2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My favorite part of the article was IMac describing the part of the schedule where the team has a 5 game homestand followed by a trip to SJ/Vegas as "difficult".

Reactions: Ryp37

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Lord.

What does Benning even have to offer? He's already given up a 1st. Would he dare give up the other one? He has no prospects of value. He can't trade a defender. And the forwards are either untouchable or negative value. He doesn't have a surplus anywhere.

What does he have to offer?

The article also states he plans to begin contract negations with Markstrom. Could be Demko because if Markstrom does extend surely Seattle takes one of our two goalies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The article also states he plans to begin contract negations with Markstrom. Could be Demko because if Markstrom does extend surely Seattle takes one of our two goalies.

Or paying Seattle an asset to not take one of our goalies which would not be a good idea.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What route would you guys go with the goalies?
If you can trade Demko for a 1st from say Buffalo around the draft and keep/sign Marky is that the way to go? Would you just keep both and expose the lesser goalie at the time? Markstrom trade seems pretty unlikely is that even an option without a huge gamble on the unknown? Thoughts

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If you can trade Demko for a 1st from say Buffalo around the draft and keep/sign Marky is that the way to go? Would you just keep both and expose the lesser goalie at the time? Markstrom trade seems pretty unlikely is that even an option without a huge gamble on the unknown? Thoughts

I'd say only trade Demko if you can get a really valuable piece back aka (a good Prospect/ younger player/Top 15 pick). If not Keep Demko and let Markstrom walk. This team already has cap issues and will have trouble fitting in Markstrom's next contract.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Trade Markstrom, unless we get a real good offer for Demko. Then trade both and sign an average goaltender as a stopgap since we shouldn't be looking to compete right now. Letting Markstrom walk as a UFA would be disastrous, getting nothing for him and keeping him until he's a run down over the hill goaltender on a bad team isn't great either.

I am happy to keep Demko though, but there is almost no way Markstrom would be on my roster next season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Trade Markstrom, unless we get a real good offer for Demko. Then trade both and sign an average goaltender as a stopgap since we shouldn't be looking to compete right now. Letting Markstrom walk as a UFA would be disastrous, getting nothing for him and keeping him until he's a run down over the hill goaltender on a bad team isn't great either.

I am happy to keep Demko though, but there is almost no way Markstrom would be on my roster next season.
stop gap and then what? Wait for DiPietro? I love the kid but thats a big leap of faith?

Dont really see that as a realistic possbility for a team looking to play meaningful games, but fair enough i did ask?

Any ideas as to Markstroms value and man would that be a tough trade to make from a relationship standpoint. But i guess thats sports sometimes

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
stop gap and then what? Wait for DiPietro? I love the kid but thats a big leap of faith?

Dont really see that as a realistic possbility for a team looking to play meaningful games, but fair enough i did ask?

Any ideas as to Markstroms value and man would that be a tough trade to make from a relationship standpoint. But i guess thats sports sometimes

I don't believe in paying big money for goaltenders in the current NHL. The average level of goaltending has climbed significantly. The difference between a .910 goalie and a .925 goalie is 0.45 goals per game assuming 30 shots against. I believe you're better off using the money you would spend on goaltending on skaters, especially if you could use that money to have an excellent penalty killing 4th line so your stars don't have to kill penalties.

Obviously you can't have horrible goaltending, but goaltenders aren't the hardest players to acquire just because of there only being one starter. With defenders there are 6 players for a young player to pass before he becomes a top guy, with goaltenders there is one. So when you have a good goaltender and you have a good goaltending prospect, one of them has to go. I think you can find good deals on goaltending if you look there rather than spending big bucks on signing established goalies.

I used to be a goalie growing up, I love goalies and I really like Markstrom. I just wouldn't be paying a goalie more than $5m in today's NHL and since we're a rebuilding team I don't see goaltending as a priority upgrade. I would prefer to keep Demko, but if someone were to offer us a real solid package I would be happy.

I'm very happy we turned Luongo and Schneider into Markstrom and Horvat. Lack was alright while he played for us as a stopgap on a non-contending team and Miller was a player we didn't have to spend anything on. In fact, we actually maybe could have traded him and done very well for ourselves

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't believe in paying big money for goaltenders in the current NHL. The average level of goaltending has climbed significantly. The difference between a .910 goalie and a .925 goalie is 0.45 goals per game assuming 30 shots against. I believe you're better off using the money you would spend on goaltending on skaters, especially if you could use that money to have an excellent penalty killing 4th line so your stars don't have to kill penalties.

Obviously you can't have horrible goaltending, but goaltenders aren't the hardest players to acquire just because of there only being one starter. With defenders there are 6 players for a young player to pass before he becomes a top guy, with goaltenders there is one. So when you have a good goaltender and you have a good goaltending prospect, one of them has to go. I think you can find good deals on goaltending if you look there rather than spending big bucks on signing established goalies.

I used to be a goalie growing up, I love goalies and I really like Markstrom. I just wouldn't be paying a goalie more than $5m in today's NHL and since we're a rebuilding team I don't see goaltending as a priority upgrade. I would prefer to keep Demko, but if someone were to offer us a real solid package I would be happy.

I'm very happy we turned Luongo and Schneider into Markstrom and Horvat. Lack was alright while he played for us as a stopgap on a non-contending team and Miller was a player we didn't have to spend anything on. In fact, we actually maybe could have traded him and done very well for ourselves

The other thing with goaltenders is that they tend to be the most tied to the team and the ones whose performance varies the most sharply when moving from one team to another.

I don't know what it is, if it's Ian Clark being a genius or what, but the canucks Ha e basically been able to get 915 goaltending from whoever they throw out there since Luongo. It doesn't matter if it's Eddie lack whose career fell apart in Carolina, or Jacob Markstrom who was waiver bait to begin with, or Ryan Miller or Demko or even some of the ahl scrubs that have played a few games here and there. It makes no real difference. Meanwhile some teams seemingly can't get goaltending no matter who they put in there.

I am pretty confident that we can journeyman goalie X for 1.5M and be fine. I have been saying this all year so nobody can accuse me of "just hating it cause its Benning" after the fact: ponying up the money for Markstrom is the dumbest possible thing they could do this season. I like Markstrom fine, but it's the dumbest idea. The dumbest.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The other thing with goaltenders is that they tend to be the most tied to the team and the ones whose performance varies the most sharply when moving from one team to another.

I don't know what it is, if it's Ian Clark being a genius or what, but the canucks Ha e basically been able to get 915 goaltending from whoever they throw out there since Luongo. It doesn't matter if it's Eddie lack whose career fell apart in Carolina, or Jacob Markstrom who was waiver bait to begin with, or Ryan Miller or Demko or even some of the ahl scrubs that have played a few games here and there. It makes no real difference. Meanwhile some teams seemingly can't get goaltending no matter who they put in there.

I am pretty confident that we can journeyman goalie X for 1.5M and be fine. I have been saying this all year so nobody can accuse me of "just hating it cause its Benning" after the fact: ponying up the money for Markstrom is the dumbest possible thing they could do this season. I like Markstrom fine, but it's the dumbest idea. The dumbest.

Yeah, to me goaltending is the luxury position. The bow on top of the powerhouse team you build. I wouldn't just trade an elite goaltender away from a competitive team, you might slam that cup window shut if you don't find a suitable replacement. However, given that I don't think we'll be competitive for several years, we have a lot of time to try out different options and see who sticks. If Ian Clark is a magician flipping goalies could be a nice stream of draft pick revenue.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

.45 GPG x 45 games = 20 goals. That's a huge move compared to a league average. In a typical season you could count on the fingers of one hand the number of skaters who move the needle that much compared to a league-average skater.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah, to me goaltending is the luxury position. The bow on top of the powerhouse team you build. I wouldn't just trade an elite goaltender away from a competitive team, you might slam that cup window shut if you don't find a suitable replacement. However, given that I don't think we'll be competitive for several years, we have a lot of time to try out different options and see who sticks. If Ian Clark is a magician flipping goalies could be a nice stream of draft pick revenue.

Yeah. I mean, if you've got some money just laying around, then sure. But it's the last place you should be spending it. Maybe, second-last after 4th line bangers.

Like Antti Niemi has a f***ing cup ring for Christ Sakes. Chris Osgood. Tim motherf***ing Thomas. The Blues won with a rookie of 30 career starts last year and the Pens did the same with a rookie of 13 career starts in 2016. Spend your money elsewhere first.

But not on 4th liners.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's not spending it on the 4th line that's the problem, it's spending it on replacement level 4th liners that is the problem. I would happily sacrifice goaltending to upgrade cheap 4th liners into guys like Hansen, Malhotra, Higgins etc. I just don't want to use that money to give Motte a $3m raise.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah. I mean, if you've got some money just laying around, then sure. But it's the last place you should be spending it. Maybe, second-last after 4th line bangers.

Like Antti Niemi has a ****ing cup ring for Christ Sakes. Chris Osgood. Tim mother****ing Thomas. The Blues won with a rookie of 30 career starts last year and the Pens did the same with a rookie of 13 career starts in 2016. Spend your money elsewhere first.

But not on 4th liners.

Tim thomas? Why are you mentioning him with shitters dude was an elite goalie. Especially in that cup run in 2011.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Tim thomas? Why are you mentioning him with ****ters dude was an elite goalie. Especially in that cup run in 2011.

Because he was an established journeymen goalie with 120 AHL games and 150 other games scattered across the ECHL/IHL and Sweden/Finland before he randomly became the best goalie on the planet at age 34. Point being, he wasn't an elite goalie that the Bruins splurged for in FA. He was basically Boston's version of Richard Bachman who was making 1.1M when they named him their starter in 2007. That's just what happens.

Make a rookie your starter. Make a random castoff your starter. It's fine. Everything will be fine. Spending on goalies is the rosetta stone for dumb teams.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Because he was an established journeymen goalie with 120 AHL games and 150 other games scattered across the ECHL/IHL and Sweden/Finland before he randomly became the best goalie on the planet at age 34. Point being, he wasn't an elite goalie that the Bruins splurged for in FA. He was basically Boston's version of Richard Bachman who was making 1.1M when they named him their starter in 2007. That's just what happens.

Make a rookie your starter. Make a random castoff your starter. It's fine. Everything will be fine. Spending on goalies is the rosetta stone for dumb teams.

Thanks for clarifying. Can’t say I don’t disagree I mean look at Markstrom when he first came here. No one thought he’d be able to be a starting caliber.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

keep Marky and Demko for this season (unless the Canucks are way out of the playoff picture I. Which case one of the goalies could be moved).

Otherwise - you could use Demko+ as a bargaining chip at the draft to get a 1st rounder.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
It’s either you trade Demko or you keep Markstrom. Can’t keep both.

I’d let Markstrom walk (since Benning put the team in cap hell) and trade for a stop gap goalie. There’s usually tons out there. Georgiev from NY is on the outs since the Rangers can’t keep Shesterkin in AHL for too long. Or just wait till free agency and sign someone then.

The Rangers also have Tony DeAngelo. Young RH offensive dman that shouldn’t make too much money with a ton of potential. Could be a good buy low candidate as the Rangers are now stuck with Trouba for 8 years and have Fox banging down the door for more opportunity.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not spending it on the 4th line that's the problem, it's spending it on replacement level 4th liners that is the problem. I would happily sacrifice goaltending to upgrade cheap 4th liners into guys like Hansen, Malhotra, Higgins etc. I just don't want to use that money to give Motte a $3m raise.

Those guys were elite 3rd liners. Higgins and Hansen at their best were 2nd liners at ES who didn't have PP utility.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad