.

Not many will agree with me probably, but I think they lost quite a lot of quality in the studio with the departure of Steffi Buchli.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I like Weber as a pundit, checking all three channels tonight he's the only one who took the time to explain why the Swiss PK broke down on the Latvia goal.

Better than that trend to invite some random former player whose analysis I can figure out myself.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Riat has been sent home. Still unlikely that Bertaggia would get to play, but who would have thought that he'd survive all the cuts?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I like Weber as a pundit, checking all three channels tonight he's the only one who took the time to explain why the Swiss PK broke down on the Latvia goal.

Better than that trend to invite some random former player whose analysis I can figure out myself.

He did indeed a good job there. Keep 'em coming.

But we had a lot of very dull evenings to go through with him in the past. Only stating the obvious. His lack of vocabulary is a bit of a problem IMO. For a while starting every answer with "That is so". I counted once 6x in a row! But I think, they noticed it, and have broken him loose of that habit. Maybe somebody started a drinking game about it.:)

Beside Rottaris, I always liked Weibel. He's a bit soft, but for a GK has a surprisingly good knowledge even outside of his comfortzone.

But I agree, by far not every guest they invited so far has added any value.

Im already looking forward to 15 years in the future when Fiala gets invited...:DD

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I can't really judge the vocabulary part, not being fluent in German myself, but in general I like coaches better than former players as pundits.

The only one I like is Marc Reichert, because even though we're the same age I look 10 years younger than him :DD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad