2019 OPPF Divisional Final series: San Jose Rubber Puckies vs. Pittsburgh Professionals

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have a question about early era "rushing" defensemen and how it translates into this project - simply because almost all of the great Dmen of the time were "rushing" defensemen because of the forward passing rules.

I've been using the term "rushing defenseman" for players of that era as an equivalent to "puck moving defenseman" today - basically it just meant that they could get the puck out of the zone effectively.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Coulter a puck rusher? What? I mean, he wasn't totally inept with the puck on his stick, but he was primarily a defense-first physical beast, good enough to be the only defenseman on the Ranger's innovative 3 forwards, 1 defenseman penalty kill that scored more goals than it gave up. Here's one bio: ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

The statement "Coulter can do everything better than Schoenfeld" definitely applies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
And here's a Howie Morenz bio: ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

Notice the references to his "aggressive play" "reckless play" "fiery approach" "tough" "loved violent exchanges" "bullish play" and several accounts of him going through, rather than around, players.

King Clancy: "Morenz skated right at me, going like hell, shot the puck, and knocked me on my ass. I told him if he tried it again, I would cut his head off. He laughed and said he planned to do it again. Know what? He did."

I really don't see a small, physically weaker player like Doug Bentley being able to contain Morenz. In the HOH Top Wingers project, Bentley's small size was brought up in reference to his defensive play. There are multiple accounts of Bentley being a strong backchecker, yet his team defensive results were universally terrible. The educated guess of an explanation involved the fact that backchecking is only part of what a forward can do to keep the other team off the scoreboard. The other is winning puck battles, and Bentley just didn't have the size to do that. The converse is someone like Jarome Iginla, who wasn't known as a backchecker, but who consistently had ridiculously good plus minuses compared to his team, likely because he was so good at puck battles.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Malone was more of a rugged, gritty goal scorer. He got a lot of goals with strong positioning, understanding where to go in the offensive zone.

Joe Malone's nickname was "Phantom Joe Malone" because he seemingly disappeared for long periods of time, only to reappear in good scoring position. Pretty much just like Brett Hull. Yes, Malone was apparently a decent (not great) backchecker, and a good skater, so he does have that on Hull. But gritty? Did something new get posted on Malone that I'm missing? We are talking about a player universally considered worse than Newsy Lalonde, despite fairly similar goal scoring stats, so it's not like it's possible Malone brought all that much without the puck.

Edit: And of course, you are using a career C at LW with Joe Malone, so we have to expect him to lose some effectiveness there, due to fewer puck touches. Lest anyone forget, Malone played LW in exactly 1 season of his career, the season he played with Newsy Lalonde (who was entrenched at C).

For a 3rd line, I prefer some one who is strong defensively but also possess the ability to make things happen going back the other way, because, traditionally scoring lines are weaker defensively and prone to giving up some chances.

Me too, which is why you won't see any John Maddens on my team in a 12 team draft, let alone apparently getting 25 minutes per game of ice time. :naughty:

Edit: John Madden is another career C, who dabbled in LW. I get what you are going for - he did match up against Jagr in the 2001 playoffs from LW. The thing with Madden is that the small amount of counterattack ability that he does have basically disappeared whenever he played LW. You also lose his faceoff ability. Basically, if you're using Madden at LW regularly, you might as well have drafted Jay Pandolfo.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I have a question about early era "rushing" defensemen and how it translates into this project - simply because almost all of the great Dmen of the time were "rushing" defensemen because of the forward passing rules.

I've been using the term "rushing defenseman" for players of that era as an equivalent to "puck moving defenseman" today - basically it just meant that they could get the puck out of the zone effectively.

Correct.

Guys carried it end to end much more back then. Obviously this pre dates the forward pass, hence why they had to carry it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Coulter a puck rusher? What? I mean, he wasn't totally inept with the puck on his stick, but he was primarily a defense-first physical beast, good enough to be the only defenseman on the Ranger's innovative 3 forwards, 1 defenseman penalty kill that scored more goals than it gave up. Here's one bio: ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

The statement "Coulter can do everything better than Schoenfeld" definitely applies.

I guess I should explain my bottom pairing a little better. Coulter is primarily a defensive beast, who wasn't totally inept with the puck on his stick. Wentworth is a speedy two-way guy, probably a bit better defensively than offensively, but capable of moving the puck.

Having Martin Brodeur in net allowed me to really go with a more defensive-oriented bottom pairing than I normally would have, as Brodeur is best served playing behind a tight defense. And Brodeur's puckhandling makes up for what my bottom pairing gives up in terms of puck moving, compared to a less defensive bottom pairing.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Correct.

Guys carried it end to end much more back then. Obviously this pre dates the forward pass, hence why they had to carry it.

Re: forward pass - in 1930, the forward pass was allowed in all 3 zones. By the end of the season, they added an offsides, where the puck couldn't be passed forward between zones. In 1944, they added the red line, and allowed the puck to be passed between zones, so long as it didn't cross 2 lines (the two-line pass that was removed in 2006).

Re: rushing, before 1930, to advance the puck at all, it had to be rushed. From 1930-1944, the puck could be passed forward, just not between the defensive and neutral or neutral and offensive zones - the result was that the top puck rushing defenseman (like Shore) was incredibly valuable in advancing the puck up the ice during this time frame. It has been speculated that the "forward passing allowed, but not over any lines" rule is a factor in why puck moving defensemen of this time period tended to clean up in Hart voting

Reactions: ImporterExporter

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Re: forward pass - in 1930, the forward pass was allowed in all 3 zones. By the end of the season, they added an offsides, where the puck couldn't be passed forward between zones. In 1944, they added the red line, and allowed the puck to be passed between zones, so long as it didn't cross 2 lines (the two-line pass that was removed in 2006).

Re: rushing, before 1930, to advance the puck at all, it had to be rushed. From 1930-1944, the puck could be passed forward, just not between the defensive and neutral or neutral and offensive zones - the result was that the top puck rushing defenseman (like Shore) was incredibly valuable in advancing the puck up the ice during this time frame. It has been speculated that the "forward passing allowed, but not over any lines" rule is a factor in why puck moving defensemen of this time period tended to clean up in Hart voting
So (and if this isn't the right place for this let me know and I'll put it somewhere else) - there are rushing Dmen in pretty much every generation. Orr - obviously a rushing Dman. EK is one today, and to a lesser extent a guy like Hedman.

But how would we compare a guy like Hod Stuart - known as a rusher, and Keith - known as a puck mover? Would we say "Stuart is more likely to get caught up the ice"? (Maybe Stuart isn't the best example since he would have likely been a rusher in any generation due to his skating - let's say Cleghorn instead). Just kind of wondering how to analyze these guys in this context, playing the modern game.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Joe Malone's nickname was "Phantom Joe Malone" because he seemingly disappeared for long periods of time, only to reappear in good scoring position. Pretty much just like Brett Hull. Yes, Malone was apparently a decent (not great) backchecker, and a good skater, so he does have that on Hull. But gritty? Did something new get posted on Malone that I'm missing? We are talking about a player universally considered worse than Newsy Lalonde, despite fairly similar goal scoring stats, so it's not like it's possible Malone brought all that much without the puck.

Edit: And of course, you are using a career C at LW with Joe Malone, so we have to expect him to lose some effectiveness there, due to fewer puck touches. Lest anyone forget, Malone played LW in exactly 1 season of his career, the season he played with Newsy Lalonde (who was entrenched at C).

Me too, which is why you won't see any John Maddens on my team in a 12 team draft, let alone apparently getting 25 minutes per game of ice time. :naughty:

Edit: John Madden is another career C, who dabbled in LW. I get what you are going for - he did match up against Jagr in the 2001 playoffs from LW. The thing with Madden is that the small amount of counterattack ability that he does have basically disappeared whenever he played LW. You also lose his faceoff ability. Basically, if you're using Madden at LW regularly, you might as well have drafted Jay Pandolfo.

Joe Malone is playing LW for a 7 game series. Not a full season here. His one full season at LW he had an all time great season, across any era. The best season of his career. 44 goals in 20 games. And Forsberg is his C, not exactly somebody who's that far below Lalonde in an all time sense. So he obviously didn't have a problem making things happen at LW in terms of scoring goals. It's also important to note in that season Lalonde missed 6 of the 20 game played while Malone missed 0.

Again, we're talking about a small sample size of games in relation to careers that often span 1000+ games. You specifically talked about, in past ATD's how Madden slid over to LW numerous times without any fluctuation in his defensive ability. He's a left handed shot playing on his strong side. Considering he's being asked to do what he does best and actually did it on the wing from time to, and is on his strong side, there shouldn't be cause for alarm IMO, especially against a right handed shot in Howe (meaning stick blade on stick blade).

Why do I lose Madden's face off ability? That's a myth.

For example, Claude Giroux played LW the past 2 seasons in Philly in real life, yet still took over a 1000 draws EACH year (and was over 58% = elite in today's game). Madden will absolutely be in dot. Just because he's playing LW while the game is going on doesn't mean he can't contribute taking faceoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Joe Malone is playing LW for a 7 game series. Not a full season here. His one full season at LW he had an all time great season, across any era. The best season of his career. 44 goals in 20 games. And Forsberg is his C, not exactly somebody who's that far below Lalonde in an all time sense. So he obviously didn't have a problem making things happen at LW in terms of scoring goals. It's also important to note in that season Lalonde missed 6 of the 20 game played while Malone missed 0.

Again, we're talking about a small sample size of games in relation to careers that often span 1000+ games. You specifically talked about, in past ATD's how Madden slid over to LW numerous times without any fluctuation in his defensive ability. He's a left handed shot playing on his strong side. Considering he's being asked to do what he does best and actually did it on the wing from time to, and is on his strong side, there shouldn't be cause for alarm IMO, especially against a right handed shot in Howe (meaning stick blade on stick blade).

Why do I lose Madden's face off ability? That's a myth.

For example, Claude Giroux played LW the past 2 seasons in Philly in real life, yet still took over a 1000 draws EACH year (and was over 58% = elite in today's game). Madden will absolutely be in dot. Just because he's playing LW while the game is going on doesn't mean he can't contribute taking faceoffs.

Madden played LW for one series in his prime - 2001 ECFs against Pittsburgh. Big series though, obviously. He played LW off and on as a younger or older player. My viewing of him at LW was that he was just as effective defensively, but lost any semblance of the counterattack ability that he had.

I believe I said in the past that i would have no problem with Madden being used at LW on the 4th line in a (30 or so) team ATD. 3rd line LW in a 12 team draft? I would personally never do that (I'd also never have him on a 3rd line at all in any all-time setting, but I realize others have different ideas).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So (and if this isn't the right place for this let me know and I'll put it somewhere else) - there are rushing Dmen in pretty much every generation. Orr - obviously a rushing Dman. EK is one today, and to a lesser extent a guy like Hedman.

But how would we compare a guy like Hod Stuart - known as a rusher, and Keith - known as a puck mover? Would we say "Stuart is more likely to get caught up the ice"? (Maybe Stuart isn't the best example since he would have likely been a rusher in any generation due to his skating - let's say Cleghorn instead). Just kind of wondering how to analyze these guys in this context, playing the modern game.

There's no perfect answer, but looking at a player's skillset can help. Like if the early era player scored a large number of assists compared to other players of his era, you would say he'd probably be a good puck mover in the modern game. Hod Stuart is really tough because IIRC, he was something of a big fish in a small pond in a lesser-known league when he played.

Re Cleghorn - we known he was praised at both ends of the ice, we know his teams were statistically better defensively with him on the ice than without, we know his offensive stats were as good as (but not better than) anyone else in his era. As for Cleghorn's rushing vs long passing - I'm not sure. Once in awhile, we do have praise of an early player's specific skills (like Harry Cameron's shot) which helps.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Madden played LW for one series in his prime - 2001 ECFs against Pittsburgh. Big series though, obviously. He played LW off and on as a younger or older player. My viewing of him at LW was that he was just as effective defensively, but lost any semblance of the counterattack ability that he had.

I believe I said in the past that i would have no problem with Madden being used at LW on the 4th line in a (30 or so) team ATD. 3rd line LW in a 12 team draft? I would personally never do that (I'd also never have him on a 3rd line at all in any all-time setting, but I realize others have different ideas).

I completely understand. The first 2 series Madden played on the 4th line for me. For one series, 4-7 games (hopefully this goes at 7), I think he'll be fine getting a bit more ice time than a 4th line role.

The thing is, bottom 6 players are never going to play enough to cover up the stars on the opposing teams scoring line. If Crosby plays 21 minutes give or take, is Kopitar going to match that? Is Ramsay playing 21-22 minutes against Richard? I think we all know the answer to those questions is no.

It obviously takes a team effort.

What I really like about Pittsburgh is we have players who can legitimately move all over the place as Blake sees fit/needs. We're not shoehorned into basic concepts. Madden will play the most against Howe, but Syd Howe can get some shifts in there. Bentley's speed can keep Howe trying to match and expend energy. Same with Bourne who had rocket skates. It'll take a team effort, as it always does in this sport.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
San Jose's line usages -

First line will see big minutes in all situations. I'm fine going power-on-power 1st line against 1st line because mine is better. Gordie Howe will also take occasional shifts on the other lines to take advantage of his legendary endurance.

Second line will mostly be used in offensive situations (Cyclone Taylor was a pretty good defensive player, but that's definitely not his strength).

Third line will be mostly used in defensive situations, and will also see a lot of time against his 1st line.

Fourth line will see very limited minutes at even strength, as 4th lines tend to do in the playoffs, with Stastny and Ciccarelli picking up more time on the PP.

TDLR: 1st and 3rd line will see the lion's share of the defensive responsibilities, 1st and 2nd line will both be used in offensive situations. I don't always draft a 1st line that is strong on both sides of the ice, but this time I did, and I (or more precisely, Tommy Ivan) will use it.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Advantage at D: Slight Advantage to Pittsburgh

1st Pair:

Clutch. That's Pittsburgh's top pair. It's also superior to San Jose's for a couple of reasons.

First, I think Fetisov is very close to Shore all time. Shore gets a lot of mileage from a bit weaker 1930's era, especially when you consider contemporary competition among D. Would late 70's and early 80's domestic/international Russian hockey stick with 1930's NHL'ers? I'd have to think so by that period in Soviet hockey development and what they were doing best on best against the best NHL'ers. Fetisov was more or less a legend for the USSR during much of his prime, going up against folks like Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, etc and holding his own and sometimes even being the best player on the ice head to head. Gretzky himself called Fetisov the best Dman he ever played against and that would have included Bourque and Potvin.

The pendulum swings the most when it comes to Horton vs Gerard where Horton enjoys a solid advantage. Horton is comfortably a #2 in a 12 team draft whereas Gerard would be a much better #3 here. I think Gerard-Shore is a very good fit it's just a bit weaker overall and I think Pittsburgh's top pair is a good bit better defensively an as potent if not more so offensively to boot mainly because Horton could actually play some offensive brand of hockey when called upon.

Consider just how good Fetisov and Horton are all time on the international stage, best on best, and in the NHL playoffs.

Fetisov, of any international player who didn't get to play in the NHL (or did so in the post prime portion of their careere) playoff, is very likely the best big game player in history when it comes to playoffs/international head to heads. I think if you were to insert him in the NHL top 40 list done 2 years ago in a relative sense, he'd certainly be in the top 10, and can be argued top 5, IMHO.

USSR won 10 gold medals in 17 tournaments, and won a medal in 6 of the other 7.

Fetisov had 146 points in 143 senior games. Was a tournament AS defender 9 times. 5 times he was the Best Dman.

Fetisov and teammate Igor Larionov, along with Scott Niedermayer, Corey Perry, Joe Sakic, Patrice Bergeron, Sidney Crosby (another one of my players), and Jonathan Toews are the only players to win the "Grand Slam of Ice Hockey", winning the Stanley Cup, World Ice Hockey Champions, Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympics, World Ice Hockey Junior Championship, and Canada/World Cup Championship.

The man just dominates head to head against the best and delivers.

Horton was arguably the linchpin of the Leafs dynasty. Their coach thinks so.

According to Punch Imlach, "I think Horton, more than any other one player, was the key to those glory days."

He was on 4 Cup winners in 6 years (with 3 consecutive), where he scored 32 points in 48 games, was a +6.

I personally like Fetisov more in this environment. I think Fetisov was underrated (like most euro's) in the top 100 project. I absolutely believe he's in the Potvin/Kelly class and you can argue he's better than both, legitimately.

Eddie Shore played in an era that was pretty weak for contemporary competition at D. But more importantly Shore routinely fell short of his lofty regular season reputation. Boston as whole is thought by many to have underachieved given the talent they possessed.

Consider:

1927:
Boston loses in the Cup finals. Shore has 0 points in those 4 games and a ridiculous 24 penalty minutes.

1928:
Boston out in the semis. Once again, Shore 0 points in 2 games. 8 PIMs.

1929:
Boston wins the Cup, but in the finals, but Shore doesn't register a point and spends 8 minutes in the box. How valuable was he in this series if he spent nearly half a period not playing over 2 games?

1930 :
Boston a team that went 38-5-1, got swept in 2 games vs the underdog Montreal Canadians. Eddie Shore scored 1 goal in those 2 games but the number you want to focus on is 8. PIMs. Shore spent 8 minutes of valuable time in the box.

1931:
Repeating theme. Shore and Bruins are knocked out in the semi's by Montreal. Shore gets 3 points in the 5 game tilt but spends 22 minutes in the box. That's another 4 minutes per game average.

1932:
Missed the postseason.

1933:
Boston gets knocked out by Maple Leafs in 5. Shore posts 2 in 5 but when it comes to the sin bin, he's back in there a lot with 14 minutes.

1934:
Didn't make postseason

1935:
Boston again bounced in the semi's. Shore with 1 point in 4 games, but the opposing top line for Toronto goes off for 12 points in 4 games, a big amount for that time period. Shore manages to stay on the ice with just 2 PIMS.

Boston bounced in the 1st round. Shore back to his bad ways with 12 minutes served in just 2 games. He did get 2 points in those 2 games but again, his lack of presence is clearly a pattern that doesn't help.

1937:
Didn't play.

Boston out in the semi's. Shore with 1 assist in 3 games. Not to bad with 4 penalty minutes. But the opposing top players did well (Drillon, Apps).

Boston finally wins a title over Toronto. Shore has 3 in 5 and from what little I've read had a strong finals. 6 Pims.

Totals:

In 34 eliminating series games, Shore put put 13 points which is not a bad number for a player at that time period. It's quite good. The problem is in those same 34 games, Shore spent 108 minutes in the box. During the 1 of the 2 Cup final series they did win Shore seemed to be little to no factor and was in the box a lot. He did finally post a strong run in 1939 but the overwhelming book on Shore is his temper and poor discipline led to being off the ice and not helping his team.

Overall, my top pairing is a tremendous fit, possess combined great offense and certainly elite defense. It's a nasty pair, without the lunatic who will be spending a lot of time sitting in the penalty box (Shore). I think it comes out on top both because there is a larger gap between Horton and Gerard than there is Shore/Fetisov (I really don't have one but most likely do have a small gap).

2nd pair:

Wash.

MacInnis could pass for a legit #2 with the right partner and here he's a 2nd pair guy for Pitt. He won a Smythe with an all time great run for the Flames in 89 when he led the playoffs in assists, points, and game winning goals.

He is more offensive oriented certainly but as he aged he developed into a pretty strong player in his own end, especially in St Louis where he had a late career resurgence winning a Norris and coming runner up another time. He's a player that adapted his game to the changing style of hockey from the late 80's/early 90's to the mid 90's and beyond. He's the best player on either pair.

I thought it was crazy to see at age 35, in 99 when they first started tracking on ice time, MacInnis was averaging 35 minutes a night over 13 games. He can take a few shifts with Fetisov certainly on the top pair, giving the heavy working Horton a slight breather now and then (not that he needed it given his legendary endurance).

I think Vasiliev is better than better overall player than Ching Johnson all things considered. Both are elite in their own end. Neither brings much offensive value although Johnson is even less. Salming makes for a very nice 3 in my book but he's pretty much non existent in the postseason (to be fair he played on some pretty meh Leaf teams). Both pairs fit well. Both pairs are physical. No glaring weaknesses that I can see.

For transparency sake, Ching Johnson wasn't quite as savage and was thought of as much less dirty next to Shore but he still racked up a good many PIM's in his time. The difference being Ching is my #4 so if he goes off the ice a few times it's less of an issue than losing a #1 (Shore).

3rd pair:

San Jose wins this because Coulter looks good anchoring a bottom pairing. He's a poor man's Ching Johnson with more offense and less defensive ability/impact. I think Zubov is the 2nd best player on either pair but a click below Coulter. Zubs certainly provides a nice offensive jolt and had a quiet yet very strong postseason career. Plus he's a stud on the PP. I think Wentworth and Schoenfeld are run of the mill #6's. Schoenfeld is a pure stay at home guy but was one of the very best at that when he played. He's an elite PK'er and actually played A TON of hockey at even strength in Buffalo. Like the 4th lines, these players aren't going to have big impacts but it's important to show objectivity.

Conclusion:

I think Pittsburgh edges out here again, as they do at F, mainly because of the top 4 who are going to be playing most of the game for both teams. Pittsburgh has one of the greatest big game players as their #1 (Fetisov), whereas San Jose is much further towards the opposite end of the spectrum with Shore. Even if you have Shore a touch above Fetisov, in a condensed, playoff environment the needle has to go Slava's way easily.

While I think Shore obviously holds an advantage in the regular season (Fetisov was a 2 time Soviet league MVP when I'd wager 1980's Soviet hockey could have easily ran toe to toe with 1930's NHL hockey) the gap between the 2 as postseason/best on best players is much more massive. I'd peg Fetisov a top 10 player all time in that regard, across all time hockey.

Horton was a very strong playoff performer. MacInnis didn't have many opportunities to go deep(er) but when he did, his performances were generally strong (84, 86) to elite (89). He was just under a point per game player for his career in the postseason. He'll generate offense certainly without being a black mark in the defensive zone.

As any TDMM team, San Jose's pairs are well thought out and good fits (2nd pair might be a touch light offensively). I simply think, like the F group, Pittsburgh is slightly ahead and has a collection of better big game players. A theme that I believe should push Blake's Professionals over the top.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I was mulling how I'd bracket the defensemen tiers, just as a sidebar:

Orr (on his own planet)

Harvey (only Dman who's not light years behind Orr)

Bourque (flip a coin IMO)
Lidstrom

Shore (Can argue any #1 or mix and match in any order)
Fetisov
Potvin
Kelly

Robinson (Maybe up in the tier above but he'd be coming in last for me if so)
Chelios

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Shore is comfortably ahead of Fetisov, mainly because's Shore's prime was approximately twice as long. And you clearly care about length of prime if you are ranking Lidstrom over Potvin and even Robinson.

Shore also proved himself elite in various roles - puck rusher early in his career, more defense-first in the second half. Fetisov sucked playing North American hockey in NJ, and had to go to a Detroit team that played a very Russian style to be effective. No, I don't think that means Fetisov sucks by any means, but his lack of versatility is a small factor.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I was mulling how I'd bracket the defensemen tiers, just as a sidebar:

Orr (on his own planet)

Harvey (only Dman who's not light years behind Orr)

Bourque (flip a coin IMO)
Lidstrom

Shore (Can argue any #1 or mix and match in any order)
Fetisov
Potvin
Kelly

Robinson (Maybe up in the tier above but he'd be coming in last for me if so)
Chelios

Orr

Harvey (on another day, I might have him in the same tier as the 3 guys right below)
Bourque/Lidstrom/Shore

Kelly/Potvin
Fetisov

Chelios/Robinson

is as generous to Fetisov as I can do.

I honestly never knew you were the biggest Fetisov fan on the ATD board.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Advantage at D: Slight Advantage to Pittsburgh

1st Pair:

Clutch. That's Pittsburgh's top pair. It's also superior to San Jose's for a couple of reasons.

First, I think Fetisov is very close to Shore all time. Shore gets a lot of mileage from a bit weaker 1930's era, especially when you consider contemporary competition among D. Would late 70's and early 80's domestic/international Russian hockey stick with 1930's NHL'ers? I'd have to think so by that period in Soviet hockey development and what they were doing best on best against the best NHL'ers. Fetisov was more or less a legend for the USSR during much of his prime, going up against folks like Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, etc and holding his own and sometimes even being the best player on the ice head to head. Gretzky himself called Fetisov the best Dman he ever played against and that would have included Bourque and Potvin.

The pendulum swings the most when it comes to Horton vs Gerard where Horton enjoys a solid advantage. Horton is comfortably a #2 in a 12 team draft whereas Gerard would be a much better #3 here. I think Gerard-Shore is a very good fit it's just a bit weaker overall and I think Pittsburgh's top pair is a good bit better defensively an as potent if not more so offensively to boot mainly because Horton could actually play some offensive brand of hockey when called upon.

Consider just how good Fetisov and Horton are all time on the international stage, best on best, and in the NHL playoffs.

Fetisov, of any international player who didn't get to play in the NHL (or did so in the post prime portion of their careere) playoff, is very likely the best big game player in history when it comes to playoffs/international head to heads. I think if you were to insert him in the NHL top 40 list done 2 years ago in a relative sense, he'd certainly be in the top 10, and can be argued top 5, IMHO.

USSR won 10 gold medals in 17 tournaments, and won a medal in 6 of the other 7.

Fetisov had 146 points in 143 senior games. Was a tournament AS defender 9 times. 5 times he was the Best Dman.

Fetisov and teammate Igor Larionov, along with Scott Niedermayer, Corey Perry, Joe Sakic, Patrice Bergeron, Sidney Crosby (another one of my players), and Jonathan Toews are the only players to win the "Grand Slam of Ice Hockey", winning the Stanley Cup, World Ice Hockey Champions, Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympics, World Ice Hockey Junior Championship, and Canada/World Cup Championship.

The man just dominates head to head against the best and delivers.

Horton was arguably the linchpin of the Leafs dynasty. Their coach thinks so.

According to Punch Imlach, "I think Horton, more than any other one player, was the key to those glory days."

He was on 4 Cup winners in 6 years (with 3 consecutive), where he scored 32 points in 48 games, was a +6.

I personally like Fetisov more in this environment. I think Fetisov was underrated (like most euro's) in the top 100 project. I absolutely believe he's in the Potvin/Kelly class and you can argue he's better than both, legitimately.

Eddie Shore played in an era that was pretty weak for contemporary competition at D. But more importantly Shore routinely fell short of his lofty regular season reputation. Boston as whole is thought by many to have underachieved given the talent they possessed.

Consider:

1927:
Boston loses in the Cup finals. Shore has 0 points in those 4 games and a ridiculous 24 penalty minutes.

1928:
Boston out in the semis. Once again, Shore 0 points in 2 games. 8 PIMs.

1929:
Boston wins the Cup, but in the finals, but Shore doesn't register a point and spends 8 minutes in the box. How valuable was he in this series if he spent nearly half a period not playing over 2 games?

1930 :
Boston a team that went 38-5-1, got swept in 2 games vs the underdog Montreal Canadians. Eddie Shore scored 1 goal in those 2 games but the number you want to focus on is 8. PIMs. Shore spent 8 minutes of valuable time in the box.

1931:
Repeating theme. Shore and Bruins are knocked out in the semi's by Montreal. Shore gets 3 points in the 5 game tilt but spends 22 minutes in the box. That's another 4 minutes per game average.

1932:
Missed the postseason.

1933:
Boston gets knocked out by Maple Leafs in 5. Shore posts 2 in 5 but when it comes to the sin bin, he's back in there a lot with 14 minutes.

1934:
Didn't make postseason

1935:
Boston again bounced in the semi's. Shore with 1 point in 4 games, but the opposing top line for Toronto goes off for 12 points in 4 games, a big amount for that time period. Shore manages to stay on the ice with just 2 PIMS.

Boston bounced in the 1st round. Shore back to his bad ways with 12 minutes served in just 2 games. He did get 2 points in those 2 games but again, his lack of presence is clearly a pattern that doesn't help.

1937:
Didn't play.

Boston out in the semi's. Shore with 1 assist in 3 games. Not to bad with 4 penalty minutes. But the opposing top players did well (Drillon, Apps).

Boston finally wins a title over Toronto. Shore has 3 in 5 and from what little I've read had a strong finals. 6 Pims.

Totals:

In 34 eliminating series games, Shore put put 13 points which is not a bad number for a player at that time period. It's quite good. The problem is in those same 34 games, Shore spent 108 minutes in the box. During the 1 of the 2 Cup final series they did win Shore seemed to be little to no factor and was in the box a lot. He did finally post a strong run in 1939 but the overwhelming book on Shore is his temper and poor discipline led to being off the ice and not helping his team.

Overall, my top pairing is a tremendous fit, possess combined great offense and certainly elite defense. It's a nasty pair, without the lunatic who will be spending a lot of time sitting in the penalty box (Shore). I think it comes out on top both because there is a larger gap between Horton and Gerard than there is Shore/Fetisov (I really don't have one but most likely do have a small gap).

2nd pair:

Wash.

MacInnis could pass for a legit #2 with the right partner and here he's a 2nd pair guy for Pitt. He won a Smythe with an all time great run for the Flames in 89 when he led the playoffs in assists, points, and game winning goals.

He is more offensive oriented certainly but as he aged he developed into a pretty strong player in his own end, especially in St Louis where he had a late career resurgence winning a Norris and coming runner up another time. He's a player that adapted his game to the changing style of hockey from the late 80's/early 90's to the mid 90's and beyond. He's the best player on either pair.

I thought it was crazy to see at age 35, in 99 when they first started tracking on ice time, MacInnis was averaging 35 minutes a night over 13 games. He can take a few shifts with Fetisov certainly on the top pair, giving the heavy working Horton a slight breather now and then (not that he needed it given his legendary endurance).

I think Vasiliev is better than better overall player than Ching Johnson all things considered. Both are elite in their own end. Neither brings much offensive value although Johnson is even less. Salming makes for a very nice 3 in my book but he's pretty much non existent in the postseason (to be fair he played on some pretty meh Leaf teams). Both pairs fit well. Both pairs are physical. No glaring weaknesses that I can see.

For transparency sake, Ching Johnson wasn't quite as savage and was thought of as much less dirty next to Shore but he still racked up a good many PIM's in his time. The difference being Ching is my #4 so if he goes off the ice a few times it's less of an issue than losing a #1 (Shore).

3rd pair:

San Jose wins this because Coulter looks good anchoring a bottom pairing. He's a poor man's Ching Johnson with more offense and less defensive ability/impact. I think Zubov is the 2nd best player on either pair but a click below Coulter. Zubs certainly provides a nice offensive jolt and had a quiet yet very strong postseason career. Plus he's a stud on the PP. I think Wentworth and Schoenfeld are run of the mill #6's. Schoenfeld is a pure stay at home guy but was one of the very best at that when he played. He's an elite PK'er and actually played A TON of hockey at even strength in Buffalo. Like the 4th lines, these players aren't going to have big impacts but it's important to show objectivity.

Conclusion:

I think Pittsburgh edges out here again, as they do at F, mainly because of the top 4 who are going to be playing most of the game for both teams. Pittsburgh has one of the greatest big game players as their #1 (Fetisov), whereas San Jose is much further towards the opposite end of the spectrum with Shore. Even if you have Shore a touch above Fetisov, in a condensed, playoff environment the needle has to go Slava's way easily.

While I think Shore obviously holds an advantage in the regular season (Fetisov was a 2 time Soviet league MVP when I'd wager 1980's Soviet hockey could have easily ran toe to toe with 1930's NHL hockey) the gap between the 2 as postseason/best on best players is much more massive. I'd peg Fetisov a top 10 player all time in that regard, across all time hockey.

Horton was a very strong playoff performer. MacInnis didn't have many opportunities to go deep(er) but when he did, his performances were generally strong (84, 86) to elite (89). He was just under a point per game player for his career in the postseason. He'll generate offense certainly without being a black mark in the defensive zone.

As any TDMM team, San Jose's pairs are well thought out and good fits (2nd pair might be a touch light offensively). I simply think, like the F group, Pittsburgh is slightly ahead and has a collection of better big game players. A theme that I believe should push Blake's Professionals over the top.

With such a heavy emphasis on the playoffs...

We must note that after 1989, MacInnis's playoff plus-minus numbers relative to his teammates were shockingly pedestrian, and this despite the fact that MacInnis really wasn't used as a defensive matchup guy. It's a big reason why MacInnis barely finished ahead of Salming on the last HOH Top Players list.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So I was genuinely surprised to see how high an opinion IE apparently has on Fetisov, considering I've never seen this opinion expressed elsewhere, so I decided to check to see if this is only because he drafted him. And well...

Voting Record - Art of Sedinery, ImporterExporter, DannyGallivan

Only a few months ago during the HOH Top Players projects, IE had Fetisov comfortably below Shore, Kelly, and Potvin just like everyone else does.

So... what changed in a few months, other than the fact that you drafted him?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Shore is comfortably ahead of Fetisov, mainly because's Shore's prime was approximately twice as long. And you clearly care about length of prime if you are ranking Lidstrom over Potvin and even Robinson.

Shore also proved himself elite in various roles - puck rusher early in his career, more defense-first in the second half. Fetisov sucked playing North American hockey in NJ, and had to go to a Detroit team that played a very Russian style to be effective. No, I don't think that means Fetisov sucks by any means, but his lack of versatility is a small factor.

Twice as long?

I don't think so. That's pure nonsense. He was a dominant player in both domestic Russian hockey in the late 70's all the way through the end of his time there which was the end of the 1980's. In that time frame he was a 9 time first team AS and 3 time league MVP. Not to mention his massive impact on the international stage. That after being in a car wreck that killed a person and injured Fetisov badly.

He lead the Soviet National Team to seven gold medals in World Championships, two gold medals in the Olympics and a gold medal in the Canada Cup, some coming against the greatest NHL players of that era and all time (Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, etc)

Here's the IIHF Centennial All Star Team:

The selection was organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation and named in 2008. The panel comprised 56 ice hockey experts from 16 countries representing a balance between North American and European countries, and included people who have worked in the game for an extended period and whose opinions are widely respected. One of the 56 votes represented the collective opinion of the staff of The Hockey News. No single voter's entire selection was the same as the final team.
Fetisov is not only on the list, but he's the top vote getter, by a wide margin, over some guy named Gretzky and other Soviets like Makarov, Kharlamov, Tretiak.

This is a player that Gretzky called the greatest defensemen he ever faced, along with Potvin. Better than even Ray Bourque? Apparently so.

If you take away Gretzky in the early to mid 1980's one could argue Fetisov was the most dominant hockey player in the entire world, which would mean a hell of a lot more than Shore being the best in the world in the 1920's and 30's where hockey essentially existed only in North America (on a professional level to be sure).

What does Shore have on Fetisov besides spending more time in the box? Was he a better offensive player at his peak? I don't think so. Defensively? Not at all. Better skater? Nope. I mean he was more physical but the difference was Fetisov could dominate playing that style without resorting to constant dirty tactics and things that jeopardized his TEAM.

You brought up the voting record from the top 100 project and I'm not one to shy away from responding to anything.

Let me enlighten folks a bit:

1. I had Shore dropping into the teens, for reasons I've posted here and times before. I find him a bit overrated. I've been on that ship for a while. He ended up at 14. Fetisov at 25. I think Shore is about where he should be but Slava should be just inside the top 20 (along with Ovi). He's basically a mirror image of Potvin, with Potvin being a touch more impactful offensively but Fetisov was more dominant in his own end. They both played a very, very physical brand of hockey without being careless too much. Fetisov was an elite skater as well. In retrospect I think Fetisov and Potvin are more or less one in the same. I think I underrated Ovechkin a bit as well. I've not been immune to selling some of the non NHL Euro's short, in large part because I know less about them in a grand scheme.

2. Yes, Fetisov was outside the top 20 for me, at the time, and while I'll certainly admit that having him on my team means I'm going to go to bat for him, investigating him more in depth, as I tend to do in these situations sheds more light on just how dominant he was. It's not like I'm suggesting he is better than Shore. I just think, if there is a gap, it's rather small (not that 14 to 25 is that big anyway).

3. Not long before the project started my wife walked out on me. Divorce proceedings ensued and went into the summer (nothing malicious, we're on very cordial terms, but anyone who's gone through a divorce, with a child involved, knows how hard it is and how much time it consumes). In late summer i took a pretty big promotion which cut my availability even more (i made mention of this numerous times in the project). I think it was around the 40's/50's portion where I dropped out completely. It was really only about the first two rounds where I was invested enough to make big contributions or study players effectively.

I've now been at my current job just over a year, am more comfortable there, and am in a much better place personally speaking. Bumping Fetisov up a little bit, is (because I pride myself on being authentic) partly because he's on my team but largely because I've actually had the time to read up on him, watch video's, scour this forum for past studies, debates, etc. I've never owned him before, in any draft, and most of us, tend to dig the most on players when we draft them.

I still think Shore is a slight edge here in the grand scheme overall, but in a 7 game series, Fetisov gives Pittsburgh a staunch advantage IMO. As I said before, he's somebody I'd easily put into the top 10 greatest big game players of all time. In the biggest moments, I'd trust Fetisov to impact the game positively more than Shore. That's just history talking.

And the original point when comparing players and pairs, was that I think Horton to Gerard is why the top pairing tilts Pittsburgh's way. Horton being a top 60-70 player ever and Gerard being on the outside of the top 100 (i'd wager in the 110-125 range).

As for Fetisov "sucked" playing North American hockey? He wasn't an elite player certainly, but sucked? No.

ESPN Classic - Fetisov's iron will matched his iron defense

It is hard to explain what he has done, what he means," said longtime friend and Detroit Red Wings center Igor Larionov. "He was most important man in our country."

Fetisov will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame Monday in Toronto. Words will be spoken and written in several languages, but it will be hard to capsulize exactly what Fetisov has done, exactly what he means. It simply might be too big.

"I can tell you that being in both places, his impact over there is simply unbelievable," said Scotty Bowman, who coached Fetisov to Stanley Cups in 1997 and 1998 with the Red Wings. "I think we've seen a little of it over here, but you have to be over there to understand."

In 6 years with NJ, he scored 130 points in 341 games and was never a negative player (+44). In fact, over the course of his NHL "career", he was never on the wrong side of the +/- category. That may not seem like anything special and it certainly wasn't but sucked? No. I think we can all find a boatload of players

Why? Context. A LOT of it.

Fetisov is one of they most important players in history when it comes to breaking the grip of the Iron Curtain which held its players prisoner (Communism, what a rich history it has, yawn). He trail blazed for so many that came after him.

I don't think people understand just how difficult it would have been for a man who didn't speak English, going from a country that literally did everything different from the western world, meaning the cultural difference were staggering, the game of hockey was very different, etc. Not to mention playing D and understanding and executing the nuances of that position is the toughest challenge in hockey, IMO.

How many people did Fetisov know in the US? Not many. Family? Nope. Not to mention the perception of Soviets/Russians and the stigma they endured.

Plus, Fetisov was 31 when he came over. This isn't like players of today coming and going from one side of the world to the other when they're teenagers or early 20's/primes, where not only developed nations being more similar, enjoying similar freedoms, comings and goings, etc.

He had spent his entire LIFE in Stalinist/Communist USSR. If anyone has even a shred of understanding how different that world was compared to the United States or Canada at the time, they'd be able to put context into Fetisov's transition to the NHL. I've been an American abroad, having stepped foot in over 30 nations. It's not an easy thing to simply travel and communicate effortlessly in many cases, today. And that's just a person moving about, not uprooting an entire life, playing a professional game, past your prime, in a very, very deep and talented era in hockey history. The pressures he faced would have been too much to handle for 99.9% of people out there.

Do you think he was the only Soviet/Euro who needed years to adjust upon arrival? Not at all.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Advantage in Goal: Solid advantage for San Jose

-There isn't a ton to say here. Brodeur gives San Jose a solid advantage in net. I personally have Marty as the 4th greatest of all time (some have him 5th or 6th) among G's. He's both strong in the regular and postseasons. He's the best puck moving goalie of all time in my book. He came in at 30th in the top 100 project (I had him higher in my final vote).

I have Brimsek 9th all time, which is generally where most have him. He came in at 56th all time in the top 100 which is a pretty good area for him given other other players around him. To be honest, I actually view Brimsek as quite similar to Brodeur in terms of style. Brimsek was a stand up goalie (not uncommon in his day) while Brodeur played a hybrid style but stood up more than most goalies during his era, which was more uncommon because the butterfly had long caught on and was being taught/used by many pro netminders.

Brimsek was very durable, rarely missed starts (like Marty) and was the most consistently dominant goalie of his era. Consider only Glenn Hall has more postseason AS nods among post consolidation goalies, in history, and he certainly got jobbed a few times in that respect as you can see in the bio's below.

He also was apparently very apt at handling the puck on his stick.

There's too much to transcribe in all but I included some of the more important quotes, and if you want to get a good idea of Brimsek's abilities/career value check out the bio's done by folks like TDMM, BB, EB, Dreak...

Maurice Richard said:
"Brimsek is the toughest goalie I ever faced."
Lester Patrick said:
He's as quick as a cat, and trying to get him to make the first move is like pushing over the Washington Monument.
Johnny Mowers said:
He's got the best left hand in the business, and nobody plays the angles as well as he does.
Gerry Cosby said:
When Brimsek was in his prime I think he was the best stand-up goalie I've ever seen - when he was hot, he was hot! Any goaltender who can come up with five shutouts in a row has to be fantastic. The thing that I remember most about Brimsek was how well he could handle the puck with his stick.

Hap Day said:
"You know, for quite a while, I kept telling my boys, 'You're always shooting right at Brimsek. Put that puck where he isn't.' But the more I see of him, the more I realize that there isn't anywhere around the nets that Brimsek isn't. I mean the fellows always seem to be shooting at him, because he always gets in front of the puck. He must have all the angles figured to a tee, and probably all the habits of the men who shoot at him, too. He anticipates where the shots are going to go. It's not often you see Brimsek making that last sensational, hair's-breadth save, like a lot of goalers have to do. He is there waiting for it ahead of time."

Jack Adams said:
Mowers can not depend upon the vote of his own boss, Jack Adams. The latter rates Mowers as a very good goaltender, "But when I am called upon to name the best one, I must pick Brimsek," Adams explained. "If there ever has been a better goalie anywhere at any time than Brimsek, I've never seen him."

Adams sadly confessed that Brimsek gives the Bruins a goal and a half start before they even take to the ice..."The only reason why Mowers has had fewer goals scored against him is because our Red Wing defensemen give him much better support than the Bruins provide Brimsek,"

ATD 2017 Bios

ATD 2013 BIO Thread (quotes, stats, pics, sources, everything)

ATD 2015 Bio Thread

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Pittsburgh has a decided advantage in terms of big game prowess among it's players:

Here's the top 40 all time playoff performers as voted on by the HoH section in 2017.

It's important to note that this list was done before Crosby won his 3rd Cup and 2nd of the back to back Smythe's so his 28th place on this list can be thrown out. He's comfortably in the top 20 now. I'd personally put him just above Sakic at this point.

Also, Fetisov is arguably the greatest international player of all time. His performances for USSS from the late 70's through the end of the 1980's is legendary. There is zero doubt in my mind he'd fit easily into the top 10 if we're talking relative terms with the players on this list.

RankPlayer
1Wayne Gretzky
2Patrick Roy
3Maurice Richard
4Jean Beliveau
5Gordie Howe
6Doug Harvey
7Mark Messier
8Jacques Plante
9Ted Kennedy
10Denis Potvin
11Mario Lemieux
12Joe Sakic
13Bobby Orr
14Red Kelly
15Guy Lafleur
16Frank Nighbor
17Turk Broda
18Peter Forsberg
19Henri Richard
20Mike Bossy
21Larry Robinson
22Ken Dryden
23Nicklas Lidstrom
24Bryan Trottier
25Bernie Geoffrion
26Doug Gilmour
27Serge Savard
28Sidney Crosby
29Phil Esposito
30Frank Boucher
31Bobby Hull
32Chris Pronger
33Jari Kurri
34Sergei Fedorov
35Martin Brodeur
36Scott Stevens
37Jacques Lemaire
38Duncan Keith
39Billy Smith
40Frank Foyston
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Besides that Pittsburgh has the following players I'd certainly put above average or better as postseason players:

Brett Hull
- 2 time SC winner
- 190 points in 202 games
- 24 career game winning goals which is tied with Wayne Gretzky for most all time
- Once led playoffs in points scored
- Once led playoffs in assists
- Twice led the playoffs in goals scored
-45th in all time playoff VsX (Seventieslord study)
- How far is he outside the top 40? Can't be that much.

Syd Howe
-3 Time SC winner
-Once led the playoffs in assists
-63rd in all time playoff Vsx (Seventies study)

Bob Bourne
-4 time SC winner (4 consecutive)
-76 points in 76 games over those 4 title runs
-Led NYI in scoring in 1983 Cup winning run including 2 game winning goals in the SCF against Edmonton.

Al MacInnis
-Conn Smythe winner in 89
-Led playoffs in assists, points and game winning goals in 89
-Twice led playoffs in assists
-160 points in 177 career games
-At age 35 he was averaging 35 minutes a night for St Louis.
-Ranks 7th all time in playoff VsX among Dmen (higher than Harvey, Bourque, Leetch, etc)

Tim Horton
-4 time SC winner
-32 points in 48 games over those 4 Cup winning seasons.
-Imlach called him the most important player on the Leafs dynasty

Sergie Zubov
-2 Time SC winner
-32 points in 45 games and was a ridiculous +23 across those 2 Cup runs
-117 points in 164 career games
-Averaged 29 minutes a night from the time they started tracking TOI in 99 (he was already 28 by then)

Frank Brimsek:
-https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/58663347/

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Oh god, you are actually quoting the HOH Top playoff performers project as a definitive authority, which is based on the opinions of something like 7 voters, half of them from Montreal?* Not that any of the HOH projects should be quoted as authorities, but this is one without enough voters to really count for anything.

*Nothing wrong with being from anywhere, but those projects only get widespread credibility when they have a wide diversity of voters. We are ALL biased in some way.

Edit: Ok, there were 13 original participants, but in Round 2 of voting, the # of participants was regularly in the single digits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So here is some actual data. 7 year VsX scores of players in this series. Now, of course, VsX is just one data point. And it's a data point that is often abused here, with mountains made out of insignificant differences. I've also estimated about where Taylor and Malone would go, as both played before 1926.

Gordie Howe (SJ) 125.5

Sidney Crosby (Pitt) 102.4
Maurice Richard (Pitt) 102.4
Howie Morenz (SJ) 102.2

Cyclone Taylor (SJ) ???? (this has to be where he fits in right? He isn't usually ranked higher than Forsberg because of defense)
Patrick Kane (SJ) 92.9
Peter Forsberg (Pitt) 90.9
Joe Malone (Pitt) ??? (harder to place than Taylor, but definitely somewhere in this neighborhood)
Peter Stastny (SJ) 88.4
Brett Hull (Pitt) 88.0
Claude Giroux (Pitt) 88.0
Doug Bentley (Pitt) 86.6
Paul Kariya (SJ) 84.9
Syd Howe (SJ) 83.9
Daniel Alfredsson (Pitt) 82.3
John LeClair (SJ) 81.7
Anze Kopitar (SJ) 79.2
Keith Tkachuk (Pitt) 79.0
Glenn Anderson (SJ) 72.0
Dino Ciccarelli (SJ) 69.8

None of Craig Ramsay, Clark Gillies, Bob Bourne, or John Madden scored to be ranked here. Note that in even strength VsX, Ramsay and Clark are in the top 300 since 1960, with scores of 44 for Ramsay and 41 for Gillies: Even-strength VsX

What do we get from this?

1) Gordie Howe is far and away the best offensive player in this series.

2) SJ's top line is far better offensively than Pittsburgh's. Howe (125.5) vs Richard (102.4) is a wipeout. Morenz (102.2) vs Crosby (102.4) is within the margin of error. Kariya (84.9) actually scores a bit better than Syd Howe (83.9), despite VsX being merciless towards oft-injured players like Kariya (and Forsberg on the Pittsburgh side). Yes, Syd Howe was a better all-round player than Kariya, but I would argue that as a whole, NJ's top line beats out Pittsburgh's in the non-offensive areas of the ice, too.

3) Patrick Kane and Cyclone Taylor, both on San Jose look to be the top offensive players in either team's depth scoring, depending on if you want to give Forsberg extra credit for losing games (and therefore opportunities to raise his VsX score) to injuries. But remember, if you want to give Forsberg a bit of a pass for missed games, you should do the same for Paul Kariya, as well.

4) Peter Stastny (SJ) and Claude Giroux (Pitt) are really slumming it in the bottom 6, eh? Both do get some PP time, however.

(Yes, I realize I just lazily fudged the scores for Taylor and Malone, but I think their approximate placement is fair).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad