GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part 2

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It was an awful trade, but it’s hard to blame the Sabres for moving him. There were even rumors the Blues were willing to part with him around December-January, to go along with a rumor that they offered Peitrangelo to Toronto for Nylander.
They traded a #1C for almost nothing. It was easily the worst move of the year.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't get it. How is it hard to blame the Sabres for moving ROR?

At the time, he seemed checked out. Even though the media made a bigger deal of it than it was, the locker stall interview he gave where he said that he was losing his love for the game due to losing so much (paraphrasing) pissed a lot of people off (namely the Sabres organization).

Even a few months into this season, there was lots of discussion that he may be a locker room cancer, that losing follows him, etc.

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. Congrats to O’Reilly for proving everyone wrong.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
At the time, he seemed checked out. Even though the media made a bigger deal of it than it was, the locker stall interview he gave where he said that he was losing his love for the game due to losing so much (paraphrasing) pissed a lot of people off (namely the Sabres organization).

Even a few months into this season, there was lots of discussion that he may be a locker room cancer, that losing follows him, etc.

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. Congrats to O’Reilly for proving everyone wrong.
All of that was total BS. ROR was always a gamer no matter what some idiots were saying.

There was no legit excuse why he was traded for a bunch of crap. Therefore, its very easy to blame the Sabres. No wonder that organization is not getting anywhere.

Reactions: Punished ROR

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
All of that was total BS. ROR was always a gamer no matter what some idiots were saying.

There was no legit excuse why he was traded for a bunch of crap. Therefore, its very easy to blame the Sabres. No wonder that organization is not getting anywhere.

Whether is was crap or not, that’s what people were saying. The Blues GM supposedly made it known that every player on the roster was available around November.

Hindsight gives us perspective, but it doesn’t rewrite what people were feeling or saying at the time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Whether is was crap or not, that’s what people were saying. The Blues GM supposedly made it known that every player on the roster was available around November.

Hindsight gives us perspective, but it doesn’t rewrite what people were feeling or saying at the time.
People are saying ridiculous shit all the time, it doesn't justify stupidity

Reactions: Punished ROR

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't really have a lot of love for Blues (or the other 29 teams) but I don't mind a Western team winning the cup again and it's fun to have a team win their first cup after 50 years in the NHL. Props to Binnington, O'Reilly and the others for stepping up when it matters.

Reactions: Spektre and klozge

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
I thought it was cool that not one player for the Blues had lifted the cup prior.

Happy to see a lot of these guys win. Radar, Pietrangelo, J-Bow & Maroon....that was J-Bow 1250-somthing-th game...just awesome!!

Reactions: Grackle Party

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs had a legit chance at winning the cup if they won the game 7 against the Sharks. Watching the finals, both Blues and Bruins looked beatable. I mean all the games in finals were pretty much blow outs, and it came down to who made the most mistakes in the game 7 which was Boston. It's not like they were all close games where both teams were tough to beat, went neck to neck, overtimes and stuff.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Avs had a legit chance at winning the cup if they won the game 7 against the Sharks. Watching the finals, both Blues and Bruins looked beatable. I mean all the games in finals were pretty much blow outs, and it came down to who made the most mistakes in the game 7 which was Boston. It's not like they were all close games where both teams were tough to beat, went neck to neck, overtimes and stuff.
Too bad nothing was done to fix the 2nd line

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Too bad nothing was done to fix the 2nd line
Even with the current roster Avs could beat both Blues and Bruins. The only thing I'd worry about is MacKinnon hurting his shoulder, would be playing less than 100% probably

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was an awful trade, but it’s hard to blame the Sabres for moving him. There were even rumors the Blues were willing to part with him around December-January, to go along with a rumor that they offered Peitrangelo to Toronto for Nylander.

Actually no, it's not hard at all to blame them. Botterill is an incompetent GM and the Sabres are an incompetent franchise from top to bottom. They handed over a future Selke winner and reigning playoff MVP over to another team for a busted prospect, the lowest 1st rounder possible, and two awful players on awful contracts. Just because Armstrong nearly panicked before going on a Stanley Cup run midway through the season doesn't mean the Sabres should be let off the hook for their idiocy.

I have more admiration for Sakic in light of the Duchene situation after seeing what happened in Buffalo with O'Reilly. Sakic held firm past the deadline, through the offseason, through camp, and into the regular season before finally finding the right deal despite screams from fans (including me) and pundits from all over hockey for him to just get a deal done. Buffalo on the other hand rushed O'Reilly out the door and in turn may have gotten the worst possible return. Even Peter Chiarelli would have scoffed at that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Actually no, it's not hard at all to blame them. Botterill is an incompetent GM and the Sabres are an incompetent franchise from top to bottom. They handed over a future Selke winner and reigning playoff MVP over to another team for a busted prospect, the lowest 1st rounder possible, and two awful players on awful contracts. Just because Armstrong nearly panicked before going on a Stanley Cup run midway through the season doesn't mean the Sabres should be let off the hook for their idiocy.

I have more admiration for Sakic in light of the Duchene situation after seeing what happened in Buffalo with O'Reilly. Sakic held firm past the deadline, through the offseason, through camp, and into the regular season before finally finding the right deal despite screams from fans (including me) and pundits from all over hockey for him to just get a deal done. Buffalo on the other hand rushed O'Reilly out the door and in turn may have gotten the worst possible return. Even Peter Chiarelli would have scoffed at that.

Yeah the only thing that can save that trade is getting a star player with the 1st and that’s very unlikely. Over the last 10 years I think only the Erat deal would be considered worse off the top of my head.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The only thing that saves Botterill (a little) IMO is if the Pegulas flat-out ordered him to get a deal done right away. But even then if I'm Botterill I still negotiate something better than THAT. He should have at least demanded one of Armstrong's best prospects (Thomas, Kyrou, etc.) or a top roster player, especially if the Sabres were also eating the Berglund and Sobotka contracts. Even completely mishandling the Evander Kane situation as he did, he got way better value for Kane rental than what he got for a signed O'Reilly, and that's just insane.

I'll say it again, I don't expect Botterill to be the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres beyond this upcoming season. But he's also not the root cause of their problems.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think people would be shocked on how little teams pursued ROR... complete nonsense especially in hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad