2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
No interest in Burakovsky. Strikes me as yet another failed project that Benning and Co. loves to try and revive.
Kinda agree with you.There is a reason for being healthy scratched.But maybe Jay Beagle will light a fire under him if the rumors are true.i honestly think the Benning is delusional about his defence.It needs to be fixed before adding another forward,,but whatever.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Burakovski to be acquired by the Canucks rumours starting to heat up! He was a beast in the playoffs and scored some huge goals, but is currently being healthy scratched by the new coach. Players rumoured that might be in play are Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund. IMO Burakovski would be a solid addition to the Canucks. Thoughts?
Where are these rumors comming from?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Slightly outside the box idea:

Edler to Tampa at the deadline for their 1st, but with a handshake agreement that we trade the 1st back at the draft for JT Miller when they have to clear cap space.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Slightly outside the box idea:

Edler to Tampa at the deadline for their 1st, but with a handshake agreement that we trade the 1st back at the draft for JT Miller when they have to clear cap space.
So essentially Edler for Miller? Its not horrible, and Miller isn't "old", but I rather keep the pick. Thats just personal opinion but I feel Miller is more of a middle 6 winger, not that much better than than what we have. The 1st is a lotto ticket that maybe turn into another Boeser, or a nothing, or something in between. I rather take the gamble.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
This has probably been brought up before and I'm really getting ahead of myself with these comparisons, but I truly believe we're building a young core that has a lot of parallels with the post lockout Red Wings.

Pettersson is our Datysuk, Horvat is our Zetterberg, Hughes can hopefully be our Rafalski, Boeser is our Hossa.

The big, massive, enormous thing we're missing is anyone even 1/10th as valuable as Lidstrom.

The only short-term chance we have of solidifying our D is going hard after Karlsson in free agency. Open up the coffers and go all out for him - I'd do 13M x 7 years without blinking. The only thing we can really hope for is that he would even consider Vancouver.

It's going to be an absolute travesty if we waste the entirety of Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson's primes by icing a trash defensive core.
Would be awesome to have Karlsson on the team, but $13m per is alot of money. When Boeser and Petterson needs to be extended, I'm guessing it will be around $7m per and $10m per. We still have Eriksson/Gudbranson/Beagle/Roussel on the book, Hutton needs to be re-up, Edler/Tanev/Sutter all will need new contract or replaced with similarly priced players. Haven't worked out the math but it is going to be tight. If only we have a capologist that is good at numbers...

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Would be awesome to have Karlsson on the team, but $13m per is alot of money. When Boeser and Petterson needs to be extended, I'm guessing it will be around $7m per and $10m per. We still have Eriksson/Gudbranson/Beagle/Roussel on the book, Hutton needs to be re-up, Edler/Tanev/Sutter all will need new contract or replaced with similarly priced players. Haven't worked out the math but it is going to be tight. If only we have a capologist that is good at numbers...

It's going to be tight for sure, but I think Pettersson's emergence has forced us into a situation where we have tremendous pressure to become immediately competitive. I don't see any magical way to fix our D in the short term aside from going all in on Karlsson and even that is a huge longshot.

We HAVE to make a serious attempt to win in the next 2 years. We've currently got a 10M #1 center signed for 925k. That is an unbelievably rare blessing that you can't afford to let it go to waste.

Edmonton's biggest f*** up is they wasted almost all of McDavid's ELC. I don't want to see Vancouver make the same mistake.

Look at Pittsburgh. They made the cup finals in back to back years with Crosby / Malkin on ELCs and then it took them 6 years before they got back there despite having 2 of the 3 best players in the world.

Chicago won all their cups with Toews/Kane on ELCs or sweetheart 6M contracts.

Look at the leafs. If they don't win this year they're going to be kicking themselves for the next decade for wasting the last year where they had both Matthew's and Marner signed for peanuts.

Luckily by the time Petey needs a new contract we have Sutter, Baertschi and Gudbranson coming off the books which gives us ~12M of flexibility. Obviously we need to find replacements for those players, but we should be able to fill their spots for a fraction of the cost.

Go all-in. Everything aside from the 2019 1st round pick should be made available in the search for help.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It's going to be tight for sure, but I think Pettersson's emergence has forced us into a situation where we have tremendous pressure to become immediately competitive. I don't see any magical way to fix our D in the short term aside from going all in on Karlsson and even that is a huge longshot.

We HAVE to make a serious attempt to win in the next 2 years. We've currently got a 10M #1 center signed for 925k. That is an unbelievably rare blessing that you can't afford to let it go to waste.

Edmonton's biggest **** up is they wasted almost all of McDavid's ELC. I don't want to see Vancouver make the same mistake.

Look at Pittsburgh. They made the cup finals in back to back years with Crosby / Malkin on ELCs and then it took them 6 years before they got back there despite having 2 of the 3 best players in the world.

Chicago won all their cups with Toews/Kane on ELCs or sweetheart 6M contracts.

Look at the leafs. If they don't win this year they're going to be kicking themselves for the next decade for wasting the last year where they had both Matthew's and Marner signed for peanuts.

Luckily by the time Petey needs a new contract we have Sutter, Baertschi and Gudbranson coming off the books which gives us ~12M of flexibility. Obviously we need to find replacements for those players, but we should be able to fill their spots for a fraction of the cost.

Go all-in. Everything aside from the 2019 1st round pick should be made available in the search for help.

This team can't contend in the next two seasons. They're still way too far away. Even if we get Karlsson, this team is still a couple of top-6 forwards and a starting goalie away from contending for the cup. Not enough cap space and/or trade capital to make all of it happen.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Joel Hanley: The Shot-Suppressing Monster

Should this guy not be a massive, colossal upgrade on Poulliot for our bottom pairing?

Assuming we wait for their D to recover, what would it cost us? Those are some fine stats, but I don't see him being more then a Biega level spare for us. We need top four D to improve, not to name up the path for Juolevi, Woo and Hughes with bottom pairing, at best, D. If the cost was another spare D and a depth forward, rock and roll, he's an improvement. But we have to ditch someone first, or as part of the trade.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Since you guys are on the burakovsky trade suggestion..i thought about this.
Dont know how it adds cap wise..
Burakovsky and Bowey
For
Goldobin Grandlund .Stecher..
Gives us a lil room also for when Beartschi and Sutter come back .
Then Shaller and Gaudette can go down..Gaudette first call up..
Just an idea.
Puke worthy of awful!

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Why are so many people enamoured with Burakovsky all of a sudden? He’s got less points on the season the Jake Virtanen has goals, yet I’ve seen these two names buoyed about together! I’ve seen names like Hutton suggested by zero Vancouver sources Elliott! Like why? Why would Vancouver consider this?

At most Granlund would be the piece I’d be willing to send the other way. Burakovsky is also an arbitration eligible RFA this summer riding a 3m cap hit. If the idea is to mason Raymond him and get a 15% decrease in pay due to his performance would mean he would continue to suck after being acquired.

jester00

Jun 9, 2011
Western Canada
Well, my thought process was of course to waive Poulliot. Moot point now as he's cleared, but I would easy waive DP in the future to replace him with someone like Hanley.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Why are so many people enamoured with Burakovsky all of a sudden? He’s got less points on the season the Jake Virtanen has goals, yet I’ve seen these two names buoyed about together! I’ve seen names like Hutton suggested by zero Vancouver sources Elliott! Like why? Why would Vancouver consider this?

At most Granlund would be the piece I’d be willing to send the other way. Burakovsky is also an arbitration eligible RFA this summer riding a 3m cap hit. If the idea is to mason Raymond him and get a 15% decrease in pay due to his performance would mean he would continue to suck after being acquired.

I mean, if we can dump granlund or Roussel and take a shot at him I'd be down for that.

But yeah, trading Virtanen or especially Hutton would be obviously insane.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I mean, if we can dump granlund or Roussel and take a shot at him I'd be down for that.

But yeah, trading Virtanen or especially Hutton would be obviously insane.
Granlund is still a downgrade for them, even if it means having to not deal with arbitration for Burakovsky because no way they offer UFA Granlund a contract.

I just don’t see why though? He’s constantly gotten chances to play with Oshie and Backstrom as the 2LW and has less points than Jake has goals!!! Even Rooster i wouldn’t want to deal for him, I like Rooster as he really pisses off the other team basically everytime he’s on the ice.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Brandon Sutter only has 2.5 yrs left on a very reasonal 4.5 AAV/yr contract.

I think now is when teams will start inquiring about the cost for him.

A 3rd line centre who can chip in ofdensively but be also be matched up against the other teams best forward has a lot of value around the league. Its usually the last piece of the puzzle that contending teams try to add at the deadline.

Just take a look at what Brassard and Handzus has returned in previous but recent trade deadlines.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

A 3rd line centre who can chip in ofdensively but be also be matched up against the other teams best forward has a lot of value around the league. Its usually the last piece of the puzzle that contending teams try to add at the deadline.

Just take a look at what Brassard and Handzus has returned in previous but recent trade deadlines.

Absolutely agree with you but I Thi k we are still clinging to the idea of him being a foundational centre for our playoff run.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006

Jim Benning stated that Brandon Sutter is his foundation piece for this team.I dont see him being moved anytime.
Im fine keeping Sutts..he is a great leader,kills penalties,chips in goals.His salary is a little bit high but we can say the same about a few others..

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely agree with you but I Thi k we are still clinging to the idea of him being a foundational centre for our playoff run.

3 factors that changed that prespective.

1. Horvat's ridiculous growth on the ice

2. Gaudette has looked good and not out of place.

3. Signing of Jay Beagle

Reactions: JuniorNelson

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Moving Sutter would be an extremely prudent move and would actually make the Beagle signing slightly less horrific.

A team like Buffalo has the flexibility and roster space to add that contract. And they own three first round picks...

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Moving Sutter would be an extremely prudent move and would actually make the Beagle signing slightly less horrific.

A team like Buffalo has the flexibility and roster space to add that contract. And they own three first round picks...

Buffalo's two extra first round picks have some conditions I think, if they have one or two first rounders instead of 3 I assume they'd be more hesitant to deal one of them.

With seemingly half the league soon to have high profile RFAs to pay this summer, you'd think a lot of potential trading partners wouldn't be be keen on muddying the waters even further by adding a guy with a 4.3 mil cap hit for another 2 years.

Montreal doesn't have a ton of financial uncertainty compared to some other teams, they also have some draft capital to burn if they want. They're a team I'd consider looking at for Sutter.

member 290103

Man, everyone loves Sutter now? That’s quite the change from years past.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This team can't contend in the next two seasons. They're still way too far away. Even if we get Karlsson, this team is still a couple of top-6 forwards and a starting goalie away from contending for the cup. Not enough cap space and/or trade capital to make all of it happen.

With the emergence of Pettersson and Brock as well as the continued growth from Horvat our top-6 is fine. It's not realistic to have your entire top-6 filled with 1st line talent. We have 3 legitimate elite/1st line players, and then an entire roster of middle-6 tweeners. Of course it would be nice to add more talent, but I don't think it's essential to be competitive.

Goaltending is unspectacular but fine. As the rest of the team improves they'll take a lot of pressure off the goalies, both in providing more goal support and providing better defensive play to limit high quality scoring chances against.

The only completely unmitigated tire fire on our team right now is the defense. Adding a Norris quality #1 defenseman who eats 25 minutes a night might not completely solve that, but they hide a hell of a lot of warts.

Without that, I agree this team is not close to competing and will do nothing but collect 5-15 overall picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad