Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Other than Mikey DiPietro, it's so long since the Canucks have had an impact player on Team Canada, I'm almost ambivalent on how they do. In the past few tournament the Americans and Finns have had more future Canucks playing for them.

I have no idea how this edition of Canada will stack up, but last year's entry couldn't have scored on a soccer goal and were excruciating to watch. Kind of curious about Silovs. Is Latvia in this tournament, and is he eligible to play?
Latvia is in the division IA tournament this year. Unfortunately Silovs wasn't named to the pre tournament roster. He'll have another chance next year as he's a 2001 born.

U-20 izlase devusies uz Minsku, sastāvu čempionātam nosauks pēc spēles ar Austriju

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You want to talk about being negative. Guy says 2-3 and it ends up being four. Who cares? Lmao at calling that "50% off." This is the kind of disingenuous bull**** that makes things "toxic."

Gadjovich barely even counts anyway. Did he even get into a game?

His point clearly stands.
Got benched when it mattered and his replacement scored the tournament winner.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I mean we are also closer to being a bottom 10 team(3 points) than the lead in the division(5points); heck the 2 points between us and Vegas is the same between us and being 4th last in the confrence. So us finishing bottom
10 isn’t as crazy as you make it seem.

My reference was to last year’s bottom ten finish. In terms of this year’s WJCs, the Canucks current rank in the standings is irrelevant.

I normally read and then disregard the negative posts, but curiosity made me look it up. You are only 25-50% off on your claim.

2018 - Vancouver had more sections than 14 other teams
2019 - Vancouver had more selections than 18 other teams

Vancouver Canucks (4) 2018

• F Jonah Gadjovich – Canada – 2017 second round pick (55th)
  • D Olli Juolevi – Finland – 2016 first round pick (5th)
  • F Elias Pettersson – Sweden – 2017 first round pick (5th)
  • F Will Lockwood – United States – 2016 third round pick (64th)
Vancouver Canucks (4) 2019

• G Michael DiPietro – Canada – 2017 third round pick (64th)
  • D Toni Utunen – Finland – 2018 fifth round pick (130th)
  • D Quinn Hughes – United States – 2018 first round pick (7th)
  • F Tyler Madden – United States – 2018 third round pick (68th)

First, I should have said “two or three or so”, but the point clearly stands. Second, your post is a perfect microcosm of the failure of many Benning supporters to appreciate reasonable baseline expectations. Like, in 2018, we had more players in the WJCs than 14 teams (I.e., we were in the middle of the pack) despite the fact that we were one of if not the worst teams in the NHL for the preceding three years. Like, do you not understand how we should have had more players in the WJCs than like 25 plus teams based on draft position alone? And this ignores the fact that systematically speaking bad teams are put in a place where they can get more picks at the deadline. 2019 is a similar story just slightly less pronounced.

Reactions: wetcoast

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Well that's too bad for Madden - he could have been one of the tourney's high scorers.

Really interesting to see how Podkolzin and Hoglander will do. Especially Pod who hasn't seemingly been able to gain much traction this year.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well that's too bad for Madden - he could have been one of the tourney's high scorers.

Really interesting to see how Podkolzin and Hoglander will do. Especially Pod who hasn't seemingly been able to gain much traction this year.
Why is it too bad for Madden?

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Sounds like it will be another WJC followed by a bottom ten finish where this team only has 2-3 prospects in the tournament.
Your original post sure implies that you are discussing the 2020 WJC and a bottom 10 Canuck finish in 2020.

(Hodgy) Claiming that this team will finish bottom 10 while they are sitting in a playoff spot with one game in hand on Vegas and close to the the top 3 of pacific is a wild take
@Billy Kvcmu says you have a weird take on the final standings

I never made that claim, you just have poor reading comprehension. Re-read my post.
I read it the same as Billy and I do not have poor reading comprehension. Can you restate what your point is again, please?

My reference was to last year’s bottom ten finish. In terms of this year’s WJCs, the Canucks current rank in the standings is irrelevant.

First, I should have said “two or three or so”, but the point clearly stands. Second, your post is a perfect microcosm of the failure of many Benning supporters to appreciate reasonable baseline expectations. Like, in 2018, we had more players in the WJCs than 14 teams (I.e., we were in the middle of the pack) despite the fact that we were one of if not the worst teams in the NHL for the preceding three years. Like, do you not understand how we should have had more players in the WJCs than like 25 plus teams based on draft position alone? And this ignores the fact that systematically speaking bad teams are put in a place where they can get more picks at the deadline. 2019 is a similar story just slightly less pronounced.

Can you still make this claim, since your retort still quotes an incorrect number? If yes, then please restate your point.

If you have a chance to examine the actual data, you will see that there are reasons why teams have higher/lower selections each WJC, and your theory is false. There appears to be no correlation between draft position and number of WJC selections in following years.

D+2 players are too old
Players are not released by NHL team
Selected players are lower round picks on weaker junior teams
Eligible players are not selected on stronger junior teams
Teams have more/less eligible draft picks
Injuries

I generally like your posts but is it reasonable to fault the Canucks for not trading for more draft picks, without sounding like a micro-manager?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Your original post sure implies that you are discussing the 2020 WJC and a bottom 10 Canuck finish in 2020.

@Billy Kvcmu says you have a weird take on the final standings

I read it the same as Billy and I do not have poor reading comprehension. Can you restate what your point is again, please?

Can you still make this claim, since your retort still quotes an incorrect number? If yes, then please restate your point.

If you have a chance to examine the actual data, you will see that there are reasons why teams have higher/lower selections each WJC, and your theory is false. There appears to be no correlation between draft position and number of WJC selections in following years.

D+2 players are too old
Players are not released by NHL team
Selected players are lower round picks on weaker junior teams
Eligible players are not selected on stronger junior teams
Teams have more/less eligible draft picks
Injuries

I generally like your posts but is it reasonable to fault the Canucks for not trading for more draft picks, without sounding like a micro-manager?

I concede that my original post wasn't clear in terms of the bottom ten finish. Although. as stated earlier, a WJC can only be affected by the previous year's standings and draft position, and not any future draft.

I disagree that there isn't any correlation between draft position and number of players in the following WJC - this flies in the face of logic. I don't disagree with the factors that you have raised; however, which would go to the strength of the correlation. However, over time, one would expect these to even out.

And yes, it absolutely is reasonable to criticize a team that has been terrible for a long period of time for not acquiring more picks. It isn't hard for bad teams to acquire picks at the deadline. Good teams will always be looking for decent players on expiring contracts; it is the nature of the capped NHL system. When a bad "rebuilding" team can't acquire picks at the deadline its means that the manager is incompetent. The Leafs, in one rebuilding season, basically acquired more picks than Jim Benning has in his whole tenure here.

Reactions: vanuck

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I concede that my original post wasn't clear in terms of the bottom ten finish. Although. as stated earlier, a WJC can only be affected by the previous year's standings and draft position, and not any future draft.

I disagree that there isn't any correlation between draft position and number of players in the following WJC - this flies in the face of logic. I don't disagree with the factors that you have raised; however, which would go to the strength of the correlation. However, over time, one would expect these to even out.

And yes, it absolutely is reasonable to criticize a team that has been terrible for a long period of time for not acquiring more picks. It isn't hard for bad teams to acquire picks at the deadline. Good teams will always be looking for decent players on expiring contracts; it is the nature of the capped NHL system. When a bad "rebuilding" team can't acquire picks at the deadline its means that the manager is incompetent. The Leafs, in one rebuilding season, basically acquired more picks than Jim Benning has in his whole tenure here.
What season was that? Look when the Blackhawks went through their rebuild and they really only once traded for picks at the deadline. If their is a correlation between wjc and draft position give examples. I love when people post assumptions without backing it with up anything but their opinion.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
What season was that? Look when the Blackhawks went through their rebuild and they really once traded for picks at the deadline. If their is a correlation between wjc and draft position give examples. I love when people post assumptions without backing it with up anything but their opinion.

It’s backed up by the obvious logic. Higher pick = higher chance at a better player = higher chance at making the WJCs? The burden of proof should be on the person challenging an obviously logical position.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I concede that my original post wasn't clear in terms of the bottom ten finish. Although. as stated earlier, a WJC can only be affected by the previous year's standings and draft position, and not any future draft...

Respect to you for addressing your earlier post. Personally, the number of team selections is an interesting stat but not really that important to me. I expect to see the first and second round selections at the WJC, any more than that is a bonus. Simply look at how many players picked at 63 or higher, go on to NHL careers. So why excited if they are not selected for the WJC?

I want to see how my team's selections perform under pressure in a short tournament against their peer group.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
It’s backed up by the obvious logic. Higher pick = higher chance at a better player = higher chance at making the WJCs? The burden of proof should be on the person challenging an obviously logical position.

Your theory is interesting but has some flaws with reality. I want to see some correlation, but I can't.

Final standingsTeam2018 WJCTeam2019 WJCTeam2020 WJC
31COL2BUF4OTT
30VAN4OTT1LA
29ARI1ARI3NJ
28NJ7MTL7DET
27BUF5DET4BUF
26DET3VAN4NYR
25DAL6CHI7EDM
24FLA1NYR4ANA
23LA3EDM3VAN
22CAR3NYI4PHI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Weak. If it’s true and not just something you think should be true, prove it rather than running around in circles.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Thu Dec 5

OHL

Flint 5 Barrie 2
Keppen did not play
Silovs 13 saves on 16 shots (pulled at end of 1st period)

S_C

It's been an up and down season for Silovs so far ... but mainly down, especially lately. His Save % is now .895 (still a bit better than the other guy, Greaves, so he'll probably continue to get a shot).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i think the highest chance would come for a team that tended to draft from smaller hockey countries in later rounds. if you draft a slovak player in any round and he does not make the wjc that is kind of disappointing .

it's a fairly random stat really. the fact jasek played in 3 wjc tournaments does not tell you much about canuck drafting.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
It's been an up and down season for Silovs so far ... but mainly down, especially lately. His Save % is now .895 (still a bit better than the other guy, Greaves, so he'll probably continue to get a shot).

bit strange that he has a contract

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Claiming that this team will finish bottom 10 while they are sitting in a playoff spot

upload_2019-12-6_11-52-13.gif

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I don't think that's as obvious as you're making it out to be. For one, a high pick might well be in the nhl and not participating. For another, nationality plays a huge factor as its easier to make some teams than others.

I would guess the correlation is actually not that strong.

Reactions: shottasasa and m9

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't think that's as obvious as you're making it out to be. For one, a high pick might well be in the nhl and not participating. For another, nationality plays a huge factor as its easier to make some teams than others.

I would guess the correlation is actually not that strong.

We should just draft the entire Latvian WJC team and boast that we have 18 World Junior players.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
3 pts behind Vegas with 2 games in hand

Meh, Pacific is weak, the Oilers just got passed by Arizona

not sure pacific is that weak. it will be very tight all season unless they can get back into third and stay there and that requires us to be better than a bunch of good teams from here onward.

you look at calgary, vegas, and san jose and you pretty much have to assume one of those three teams will play to potential and out point us, so i think we also need to hope the oilers fall right off the pace or else it is going to be a wild card situation.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Rathbone had a beautiful assist in the game I am watching.

it's the nicest play I have ever seen him make.
Harvard getting destroyed otherwise in the game. Not going to watch the 3rd period.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad