Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Redsox play four games vs Philadelphia this yearand Blue Jays get the braves in the yearly interlegaue rivalry game mlb does. The sox and jays have alternated with the phils and braves since the expos left

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
He signed with Toronto for one simple reason - the PED's he was alleged to be using WERE LEGAL IN CANADA.

MLB didn't have a drug policy in place for much of his career and he never failed a test. He risked jail by fighting the charge of lying to Congress.

Will McDonough figured him out before anyone else did.

You still need the talent. For every Roger Clemens, there are millions of players in the minors who couldn't hack it in the majors and that's even with all the PEDs they pumped into their bodies. Also, most players used PED for recovery from injury which I can sort of forgive, considering the grueling 162 game grind baseball players go through. Clemens cheated, and it's a shame that he did. It also doesn't help that he was so abrasive with the media when he got found out. All of that said, it's a crying shame that an above average pitcher in Mike Mussina can get in the Hall of Fame over him. And I say that as a person that's not all that big on Clemens.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You still need the talent. For every Roger Clemens, there are millions of players in the minors who couldn't hack it in the majors and that's even with all the PEDs they pumped into their bodies. Also, most players used PED for recovery from injury which I can sort of forgive, considering the grueling 162 game grind baseball players go through. Clemens cheated, and it's a shame that he did. It also doesn't help that he was so abrasive with the media when he got found out. All of that said, it's a crying shame that an above average pitcher in Mike Mussina can get in the Hall of Fame over him. And I say that as a person that's not all that big on Clemens.

Of course, Roger had the talent

The only thing I am certain off is after the 1996 All Star Break - Roger was hitting the radar like it was 1986 again.

You can't accuse him of cheating if MLB has no rules in place in those years. When MLB finally got around to testing in 2003 he was never flagged.

Joe Jackson was banned from baseball for trying to throw the 1919 World Series. During the 1919 Series, Jackson made no errors and racked up 12 hits, a World Series record that stood until 1964. His batting average for the series (.375) was the highest on either team.

Pete Rose - For all his warts NEVER has he been accused of betting against his own team.

Reactions: SPV

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is my number one reason for waking up every day. I want to live to see all the Bobby Bonilla Days.
Bobby Bonilla Day is July 1 and runs to 2035

Bonilla was owed $5.9 M and was released so he didn’t even play that year but because of Wilpon issues I believe dealing with the Bernie Madoff scandal the Mets owner agreed to pay Bonilla 25 payments of $1.19 every July 1 thru 2035 totaling $29.8 M for a year he didn’t even play

And MLB players now have a right to be upset analytics and conmon sense is eliminating this from the game. Fear not players the Red Sox are still writing checks to Pablo Sandoval and incredibly Rusney Castillo

Between the insane decisions to entrust Bernie Madoff as the Mets owners financial guru and restructuring Bobby Bonilla contract it’s made the Mets a small to middle market team and kept @LouJersey up at night

While baseball fans laugh at the Bonilla payout every July 1, poor Lou puts on his Matt Harvey 50% off from Modell’s jerswy and weeps in a rocking chair out on the porch

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bobby Bonilla Day is July 1 and runs to 2035

Bonilla was owed $5.9 M and was released so he didn’t even play that year but because of Wilpon issues I believe dealing with the Bernie Madoff scandal the Mets owner agreed to pay Bonilla 25 payments of $1.19 every July 1 thru 2035 totaling $29.8 M for a year he didn’t even play

And MLB players now have a right to be upset analytics and conmon sense is eliminating this from the game. Fear not players the Red Sox are still writing checks to Pablo Sandoval and incredibly Rusney Castillo

Between the insane decisions to entrust Bernie Madoff as the Mets owners financial guru and restructuring Bobby Bonilla contract it’s made the Mets a small to middle market team and kept @LouJersey up at night

While baseball fans laugh at the Bonilla payout every July 1, poor Lou puts on his Matt Harvey 50% off from Modell’s jerswy and weeps in a rocking chair out on the porch

Ahahahah omg this May be the best post ever. You aren’t too far from the truth on me and my Matt Harvey Shirsey.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

The only thing I am certain off is after the 1996 All Star Break - Roger was hitting the radar like it was 1986 again.

You can't accuse him of cheating if MLB has no rules in place in those years. When MLB finally got around to testing in 2003 he was never flagged.

Joe Jackson was banned from baseball for trying to throw the 1919 World Series. During the 1919 Series, Jackson made no errors and racked up 12 hits, a World Series record that stood until 1964. His batting average for the series (.375) was the highest on either team.

Pete Rose - For all his warts NEVER has he been accused of betting against his own team.

Each of those guys should be in the Hall, IMO.

I'm sure nearly every great player from nearly every era would have used any advantage they could find to improve their game.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Keep in mind, I am basing it on the Mitchell Report and the words of Brian McNamee so...take that for what it's worth. I will also say that the ex post facto application of these rules to Clemens is unfair.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Steroids were illegal in baseball before testing.

Joe Jackson was horrendous in every game the White Sox were trying to lose. His homerun came late in the last game, a blowout.

Pete Rose betting on his team, which he definitely did, is easily enough to keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: TrashPanda

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Steroids were illegal in baseball before testing.

Joe Jackson was horrendous in every game the White Sox were trying to lose. His homerun came late in the last game, a blowout.

Pete Rose betting on his team, which he definitely did, is easily enough to keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

But MLB had no punishment before testing.

A few years ago I went to the Joe Jackson museum in Greenville, SC that is next to the park where the Red Sox A team plays. Granted they try to show Jackson in a favorable light but still, the stats speak for themselves.

No 'Solid Front of Silence': The Forgotten Black Sox Scandal Interviews | Society for American Baseball Research

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
But MLB had no punishment before testing.

A few years ago I went to the Joe Jackson museum in Greenville, SC that is next to the park where the Red Sox A team plays. Granted they try to show Jackson in a favorable light but still, the stats speak for themselves.

No 'Solid Front of Silence': The Forgotten Black Sox Scandal Interviews | Society for American Baseball Research

I once wrote a paper looking at every single at bat he had in the World Series, so I know them. He took money and then sucked in the games they were trying to lose.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I wonder if I'll be alive to see baseball's first 1 billion dollar contract to a player.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Clay Bucholtz back with Toronto

100% forgot about Buchholz. Talk about a guy that never lived up to the hype. I remember Buchholz and Hughes (Yankees) coming up through their respective systems at the same time. It seemed like they would be the "aces" continuing the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry....neither guy panned out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad