WC: 2019 - Team Switzerland

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Riat has been sent home. Still unlikely that Bertaggia would get to play, but who would have thought that he'd survive all the cuts?

That's really a nice story and well deserved. So he trusts Bertaggia more than Riat if a defensive or energy player must be replaced. And with the addition of Andrighetto his superior offensive upside isn't needed anymore.

Riat hasn't really progressed as hoped this year. As has his same-aged colleague Thürkauf unfortunately.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I can't really judge the vocabulary part, not being fluent in German myself, but in general I like coaches better than former players as pundits.

The only one I like is Marc Reichert, because even though we're the same age I look 10 years younger than him :DD

So your generation is officially extinct in the NLA!

Unlike mine, who still stands strong.... even if Im older:huh:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Late 79 actually, so I too still have Vauclair. And Bezina hasn't retired yet, still one 1980 player left.

Regarding Bertaggia, I guess there's still a chance he's cut if Niederreiter comes, but that's still quite an achievement. He's the first player I would have cut looking at the first roster one month ago.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Late 79 actually, so I too still have Vauclair. And Bezina hasn't retired yet, still one 1980 player left.

Regarding Bertaggia, I guess there's still a chance he's cut if Niederreiter comes, but that's still quite an achievement. He's the first player I would have cut looking at the first roster one month ago.

Im getting old, of course Bezina. But he really should retire. He's slow as molasses nowadays.

Vauclair still delivers an upside for the few games he isn't injured.

So we are the same generation, but different draft classes. Early 79.

You would have cut Bertaggia before Paschoud? Can't believe that. I know how much you dislike him:D

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I also don't think he'll go in the first two rounds. 4th, maybe 3rd round. But one year ago he was nowhere, so even if he only gets drafted in the 7th round it's quite a rise.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
You would have cut Bertaggia before Paschoud? Can't believe that. I know how much you dislike him:D

I meant, among forwards. The thing with Bertaggia is that even at the NLA level he's only efficient when his speed gives him some separation from his opponent. As soon as there's a one on one battle, he's very easily knocked off the puck. I would have never thought that he could handle the much more physical international game.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Phew, what a evening game that was. Poor Slovaks. Felt like a ko-battle already.

Are there any news who gonna be replaced by Andrighetto?

Still think Praplan in his current shape is the most logical answer. Andrighetto woulf be a welcomed upgrade in skill and grit for the 1st line. Hopefully his confidence level is high enough to bring an immediate impact. In this case Fischer could keep the other lines unchanged.

So the question will be, if Praplan or Genazzi has to sit. Normally Im all for 7+13, but Genazzi with his past as a forward, is a bit more of a swiss army knife.

With the subpar PP last game, Fischer might be tempted to not only just replace one guy with Andrighetto, but mix them up completely.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I meant, among forwards. The thing with Bertaggia is that even at the NLA level he's only efficient when his speed gives him some separation from his opponent. As soon as there's a one on one battle, he's very easily knocked off the puck. I would have never thought that he could handle the much more physical international game.

True, even if his game never lacked any determination, his efficency in the NLA never was close to what was indicated by his qualities as a junior. I always though his tunnel vision was the worst of his shortcomings.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I haven't had a chance to see any games yet. For someone that has, how has Kurashev looked so far?

Thanks.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Pretty good. For sure it looks like he belongs to the level. Specially against Latvia he had a very good match, responsible without the puck and effective with.
If I remember he kinda sucked a bit on faceoffs, but the kid is great

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
One thing to learn from yesterday: Diaz is the much better option on the PP than Loeffel.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
One thing to learn from yesterday: Diaz is the much better option on the PP than Loeffel.

True. His decisionmaking with the puck is just considerably better, even if he hasn't the raw shooting power of Loeffel.

With the early game today, Im curious if Fischer gonna bring the fresh legs of Rod and Genazzi, and let 2 other guys sit resp. play 13th forward.

Any guesses?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Pretty good. For sure it looks like he belongs to the level. Specially against Latvia he had a very good match, responsible without the puck and effective with.
If I remember he kinda sucked a bit on faceoffs, but the kid is great

We have yet to see what he's capable of against the big name teams.

But one noticable thing certainly is. His head doesn't seem to have any problem to read the game properly, even on this advanced level. Which is very intriguing.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I didn't mean Billeter.:laugh:

Billeter is fine, and Bührer has been the best man in the sports departement in general for ages IMO.

I meant the one who did some prep. matches. The one, that kept on raving about Sämi Kreis in a slight exaggerating manner. I don't know his name, but he's dreadful.

But not as dreadful as the guys on RTS. I agree with stv11.

Must be Jaggi. He was already horrible during the playoffs..
Especially suring EHCB games. Just a little biased, this guy from Biel...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Must be Jaggi. He was already horrible during the playoffs..
Especially suring EHCB games. Just a little biased, this guy from Biel...

You missed the rest of the conversation, it's acctually Sterchi I was refering to.

But I agree about Jaggi. He shouldn't do hockey at all IMO and especially not when a Bern or Biel game is on.

Beside the bias, he's too easily offended by certain plays, and when he's offended his voice gets unbearable. Plus he's missing the exact eye way too often to see and report the little plays approprietly.

He's found his niche in cycling, I think. Its pace suits him much better, and he's quite knowledgable about it.

He's no Hans Jucker though. But who is?:)

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Janis Moser with a wrist injury out for the rest of the tournament. :(

Can't remember any incident yesterday. Maybe when he recieved that subpar pass from Scherwey in the boxplay, and was under immediate pressure.

It's a pity anyway.

With the high likeliness of Nino getting the last ticket, Ambühl could be not only the back-up option as a center, but as a defenseman as well.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think it's likely that Nino will come.

Frick as 7th D-man had 2 (quarters), 4 (semi), almost none (final) of icetime last year in the knockout-round. It's no problem to play with 6D if there'd be another injury. In terms of playing time. In terms of quality it's a blow, no question.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I don't think it's likely that Nino will come.

Because of fatigue? Injury? Or a comeback of the Canes?

Frick as 7th D-man had 2 (quarters), 4 (semi), almost none (final) of icetime last year in the knockout-round. It's no problem to play with 6D if there'd be another injury. In terms of playing time. In terms of quality it's a blow, no question.

True. But this was at the end of the tournament. And the left side had minute-eaters in spades with Josi, Müller and Kukan.

I know some of the big 6 nations, get along well with 6 Ds. But the Swiss still have to work harder for a similar game-quality and in intense games with a series of PP and BP situations, a 7th D can be very useful.

It's never good to lose players so early in the tournament. Sometimes injuries come in bunches and at the same position.

So it's very handy to have guys like Genazzi and Ambühl who have experience in the offense and defense. Like they had with Jeannin 10 years ago.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Fatigue. And also he'd need a few days to arrive, so he could maybe play next Tuesday. So I don't think Fischer will do that. But you'll never know, I just think likely is a little bit strong. ;)

Yeah, I always say that, it's important to have versatile players around, if you have some who can play Offense and Defense that is amazing. But it's also important to have guys around that can fill in a defensive or an offensive role.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I think Fischer has been in contact with Nino so he probably knows why is keeping that last spot. It’s true Nino looks tired out there but we will see.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
With Carolina being swept we might get Nino after all. The question is if he is hurt or to banged up to come. I dont think he would pass up on another chance for gold otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad