2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
it's not that tampa is losing, it's that they are getting utterly dominated in every facet of the game right now

as for the penguins, we are seeing them finally aging themselves out of contention

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
This is going to be a legacy-defining loss for a lot of Tampa's players--at least until they win the Cup. People will draw analogies to some of our ignominious defeats as President's Trophy Winners, but getting swept in round 1 is far worse than either '96 or '06.

'96 felt awful at the time, but history tells us that the Avalanche were a worthy opponent (indeed the only one the Wings faced with comparable talent). Regardless of what happens this year, the CBJ will not be viewed that way.

Everything about the '06 season was weird. In retrospect that team had a lot of very questionable players playing prominent roles (Legace in net, Lilja on the top pair, Jason Williams being relied upon to score etc) and aging vets to go along with Z and D and Lidstrom. Edmonton was way better than their record because of shaky goaltending, which was shored up with Roloson.

Tampa has great players in their primes across the lineup. It's just baffling. To me it feels a lot like the 2003 sweep. We hadn't won the President's Trophy (we finished three points out), but we were the defending champs who added Zetterberg. I remember the disbelief I felt after Game 3. I'm sure Tampa feels the same way now. It's not a perfect analogy, as Bob isn't stealing this series the way Giguere did in 2003, but to me it comes the closest to capturing the utter shock we all unfortunately felt that year.

In retrospect, I'd love to see an advanced stats breakdown of that series. The heat map would surely make me cry.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Agreed.

The Wings getting swept by the Ducks in 2003 is still a bigger collapse than Tampa getting swept by Columbus.
nah. we were witnessing probably the greatest goaltending run in playoff history in giguere that year. Tampa is getting dominated in every area of the game right now after steam rolling the entire league all year

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
nah. we were witnessing probably the greatest goaltending run in playoff history in giguere that year. Tampa is getting dominated in every area of the game right now after steam rolling the entire league all year
Yeah but everyone knows the regular season means nothing in the NHL. Hot Giggy or not, the Wings should have won that series. Too many perimeter shots, not enough crashing the crease.

2010 Capitals got bounced in the first round by Montreal, they weren't built for the playoffs. Tampa doesn't have what it takes, even if they manage to win this series (which would take a miracle), they still have to go through Boston and Caps/Islanders. That's just not going to happen, they simply aren't physical enough. Last year's series against the Caps should have convinced them to make some roster adjustments.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly am very surprised by the Lightning, and definitely didn't see them dropping 3 straight and in fear of being swept. I will say, there are a number of way WAY too cocky Lightning fans on this forum that have started to get me to taking a liking when they lose. Don't really hate the team, but some of their fans are downright obnoxious.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
"Not built for the playoffs"

It has become a cliche over the years, but it is so true. The NHL regular season has shifted more to the young, fast, and skilled, but it still doesn't translate consistently into the playoffs. Some of it is the shift in officiating standards. Some of it is coaching styles. And, some players are able to elevate their game more than others. Bertuzzi comes to mind.

The league seems to like it because they call it parity. But, I am not sure it is great for the fan base. I have some sympathy for the Tampa fans because it is reminiscent of some great teams we had in the 90's that got bounced early.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lightning did not face any adversity so the first one comes at the worst time. Yzerman should have known this better than anyone.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Rooting interests aside, the league has long been hurting itself by swallowing the whistle in the playoffs. You don't use 3-on-3 in OT and shootouts to help showcase skill all season, then negate it as soon as the games start to matter.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
"Not built for the playoffs"

It has become a cliche over the years, but it is so true. The NHL regular season has shifted more to the young, fast, and skilled, but it still doesn't translate consistently into the playoffs. Some of it is the shift in officiating standards. Some of it is coaching styles. And, some players are able to elevate their game more than others. Bertuzzi comes to mind.

The league seems to like it because they call it parity. But, I am not sure it is great for the fan base. I have some sympathy for the Tampa fans because it is reminiscent of some great teams we had in the 90's that got bounced early.
And who is Capitan of that 90s team, is it the same one who leads Tampa now. Anyway been great all year long doesn't brings you cup. You need to get Red hot right before playoffs

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It isn't that they're not built for the playoffs. Vasilevsky turned in a dud at the worst time in game 1.

And then off the high of the comeback in game 1, CBJ dominated game 2.

Game 3 was just a straight up buttkicking though.

Also, Kucherov, Point, and Stamkos have all gone quiet at the same time.

As a for instance, what made the Red Wings in 2001-02 "made for the playoffs" and then not made for the playoffs the next year?

Momentum in a game is a bitch if you're the favorite.

Bob had his dud in period one and then pulled out of the tailspin to be a Vezina level goalie. Vasi did not. That's about as simple as it is. Bob doesn't play exceptionally well early in game 2, it's a different story.

Reactions: plymouthmi

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It isn't that they're not built for the playoffs. Vasilevsky turned in a dud at the worst time in game 1.

As a for instance, what made the Red Wings in 2001-02 "made for the playoffs" and then not made for the playoffs the next year?

Momentum in a game is a ***** if you're the favorite.

Bob had his dud in period one and then pulled out of the tailspin to be a Vezina level goalie. Vasi did not. That's about as simple as it is. Bob doesn't play exceptionally well early in game 2, it's a different story.

Bobrovsky was shaky in first period game one. But the coach knew you do not win a game or a series in one period.

We were in exactly the same spot in 2002. Down 2-0 going to Vancouver. We turned it around cause we had experienced players.
Lidstroms goal was perfectly timed as a veteran player he knew he could get cloutier off guard as the period was about to end.

Why the wings lost next year?
A long playoff run means a lot of injuries and all teams are ready for the champ every ga e and the motivation is not the same.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Momentum in a game is a ***** if you're the favorite.

I agree.

"Made for playoffs" is hockey-speak for "we don't know why this better team is losing but we need to make something up to fill airtime."

You cannot kick butt as much as Tampa did during the regular season and not be "built for playoffs." Tampa ran roughshod over physical teams, fast teams, skilled teams, good teams, great teams, bad teams all season long. Playoff games are tougher but it's not anything you haven't faced before in the regular season. Plenty of super tough teams played in 82 games.

This is bad luck + injuries to their 1D d-man + their goalie going cold and CBJ's goalie going hot.

Bobrovsky has won Vezinas. His rep as a playoff choker was undeserved. Eventually he was going to show his regular season form in the playoffs. Goalies go hot and cold all the time. This is just the perfect storm of bad luck for Tampa.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Even when all those great RW teams were losing they were still dominating play overall. It was never "that" embarrassing to watch. This Tampa team has no holes, except for the one where their heart should be. Still, it's not over yet. I'll save my gloating for when it is.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Nah. That's ignoring a lot of Hasek's playoff performances in Buffalo, ones by Roy, Dryden, Quick, Thomas, and Sawchuk, plus the existence of the salary cap (and resulting parity).

In a pre-cap era the 2003 Wings had Fedorov, Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larionov, Robitaille, along with secondary players like Holmstrom, Maltby, Draper, and Schneider with Cujo in net and were the defending Cup champions. Think about that for a second. The Ducks had Kariya, Giguere, and some spare parts.

With that lineup the Wings managed 6 goals in 4 games.

Tampa is collapsing for sure. But the Ducks sweeping that Wings team was more of an epic choke.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Nah. That's ignoring a lot of Hasek's playoff performances in Buffalo, ones by Roy, Dryden, Quick, Thomas, and Sawchuk, plus the existence of the salary cap (and resulting parity).

In a pre-cap era the 2003 Wings had Fedorov, Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larionov, Robitaille, along with secondary players like Holmstrom, Maltby, Draper, and Schneider with Cujo in net. Think about that for a second. The Ducks had Kariya, Giguere, and some spare parts.

Tampa is collapsing for sure. But the Ducks sweeping that Wings team was more of an epic choke.
Hasek was not in net

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I honestly am very surprised by the Lightning, and definitely didn't see them dropping 3 straight and in fear of being swept. I will say, there are a number of way WAY too cocky Lightning fans on this forum that have started to get me to taking a liking when they lose. Don't really hate the team, but some of their fans are downright obnoxious.
Agreed. One of the downsides of this forum is how it can color players or teams for me based on the ridiculous things fans post.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Hasek was not net
For the Wings? I know that.

That's why I referred to his playoff performances in Buffalo when talking about great all time performances by goalies. And I also listed Cujo as one of the Wings players on the 2003 team.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Man, I feel for Tampa fans. Those early exits are crushing when you have high expectations for your team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

In a pre-cap era the 2003 Wings had Fedorov, Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larionov, Robitaille, along with secondary players like Holmstrom, Maltby, Draper, and Schneider with Cujo in net and were the defending Cup champions. Think about that for a second. The Ducks had Kariya, Giguere, and some spare parts.

Giguere literally had one of the best playoff runs ever for a goalie in 2003. If they win the cup it might be considered the best, hell it might actually be the best even though they lost. A .945 save percentage and a 1.62 GAA with 5 shutouts is absurd. Some of those guys might have better runs but not all of them and youre really splitting hairs if youre going to start really trying to put some above the other. At worst in 03, the wings got knocked by a top 5 goaltending performance all time.

The 03 team losing was definitely not worse than if Tampa gets swept by Columbus

Reactions: 14ari13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad