Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Woo and Focht both snubbed from the Team Canada WJC camp after attending the summer camp.

Sounds like it will be another WJC followed by a bottom ten finish where this team only has 2-3 prospects in the tournament.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Other than Mikey DiPietro, it's so long since the Canucks have had an impact player on Team Canada, I'm almost ambivalent on how they do. In the past few tournament the Americans and Finns have had more future Canucks playing for them.

I have no idea how this edition of Canada will stack up, but last year's entry couldn't have scored on a soccer goal and were excruciating to watch. Kind of curious about Silovs. Is Latvia in this tournament, and is he eligible to play?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Other than Mikey DiPietro, it's so long since the Canucks have had an impact player on Team Canada, I'm almost ambivalent on how they do. In the past few tournament the Americans and Finns have had more future Canucks playing for them.

I have no idea how this edition of Canada will stack up, but last year's entry couldn't have scored on a soccer goal and were excruciating to watch. Kind of curious about Silovs. Is Latvia in this tournament, and is he eligible to play?
Yeah is Team USA announced yet? Is Madden and Rathy boy Bonerson locks to make it i wonder?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Why is it weird?

Claiming that this team will finish bottom 10 while they are sitting in a playoff spot with one game in hand on Vegas and close to the the top 3 of pacific is a wild take

Also I don’t see any problem having only 2-3 players in WJC when the core of this team are so young.

Our 2019 first and second round pick will both be in the WJC, our 2018 1st round pick is in the Calder race.

2018 2nd round pick has a weak start to the season but he’s also playing on a bad Calgary Hitman team

Reactions: DonnyNucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After re-watching some of those Tyler Madden NCAA highlights, I'm really starting to wonder when he signs, and how much time he's going to need in the minors. Already has NHL wheels as far as I can see, and if there's a kid who could make a splash in pro hockey at 160 pounds, it's Madden.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Claiming that this team will finish bottom 10 while they are sitting in a playoff spot with one game in hand on Vegas and close to the the top 3 of pacific is a wild take

I never made that claim, you just have poor reading comprehension. Re-read my post.

Also I don’t see any problem having only 2-3 players in WJC when the core of this team are so young.

Our 2019 first and second round pick will both be in the WJC, our 2018 1st round pick is in the Calder race.

2018 2nd round pick has a weak start to the season but he’s also playing on a bad Calgary Hitman team

Having only a three or so prospects in the WJC each year for a period of five or so years when you are one of, if not the worst, team in the NHL is really bad. And also, Quinn Hughes is 20 and wouldn't be eligible this year anyway.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I never made that claim, you just have poor reading comprehension. Re-read my post.

Having only a three or so prospects in the WJC each year for a period of five or so years when you are one of, if not the worst, team in the NHL is really bad. And also, Quinn Hughes is 20 and wouldn't be eligible this year anyway.
Again, it really doesnt matter when your core players are all under the age of 24, it's not like there is no future for the team.
You are putting too much stock in to a 2 weeks junior tournament where players dont even get to practice together that much

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Sounds like it will be another WJC followed by a bottom ten finish where this team only has 2-3 prospects in the tournament.

I normally read and then disregard the negative posts, but curiosity made me look it up. You are only 25-50% off on your claim.

2018 - Vancouver had more selections than 14 other teams
2019 - Vancouver had more selections than 18 other teams

Vancouver Canucks (4) 2018

• F Jonah Gadjovich – Canada – 2017 second round pick (55th)
  • D Olli Juolevi – Finland – 2016 first round pick (5th)
  • F Elias Pettersson – Sweden – 2017 first round pick (5th)
  • F Will Lockwood – United States – 2016 third round pick (64th)
Vancouver Canucks (4) 2019

• G Michael DiPietro – Canada – 2017 third round pick (64th)
  • D Toni Utunen – Finland – 2018 fifth round pick (130th)
  • D Quinn Hughes – United States – 2018 first round pick (7th)
  • F Tyler Madden – United States – 2018 third round pick (68th)

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I normally read and then disregard the negative posts, but curiosity made me look it up. You are only 25-50% off on your claim.

2018 - Vancouver had more sections than 14 other teams

You want to talk about being negative. Guy says 2-3 and it ends up being four. Who cares? Lmao at calling that "50% off." This is the kind of disingenuous bullshit that makes things "toxic."

Gadjovich barely even counts anyway. Did he even get into a game?

His point clearly stands.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
You want to talk about being negative. Guy says 2-3 and it ends up being four. Who cares? Lmao at calling that "50% off." This is the kind of disingenuous bull**** that makes things "toxic."

How is proving that a claim is inaccurate, being negative? I just said bullshit.

Guy makes a number claim that is false and you imply that it is close enough to the truth, so it stands, in cases where it suits you?

If I had said:
"No, Hodgy, I think the number of selections is 5-6 every year", then would you also not care? I am sure you don't use this type of rounding in your potato list.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
You want to talk about being negative. Guy says 2-3 and it ends up being four. Who cares? Lmao at calling that "50% off." This is the kind of disingenuous bull**** that makes things "toxic."

It was a great response with facts given. Their were a lot of false claims with original post. The strength of the canuck young talent has been shown from numerous neutral sources this year. Some prospects rise some fall like every team. Woo and others are down while Madden and others are up. The development of Hughes, Demko and Gaudette at NHL level is the best news for the organization. The only issue is I do not see a push next year from our prospects.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

2018 - Vancouver had more sections than 14 other teams

Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I had wondered how we compared to other teams. Sometimes I think we focus too much on just Team Canada and ignore the other countries where we have had good representation. Especially the US where Brackett’s picks come in to play. We’ve done really well with the US guys.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Too bad for Jett Woo. I don't see him as an inferior choice to half of those selected, and the team decided to roll with a couple of 2020 undrafted guys. WJC selections are always hotly contested and every year there's surprises and snubs. I'm sure he will use it as motivation. I think there's also a pretty good chance Canada could miss his presence and relative experience against bigger teams on the RHS. He has a knack for separating players from pucks, and I'm not sure who on that D can do that any better.

Remember last two years, Hughes had a terrible WJC and Petterson's was relatively pedestrian as well, and there was a lot of hand wringing on these boards. The takeaway is that the tourney is fun to watch but it portends little about the future.

Sounds like we'll have:

Pod
Madden
Hoglander
Utunen
Plasek

Anyone else?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

I mean we are also closer to being a bottom 10 team(3 points) than the lead in the division(5points); heck the 2 points between us and Vegas is the same between us and being 4th last in the confrence. So us finishing bottom
10 isn’t as crazy as you make it seem.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Too bad for Jett Woo. I don't see him as an inferior choice to half of those selected, and the team decided to roll with a couple of 2020 undrafted guys. WJC selections are always hotly contested and every year there's surprises and snubs. I'm sure he will use it as motivation. I think there's also a pretty good chance Canada could miss his presence and relative experience against bigger teams on the RHS. He has a knack for separating players from pucks, and I'm not sure who on that D can do that any better.

Remember last two years, Hughes had a terrible WJC and Petterson's was relatively pedestrian as well, and there was a lot of hand wringing on these boards. The takeaway is that the tourney is fun to watch but it portends little about the future.

Sounds like we'll have:

Pod
Madden
Hoglander
Utunen
Plasek

Anyone else?
Madden will not be in the tournament.

20 year old players are only allowed if their 20th birthday begins on the start date of the tournament, or if they turn 20 throughout the tournament.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

so you're not persnickety about numbers after all. good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad