WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, looks like. But if Loeffel doesn't work out he surely is a possibility. But he doesn't get any younger, he's the oldest guy on the roster beside Ambühl and it may be the idea to keep him fresh for 5vs5 and boxplay.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Is there actually any chance left for Nino if Carolina looses the conferance finals before the knockout round starts or does Fischer have to lock in the final roster before that?

I know theres a big chance he would decline anyway after such a long season bit I would still like to know.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There isn't something like a final roster. You just have 22 skaters you can nominate and you can nominate them anytime you want. Theoretically you could nominate someone just for the final, if you have a roster-spot open. So it's theoretically possible if there is no injury and Fischer isn't forced to nominate Riat and Bertaggia.

Andrighetto will arrive on Sunday. We'll see if he plays vs. Latvia.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Ok thanks its probaly still unlikely he joins, people on the carolina board even suspect he is playing through an injury..

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer isn't very amused about Kukan, it seems:

"Er hat abgesagt. Er ist nicht Teil unseres WM-Teams, also reden wir nicht über ihn. Wir werden die Angelegenheit nach der WM klären."

"He declined. He's not part of our team and we won't talk about him. We'll clarify that after the WC."

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Do you have some context? Going by that sentence, it sounds more like Fischer was annoyed by being questionned about it.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So not much context given.

And on a related note... why did I start to read the whole piece? I had almost forgotten how mad Zaugg is.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, could be both. But the whole story is strange. Stephan Roth (who spread the rumor on twitter that Kukan would like to join) is normally well informed. We'll see.

Now let's have a good start into the tournament with two wins vs. Italy and Latvia.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Latvia is probably the key game this year, I'd be very surprised if Norway or Austria can get consistent enough to challenge for a quarterfinal spot.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Austria looks better than Norway. And Italy is probably the weakest team Switzerland faced in the last few years.
But yeah, winning all 4 games vs. "weaker" opponents once would be nice. But it's still a tough way to go.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Latvia is probably the key game this year, I'd be very surprised if Norway or Austria can get consistent enough to challenge for a quarterfinal spot.

Latvia unlucky again, their 2 C’s injured just few days before tournament.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Fischer isn't very amused about Kukan, it seems:

"Er hat abgesagt. Er ist nicht Teil unseres WM-Teams, also reden wir nicht über ihn. Wir werden die Angelegenheit nach der WM klären."

"He declined. He's not part of our team and we won't talk about him. We'll clarify that after the WC."

Something that puzzles me is, when Fischer is so strict with commitment like in Malgin's case, and maybe Kukan's. How can one explain, that he was in contact with the Islanders regarding Sbisa? A man who is notorious for declining invitations for various reason for ages? Why isn't he in his doghouse?

Not that I think that Sbisa would've been be a big help on the D, but it's weird nevertheless.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If I remember correctly he said he talked briefly to Sbisa on the phone and they decided that he wouldn't be an option.

As far as I understand Fischer asked all players for a commitment to the WC on home-ice next year and it looks like Sbisa did that (was also at the kickoff-day).

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
If I remember correctly he said he talked briefly to Sbisa on the phone and they decided that he wouldn't be an option.

As far as I understand Fischer asked all players for a commitment to the WC on home-ice next year and it looks like Sbisa did that (was also at the kickoff-day).
Oks. Thanks. That clarifies it somewhat.

The future of Sbisa is in the stars anyway. Weren't there rumours, he might retire and goes into private economy?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, there are rumors. It's been said that it's NHL or retire for him as he settled down in the USA with wife and kids.

It would be a pity, at the age of 29.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Yeah, there are rumors. It's been said that it's NHL or retire for him as he settled down in the USA with wife and kids.

You got to respect how he managed his career financially. His income over the time exciling his on ice value by quite a margin.

For his development as a player. I still think he could have done much better.

After being rushed to the NHL by the Flyers, which already cost him a year of development, and losing confidence step-by-step during his Anaheim years, he should have considered coming back to Europe, playing heavy minutes, and regain confidence. It's absolutely crucial for young Ds, especially for a guy like Sbisa, who had a lot of tools, but not the tool box (yet) to use them properly. It was already obvious to see during the lock-out, that his decisionmaking with the puck as well as his positioning without it needed a lot of work.

Of course, it would have been a risk. If he failed to develop and stand out in 1Europe. He might never came back to the NHL, and would have lost a lot of money.

So, he's become a borderline no-confidence NHL player at best and a punching bag in the Canucks forum, a well paid one though.

He even stated once during his VGK days, that he had a lack of on-ice confidence for a long time.

To say it in a Klaus Zaugg manner:
He's become the Ramon Vega of hockey.:)

Im not sure, he would be among our 8 best Ds, if everybody was available.

And I really hope, Mirco Mueller doesn't end up in similar fashion. It's worrying how quickly he lost confidence this year again after his excellent WC in Denmark.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to watson Andrighetto will not play on Sunday. And Fischer registers all Defenders and 12 forwards. One spot will kept open in case Nino can and would like to come.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Solid performance overall in today's game, although this was the weakest WC opponent Switzerland has faced in ages. Hopefully they won't be overconfident now, but I think that the games against France two weeks ago will work as a pretty good warning in the end.

Just two aspects I think should be improved. The defensemen need to be more careful with their positioning, especially Josi and Genazzi. They were a bit careless going forward at times, a better team would have been able to punish them. Then there's the power play, the puck didn't move very well despite the goals. I'd try Diaz in Loeffel's position.

Reactions: torero

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Regarding Sbisa, he didn't really play a lot with the Islanders this year.

So having a good WC could have improved his stock value. (what i would have done if i was in his situation !!) ... unless he is tired of hockey.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The main question is if he would have been able to play a good WC. And it looks like Fischer had the opinion that he would not be able to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad