2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
What the ****?

First of all, Panarin and Karlsson will be looking for that kind of money on a 6-7 year term. Secondly, Ferland? You list Michael Ferland as a target? Ugh.

If panarin gains a $14m AAV contract for 6+ years next season I’ll donate $100 to a charity of your choice.

Also I don’t like Ferland either but he’s the type of player I see being paired with EP and BB. Lee or Simmonds for two years would be preferable, and my top choice would be Pavelski.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Hutton should probably be traded. I'm with Botch on that one. Other teams might just look at his minutes and assume he's playable in the top four when he's really not. If you can get some value for him I think now is a good time to do it.

I assume it's been discussed previously, but what's the deal with Alex Wennberg? Notice he's probably on his way out in C-Bus and I seem to recall he was compared to Horvat during his ~60 point season. Obviously the contract sucks, but would he be worth looking at for a buy-low candidate?

I would look to flip Virtanen for another young player in that age range with some more upside, as well.

I'd flip Sutter for Wennberg. Might have to add a bit as Sutter is horrendous. One upside for a team like the Canucks is that Wennberg is an under-25 contract, making a buy-out easier to swallow if he doesn't turn his game around.

He'd give us a player to build an offensively orientated third line around, and a playmaker for the second unit power play (which has been atrocious for years now). His ES possession metrics are solid, even if he plays on the perimeter a bit much for my liking. He also has that Henrik Sedin quality where he refuses to shoot the puck, which makes it paramount to surround him with shooters.

His 59 point season was an anomaly based on high PP production, but this season is likely an anomaly the other way. Realistic expectations would be ~10 goals and ~40 points, which, when you consider how much of a wasteland our bottom 6 is today, would be a big step forward.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One upside for a team like the Canucks is that Wennberg is an under-25 contract, making a buy-out easier to swallow if he doesn't turn his game around.

Isn’t that rule only if the player is bought out prior to his 25th birthday? Considering Wennberg turns 25 in September this wouldn’t give us any benefit. He’s also got 4 more years at $5M. I’d steer clear unless it was Eriksson going the other way.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Isn’t that rule only if the player is bought out prior to his 25th birthday? Considering Wennberg turns 25 in September this wouldn’t give us any benefit. He’s also got 4 more years at $5M. I’d steer clear unless it was Eriksson going the other way.

No we'd still have the option of a cheap buyout in 2020 if we traded for him.

Honestly I think it's likely Columbus just buys him out this season, so just wait until they do and then sign him.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Every time I watch Mats Zuccarella he seems like a perfect match for Pettersson and Boeser. I would have zero issues on a 2 year higher salary for a player like this. Very smart, hard working and produces.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Zucc is a solid player. If we were closer to competing he'd be a good add, like Dallas did. For the Canucks at their current state its a waste of cap space to sign him.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Zucc is a solid player. If we were closer to competing he'd be a good add, like Dallas did. For the Canucks at their current state its a waste of cap space to sign him.
I tend to agree with this as well. Essentially we need to be adding players 27-ish and younger. Doesn’t really make sense to be bringing on older players that may not be part of this core during their prime.

Really we need at least 1-2 top 6 wingers and another top pairing D. So sizeable, important holes will have to be filled at some point over the next few seasons (to consider this rebuild done). We are at least 2 more years away I’d say...

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Canucks need to add skill, and with the right short term contract, Zuccerello would be a good addition.

It's not just about adding picks and young players. It's about adding good players who can help the development of the younger players already here. Not "culture carriers" but skilled players that aren't anchors to the Pettersson's and Horvat's. Younger would be better, but adding a skilled veteran on a 2 year deal would be smart.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Every time I watch Mats Zuccarella he seems like a perfect match for Pettersson and Boeser. I would have zero issues on a 2 year higher salary for a player like this. Very smart, hard working and produces.
Realistically you could insert a lot of UFA forwards this year on this term and no one would care. It's once we get into the 3 year + range that it's worrisome- especially when JB will be trying to save his job by making playoffs and will overpay to get "his guy" no matter the long term hindrance the contract will have after this one season.

Ideally someone steals his phone and gives it back on July 2nd once the crazy spending is over and we get 1-2 of the guys who had a smaller than expected market. My tiers as of now:

Term ok: Karlsson, Panarin, Duchene
3-4 max: Skinner
2-3 max (2 ideal): Eberle, Lee, Nelson, Zuccarelo, Nyquist,
2 year or GTFO: Pavelski, Ferlund, Simmonds, Dzingle, Hayes, MoJo, Myers, Gardiner, Stralman

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Canucks need to add skill, and with the right short term contract, Zuccerello would be a good addition.

It's not just about adding picks and young players. It's about adding good players who can help the development of the younger players already here. Not "culture carriers" but skilled players that aren't anchors to the Pettersson's and Horvat's. Younger would be better, but adding a skilled veteran on a 2 year deal would be smart.
What will be accomplished in those 2 years?!

Nothing. Might be a wildcard team.

By then our prospects should be better and closer to prime but then zucc is pushing 34 years old...

Its a stop gap with no real benefits.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What will be accomplished in those 2 years?!

Nothing. Might be a wildcard team.

By then our prospects should be better and closer to prime but then zucc is pushing 34 years old...

Its a stop gap with no real benefits.

Do you really want Pettersson and Boeser to have an anchor LW?

Do you really want to watch Horvat play with anchor wingers?

Bring in skilled players to play with EP and Horvat is something the Canucks need to do. Almost as much as moving out the gluten of bottom 6 forwards they have

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Hard pass on Zuccarello. Turning 32 soon and is a career ~55 point guy.

Hard pass on a guy that has put up points like Brock Boeser, our ~55 point guy? He was on pace for 60+ this year.

I consider it an easy, obvious pass.

A team in a position in which it should be rebuilding has no business going after small wingers in free agency who will be 32 years old before the first season of their new contracts. The only possible rationale would be to hope he could be flipped for an asset, but that's always an iffy proposition and I agree with VanillaCoke. Imo this team shouldn't be looking for stopgaps that have no future benefits.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
On a 1 year deal or a front loaded 2 year deal, Zuccerello is a decent option. Hes not my first choice but under those circumstances he shouldn't be considered untouchable.
Again. What is that going to accomplish?
And thats separate from the issue of why would zucc sign a 1 year deal?!?!

And yes I did notice the goalposts move..

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Again. What is that going to accomplish?
And thats separate from the issue of why would zucc sign a 1 year deal?!?!

And yes I did notice the goalposts move..

Pettersson and Boeser evolving by playing with a decent linemate.

It's not all about drafting them, you have to make them better as wel

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pettersson and Boeser evolving by playing with a decent linemate.

It's not all about drafting them, you have to make them better as wel
Very cool and nice, they can do that with a 25year old just as well if not better than a 32yr old UFA Zuccarello who is going to sign a 1 yr deal for some still unexplained reason..

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Very cool and nice, they can do that with a 25year old just as well if not better than a 32yr old UFA Zuccarello who is going to sign a 1 yr deal for some still unexplained reason..

What 25 year old might that be? What assets do we even have to make a trade for a 25 year old? On a normal rebuild team I would 100% agree with you.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Off the top of my head nelson, lee, Dzingle duchene, eberle all better options than mats " 1year deal" Zuccarello

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Off the top of my head nelson, lee, Dzingle duchene, eberle all better options than mats " 1year deal" Zuccarello
Depends on term. Of that list, Duchene is the only one I'd be comfortable with for more than 3 years. If it's one of those other guys on a 5 year deal VS Zuc on a 1 year high AAV deal, I'm more inclined on the latter option. I don't trust Benning to get a good contract in free agency, and foresee him throwing more term at guys this offseason than he should- just to get his guys. For him it's "get my guys at any cost to save my job by making playoffs, and if I still fail that goal, then I won't be around anymore to have to navigate those bad contracts. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad