Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
How many even-strength points? What was his usage like? Was he physical defensively? Was he able to read and react defensively to different looks on the ice?

All anyone who blindly defends the player does is shout out 13 POINTS IN 18 GAMES!!!! Without any context. Anyone who watched him and explain the way he got those 13 point gets shouted down as just being negative.

As I said, he needs to round out his game. 18 games isn't a whole lot of time to adjust to a different league and he was likely to get better as the year went on. That's exactly what happened last year, finishing strong as the team's best dman in the playoffs.

You don't get those 13 points without being able to move the puck well. He was arguably the best puck mover among the dmen, but anyone who blindly hates the player just shouts stuff like his +/-!!! or tries to pretend the points he got doesn't count. Was it Juolevi's fault that his teamates couldn't score at 5-on-5? Can he not get stronger and learn to play more physical? Were all of his points just fluke plays and lucky bounces?

You make it sound like the guy struggled to even get in the lineup. You completely ignore any good he does, and I don't get why. Of coarse he needs to improve - I said that before you even quoted me, but give the guy a little credit. How did he stack up against other 20 year olds in the AHL through their first 18 games?

Reactions: Old school nuckles

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
As I said, he needs to round out his game. 18 games isn't a whole lot of time to adjust to a different league and he was likely to get better as the year went on. That's exactly what happened last year, finishing strong as the team's best dman in the playoffs.

You don't get those 13 points without being able to move the puck well. He was arguably the best puck mover among the dmen, but anyone who blindly hates the player just shouts stuff like his +/-!!! or tries to pretend the points he got doesn't count. Was it Juolevi's fault that his teamates couldn't score at 5-on-5? Can he not get stronger and learn to play more physical? Were all of his points just fluke plays and lucky bounces?

You make it sound like the guy struggled to even get in the lineup. You completely ignore any good he does, and I don't get why. Of coarse he needs to improve - I said that before you even quoted me, but give the guy a little credit. How did he stack up against other 20 year olds in the AHL through their first 18 games?

Those are Pouliot like numbers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Juolevi was excellent on the PP where he racked up most of those points. He unquestionably has NHL hands and the ability to give and receive a pass.

At ES, he was a disaster. He was given incredibly sheltered minutes - no PK usage, virtually no defensive zone faceoffs - and was getting eviscerated defensively. Can't skate, allergic to physical contact. One of the softest players I've ever seen. All the nice hands in the world won't mean a thing if he's this soft, slow, and weak defensively.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

Juolevi was excellent on the PP where he racked up most of those points. He unquestionably has NHL hands and the ability to give and receive a pass.

At ES, he was a disaster. He was given incredibly sheltered minutes - no PK usage, virtually no defensive zone faceoffs - and was getting eviscerated defensively. Can't skate, allergic to physical contact. One of the softest players I've ever seen. All the nice hands in the world won't mean a thing if he's this soft, slow, and weak defensively.

8 of his 13 points were on the PP
7 of his 13 points were secondary assists
He had 1 even strength primary point in 18 games.

At even strength he was on the ice for 7 GF and 16 GA which seems to corroborate with what MS said about him being eviscerated defensively.

He was also on the ice for 3 SHGA so it seems he was on the PK at least a little bit?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
8 of his 13 points were on the PP
7 of his 13 points were secondary assists
He had 1 even strength primary point in 18 games.

At even strength he was on the ice for 7 GF and 16 GA which seems to corroborate with what MS said about him being eviscerated defensively.

He was also on the ice for 3 SHGA so it seems he was on the PK at least a little bit?

The 3 SHGA were short-handed goals against Utica scored while he was on the PP, not goals while Utica was shorthanded.

Reactions: timw33

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
The 3 SHGA were short-handed goals against Utica scored while he was on the PP, not goals while Utica was shorthanded.

You're completely right, I just didn't know how to read the table.
It says juolevi was also on the ice for 2 PPGA though, maybe he was used on the PK sparingly or in a couple games in the beginning of the season but got taken off the PK units later on?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're completely right, I just didn't know how to read the table.
It says juolevi was also on the ice for 2 PPGA though, maybe he was used on the PK sparingly or in a couple games in the beginning of the season but got taken off the PK units later on?

I missed the first few games at the start of October so he may have been on the PK a bit right away and then been taken off. In the dozen or so games I watched, he was never used on the PK.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I know you can head hunt the stats against him but unless I’m looking at the replay where OJ made the error you can’t attribute those stats fairly against him, for all we know the forward could have made a terrible pass to the point, the other team dumped it on net and it bounced past our goaltender or any variable of bad play in which OJ was just on the ice but was in no way involved

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I know you can head hunt the stats against him but unless I’m looking at the replay where OJ made the error you can’t attribute those stats fairly against him, for all we know the forward could have made a terrible pass to the point, the other team dumped it on net and it bounced past our goaltender or any variable of bad play in which OJ was just on the ice but was in no way involved
I'm all for being positive and hoping the best for all of our prospects, but I think you may be guilty of going a little overboard in keeping the line. Unless I misinterpreted your post, in which case I apologize in advance!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I watched most of his games. His -12 was well-earned. He was a trainwreck defensively.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
for all we know

You're arguing against multiple eyewitness accounts from posters who watched the majority of his AHL games, including committed Utica comets fans who very graciously contribute their game reports. They all corroborate the reports on Juolevi's AHL season.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Sorry I jumped into the conversation around the goals against while in the powerplay, I’m a fence rider with Juolevi, hope for the best expecting the worst......I’m giving him time ala Virtanen.

I didn’t watch a single Juolevi AHL game so there’s that, I won’t try to impress upon HFBoards the type of player he is but I’m also gonna give him a little rope because he was a rookie on a poor team...... all this being said I screamed bloody murder at my tv that horrible draft day

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Juolevi was coming off injury shortened summer last year so I am not sure his 18 games are true indication of who he is or who he will become. I saw a player in training camp that was great with the puck putting it is good spots for teammates but lacked speed and strength.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Juolevi was coming off injury shortened summer last year so I am not sure his 18 games are true indication of who he is or who he will become. I saw a player in training camp that was great with the puck putting it is good spots for teammates but lacked speed and strength.

If you think he struggled after "coming off injury shortened summer last year", just wait until you see the player after "coming off injury shortened summer last year" two years in a row and missing the majority of the season.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If you think he struggled after "coming off injury shortened summer last year", just wait until you see the player after "coming off injury shortened summer last year" two years in a row and missing the majority of the season.
Yes I expect he to start slow but then improve greatly as year goes on.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
One question about the draft:

Realistically, at the #10 spot, if the Canucks wanted to "swing for the fences" and pick the guy with the highest potential (and this guy wasn't necessarily the safest pick at #10), which guy would this be?

Whoever fits that description, I'm thinking that it might be in the Canucks' interests to 'swing for the fences' with this pick. We swung with Pettersson and it obviously paid off. Make this strategy would work again.

Reactions: Jimnastic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One question about the draft:

Realistically, at the #10 spot, if the Canucks wanted to "swing for the fences" and pick the guy with the highest potential (and this guy wasn't necessarily the safest pick at #10), which guy would this be?

Whoever fits that description, I'm thinking that it might be in the Canucks' interests to 'swing for the fences' with this pick. We swung with Pettersson and it obviously paid off. Make this strategy would work again.

Arthur Kaliyev.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Arthur Kaliyev.

Yup. #1 overall-calibre production and offensive instincts. The lack of urgency/effort is real, plus the average skating, but skill level is off the charts.

Has PPG upside if he puts it together as a pro. My comp for him was prime Tomas Vanek.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup. #1 overall-calibre production and offensive instincts. The lack of urgency/effort is real, plus the average skating, but skill level is off the charts.

Has PPG upside if he puts it together as a pro. My comp for him was prime Tomas Vanek.

Yup. Is very much like Vanek and wouldn't surprise me at all to see him score 40 goals in this league. But the ghost of Pavel Brendl is following him around as well.

10 might be a bit early but at 15 I'd be all over him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The other thing I wonder about Kaliyev is where he'd be ranked if his name was Arthur Smith from Mississauga. Even though he's fully American, I feel there's some Russian stereotyping going on. Oliver Wahlstrom wasn't ranked down like this for the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad