2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Sutter should be traded by the deadline, Gaudette is progressing in the NHL and Beagle is there to insulate him. Sutter seems like a redundant asset at this point.

Reactions: travis scott

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Bouwmeester for Pouliot. A dump LD for a dump LD, both of whom are being overplayed on their teams relative to their skill. Bouwmeester is a little bit less of a liability in our end, and frankly that's all I want out of a bottom pairing D.

Burakovsky for Schaller (@50% retained), Gaunce and a third. We're linked in rumours to him, and Washington apparently want to improve their PK. Schaller and Gaunce will do that, we take on a tiny bit of cap for skill and speed, neither side takes a big hit in terms of their rosters.

Gagner for Anisimov. When this was offered, the idea for Chicago was to lose a year of Anisimov's contract, as well as the associated cap hit for this year and next. I'm not against it, even with an add on when this Blackhawks fans' confederates sniff him out and demand more meat. I would even be willing to supply some small additions if it secured the trade, but would fight to avoid this if possible.

We're well under the cap this year, and have Bouwmeester, Del Zotto, Nilsson and Granlund coming off the books to cover raises for Boeser, and marginal raises for Hutton, Burakovsky, Goldobin, Edler, Motte and Leivo with 6.875 ish left over, and can start rotating ELCs into other spots, like Hughes, Juolevi, Dahlen, Woo, etc.

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Goldobin-Anisimov-Burakovsky
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter
Motte, Eriksson
Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Bouwmeester-Gudbranson
Biega
Waive or trade Granlund and Del Zotto, as injuries and recoveries allow.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Edler should be dealt as he is on an expiring. Can re-sign in the offseason as need be but trading him for a 2019 1st+ adds more picks going forward.

Sutter should be dealt if the Nucks can acquire picks/prospects for him. I know Gaudette is young but he's shown enough to continue having him play 3/4 line minutes. Beagle can flip-flop with him when necessary.

I'd look to move Gudbranson if we received something half decent. Keeping Tanev and having Stecher basically solidifies your Top 2 on the right side. Biega is more than capable of being the RHD on the 3rd pairing.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Bouwmeester for Pouliot. A dump LD for a dump LD, both of whom are being overplayed on their teams relative to their skill. Bouwmeester is a little bit less of a liability in our end, and frankly that's all I want out of a bottom pairing D.

Burakovsky for Schaller (@50% retained), Gaunce and a third. We're linked in rumours to him, and Washington apparently want to improve their PK. Schaller and Gaunce will do that, we take on a tiny bit of cap for skill and speed, neither side takes a big hit in terms of their rosters.

Gagner for Anisimov. When this was offered, the idea for Chicago was to lose a year of Anisimov's contract, as well as the associated cap hit for this year and next. I'm not against it, even with an add on when this Blackhawks fans' confederates sniff him out and demand more meat. I would even be willing to supply some small additions if it secured the trade, but would fight to avoid this if possible.

We're well under the cap this year, and have Bouwmeester, Del Zotto, Nilsson and Granlund coming off the books to cover raises for Boeser, and marginal raises for Hutton, Burakovsky, Goldobin, Edler, Motte and Leivo with 6.875 ish left over, and can start rotating ELCs into other spots, like Hughes, Juolevi, Dahlen, Woo, etc.

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Goldobin-Anisimov-Burakovsky
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter
Motte, Eriksson
Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Bouwmeester-Gudbranson
Biega
Waive or trade Granlund and Del Zotto, as injuries and recoveries allow.
Bouwmeester is useless and neither of the other trades are remotely plausible.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
So essentially Edler for Miller? Its not horrible, and Miller isn't "old", but I rather keep the pick. Thats just personal opinion but I feel Miller is more of a middle 6 winger, not that much better than than what we have. The 1st is a lotto ticket that maybe turn into another Boeser, or a nothing, or something in between. I rather take the gamble.

Miller is a 55 point per season LW with speed and puck retrieval abilities. He'd be a great complementary piece for Pettersson and Boeser.

Reactions: geebaan

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Slightly outside the box idea:

Edler to Tampa at the deadline for their 1st, but with a handshake agreement that we trade the 1st back at the draft for JT Miller when they have to clear cap space.

Love the idea of adding Miller.

Tampa Bay has Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev down the left side and probably don't need Edler. Their right side is thinner, with only Cernak under contract for next season on the right side, and assuming a ~$6M raise to Point and qualified RFAs , less than $1M in cap space.

I'd think about a trade like this over the summer:
To TB: Tanev (50% retained)
To VAN: Miller, Callahan

Tampa gets a top pairing defenseman, and clears about $9M in cap space to find another defensemen + add forward depth, or whatever.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Tampa Bay has Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev down the left side and probably don't need Edler. Their right side is thinner, with only Cernak under contract for next season on the right side, and assuming a ~$6M raise to Point and qualified RFAs , less than $1M in cap space.

Tampa gets a top pairing defenseman, and clears about $9M in cap space to find another defensemen + add forward depth, or whatever.

Sorry, but that's an awful trade proposal. We're getting worse AND add around 8 million to our cap. To add to that, RHD is arguably the greatest position of need for next season.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
We're going to get worse when Tanev leaves anyways. May as well get an asset for it.

What else would you add with the boatload of cap space the Canucks have next season? More Jay Beagles? The Canucks need to get creative and use that cap space without committing to long-term outlays.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
We're going to get worse when Tanev leaves anyways. May as well get an asset for it.

What else would you add with the boatload of cap space the Canucks have next season? More Jay Beagles? The Canucks need to get creative and use that cap space without committing to long-term outlays.

I wouldn't even take Miller for free if it meant having to take on Callahan's contract, much less also giving up something of value.

Mind as well just go target Stone or Panarin in FA with the money we'd be adding in this trade. It would cost less than the salary obligations for this proposal. Between 50% of Tanev, Miller and Callahan, that's almost 14 million with only Miller to show for it

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I wouldn't even take Miller for free if it meant having to take on Callahan's contract, much less also giving up something of value.

Mind as well just go target Stone or Panarin in FA with the money we'd be adding in this trade. It would cost less than the salary obligations for this proposal. Between 50% of Tanev, Miller and Callahan, that's almost 14 million with only Miller to show for it

LMAO, you'd rather give $9M with an NMC for 7 years to a 27 year old rather than have a 25 year old signed for 4 seasons at $5.25M and *one* year of Callahan earning $5.8M on the roster? In a year where the Canucks have more than $30M in cap space but aren't in a position to take on a lot of onerous long term deals? Okay man.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Granlund is still a downgrade for them, even if it means having to not deal with arbitration for Burakovsky because no way they offer UFA Granlund a contract.

Granlund is an RFA, so there would be cap savings there.

Yeah, I like the idea of taking a flyer on Burakovsky, but not at the cost of Virtanen, Hutton, Goldobin or Roussel. Granlund or Leivo? Sure. I could even be convinced to flip Baertschi for him.

Last edited:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Granlund is an RFA, so there would be cap savings there.

Yeah, I like the idea of taking a flyer on Burakovsky, but not at the cost of Virtanen, Hutton, Goldobin or Roussel. Granlund or Leivo? Sure. I could even be convinced to flip Baertschi for him.
Nope. Wouldn’t move either Bae or Leivo for him. Baertschi has such good chemistry with Bo and is one of the few wingers that doesn’t get anchored to the bottom of the pacific when on Sutter’s wing. Leivo has fit in well so far, would like to see a bit more of it before I make any decisions to move him back out.

Burakovsky and his 8 points playing with Backstrom and Oshie is not a good pick up for anything really. Less reclamation projects!

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
LMAO, you'd rather give $9M with an NMC for 7 years to a 27 year old rather than have a 25 year old signed for 4 seasons at $5.25M and *one* year of Callahan earning $5.8M on the roster? In a year where the Canucks have more than $30M in cap space but aren't in a position to take on a lot of onerous long term deals? Okay man.

Tanev (no retention) straight up for Miller is a more fair trade for both sides. Miller is a 2nd line player who's being paid at or slightly below market value. There's really no reason to give up a significant asset for him when we can go into free agency and get a similar player at a similar price.

Is there much of a difference between Miller @ 5.25 and just giving Silfverberg that same amount in free agency? We would get to keep Tanev as well.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

Sergachev plays the right.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
2019 has Karlsson and Myers as UFA Dmen but i think 2020 is when were going to go after a Dman agressively. It fits with our timeline.

2020 UFA Dmem

Pietrangelo
Josi
Muzzin
Krug
Barrie
Spurgeon
Faulk
Brodie
Tanev
Vatanen

Q Hughes - Pietrangelo pairing **drooool**

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Bouwmeester is useless and neither of the other trades are remotely plausible.

Bouwmeester is deadweight as far as future development, but he'd at least cut down the horrid give aways from Pouliot every other shift.

Both others were actually proposed from the other side's fans. Not plausible in the real world perhaps, but worse trade proposals have come to pass.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
2019 has Karlsson and Myers as UFA Dmen but i think 2020 is when were going to go after a Dman agressively. It fits with our timeline.

2020 UFA Dmem

Pietrangelo
Josi
Muzzin
Krug
Barrie
Spurgeon
Faulk
Brodie
Tanev
Vatanen

Q Hughes - Pietrangelo pairing **drooool**

Most of those guys will get re-signed. Two years out from 2019 it also looked like Drew Doughty, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and Ryan McDonagh were all going to be unrestricted too.

Don't make plans based on UFA lists years out.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Man, everyone loves Sutter now? That’s quite the change from years past.

The opinions here on Sutter, among non-Benningbros anyway, was that Bonino is slightly better or they are comparable players.

What we hated was:
  1. We traded an equal or slightly better player on an excellent contract for a pending UFA that Pittsburgh literally needed to get rid of. We could have got a package for Bonino from a team looking to get a quality 2/3C on an excellent cheap contract to actually rebuild rather than trying to compete only to finish bottom 5.
  2. We added a pick to sweeten the pot in a trade we were already getting fleeced in
  3. We then signed him to a contract where we overpaid him.
  4. We gave him the first ever retroactive NTC despite constantly hearing about how Gillis gave out too many NTCs
  5. Given that we overpaid him we probably could have just signed him at UFA.
  6. Even if we couldn't sign him as a UFA for what we paid him, a little bit of extra money in exchange for the assets we would have acquired by trading Bonino for picks/prospects would have been worth it given how our team was clearly not even close to competing.
  7. Was then given time with the Sedins

Sutter is a fine 3C. His contract when it was inked sucked but the cap has gone up considerably so it's fine. If I sell a $10,000 car for $5,000 it doesn't mean $5,000 isn't a lot of money, it means that I missed out on $5,000 of value. Jim "Pennies on the dollar?! I don't have 100 pennies..." Benning missed out on a 1st+prospect with Bonino to give Pittsburgh a sweetheart deal for a player we very likely could have acquired in free agency

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Miller is a 55 point per season LW with speed and puck retrieval abilities. He'd be a great complementary piece for Pettersson and Boeser.
Is Miller a 55 point player on his own, or he is that player when he is carried by Stamkos/Kucherov/Point? I mean if you intention is to glue him to Petterson no matter what, then I guess it works. But if you move him down the line, he is probably not going to be the 55 points player you envision.
I don't mind him as the piece coming back for Edler's rental, just prefer a 1st myself.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Assuming Karlsson makes it to UFA the Canucks must make a strong push to get him. Players like him (franchise level, at a decent age, with several good years left) are never available. He and Hughes would change the dynamic of this team drastically. The least they should do is push the price for him higher if he doesn't want to play here (if he ends up in Vegas for example).

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Is Miller a 55 point player on his own, or he is that player when he is carried by Stamkos/Kucherov/Point? I mean if you intention is to glue him to Petterson no matter what, then I guess it works. But if you move him down the line, he is probably not going to be the 55 points player you envision.
I don't mind him as the piece coming back for Edler's rental, just prefer a 1st myself.

He scored 55 points the year before he was traded to Tampa and was on pace for 52 at the time of the trade last year. Since he's been with Tampa he's been on pace for 65.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Assuming Karlsson makes it to UFA the Canucks must make a strong push to get him. Players like him (franchise level, at a decent age, with several good years left) are never available. He and Hughes would change the dynamic of this team drastically. The least they should do is push the price for him higher if he doesn't want to play here (if he ends up in Vegas for example).

Not a good idea unless we can replace several other players on our team. Without a good player in MDZ's spot, a replacement for Gudbranson, Baertschi (if he's done), and Leivo (if he doesn't crack it as a top-6 player) we will not be in a position to win anything until Karlsson is already declining. This doesn't include getting guys like Gaunce in the lineup over trash like Granlund and Schaller as well. Hughes could be that guy on the left side but lets not count our chickens before they hatch. This all has to be done with inflated contracts like Eriksson and Beagle eating up cap space.

If we sign a guy like Karlsson and then fail to bring in any supporting pieces we could be screwed for a long time.

Reactions: tyhee

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I understand Karlsson hasn't produced in San Jose but he has some of the best underlying numbers in the league and is getting accustomed to a compeltely new team, new city and new system. By the time the playoffs role around he's going to be back to being the best defender in hockey.

If you have the opportunity to add this type of player to your team without giving up a single asset you take it and run away laughing.

Reactions: cookiefest

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I understand Karlsson hasn't produced in San Jose but he has some of the best underlying numbers in the league and is getting accustomed to a compeltely new team, new city and new system. By the time the playoffs role around he's going to be back to being the best defender in hockey.

If you have the opportunity to add this type of player to your team without giving up a single asset you take it and run away laughing.

His injuries kinda scare me.... how long can he keep playing with one and a half ankle??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad