2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Well since the Zuke conversation went nowhere we now should really be calling TB to take a Tyler Johnson plus a good prospect or high pick for basically nothing. Not locking on Johnson just using his contract as an example.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Would love to see us take a flyer on Toffoli. Coming off a subpar season but has been an effective middle-6 winger throughout his career. Only has one season left at 4.6 million. Would see if we could swing a Virtanen for Toffoli deal.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Toffoli is a 40pt player with one good season. Playing on a big that 70s line with jeff Carter.
Seemingly that season is the exception not the rule

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Toffoli is a 40pt player with one good season. Playing on a big that 70s line with jeff Carter.
Seemingly that season is the exception not the rule

Whatever the case is, he's a solid middle-six winger and he'd probably become our second best RW instantly. Let's face it, we're not going to get two legitimate top-6 forwards this off-season. We might not even get one. Toffoli is a good buy-low option who I think would fit well with Pearson and Horvat on the 2nd line.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder if the are considering throwing $9-10m at Duchene. I don't see him accepting but he would be a name to sell.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be looking so hard at sending Markstrom to any of the teams with imploding goaltending. I think both sides say no to this because of an aversion to change but:

Martin Jones [.896 sv% regular season, .849 sv% playoffs] @ 5.75M x 5 years remaining, NTC + 2020 SJ 1st round pick + conditional 2020 2nd (if Markstrom re-signs)

for

Jacob Markstrom [.912 sv% regular season] @ 3.67M x 1 year remaining

2M in cap savings and nearly 20 points in save percentage for a SJ that has always been aggressive and will want to a) use that money to keep Karlsson and Pavelski and b) make another run before Thornton retires c) is getting destroyed because of awful goaltending

Only problem for us is that terrible term on Jones' contract. Think that's probably the biggest factor here, but he could probably be a decent backup for a few years at least.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Well since the Zuke conversation went nowhere we now should really be calling TB to take a Tyler Johnson plus a good prospect or high pick for basically nothing. Not locking on Johnson just using his contract as an example.
I think Tampa will get some sort of payment for Johnson. But I think they will try to move, Johnsson, Miller and Callahan. The first 2 could be decent adds for the Canucks, since they are able to play all forward positions.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think Tampa will get some sort of payment for Johnson. But I think they will try to move, Johnsson, Miller and Callahan. The first 2 could be decent adds for the Canucks, since they are able to play all forward positions.
I wonder if we could get all three! Callahan for Sutter could work, we could ask for a 1st, just need to convince Callahan. It adds $1.3m but that isn't a bad expense for a 1st and Callahan only has one year left.

I crunched the numbers and we could actually take all 3 Johnsson, Miller and Callahan in a package with Callahan negating the value or Johnsson and Miller to some degree.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I wonder if we could get all three! Callahan for Sutter could work, we could ask for a 1st, just need to convince Callahan. It adds $1.3m but that isn't a bad expense for a 1st and Callahan only has one year left.

I crunched the numbers and we could actually take all 3 Johnsson, Miller and Callahan in a package with Callahan negating the value or Johnsson and Miller to some degree.

We would be wise to take advantage of our cap space to help out the Bolts for assets in return. Marleau in TOR would be another potential.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Thing is if we Add that many forwards at least as many need to go out. Guess we can let Granlund go, but if we do the deal above we Also need to get rid of Eriksson (as we should) guess we can stash Motte & Spooner in the Minors.

Johnson-Petterson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Callahan

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thing is if we Add that many forwards at least as many need to go out. Guess we can let Granlund go, but if we do the deal above we Also need to get rid of Eriksson (as we should) guess we can stash Motte & Spooner in the Minors.

Johnson-Petterson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leivo-Beagle-Callahan

We need to get rid of Eriksson even if we don't do that deal. ;)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People expecting to get these guys for nothing are going to be surprised at what they return. They're just going to do what the Blackhawks did with Buff and Ladd in the past and just trade them for futures (mostly picks), call the next man up from Syracuse and keep ticking along.

You're not getting picks and prospect plus Johnson for nothing, that's just ludicrous. These guys aren't bad contracts or bad players. This is not Lucic, Eriksson or Backes we're talking about.

I think Callahan is for surely gone, now whether that's a trade or a buyout it creates a big chunk of space. Their worry will be the blueline moving forward, but being in Florida (no state tax) with a youngish elite team, they should be able to attract undervalued talents on reasonable deals.

I don't think they have that big of a problem, they just had a bad series.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
People expecting to get these guys for nothing are going to be surprised at what they return. They're just going to do what the Blackhawks did with Buff and Ladd in the past and just trade them for futures (mostly picks), call the next man up from Syracuse and keep ticking along.

You're not getting picks and prospect plus Johnson for nothing, that's just ludicrous. These guys aren't bad contracts or bad players. This is not Lucic, Eriksson or Backes we're talking about.

I think Callahan is for surely gone, now whether that's a trade or a buyout it creates a big chunk of space. Their worry will be the blueline moving forward, but being in Florida (no state tax) with a youngish elite team, they should be able to attract undervalued talents on reasonable deals.

I don't think they have that big of a problem, they just had a bad series.

I never said I had an issue with Tampa Bay design as a team, I know they will be fine.

They $6.3 million in cap space and require to sign:

Point ~7-8 million
Four D-men because Girardi, Coburn, Stralman and Ruuta(I know NBD) are all UFA
Save enough money for Sergachev, Cirelli and Vasilevskiy the following season

They are in a bad situation with the cap, even with a Callahan move. I just threw out Johnson as a name and you are right he does have more value but if any team is willing to take a Callahan or Palat off their hands they will receive an asset to go with it. That's just how it works and Buff was traded in his prime, not approaching 30.

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I never said I had an issue with Tampa Bay design as a team, I know they will be fine.

They $6.3 million in cap space and require to sign:

Point ~7-8 million
Four D-men because Girardi, Coburn, Stralman and Ruuta(I know NBD) are all UFA
Save enough money for Sergachev, Cirelli and Vasilevskiy the following season

They are in a bad situation with the cap, even with a Callahan move. I just threw out Johnson as a name and you are right he does have more value but if any team is willing to take a Callahan or Palat off their hands they will receive an asset to go with it. That's just how it works and Buff was traded in his prime, not approaching 30.
Oh, I was just using your post as a discussion starter not as you having issues with Tampa.

I don't think they're worried at all about the space they'll need in two seasons.

They've also got a loaded system and their NHL players are value chips, not some bad contract throwaway type players. It'll be tight and obviously it won't be easy, but I just can't see these pennies on the dollar type deals. The players they'd be selling would be sought after players.

It's going to be tricky and interesting to observe, I just don't expect it to be giving away talented players.

Reactions: BerSTUzzi

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Would love to see us take a flyer on Toffoli. Coming off a subpar season but has been an effective middle-6 winger throughout his career. Only has one season left at 4.6 million. Would see if we could swing a Virtanen for Toffoli deal.
Was thinking this the other day as well. Reunite Pearson and Toffoli with a great centerman in Horvat. I think that line would be amazing.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Keep going. Beagle got 4, Zucc will get 4+ somewhere unless they overpay for 3.
This is also the exact reason we need to be patient in free agency. When Beagle gets 4 years as a 4C why would any other free agent not look for at least the same term. It's a bad negotiation point that will work against us as long as Jim is in power. That and with him trying to save his job, the writing is on the wall for 1-2 terrible termed contracts (Myers and Simmonds for 6 years each as an example)

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Only problem for us is that terrible term on Jones' contract. Think that's probably the biggest factor here, but he could probably be a decent backup for a few years at least.

And that's a HUGE problem. If the Canucks are moving Markstrom it's because they're handing the reigns to Demko and don't want to offer Markstrom a big contract. I bet they could get a 2nd+ from a team such as Carolina and avoid having to take on a boat anchor contract.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We need to get rid of Eriksson even if we don't do that deal. ;)

If this management team has any balls they tell Loui he's riding the bus in the AHL for a $1M this season. See if he decides to just pack up and head back to Sweden when faced with that reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad