2019 OPPF Divisional Final series: San Jose Rubber Puckies vs. Pittsburgh Professionals

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Not driving by trying to reengage this part of my brain, but is 10 years remotely fair to use to bolster your case for a player that played in the 20s-30s when compared to someone modern?

Also I have some issues with

2 Olympic Gold medals in 2 tries (2010/2014)
-Scored Golden goal in OT of gold medal game 2010
1 World Championship Gold (2015)
1 World Cup of Hockey Gold (2016)
-MVP and leading scorer
1 World Junior Gold (2005)

-Also named Best Forward at World Championship in 2006

-Youngest Player in history to win a World Championship scoring title (2006)

-Member of Quadruple Gold Club (Gold medeal at World Junior, WC', Olympics, and WCOH)

-Only player in hockey history to captain every team of the quad/triple gold clubs.

-Orr, Gretzky and Crosby are the three players in history to win the Hart Trophy, the Conn Smythe Trophy, and MVP at the Canada Cup or World Cup of Hockey.

-He is the 6th player in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup three times with two Olympic gold medals. Crosby joins Igor Larionov, Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer, Duncan Keith, and Jonathan Toews as the players who make up that prestigious fraternity

These are all cool little tibits but aren't exactly fair to Morenz this is a lot of noise, I'm someone who voted Crosby ahead of Morenz.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Not driving by trying to reengage this part of my brain, but is 10 years remotely fair to use to bolster your case for a player that played in the 20s-30s when compared to someone modern?

These are all cool little tibits but aren't exactly fair to Morenz this is a lot of noise, I'm someone who voted Crosby ahead of Morenz.

I know you rank Sid over Morenz. You're one of the people who can separate personal feelings from actual results. I mean I think most can, but there are enough who can't/don't and it's why you see these types of finishes.

What time frame would you suggest we use?

If we're going to reduce it to 3 or 5 years then we're damn sure going to give Crosby some extra points for losing 2 of his most dominant seasons to things outside his control. That is honestly the only reason the points comparison isn't an easy win for 87 IMHO. Say Crosby had scored 55 and 120 (he was on pace for much more) in 2011? Say he doesn't take a slap shot to the face in 2013 and wins the Ross by 20? Does that not drastically drive up his short term peak scoring?

7 years is a perfectly fine time frame to judge them on and Sid is still side by side with Morenz. There is just more consistency with Sid then Morenz. No matter how you look at it.

And that doesn't begin to explain the gap in Hart/AS voting (which I absolutely gave Morenz an extra 2 nods based on Hart voting and performance).

As for the international stage? Yes, it's not fair if you're going to use Crosby's bullet points there against Morenz (but it's also not fair to exclude things Sid actually accomplished in an all time sense). To be honest, throw it out. He doesn't need it to look like a more dominant playoff player, by a pretty wide margin.

I just don't see a single definable way you get Morenz over Sid at this point.

I have long been saying Morenz needs to be down near 20. He gets FAR too much credit because the Montreal media pushed a Ruthian like narrative on him and his numbers do not reflect that. At all. He's still an all time great. But I personally would take Crosby over him and not think twice.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Going back to the top 100 project, as a sidebar.

-My top 3 are Orr, Howe, Gretzky. I really disliked seeing Orr down in 3rd.

-I loved seeing Roy get his due. If there is one guy I'd argue over Gretzky as a playoff stud, it's him.

-Morenz over Sid (even just by 1 spot) isn't ludicrous but it's wrong (as I pointed out on post 75).

-I think Shore falling into the 14th spot was apt. It's where he should be after you account for era/peer competition and playoff shortcomings.

-I'd move both Ovechkin and Fetisov up into the top 20. The greatest Russians of all time need more recognition (Firsov and others further down the list should have been a bit higher). I don't want to be known as someone who is on the wrong side of acknowledging their brilliance. I've come around in recent years because of great contributions by @Theokritos @Batis and others I'm forgetting off the top of my head. Especially in relation to the pre NHL guys.

-Really like seeing Brodeur up to 30th. I'd even have him a bit higher personally. He and Glenn Hall are extremely similar but I think Marty edges based on postseason play. @overpass and @Hockey Outsider @tarheelhockey all presented tremendous data that showed Brodeur in an even better light based on advanced statistics.

-Paul Coffey should fall out of the top 50. I don't know if I've ever seen a player play for such dominant teams throughout 90% of their career and never actually be the best player on their team. That and he was a lousy defender, which is something I've really put an emphasis on in recent years.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Dreak didn't do anything but fluff Shore and Boston's nosedive as a playoff performers. Literally, words like "very likely" = I have no clue. Shore was a hothead, borderline lunatic who had a reputation for being extremely dirty. But I'm probably lying right?

That isn't just he playoffs, that's his career rep. I don't need to argue any further on that account because it's about as factual as you can get. How and why he took all those penalties is largely irrelevant. He cost his team by not being on the ice. It could have been guys targeted him just as much as it could have been he was a ****ing ******* who played the game extremely dirty.

I think it’s pretty widely understood that teams thought the best way to beat Shore’s Boston Bruins was to try to get Shore off the ice. So, I assume you are not disputing that point.

Maybe you are just disputing that as an explanation as to why his penalty minutes went significantly up in a couple series?

I said “very likely” because I didn’t physically go through the game reports. You can call it “not having a clue”, but I’ll call it syllogistic reasoning. Logically, it makes a lot of sense - so much sense, in fact, that I think somebody would have to go through the games and prove it didn’t happen to cause me any doubt.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think it’s pretty widely understood that teams thought the best way to beat Shore’s Boston Bruins was to try to get Shore off the ice. So, I assume you are not disputing that point.

Maybe you are just disputing that as an explanation as to why his penalty minutes went significantly up in a couple series?

I said “very likely” because I didn’t physically go through the game reports. You can call it “not having a clue”, but I’ll call it syllogistic reasoning. Logically, it makes a lot of sense - so much sense, in fact, that I think somebody would have to go through the games and prove it didn’t happen to cause me any doubt.

Hey, fair enough sir. Like I said, I don't think Blake coached that way by anything I ever read but if you want to trade players, penalty for penalty, he'd gladly send the meathead Tkacjuk at Shore. That's a swap any coach would take, in any game or situation.

Because what is going to likely happen is Tkachuk will sit for 2 and Shore will go off for 4 (or more).

I'd even trade Ching Johnson for Shore in a heartbeat. Schoenfeld was a rough customer. Good option being a #6 D.

I could literally send off anyone from Horton on down through 6 and look better for it, if we're going to play tit for tat.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hey, fair enough sir. Like I said, I don't think Blake coached that way by anything I ever read but if you want to trade players, penalty for penalty, he'd gladly send the meathead Tkacjuk at Shore. That's a swap any coach would take, in any game or situation.

Because what is going to likely happen is Tkachuk will sit for 2 and Shore will go off for 4 (or more).

I'd even trade Ching Johnson for Shore in a heartbeat. Schoenfeld was a rough customer. Good option being a #6 D.

I could literally send off anyone from Horton on down through 6 and look better for it, if we're going to play tit for tat.

I think you are really trying to over-simplify this. You don’t just send a guy at Shore and he immediately takes a stupid penalty. Then, when he gets out of the box, you just do it again.

I’m not saying you can’t goad Shore into penalties - you clearly can. It’s just not something done as easily as you seem to think. Since you don’t have anyone on your who could naturally do this, it’s going to take a team effort and a game plan.

This as a game plan is going to take a significant amount of time and attention to execute. Your coach is going to have to alter his game plan to really make a target out of Shore. Your players are going to have to focus on Shore to an extent where they omit other aspects of the game.

In the 1930, Shore was good enough that this game plan was well worth it. On the ice, he was nearly unstoppable... so the best way to win was to take him off the ice.

Is he so good, in the context of this series, that you want to sacrifice large portions of your normal game to dedicate the time and focus necessary for this plan to work?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think you are really trying to over-simplify this. You don’t just send a guy at Shore and he immediately takes a stupid penalty. Then, when he gets out of the box, you just do it again.

I’m not saying you can’t goad Shore into penalties - you clearly can. It’s just not something done as easily as you seem to think. Since you don’t have anyone on your who could naturally do this, it’s going to take a team effort and a game plan.

This as a game plan is going to take a significant amount of time and attention to execute. Your coach is going to have to alter his game plan to really make a target out of Shore. Your players are going to have to focus on Shore to an extent where they omit other aspects of the game.

In the 1930, Shore was good enough that this game plan was well worth it. On the ice, he was nearly unstoppable... so the best way to win was to take him off the ice.

Is he so good, in the context of this series, that you want to sacrifice large portions of your normal game to dedicate the time and focus necessary for this plan to work?

The first bolded part:

-And I think you're trying to, conversely, make a mountain out of a mole hill in terms of getting Shore to do stupid crap. We don't know exactly why or how he took so many penalties, especially in the playoffs (i posted this breakdown earlier in the thread). What we do know for certain is he was prone to not being on the ice for large amounts of time, both regular and postseason. It doesn't get addressed enough when it comes to his all time standing.

And why? Because you still have people who think being a big bad ass, even if it's stupidly so, is a net positive. If that were the case, the Bruins would have had a lot more success. They didn't. He is one of the dirtiest, most penalized players, per game in the league's history. Certainly so among all time greats. And it cost Boston time and time again.

2nd bolded part:

-Saying I don't have a single player who was a physical beast in their time period is, well, outlandish. It's no different than BB, who hasn't been around in 2 weeks, finding 1/2 things that I got carried away with or glossed over from our series, which I readily admit, and then at the same time manufacturing crap I never said (like Fetisov being nearly as good as Harvey).

This is precisely why I call people out for wading into series that they aren't a part of, especially when the poster(s) are universally liking and siding with one GM. This happens often here, and generally speaking, with a select few people.

I don't think you're "targeting" me per say but what is happening is deflection away from the simple reality and that is Shore is a very dirty player who is, by historical evidence, going to spend time in the box. More than my guys, certainly my impact players. And him being in the box hurts San Jose for obvious reasons. Who in my top 6 is going to be there as much? Is my #1 D going to be getting game misconducts? Horton? That's a likely no, and hell no.

Last bolded:

No. He's not worth the trouble. Why? One, because I have comparable #1 D (who's at worst 10 spots below Shore all time and that's a stretch), who I think is going to have a better series, because, quite frankly, he is miles better as a big game player. That really isn't an opinion, that's just reality based on pretty much every single opinion ever levied by anyone worth a darn around the HoH/ATD section.

BUT, if Toe Blake, again, who outclasses Ivan by a pretty big margin, wants to go that route, Tkachuk fits the bill perfectly. A true heavyweight, playing on a 4th line, who had a reputation for taking on anyone, anywhere, any time. He was a beast on the boards and in the slot, net front, etc. Post whistle scrum? Schoenfeld can bang and a #6 Dman is certainly worth losing if it means Shore goes off there or down the line.

As dumb as Shore was in this regard it could be simple speed and/pr fore checking up and down the 4 lines, which my team can certainly accomplish (Syd Howe, Forsberg, Madden, Alfredsson, Bourne, Tkachuk).

Either way, gooning it up and worrying about having a bunch of guys who can punch and act like neanderthals has never been my cup of tea as a GM. I'd much rather build a team with skill and discipline. And if I am going to target those types, they're going to be in roles like a 4th line LW or #6 Dman.

And, as I pointed out, I like my F group better. Because, in large part it fits what Blake did in real life, extremely well, is extremely versatile and poses many different looks, both game to game but shift to shift. I'm not shoehorned into running with stagnant lines where guys can only move up and down within their position (LW to LW, C to C). Not only that but I have 4 lines who can legitimately score, relative to their roles. Its wave attacks. How many 3rd lines have guys who are on the plus side of 80 in the Vsx? Same thing with the 4th line (actually Tkhacuk is a 79 but that's still fantastic).

Every line has at least one plus defensive player, the 3rd line you can say that across the board with Madden, Bentley, and Alfredsson. And the 4th line has Bourne with only Tkachuk being below average.

I think there should be no doubt that Richard, Crosby, Forsberg, Hull, Howe, Bourne is a better group of playoff F's than Howe, Kane, Kopitar, Anderson, and say Morenz/Taylor?

Richard>Howe,
Crosby>Kane,
Forsberg>>Kopitar,
Hull>Anderson.

I mean take away 1924 (which was pre consolidation btw) and where did Morenz play like a legend in the postseason? The back to back Cup years he had 1 point in 7 games. One damn point.

Shit, does Morenz even have a run outside of 1924 that is better than 1983 Bob Bourne?

Bourne had 28 points in 20 games, which led the Islanders, again on a team that featured Potvin, Trottier, and Bossy. In 20 games he was a +19 which was 2nd on the team (Potvin was a +20). 7 of his 8 goals came at even strength and the 8th was short handed. I'm guessing the majority of his 20 assists did as well given he wasn't a PP regular (more of a 2nd unit guy). And they swept the Oilers with Bourne having a pair of game winners in that series.

And then of course, as far as playoffs go among D, you have:

Fetisov>>>Shore.
Horton=Gerard.
MacInnis>>Salming.

I'll absolutely give you Vasiliev over Ching but it's not like Ching wasn't on multiple Cup winners and seemingly was a stalwart those years.

The only advantage he has is in net, and it's not like Brimsek wasn't good to fantastic more than he wasn't for Boston while losing 2 prime years to WWII. That's as evidenced by TDMM, you, and a few others who did bio's on Mr. Zero.

There is a lot of deflection against this particular narrative (playoff edge), and I'm not surprised. It has nothing to do with me being outlandish or trying to falsify history.

The first pair in an overall sense tilts to Pittsburgh favor for 2 prime reasons. One, the gap between Horton and Gerard is bigger than Shore to Fetisov. And secondly, my top pair is, on the whole a more steady defensive duo. Shore played stronger defense as his career progressed but he is not as good defensively as Fetisov, on the whole, IMO. Horton is an elite as was Gerard, but then again, Horton is the superior player.

MacInnis is the best player on either 2nd pairing but each team washes out because I think Vasi is a notch better than Ching Johnson overall.

His 3rd pair is superior but again, being superior there is less of a factor then being inferior on the top pairing. And again, I have to hammer this point, Shore is a liability in big games. He's the 2nd best San Jose player. Fetisov, my 3rd best player (behind Rocket and Sid) is not a liabilty. Literally the complete opposite.

So maybe Brodeur over Brimsek is enough to counter what I believe to be a solid edge behind the bench and slight advantages both at F/D for Pittsburgh.

I'm happy to have gotten this far. If i move on, great. If not, oh well, I lost to a great GM, a great roster and I must say a pretty damn good original team name. :D

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
-And I think you're trying to, conversely, make a mountain out of a mole hill in terms of getting Shore to do stupid crap. We don't know exactly why or how he took so many penalties, especially in the playoffs (i posted this breakdown earlier in the thread). What we do know for certain is he was prone to not being on the ice for large amounts of time, both regular and postseason. It doesn't get addressed enough when it comes to his all time standing.

As I said, I believe that at least a not insignificant percentage of Shore's penalty minutes were the result of him being deliberately targeted. That doesn't mean I don't think he will take any penalties.

And why? Because you still have people who think being a big bad ass, even if it's stupidly so, is a net positive. If that were the case, the Bruins would have had a lot more success. They didn't. He is one of the dirtiest, most penalized players, per game in the league's history. Certainly so among all time greats. And it cost Boston time and time again.

Being a dominant physical player is absolutely a plus. Taking a lot of penalties is a minus. What's the net result, it would depend on how much of each element the player brings.

-Saying I don't have a single player who was a physical beast in their time period is, well, outlandish. It's no different than BB, who hasn't been around in 2 weeks, finding 1/2 things that I got carried away with or glossed over from our series, which I readily admit, and then at the same time manufacturing crap I never said (like Fetisov being nearly as good as Harvey).

I didn't say you didn't have physical players. I said you don't have players who are particularly adept at goading opponents into bad penalties. I think that's fair.

This is precisely why I call people out for wading into series that they aren't a part of, especially when the poster(s) are universally liking and siding with one GM. This happens often here, and generally speaking, with a select few people.

I didn't just wander in here. I got a notification that I was quoted, so I clicked it. Then I read the post in which you mentioned me, so I responded.

I don't think you're "targeting" me per say but what is happening is deflection away from the simple reality and that is Shore is a very dirty player who is, by historical evidence, going to spend time in the box. More than my guys, certainly my impact players. And him being in the box hurts San Jose for obvious reasons. Who in my top 6 is going to be there as much? Is my #1 D going to be getting game misconducts? Horton? That's a likely no, and hell no.

You mentioned a game plan. I was pointing out the flaws I see in that plan.

BUT, if Toe Blake, again, who outclasses Ivan by a pretty big margin, wants to go that route, Tkachuk fits the bill perfectly. A true heavyweight, playing on a 4th line, who had a reputation for taking on anyone, anywhere, any time. He was a beast on the boards and in the slot, net front, etc. Post whistle scrum? Schoenfeld can bang and a #6 Dman is certainly worth losing if it means Shore goes off there or down the line.

See, this is where I don't agree. I don't see Shore jumping into a fight just because a tough guy is standing on the ice. If you want him to go crazy, I think you have to goad him into it. If you want to do that without seriously altering your teams whole gameplan, I think you need a elite "pest".

Richard>Howe

I sure hope you Sid Howe or Mark Howe, and not 6x play-off scoring leader Gordie Howe.

Fetisov>>>Shore

I myself find it very hard to gauge exactly how good or bad Shore was in the play-offs. Obviously, his team was often a disappointment, but he's also got pretty impressive scoring results (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd among defensemen if I remember right).

Fetisov is a guy who didn't play an play-off game until he was past his prime. He too is tricky to really evaluate. For non-NHL players, I tend to use high leverage international games as substitutes, and in those games, Fetisov was very good.

With Fetisov being good and Shore being something of a mixed bag, I do think it's fair to say that Fetisov is > solely as a play-off performer. The >>> is a bit much.

Even in the play-offs, where Fetisov closes the gap, Shore is definitely the better player in my mind.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
As I said, I believe that at least a not insignificant percentage of Shore's penalty minutes were the result of him being deliberately targeted. That doesn't mean I don't think he will take any penalties.

Being a dominant physical player is absolutely a plus. Taking a lot of penalties is a minus. What's the net result, it would depend on how much of each element the player brings.

I didn't say you didn't have physical players. I said you don't have players who are particularly adept at goading opponents into bad penalties. I think that's fair.

I didn't just wander in here. I got a notification that I was quoted, so I clicked it. Then I read the post in which you mentioned me, so I responded.

You mentioned a game plan. I was pointing out the flaws I see in that plan.

See, this is where I don't agree. I don't see Shore jumping into a fight just because a tough guy is standing on the ice. If you want him to go crazy, I think you have to goad him into it. If you want to do that without seriously altering your teams whole gameplan, I think you need a elite "pest".

I sure hope you Sid Howe or Mark Howe, and not 6x play-off scoring leader Gordie Howe.

I myself find it very hard to gauge exactly how good or bad Shore was in the play-offs. Obviously, his team was often a disappointment, but he's also got pretty impressive scoring results (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd among defensemen if I remember right).

Fetisov is a guy who didn't play an play-off game until he was past his prime. He too is tricky to really evaluate. For non-NHL players, I tend to use high leverage international games as substitutes, and in those games, Fetisov was very good.

With Fetisov being good and Shore being something of a mixed bag, I do think it's fair to say that Fetisov is > solely as a play-off performer. The >>> is a bit much.

Even in the play-offs, where Fetisov closes the gap, Shore is definitely the better player in my mind.

1. Sure, being a physical player is definitely a plus. It's relatively small though. Why? Anyone with a decent amount of time can see that skill, talent, discipline, better coaching, etc generally rule the day. Unless you have a team that is full of wet paper bags up and down the lineup and pairings, it's absolutely a small factor.

BUT, if we're going that route is that seriously a weakness for either team? My top 4 is the arguably the hardest and most physically dominant D group in this thing. Fetisov was Potvin for reference sake for those who don't know much about USSR players. I think they're neck and neck all time and most people consider them a very apt comparison, physicality included which Potvin was elite.

Horton, was called by Gordie Howe as the strongest player in the league. Oh, Bobby Hull said that as well. He was a legend from a physical standpoint. One of the few guys who could could toe to toe with Howe in that regard. That's not me being outrageous for those keeping track. That's straight quotes from bio's readily available.

Ching Johnson was one of the heaviest players in the league during his day. Someone who could match Shore's physicality yet he didn't have near the rep that Shore did for being dirty. Again, these are straight pulls from the many bios done in the past.

Even MacInnis had a nasty streak in him. He was a big dude who was plenty physical. Not in the same tier as the guys above but he's still above average by my estimation. Shoenfeld was a very heavy player known for his incredible work in the slot and on the kill, keeping people away from the goal mouth. He was a heavyweight fighter as well. The only guy I would consider below the bar in a physical sense for Pittsburgh is Zubov and he still looks fantastic on a bottom pairing as a PP specialist and someone who has an above average record both in the regular and postseasons.

2. There is no flaw in staying out the box from my point of view as it relates to my team. I've never drafted a team with anything more than a fleeting focus on "killers" or goons. Pittsburgh can score at a high level across 4 lines. Blake can move people up and down, from W to C with relative ease, again, across 4 lines. I have premium offensive players, premium defensive players, relative to their roles. And a few people, if need be who were legit fighters and known for their ability to draw people into confrontation. And again, Shore has a long standing rep as a dirty player. One of the dirtiest of all time. At some point, regardless of why, he's going to end up in the box for 5-10 minutes. And obviously a few minutes here and there across the rest of the series. That's just plain reality based on real life history.

3. If you think Gordie Howe is a better playoff performer than Maurice Richard, that is certainly your opinion but you're absolutely in the minority. Richard is a legend. He was a force from 22 to age 36. 5 times he led the playoffs in goal scoring (7 times had the most even strength goals), twice in points. His points per game was neck and neck with Howe. He scored more game winning goals despite playing in far few games. The Habs had a lot more success than Detroit with their careers overlapping a great deal. Howe was a key figure on 3 Cup winning teams (the 4th he only played in 1 game) with Richard having 6 strong Cup winning runs where he was an integral part. I'm not and never have said the gap is big. I think it's fairly small but Richard is the best big game player in this series. I highly doubt you're going to find a bunch of people who think otherwise.

4. Fetisov wasn't merely "very good" in high leverage international games. He was arguably the greatest player of all time, like in ever, across any era, USSR/post USSR time period. There's a reason he was the overwhelming top vote getter on the IIHF WC Centennial team. His record for the USSR has been gone over by numerous respected European posters here. It's amazing, especially when you consider how he fared against Canada in the 80's. To me he's easily the 3rd best big game player in this series behind Richard and Howe.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

You're correct. 7 year VsX is the preferred standard for ANY comparison involving a pre-expansion player, as it is assumed that 7 years is a typical pre expansion prime.

10 year VsX should only be used when both players played post-expansion, when both careers and primes were longer. Using a 10 year standard for a guy who played in the 1920s and 1930s is bordering on abusing the statistic.

Stuminator explained this in more detail in the original VsX threads.

Fact is that the 7 year VsX between Crosby and Morenz is within the margin of error.

Personally, I had both Crosby and Morenz a bit higher than they appeared on the latest HOH top players list.

(Edit: yes there were occasional freaks from pre-expansion times with unusually long primes - Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Eddie Shore, etc - but it was actually pretty rare)

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And Sid's 7 year score is artificially lower because of major prime games missed due to deliberate attempt to injure and a freak shot to the face. If Steckel doesnt' run him there's Art Ross #3. If Orpik doesn't drive a slap shot 10 feet wide of the net there's Art Ross #4. Both my massive margins I might add. What is his 7 year score then?

Context.

I don't see how you get to the point that places Morenz as a top 10 player all time unless you value what was written about him more than what he actually did on the ice as a player. And for the record I don't think Sid is quite yet in the top 10 either. Just so people don't get the idea I'm a homer or incapable of being objective.

I'm waiting for someone to challenge the notion that the hyperbolic writing style of the time period isn't over the top and does not reflect the numbers he actually put up. If he was as dominant as people claim (Ruthian), it would be reflected in numbers and awards. Not to mention, I love when people throw out the line "best player in the world" especially when we're talking about pre consolidation or even the 1930's. As if people just gloss over the fact that no other nation even had a developed, high end hockey league. It was North America. Being the best player in the (small) world doesn't mean what it means today or meant in 1970.

I have him on the same level as Nighbor. Nighbor is arguably the greatest defensive F to ever lace up skates, and while he gives up offensive value to Morenz, I think the defensive impact and gap there outweighs the offensive gap. And that's reflected by Nighbors dominance as a postseason player while having an underrated and strong regular season resume as well. And it's not like Morenz didn't play on fantastic Montreal teams for the bulk of his career, with multiple HOF teammates.

I have them both right around 20, give or take a spot.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's funny because the "ignore his rep, look at his on-paper resume" anti-Morenz argument would tend to make Eddie Shore look very very good....

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It's funny because the "ignore his rep, look at his on-paper resume" anti-Morenz argument would tend to make Eddie Shore look very very good....

"Anti Morenz" - I see what you did there sir. :thumbu:

But anyone can see my voting record and see I had Morenz exactly where I've put him in this thread. Just FYI. Same with Shore btw. I've LONG argued Morenz has been ranked too highly, largely because of the gap between what was written about him and actual results on the ice.

With that being said, i always chuckle when people talk about players from that time period and use the "best player in the world" label as if it carries the same meaning as today or even 50 years ago.

And I agree with end of your statement in that Shore does look better when one strips down the era and checks between the lines.

Morenz had little competition at C (Frank Boucher and to a much lesser degree, Nels Stewart) for recognition during his prime. Morenz played for arguably the strongest team in the NHL between 1925 and 1930+. His career faded drastically post 30, whereas somebody like Shore actually had his best years on the wrong side of the three zero.

Now, to be fair in their mid to late 20's Morenz outpointed Shore head to head in Hart voting but I'm not convinced that Shore didn't lose some votes because he was a dirty SOB and rubbed a number of people the wrong way. If you look at his Hart voting, it peaks at about the time he starts to see a big reduction in PIM's.

Shore also faced stronger comp at D (Clancy, Seibert, Johnson, Conacher).

I'm more impressed with Shore by a full measure because his peak regular season record is stronger, IMHO, and he was a dominant player for longer than Morenz who really had 8-9 good to dominant seasons which falls short of Shore's longevity certainly.

I think Morenz is probably slightly better as a playoff performer but again, there really isn't much there. 1924/25. There's way to many instances of him getting shut down (namely the back to back Cup years when he did all his damage in the first round).

I'm genuinely curious as to how you think he should be ranked higher than where he was in the top 100 project.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm genuinely curious as to how you think he should be ranked higher than where he was in the top 100 project.

I think Morenz's regular season peak/prime was better than Crosby's or Beliveau's when you consider the outstanding two-way play he demonstrated even early in his career. Yes, Crosby and Beliveau were responsible defensively (Crosby getting even better recently), but the amount of praise for Morenz's two way game is surpassed only by the truly elite all-time defensive players of his era. So regular season only, I'd probably have Morenz over them.

On the HOH list, I'm pretty sure I voted the Big 4, then Roy, then Beliveau, then I had Morenz/Crosby as a coinflip. I think I had Morenz marginally higher then, would probably have Crosby marginally higher now, but the two are so just so close, IMO, they are basically tied.

Yes, that means I had Crosby and Morenz over Richard, Hull, and Harvey. In a close call, I picked the more rounded players. Am I sure that is correct? No, I am not. That's why in an earlier post, I said I had all of Crosby, Morenz, and Richard in the same range.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ok just checked my actual voting and I had Crosby/Morenz above Richard/Hull in Round 1 but below them in Round 2... Guess I split hairs in the opposite directions at different times....

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think Morenz's regular season peak/prime was better than Crosby's or Beliveau's when you consider the outstanding two-way play he demonstrated even early in his career. Yes, Crosby and Beliveau were responsible defensively (Crosby getting even better recently), but the amount of praise for Morenz's two way game is surpassed only by the truly elite all-time defensive players of his era. So regular season only, I'd probably have Morenz over them.

On the HOH list, I'm pretty sure I voted the Big 4, then Roy, then Beliveau, then I had Morenz/Crosby as a coinflip. I think I had Morenz marginally higher then, would probably have Crosby marginally higher now, but the two are so just so close, IMO, they are basically tied.

Yes, that means I had Crosby and Morenz over Richard, Hull, and Harvey. In a close call, I picked the more rounded players. Am I sure that is correct? No, I am not. That's why in an earlier post, I said I had all of Crosby, Morenz, and Richard in the same range.

I can certainly get behind the Morenz was a stronger 2 way player, earlier in his career than Sid/Jean but in the case of those 2 are their playoff records not well ahead of Morenz?

I mean if we give Morenz a slight advantage in the regular season (which only works if you value peak much more than longevity because Crosby absolutely has Morenz bested in depth of finishes when looking Hart, Ross's, AS voting, etc) is that slight advantage not overcome by the much stronger postseason accomplishments of Crosby and Beliveau?

Hull (like you) is another one I think should finally start moving off the 5 spot. Out of the top 10 is too much for me, but he gets dropped at 5 by a lot of people and I think it's a bit lazy.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think Morenz beats Crosby in defense and Crosby beats Morenz in the postseason in a manner that is close enough to make them near equals.

And no, I don't think Crosby has a longevity advantage just yet, once you factor in the average length of careers/primes when Morenz played.

When all is said and done, I do expect Crosby to be widely ranked higher than Morenz and to even compete with Beliveau, but I just don't think he's there yet.

Edit: In a meta-sense, I think Crosby and Morenz are more or less equals in terms of contemporaries considering each one the easy choice for "best player of his era" in a way that transcends their on-paper resumes.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think Morenz beats Crosby in defense and Crosby beats Morenz in the postseason in a manner that is close enough to make them near equals.

And no, I don't think Crosby has a longevity advantage just yet, once you factor in the average length of careers/primes when Morenz played.

When all is said and done, I do expect Crosby to be widely ranked higher than Morenz and to even compete with Beliveau, but I just don't think he's there yet.

Edit: In a meta-sense, I think Crosby and Morenz are more or less equals in terms of contemporaries considering each one the easy choice for "best player of his era" in a way that transcends their on-paper resumes.

I agree with most of this.

But I think one has to remember that the on paper resume for Crosby is GREATLY impacted by missing so much of his prime for reasons mostly outside his control. Does the last sentence even happen if he has another 2 Hart and Art Ross trophies? Especially considering the landslide both of those would have been in 2011 and 2013? I don't recall Morenz missing much time. He just simply doesn't have the types of finishes in numbers/awards that = his reputation written in the newspapers, IMHO. And again, I'm not calling him a bum. I just think he's closer to Nighbor (like 20th all time) than he is Crosby, which even still isn't some huge gap.

Going back to Sid, even in 2008, he had 72 points in 53 games. That's 111 point pace over 82 games. I still think Ovechkin is the clear Hart winner that year (65 goals for crying out loud) but 100+ points certainly improves his awards finishes. He'd have been a Hart finalist almost surely and had another top 3-4 scoring finish.

I won't include 2012 because he only played 22 games. Even when you factor what he did on either side of that season it's not fair to project out with only a quarter of the season played. I generally only project when you've got 40-50 games in hand. That's a large enough sample size for an elite player for me to get a solid idea of where they'd end up.

The fact that his resume is still worth of consideration for a top 10 spot all time, despite all the time missed, to me is quite staggering. He very likely would have another 2 Hart's (with another finalist finish), 2 Ross's if he wasn't targeted or on the awful side of luck when it came to injuries.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just FTR, I'll chime in in any series thread whenever I feel like it and it's not up to @ImporterExporter or anyone else that isn't a moderator to tell me what to do. Also, me taking breaks from hfboards is nobody's business. I can take a break and come back as I please. I'm administrating this draft and my responsabilities were taken cared of. Beyond that the time I decide to invest on this site is my business. If, for exemple, I have better things to do in my life than respondings to millions of questionable assertions and debating with a guy I feel is playing on the edge of dishonesty—then I do something more productive and fun.

Qui plus est, people have always intervened in other series. I thought IE was playing dishonestly in a way that annoyed me last round, so I went to support TDMM's assertions concerning this issue. As far as I know I didn't "take side" with any lineup.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This will be my last time involved in any of these drafts. I'm beyond sick of being labeled dishonest. I can put up with a lot but I'm getting too old to invest time when people want to start throwing around their version of racism when I argue strongly on my behalf.

Either way I'm done.

Cheers and thanks for having me the past half decade. I've learned more about hockey history than I could have ever imagined.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This will be my last time involved in any of these drafts. I'm beyond sick of being labeled dishonest. I can put up with a lot but I'm getting too old to invest time when people want to start throwing around their version of racism when I argue strongly on my behalf.

Either way I'm done.

Cheers and thanks for having me the past half decade. I've learned more about hockey history than I could have ever imagined.

Not the first time you've said this. Also you've been beating the drum that lower-ranked teams can't win for years—yet you've accomplished this yourself this time.

I think you were on the border of dishonesty yeah. But so what? It's all there in the open for everyone to see. Not the first time a GM tries to bring things in his favor. I only intervened to put pressure on you to stop doing it—and only did so when TDMM himself called you out on it. Being the instigator would have been wrong, but supporting your opponent on that specific point seemed like the correct move to me.

Version of racism? I mean what the ****? :lol: If what I did is a "version of racism", then what are you? A version of snowflake?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Not the first time you've said this. Also you've been beating the drum that lower-ranked teams can't win—yet you've accomplished this yourself this time.

I think you were on the border of dishonesty yeah. But so what? It's all there in the open for everyone to see. Not the first time a GM tries to bring things in his favor. I only intervened to put pressure on you to stop doing it.

Version of racism? I mean what the ****? :lol:

Said what? That I'm done? I don't recall ever making that an open statement. I've lamented people inserting themselves into series and speaking on the behalf for other capable GM's, who CLEARLY showed favoritism. Sturm did this often. ChiTown did it in this very draft. He literally openly campaigned for a few teams to get automatic byes. You don't think that weights on other GM's?

Doesn't make them bad guys, but it's up to the GM to make arguments on their behalf. Period. If you, or anyone else disagrees, fine.

I have opinions, like any other person here. Occasionally I've stretched things a bit to far yes, and I've admitted as much. Not everyone has that kind of honesty after the fact, in all actuality. If you look back through this thread, I was VERY complimentary of TDMM's team. I engaged him and generally most other people in a cordial manner. I'm not saying I'm perfect. I'm not saying I haven't gone to the edge and back a few times (like the Cup finals year my team lost, which again, I apologized for being a bit of an ass). But the vast, vast, majority of what I post is simply an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

What you and others have done over the years is make me out to be the bad guy and put damaging labels which can absolutely impact perception and voting.

It's not worth my time to put up with it. In the past few years I've completely removed myself from politics and anything associated with it because of how vile it has become. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm getting too old, have a growing son, and a more in depth and demanding job. I want to spend what little energy I have between all that on things that bring me joy, like writing music, playing guitar, traveling, or just doing nothing for a stretch.

As I said, I appreciate the chance to be involved in all these drafts and learn a shitload of really cool information. I wish you all nothing but the best.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What you and others have done over the years is make me out to be the bad guy and put damaging labels which can absolutely impact perception and voting.

I wish you all nothing but the best.

See the first paragraph is a flagrant exemple of dishonesty. There is just no way that I've painted you as a bad guy "over the years". This is just wrong—completely ! There is no substance to that accusation at all.

Accusations that have no substance are hard to deal with—especially if they come in high numbers—because where do you start to refute them? How am I to refute you on the accusation that I—BenchBrawl—have made you out to be the bad guy over the years? The burden of proof is on you, not on me. Yet, here I had to type a long paragraph to deal with that. Therein lies the dishonesty, my friend.

In any case I also wish you the best.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad