2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So I was kind of hopeful the Wings could sneak Lehner away this off-season, but it's hard to imagine the Islanders letting him walk after he reestablished himself so damn well. Good for him, though.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
that's my understanding as well. But still, when you bring the team their first Cup in franchise history, you'd think maybe they'd open their wallet instead of saying "nah, we've got guys here that can do it without your help."

He's done an amazing job with the Islanders. They're obviously defensive minded but it's not like it's old school NJ trap trap trap hockey.

Fair enough.

And yeah, Trotz has done an incredible job. Islanders went from last in goals against to first in goals against over the course of one season. Part of that is Lehner playing out of his mind, but still a crazy stat.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
So I was kind of hopeful the Wings could sneak Lehner away this off-season, but it's hard to imagine the Islanders letting him walk after he reestablished himself so damn well. Good for him, though.

Is there any chance we're not just going to re-sign Jimmy though?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Assuming the implosion continues for Tampa, what are the odds that they would grant Yzerman an early release from his contract? All that would be left would be maybe contract negotiations with RFAs and the draft, including scouting.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Seth Jones looks to have taken his game to the next level.

Looks so dominate out there. Similar to how Karlsson played two years ago in the Sens run to the conference finals..

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Assuming the implosion continues for Tampa, what are the odds that they would grant Yzerman an early release from his contract? All that would be left would be maybe contract negotiations with RFAs and the draft, including scouting.
Yzerman still negotiations contracts for TB? I thought he was just a consultant at this point?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yzerman still negotiations contracts for TB? I thought he was just a consultant at this point?

He serves as a sounding board, but it’s not like he’s an external consultant to BriseBois, he still has a ton of relationships with the players he drafted and acquired and has worked with closely to get them to this point.

He might not be the main person in charge, but I’m sure he has a role as long as he’s still employed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Who else is loving the blue jackets giving TB all they can handle? #FreeYzerman
It's been disgusting. Tampa's defense in particular has shown no urgency or anticipation. Kudos to Columbus for ratcheting up the intensity several notches, but I'm never going to enjoy watching a talented team suddenly forget how to play hockey.

Reactions: Electric Eric

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Stamkos might be the worst playoff performer of his generation. No wonder the Lightning haven't won anything despite being stacked year after year. The only reason they made the finals in 15 was because of Palat-Johnson-Kucherov.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's been disgusting. Tampa's defense in particular has shown no urgency or anticipation. Kudos to Columbus for ratcheting up the intensity several notches, but I'm never going to enjoy watching a talented team suddenly forget how to play hockey.
We've seen this time and again where the President's Trophy winner takes an early exit because the team is built for the regular season instead of the playoffs.
Lightning clinch Presidents' Trophy – but history tells us playoff success is no guarantee - TheHockeyNews

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Stamkos might be the worst playoff performer of his generation. No wonder the Lightning haven't won anything despite being stacked year after year. The only reason they made the finals in 15 was because of Palat-Johnson-Kucherov.

Yeah, Stamkos is the last type of #1 center i'd want for my team honestly.

All offense, kind of soft, etc.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Yeah, Stamkos is the last type of #1 center i'd want for my team honestly.

All offense, kind of soft, etc.

Well good thing we didn't sign him. Same goes for Parise and Suter.

Of course that didn't stop us from blowing money elsewhere. But you get the drift.

Also, for those of you who hold that 95-96 season in high regard, you can take solace in knowing you went farther than Tampa Bay.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
During the end of season interviews, blash was asked who his coach of the year vote goes to. He said Jon Cooper lololol

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not going all the way would be one thing

Getting swept in the first round would just be a collapse of epic proportions though.

I, for one, would be delighted if that were to happen
Looks at the list, they wouldn't be the first team to win the Prez Trophy and lose in the first round The WIngs and Caps have done it...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I just don't want Steve Yzerman's name on the Stanley Cup under the Tampa Bay Lightning. That's all I care about.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Looks at the list, they wouldn't be the first team to win the Prez Trophy and lose in the first round The WIngs and Caps have done it...

They tied the record for regular season wins. The level of collapse that we're talking about here would be far more significant (especially if they're swept).

I agree with your overall sentiment though -- winning the president's trophy doesn't seem to count for much.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed.

The Wings getting swept by the Ducks in 2003 is still a bigger collapse than Tampa getting swept by Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad