2019 OPPF Divisional Final series: San Jose Rubber Puckies vs. Pittsburgh Professionals

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And Sid's 7 year score is artificially lower because of major prime games missed due to deliberate attempt to injure and a freak shot to the face. If Steckel doesnt' run him there's Art Ross #3. If Orpik doesn't drive a slap shot 10 feet wide of the net there's Art Ross #4. Both my massive margins I might add. What is his 7 year score then?

Context.

I don't see how you get to the point that places Morenz as a top 10 player all time unless you value what was written about him more than what he actually did on the ice as a player. And for the record I don't think Sid is quite yet in the top 10 either. Just so people don't get the idea I'm a homer or incapable of being objective.

I'm waiting for someone to challenge the notion that the hyperbolic writing style of the time period isn't over the top and does not reflect the numbers he actually put up. If he was as dominant as people claim (Ruthian), it would be reflected in numbers and awards. Not to mention, I love when people throw out the line "best player in the world" especially when we're talking about pre consolidation or even the 1930's. As if people just gloss over the fact that no other nation even had a developed, high end hockey league. It was North America. Being the best player in the (small) world doesn't mean what it means today or meant in 1970.

I have him on the same level as Nighbor. Nighbor is arguably the greatest defensive F to ever lace up skates, and while he gives up offensive value to Morenz, I think the defensive impact and gap there outweighs the offensive gap. And that's reflected by Nighbors dominance as a postseason player while having an underrated and strong regular season resume as well. And it's not like Morenz didn't play on fantastic Montreal teams for the bulk of his career, with multiple HOF teammates.

I have them both right around 20, give or take a spot.

Pens fans are still trying to say it was deliberate :facepalm:

Steckel did not do it on purpose.... move on already, its been 8 years.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad