2019 Ottawa Senators Rookie Tournament

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
While I think we needlessly stacked this rookie lineup with guys who are basically NHLers, I guess it's good PR for our youth oriented marketing if our "kids" crush everybody else.

Granted, I don't remember previous lineups. So maybe this lineup is still within the spirit of the tournament.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
While I think we needlessly stacked this rookie lineup with guys who are basically NHLers, I guess it's good PR for our youth oriented marketing if our "kids" crush everybody else.

Granted, I don't remember previous lineups. So maybe this lineup is still within the spirit of the tournament.

I disagree these guys are all well within the published guidelines.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

I don’t think we stacked our team in comparison to previous years. The difference is we just gone through the process of exchanging all of NHL’ers for picks and prospects, all roughly the same age.

We weren’t even able to bring 3/4 of our best D.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Mark Kastelic looked decent out there. He needs to earn his ELC in order to play in the AHL this season. Given that he was an overager when we drafted him and how he looked here I think he is AHL ready. He could still go back to the WHL but he looks good enough to play in the AHL so far.

Aside from that all of Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, Gruden, Abramov, Veronneau, Kelly, Kastelic, Brannstrom and Guennette either looked good or had moments of looking good this game. The whole team played a very structured game which will help them transition to being professionals. They also were all committed to playing a physical game including all three of Brown, Batherson and Formenton. Formenton looks like he could become somewhat of an agitator at the NHL level. He plays a very aggressive style and plays right on the edge with his physical play.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We should win every game I would think, but the team we just played was by far the weakest in the league.

They only had 7 NHL drafted players playing last night (Sens had 12), had 7 18/19 year olds (Sens had 2), and the only players of note were Heinola and Vesalinen.

Sens will run train on other teams if they are playing a few of the top AHLers (they are young in Brannstrom/Brown/Batherson, it's not as though we are stacking the team with 23/24 year olds) in each game.

Reactions: swiftwin

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It did not work at first then was fine for me for 2nd and 3rd periods.

The camera work was okay... but I miss the HD close views.

Great game after they got a little more confident. Let’s see if they can do it against MTL

The camera work was abysmal such as Closeups didn’t follow the puck and play. We missed the Formenton breakaway goal for example. Between periods coverage was TSN radio over the between period on-ice entertainment. The stream stopped about 6 times during the game requiring restarts.

But I am grateful it was offered, worts and all. :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mark Kastelic looked decent out there. He needs to earn his ELC in order to play in the AHL this season. Given that he was an overager when we drafted him and how he looked here I think he is AHL ready. He could still go back to the WHL but he looks good enough to play in the AHL so far.

Aside from that all of Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, Gruden, Abramov, Veronneau, Kelly, Kastelic, Brannstrom and Guennette either looked good or had moments of looking good this game. The whole team played a very structured game which will help them transition to being professionals. They also were all committed to playing a physical game including all three of Brown, Batherson and Formenton. Formenton looks like he could become somewhat of an agitator at the NHL level. He plays a very aggressive style and plays right on the edge with his physical play.
Yeah kastelic looks good. Looked good at rookie camp too

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Parker Kelly could be that super pest in the making. Should be fun to watch. Let's hope he has some upside left in him.

My dad's friend has a son who played with him in PA for a season. said Kelly is a great locker room kid & reiterated how hard a worker he is. I can't help but root for him to make it at this point. Fan favourite in the making

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
We should win every game I would think, but the team we just played was by far the weakest in the league.

They only had 7 NHL drafted players playing last night (Sens had 12), had 7 18/19 year olds (Sens had 2), and the only players of note were Heinola and Vesalinen.

Sens will run train on other teams if they are playing a few of the top AHLers (they are young in Brannstrom/Brown/Batherson, it's not as though we are stacking the team with 23/24 year olds) in each game.

It might not just be a talent thing. Troy Mann had an interview the other day and he mentioned how he was going to do a lot of video analysis with the players and seemed to suggest they were doing video sessions every day this week. He said it was their responsibility to keep up and absorb all of it. In this game they played a very structured team game. Players were in position and they had a lot of support from their teammates. My big takeaway is that it us a positive sign that so many Sens prospects are committed to being professionals and that their ability to play in such a structures way is a good indication that many are very close or on their way to be NHL players. For the Jets I think a number of their prospects got a wake up call. That they either individually or collectively have tendencies that wont work at higher levels. Maybe their prospect group isn't as strong but it does seem clear that this particular group is far from being NHL players. It also goes to show how effective a structured team game can be against a team that is lacking in structure.

The Sens still have very good prospects I just think people might overlook the importance of the structured play and how that impacts performance.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Is there a box score for yesterday's game somewhere? Unfortunately I couldnt attend last night’s game but will be at the remains games. Interested to see the stats from last night.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The camera work was abysmal such as Closeups didn’t follow the puck and play. We missed the Formenton breakaway goal for example. Between periods coverage was TSN radio over the between period on-ice entertainment. The stream stopped about 6 times during the game requiring restarts.

But I am grateful it was offered, worts and all. :)

i am not sure how TV works but it may be contractual for the season only. I figure that they had to get some non-regulars in there.... for cheap

Reactions: Cosmix

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Logan Brown led the effort with two goals and an assist, while Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, Erik Brannstrom, Alex Formenton, Parker Kelly and Jean-Christoph Beaudin were also able to beat Winnipeg goalie Adam Carlson. Only James Phelan replied for the Jets. Maxence Gunuette had three assists in the win while Abramov and Mark Kasetlic chipped in two points each.

SNAPSHOTS: Senators rookies make an immediate statement with 8-1 win over Jets

Letters land on players who are expected to lead the way for Senators in rookie tourney

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As expected the line of Formenton, Brown & Batherson dominated the younger & looked like inexperienced Jet players. But I also thought that 2nd line of Gruden, Norris & Davidson looked like a very good line in the making too. I hope Gruden has a really good yr in London & looks like he could be a very good addition for the future at LW. Norris also looked like a 1st rd pick, he has the skills, the patience & the playmaking ability you want in a centre to make those around him better & could be a top six centre or LW in the NHL.

Others that I thought had a really good night were Parker Kelly, Kastelic, Veronneau, Abramov, Brannstrom, Beaudin & how about the young guy Guennette RD with 3 quiet assists. We also got to see the skill of Davidsson a little bit, but IMO he needs to add some muscle to be more effective. Kelly & Kastelic on a 4th line are going to drive opposition players crazy & create a lot of chances for themselves, Veronneau might work well with these two. Just one lopsided game, but it does give us some hope for the future of this team & wasn't it nice to see a team play within a very good structure, unlike what we saw last yr in Ottawa. .

Last edited:

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006

To be clear, the criteria for the rookie tournament qualification is for any players that have less than 2 full pro seasons under their belt, all the teams adhere to this. This is why Chlapik, Balcers, Paul and Lajoie for example are not in the Sens lineup. The Sens aren't "stacking" their team, this is all the players that have less than 2 years pro experience. The Jets and Habs have all the same group of guys in their lineups, it just happens that the Sens have a lot more talent in that group at this particular time.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i see a lot of similarities between brown and stone.

annoying how good a mentor he would have been for brown.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To be clear, the criteria for the rookie tournament qualification is for any players that have less than 2 full pro seasons under their belt, all the teams adhere to this. This is why Chlapik, Balcers, Paul and Lajoie for example are not in the Sens lineup. The Sens aren't "stacking" their team, this is all the players that have less than 2 years pro experience. The Jets and Habs have all the same group of guys in their lineups, it just happens that the Sens have a lot more talent in that group at this particular time.
Beaudin has the same experince as all of the above, 120 pro games over the past 2 seasons plus 22 pro playoff games.

He split a year between ECHL and AHL, guess that made a difference

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
Beaudin has the same experince as all of the above, 120 pro games over the past 2 seasons plus 22 pro playoff games.

He split a year between ECHL and AHL, guess that made a difference

Yeah, not sure why he's there, maybe they don't consider ECHL (where he played half his 17/18 season pro games) as "pro" in the same way AHL/NHL is. Or maybe he gets a pass because he's more of a marginal prospect who is newer to the organization, you'd have to ask the org.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I came to ask if there's an alternative to tsn stream as it doesn't sound worth the money to pay for, but the sens lineup isn't reaching to be fair by any means. Brannstrom only has 3 years of pro while being only 20 (?).

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
i see a lot of similarities between brown and stone.

annoying how good a mentor he would have been for brown.

Really? I dont see it to be honest. Brown moves around the ice much better and more fluidly than Stone.

I'll give you that Brown has an active stick and seems to be engaged defensively like Stone always was, and they both make the players around them better. But they go about it very differently imo.

Beyond the obvious differences (playing different positions), I dont see many similarities between these two in terms of style. Brown is a high IQ offensive playmaker (with a great but underused shot), and Stone is more of a two way goal scorer (and also a good playmaker).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad