GDT: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part 2

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hopefully watching his old club hoist the mug lights a bigger fire than ever under EJ once he resumes summer training.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are you talking about his comments at the end of the season? Because I have no issues with what he said, being honest about the loser mentality in Buffalo isn't something that I'll hold against him, just like when Giguere called us out during the dark years.

No. He doesn't get it both ways. He does not get to do that after lobbying for years to get a huge payday based on his talent, leadership abilities, and character. He sold himself as the kind of guy to lead a team out of the doldrums, but then he turns around in front of the cameras and supposedly gives an "earnest" interview about losing heart. Uh, no dude...you just convinced the team paying you upwards of $8 million per season (almost entirely in bonuses) to do the exact OPPOSITE of quitting. You want to be viewed as a leader? Then lead.

He's supposed to be the guy who helped engineer Buffalo out of the cellar. All he did was engineer his own way outta town. Being honest? Gimme a break. Normally I avoid the whole "intangibles" thing because that conversation gets so tiresome. But when a guy demands to be paid in part because of those qualities then I think I'm allowed to comment on them.

Don't get me wrong...O'Reilly is obviously one of the best two-way players in the league. In fact he may now be the best two-way player in the league period. And I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy. I just think the whole image of him as a rink rat who doesn't have a care in the world outside of winning hockey games and his teammates is more spit and polish than actual reality, and he and his camp have sold that image for years. But hey...it worked out for him in the end, didn't it?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
No. He doesn't get it both ways. He does not get to do that after lobbying for years to get a huge payday based on his talent, leadership abilities, and character. He sold himself as the kind of guy to lead a team out of the doldrums, but then he turns around in front of the cameras and supposedly gives an "earnest" interview about losing heart. Uh, no dude...you just convinced the team paying you upwards of $8 million per season (almost entirely in bonuses) to do the exact OPPOSITE of quitting. You want to be viewed as a leader? Then lead.

He's supposed to be the guy who helped engineer Buffalo out of the cellar. All he did was engineer his own way outta town. Being honest? Gimme a break. Normally I avoid the whole "intangibles" thing because that conversation gets so tiresome. But when a guy demands to be paid in part because of those qualities then I think I'm allowed to comment on them.

Don't get me wrong...O'Reilly is obviously one of the best two-way players in the league. In fact he may now be the best two-way player in the league period. And I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy. I just think the whole image of him as a rink rat who doesn't have a care in the world outside of winning hockey games and his teammates is more spit and polish than actual reality, and he and his camp have sold that image for years. But hey...it worked out for him in the end, didn't it?
Agree to disagree

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm happy for O'Reilly, but I feel like recency bias played a role in his Conn Smythe win. No doubt about it, he was the best St. Louis Blues player in the Finals. But the Conn Smythe isn't the NBA Finals MVP where it's just based on one series. This is an award based on the entire playoffs. I think the voters forgot that O'Reilly simply was not good these playoffs until late.

Personally, I would have given the Conn Smythe to Alex Pietrangelo if we're basing it on an entire playoffs.

Reactions: S E P H

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't get the "he wanted to get paid, so f*** him narrative". You don't want to get paid what you believe you are worth at your job? I know I want to, and his contract is peanuts for what he brings. Maybe next we can trade Ty over 500k and then watch him win it with his new team while we pray Timmins recovers and the magic beans we get for him turn out better than a 3rd liner and a defenseman with 100$ worth of physical tools and .05$ brain.

f***ing hurts watching him lift that Cup with the Blues. He could've done that here, if it wasn't for Lacroix.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
C997162D-24AC-4541-A74A-52F3143B661E.jpeg

The Tim Hortons franchise is absolutely f***ed rn

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
View attachment 236141

The Tim Hortons franchise is absolutely ****ed rn

Oh man that pic. It hurts but I'm sooo f***ing happy for ROR. Dude's a f***ing winner and always has been. It's not his fault he was stuck on some truly awful Avs squads and was looking to be compensated fairly. Dude is worth his weight in gold. I really wish we would have paid ROR and just let Dutchy go sooner but whatever.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I recall saying something like "If the Blues pass us, we aren't winning the cup anyway". That was when they were at the bottom of Central. Their rise just goes to show how much a coach change can do. Maybe next time when Bednar leads us to a many month long worst in the NHL streak, we consider a switch.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I recall saying something like "If the Blues pass us, we aren't winning the cup anyway". That was when they were at the bottom of Central. Their rise just goes to show how much a coach change can do. Maybe next time when Bednar leads us to a many month long worst in the NHL streak, we consider a switch.
Bednar is easily the best HC we had since Q and has exceeded all expectations, he is not going anywhere.

Reactions: 5280 and Zolik37

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Get the **** out of here with that nonsense. I've never been one to parade for Jared Bednar but I can recognize a good coach when I see one, and Jared Bednar is a damn good coach. Is he perfect? No, but no coach is.

This team went through a **** run in the middle of the season because Philipp Grubauer and Semyon Varlamov couldn't stop a ****ing puck if their lives depended on it. The team was still playing the same, effective hockey - the results just weren't there.

The entire team bought in to what Bednar wanted in the playoffs. Teams don't do that for bad coaches.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Bednar is easily the best HC we had since Q and has exceeded all expectations, he is not going anywhere.

You wouldn't be saying that if we missed the playoffs this season and last season. Which was more likely to happen than us making them. We got lucky.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You wouldn't be saying that if we missed the playoffs this season and last season. Which was more likely to happen than us making them. We got lucky.
The results have been really solid for a team that is so young, without a #1D and only has 3 top six forwards.

There is very little to complain about.

Reactions: 5280

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Said it before, I’ll say it again. Pay your star players. If we lose any more core players because we won’t pay him that little extra 500k-1m....

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Coach and Binnington , they were in last place in the whole league at the halfway point until they called up Binnington

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Good for O’Reilly. He’s a hard worker who just gets better and better. I was team Duchene back in the day, but it’s a pretty clear choice on which one was the mistake to trade. Of all the teams to feel sick watching him lift the Cup, it should be Buffalo. What an absolute steal that trade was.

Fun for all those long time Blues fans as well to win a Cup. Happy for Pietrangelo too. Always liked him, and he seems like a great human off the ice. I’m glad he was able to lead a team to a Stanley Cup.

Blues were a neat story line. Dead last in January, to Cup winner. No big deadline deals, just a team coming together with a hot goalie, under a new coach, all at the right time.

I wonder if Brian O’Reilly will write a book on this. Synergy and all.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Crazy to think this team once had Duchene, Stastny and ROR with a rising Mack in development down the middle. Poor depth and questionable management decisions really tanked a promising rebuild v1. I hate to think back what could've been with those guys if we actually surrounded them with the right supporting cast.

But in hindsight both Duchene and ROR lit the spark for our rebuild v2 which looks to be much more promising. We have a lot to look forward to but I can't help feel a little bitter seeing ROR lift the cup.

I bet Roy has a little grin on his face, he loved ROR and he knew he was a winner.

Last edited:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I don't get the "he wanted to get paid, so **** him narrative". You don't want to get paid what you believe you are worth at your job? I know I want to, and his contract is peanuts for what he brings. Maybe next we can trade Ty over 500k and then watch him win it with his new team while we pray Timmins recovers and the magic beans we get for him turn out better than a 3rd liner and a defenseman with 100$ worth of physical tools and .05$ brain.

****ing hurts watching him lift that Cup with the Blues. He could've done that here, if it wasn't for Lacroix.
You keep forgetting all the reasons we are trading Ty .

When we finally trade Ty and win the Stanley Cup next year while the Blues miss the playoffs it will be bittersweet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad