2019 OPPF Divisional Final series: San Jose Rubber Puckies vs. Pittsburgh Professionals

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Twice as long?

I don't think so. That's pure nonsense. He was a dominant player in both domestic Russian hockey in the late 70's all the way through the end of his time there which was the end of the 1980's. In that time frame he was a 9 time first team AS and 3 time league MVP. Not to mention his massive impact on the international stage. That after being in a car wreck that killed a person and injured Fetisov badly.

He lead the Soviet National Team to seven gold medals in World Championships, two gold medals in the Olympics and a gold medal in the Canada Cup, some coming against the greatest NHL players of that era and all time (Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, etc)

Here's the IIHF Centennial All Star Team:

The selection was organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation and named in 2008. The panel comprised 56 ice hockey experts from 16 countries representing a balance between North American and European countries, and included people who have worked in the game for an extended period and whose opinions are widely respected. One of the 56 votes represented the collective opinion of the staff of The Hockey News. No single voter's entire selection was the same as the final team.
Fetisov is not only on the list, but he's the top vote getter, by a wide margin, over some guy named Gretzky and other Soviets like Makarov, Kharlamov, Tretiak.

This is a player that Gretzky called the greatest defensemen he ever faced, along with Potvin. Better than even Ray Bourque? Apparently so.

If you take away Gretzky in the early to mid 1980's one could argue Fetisov was the most dominant hockey player in the entire world, which would mean a hell of a lot more than Shore being the best in the world in the 1920's and 30's where hockey essentially existed only in North America (on a professional level to be sure).

What does Shore have on Fetisov besides spending more time in the box? Was he a better offensive player at his peak? I don't think so. Defensively? Not at all. Better skater? Nope. I mean he was more physical but the difference was Fetisov could dominate playing that style without resorting to constant dirty tactics and things that jeopardized his TEAM.

You brought up the voting record from the top 100 project and I'm not one to shy away from responding to anything.

Let me enlighten folks a bit:

1. I had Shore dropping into the teens, for reasons I've posted here and times before. I find him a bit overrated. I've been on that ship for a while. He ended up at 14. Fetisov at 25. I think Shore is about where he should be but Slava should be just inside the top 20 (along with Ovi). He's basically a mirror image of Potvin, with Potvin being a touch more impactful offensively but Fetisov was more dominant in his own end. They both played a very, very physical brand of hockey without being careless too much. Fetisov was an elite skater as well. In retrospect I think Fetisov and Potvin are more or less one in the same. I think I underrated Ovechkin a bit as well. I've not been immune to selling some of the non NHL Euro's short, in large part because I know less about them in a grand scheme.

2. Yes, Fetisov was outside the top 20 for me, at the time, and while I'll certainly admit that having him on my team means I'm going to go to bat for him, investigating him more in depth, as I tend to do in these situations sheds more light on just how dominant he was. It's not like I'm suggesting he is better than Shore. I just think, if there is a gap, it's rather small (not that 14 to 25 is that big anyway).

3. Not long before the project started my wife walked out on me. Divorce proceedings ensued and went into the summer (nothing malicious, we're on very cordial terms, but anyone who's gone through a divorce, with a child involved, knows how hard it is and how much time it consumes). In late summer i took a pretty big promotion which cut my availability even more (i made mention of this numerous times in the project). I think it was around the 40's/50's portion where I dropped out completely. It was really only about the first two rounds where I was invested enough to make big contributions or study players effectively.

I've now been at my current job just over a year, am more comfortable there, and am in a much better place personally speaking. Bumping Fetisov up a little bit, is (because I pride myself on being authentic) partly because he's on my team but largely because I've actually had the time to read up on him, watch video's, scour this forum for past studies, debates, etc. I've never owned him before, in any draft, and most of us, tend to dig the most on players when we draft them.

I still think Shore is a slight edge here in the grand scheme overall, but in a 7 game series, Fetisov gives Pittsburgh a staunch advantage IMO. As I said before, he's somebody I'd easily put into the top 10 greatest big game players of all time. In the biggest moments, I'd trust Fetisov to impact the game positively more than Shore. That's just history talking.

And the original point when comparing players and pairs, was that I think Horton to Gerard is why the top pairing tilts Pittsburgh's way. Horton being a top 60-70 player ever and Gerard being on the outside of the top 100 (i'd wager in the 110-125 range).

As for Fetisov "sucked" playing North American hockey? He wasn't an elite player certainly, but sucked? No.

ESPN Classic - Fetisov's iron will matched his iron defense

In 6 years with NJ, he scored 130 points in 341 games and was never a negative player (+44). In fact, over the course of his NHL "career", he was never on the wrong side of the +/- category. That may not seem like anything special and it certainly wasn't but sucked? No. I think we can all find a boatload of players

Why? Context. A LOT of it.

Fetisov is one of they most important players in history when it comes to breaking the grip of the Iron Curtain which held its players prisoner (Communism, what a rich history it has, yawn). He trail blazed for so many that came after him.

I don't think people understand just how difficult it would have been for a man who didn't speak English, going from a country that literally did everything different from the western world, meaning the cultural difference were staggering, the game of hockey was very different, etc. Not to mention playing D and understanding and executing the nuances of that position is the toughest challenge in hockey, IMO.

How many people did Fetisov know in the US? Not many. Family? Nope. Not to mention the perception of Soviets/Russians and the stigma they endured.

Plus, Fetisov was 31 when he came over. This isn't like players of today coming and going from one side of the world to the other when they're teenagers or early 20's/primes, where not only developed nations being more similar, enjoying similar freedoms, comings and goings, etc.

He had spent his entire LIFE in Stalinist/Communist USSR. If anyone has even a shred of understanding how different that world was compared to the United States or Canada at the time, they'd be able to put context into Fetisov's transition to the NHL. I've been an American abroad, having stepped foot in over 30 nations. It's not an easy thing to simply travel and communicate effortlessly in many cases, today. And that's just a person moving about, not uprooting an entire life, playing a professional game, past your prime, in a very, very deep and talented era in hockey history. The pressures he faced would have been too much to handle for 99.9% of people out there.

Do you think he was the only Soviet/Euro who needed years to adjust upon arrival? Not at all.

I'm well aware of everything good said about Slava Fetisov. And yet, even you ranked him decisively under Eddie Shore... until you drafted him.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Pittsburgh has a decided advantage in terms of big game prowess among it's players:

Here's the top 40 all time playoff performers as voted on by the HoH section in 2017.

It's important to note that this list was done before Crosby won his 3rd Cup and 2nd of the back to back Smythe's so his 28th place on this list can be thrown out. He's comfortably in the top 20 now. I'd personally put him just above Sakic at this point.

Also, Fetisov is arguably the greatest international player of all time. His performances for USSS from the late 70's through the end of the 1980's is legendary. There is zero doubt in my mind he'd fit easily into the top 10 if we're talking relative terms with the players on this list.

RankPlayer
1Wayne Gretzky
2Patrick Roy
3Maurice Richard
4Jean Beliveau
5Gordie Howe
6Doug Harvey
7Mark Messier
8Jacques Plante
9Ted Kennedy
10Denis Potvin
11Mario Lemieux
12Joe Sakic
13Bobby Orr
14Red Kelly
15Guy Lafleur
16Frank Nighbor
17Turk Broda
18Peter Forsberg
19Henri Richard
20Mike Bossy
21Larry Robinson
22Ken Dryden
23Nicklas Lidstrom
24Bryan Trottier
25Bernie Geoffrion
26Doug Gilmour
27Serge Savard
28Sidney Crosby
29Phil Esposito
30Frank Boucher
31Bobby Hull
32Chris Pronger
33Jari Kurri
34Sergei Fedorov
35Martin Brodeur
36Scott Stevens
37Jacques Lemaire
38Duncan Keith
39Billy Smith
40Frank Foyston
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Besides that Pittsburgh has the following players I'd certainly put above average or better as postseason players:

Brett Hull
- 2 time SC winner
- 190 points in 202 games
- 24 career game winning goals which is tied with Wayne Gretzky for most all time
- Once led playoffs in points scored
- Once led playoffs in assists
- Twice led the playoffs in goals scored
-45th in all time playoff VsX (Seventieslord study)
- How far is he outside the top 40? Can't be that much.

Syd Howe
-3 Time SC winner
-Once led the playoffs in assists
-63rd in all time playoff Vsx (Seventies study)

Bob Bourne
-4 time SC winner (4 consecutive)
-76 points in 76 games over those 4 title runs
-Led NYI in scoring in 1983 Cup winning run including 2 game winning goals in the SCF against Edmonton.

Al MacInnis
-Conn Smythe winner in 89
-Led playoffs in assists, points and game winning goals in 89
-Twice led playoffs in assists
-160 points in 177 career games
-At age 35 he was averaging 35 minutes a night for St Louis.
-Ranks 7th all time in playoff VsX among Dmen (higher than Harvey, Bourque, Leetch, etc)

Tim Horton
-4 time SC winner
-32 points in 48 games over those 4 Cup winning seasons.
-Imlach called him the most important player on the Leafs dynasty

Sergie Zubov
-2 Time SC winner
-32 points in 45 games and was a ridiculous +23 across those 2 Cup runs
-117 points in 164 career games
-Averaged 29 minutes a night from the time they started tracking TOI in 99 (he was already 28 by then)

Frank Brimsek:
-https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/58663347/

I really don't have time to go through this point by point (isn't this supposed to be a low key draft?) but I'll again point out that you are completely ignoring that Al MacInnis's status in the last HOH Top Players list dropped like a rock, when his playoff plus-minuses relative to teammates were revealed.

Otherwise, just lots of cherrypicking of data to make your guys look better.

But yes, Tim Horton was great in the playoffs... it's why he's ranked as high as he is, despite a rather pedestrian awards record in the regular season.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm well aware of everything good said about Slava Fetisov. And yet, even you ranked him decisively under Eddie Shore... until you drafted him.

I don't think 10/11 spots is decisively. Think what you'd like sir, but there is just no logical way when you break down their careers to get to the conclusion that Shore was a decisively more dominant player. Not awards voting, not stats, certainly not playoff/big game resumes. I still think Shore deserves to be a bit higher but decisively? No. And my rankings never showed that because I know what decisively means.

The key point in all of this is while Shore is marginally better in an all time sense, he gets blown out of the water or in layman's terms, destroyed as a postseason player, which is where I tend to place more value on when we're talking 7 game series.

That's all.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don't think 10/11 spots is decisively. Think what you'd like sir, but there is just no logical way when you break down their careers to get to the conclusion that Shore was a decisively more dominant player. Not awards voting, not stats, certainly not playoff/big game resumes. I still think Shore deserves to be a bit higher but decisively? No. And my rankings never showed that because I know what decisively means.

The key point in all of this is while Shore is marginally better in an all time sense, he gets blown out of the water or in layman's terms, destroyed as a postseason player, which is where I tend to place more value on when we're talking 7 game series.

That's all.

Yeah right. Your tiers also totally changed from a few months ago...

Not that someone couldn't have a legit minority opinion on Fetisov - I just don't think you do. Or at least you didn't until you drafted him.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I really don't have time to go through this point by point (isn't this supposed to be a low key draft?) but I'll again point out that you are completely ignoring that Al MacInnis's status in the last HOH Top Players list dropped like a rock, when his playoff plus-minuses relative to teammates were revealed.

Otherwise, just lots of cherrypicking of data to make your guys look better.

But yes, Tim Horton was great in the playoffs... it's why he's ranked as high as he is, despite a rather pedestrian awards record in the regular season.

Cherry picking data? By all means, explain how Brett Hull wasn't well above average in the postseason, or any of the others. There isn't a single player I listed that any sensible person would call below the bar as a playoff performer. I've gone out of my way numerous times to actually argue certain players and battles that you win in our matchup. Even MacInnis, who has a dominant Smythe by the way, with another time leading the postseason in assists doesn't drop to that point. He went from being good to being average/above average. If you're just going to throw out +/- as the only counter then it's not worth discussing. He's paired with Ching Johnson, an elite all time player in his own end, which is precisely why I drafted him because he fits next to MacInnis and insulates his biggest weakness in a 12 team draft and that is defensive play, not that he's Paul Coffey anyway.

I'm simply pointing out that a team featuring Maurice Richard, Slava Fetisov, Sidney Crosby, Peter Forsberg as their 4 best players is better than Gordie Howe and Marty Brodeur pulling the weight for San Jose. I mean for crying out loud, I just beat a team that had Gretzky and Harvey. Clearly you can't argue San Jose has the same level of big game players as Pittsburgh here.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Cherry picking data? By all means, explain how Brett Hull wasn't well above average in the postseason, or any of the others. There isn't a single player I listed that any sensible person would call below the bar as a playoff performer. I've gone out of my way numerous times to actually argue certain players and battles that you win in our matchup. Even MacInnis, who has a dominant Smythe by the way, with another time leading the postseason in assists doesn't drop to that point. He went from being good to being average/above average. If you're just going to throw out +/- as the only counter then it's not worth discussing. He's paired with Ching Johnson, an elite all time player in his own end, which is precisely why I drafted him because he fits next to MacInnis and insulates his biggest weakness in a 12 team draft and that is defensive play, not that he's Paul Coffey anyway.

I'm simply pointing out that a team featuring Maurice Richard, Slava Fetisov, Sidney Crosby, Peter Forsberg as their 4 best players is better than Gordie Howe and Marty Brodeur pulling the weight for San Jose. I mean for crying out loud, I just beat a team that had Gretzky and Harvey. Clearly you can't argue San Jose has the same level of big game players as Pittsburgh here.

It's almost as if Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, and Glenn Anderson weren't on my team. Good thing they are.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's almost as if Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, and Glenn Anderson weren't on my team. Good thing they are.

Oops, forgot Eddie Gerard:

Gerard won the Stanley Cup in four consecutive seasons. From 1920-1923, he won it three times with the Ottawa Senators (as captain), and once with the Toronto St. Pats as an injury replacement. (They had their pick of any defenceman in the East and chose Gerard).

Everything I've read on the dynasty years would seem to indicate that Gerard was widely considered #2 in importance to the team after Nighbor. (Gerard's relatively short career is why he isn't ranked higher than he generally is).

Yeah, Pittsburgh doesn't have a monopoly on big game players like their GM claims.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Sure, I agree with you. Still doesn't get you to Pittsburgh's level. I never said you didn't have those players or that they weren't well above the bar.

I could point out that Kopitar is no different than MacInnis right? Take away the 2 years where he was a playoff stud and Kopitar has nothing of record. That doesn't make either sensational, but as I originally posted, above average or better applies to both IMO. They'll both make some big plays, and are capable of going on runs, but they're not in the upper echelon because they aren't as consistently dominant as Richard, Gordie, Crosby, Fetisov, etc. I think that's quite fair.

I think Kane is a top 40 guy. No doubt.

Anderson? Not even close. He's absolutely a plus player but one has to put into context that he played as a distant sidekick to Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, in the highest scoring era of all time. There's a reason he's not on the top 40 list. People understand that the 200+ points is overrated in the grand scheme. I wouldn't take Anderson over Hull. Hull was capable of making major marks (like leading the playoffs in goal scoring more than once, with a shitload of game winners, including one that literally won a Cup for Dallas).

Who on your defense is going to carry the burden? Shore? No. Gerard was a great playoff performer but he's a stay at home player. He's basically a poor man's Horton. Salming? Non existent, but to be fair he played on shitty Leaf teams. Either way we probably can't count on him to be a difference maker in key spots. Vasi is like Gerard in a both style and performance so I give him a plus certainly.

My goalie, as argued by yourself in one of the bio's I linked was a strong playoff performer more than he wasn't, a few times spectacular but you have a sure advantage in net in the grand scheme. Nothing to argue about there.

I have the best playoff player in this series. Fact. I have the most top end talent. Fact. Depth is debatable, but outside of Tkachuk who was pretty bleeping putrid (but is a 4th line player here), and a few other guys who didn't/don't have much of a sample size (Bentley, Giroux) where are my weak spots? I can point to MULTIPLE players in your top 6 who are nobodies as far as playoffs go. Those being LeClair and Kariya. Cicarelli was putrid. And again, the 2nd most important player on your team, your #1 D has a terrible playoff record, relative to what he did in the regular season. The handful of guys that aren't breaking the bank for Pittsburgh are role players, 3rd or 4th line guys. Schoenfeld, a #6.

And that's the point. The few weaknesses as far as big game players go for Pitt are in positions where they probably won't have an impact, or a small one (4th line, 3rd pairing players). You have key players, on scoring lines and your #1 Dman who are below the bar in a 7 game setting.

None of that is outrageous or disingenuous IMO. I think both of our squads are very well constructed and contenders, obviously. You're the class of this forum when it comes to building winners. That's a fact just based on history. I happen to think based on coaching, and slight advantages at F/D my team should come out on top. If it does, great. If not, tip of the cap and I wish you nothing but the best in the Finals sir.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So you trash Anderson as a "distant sidekick," yet continue to push Bob Bourne, who maxed out at 5 points in a playoff year outside the 4 year dynasty?

You seriously claim to have more high-end talent?

Dino Ciccarelli has 73 career playoff goals to 74 career playoff points for Bob Bourne and he's a "nobody" in the playoffs? John LeClair, scored some big goals in 1993, then averaged almost a point-per-game in the playoffs playing through the dead puck era... as well as some great performances on the international stage. These aren't the best playoff performers ever, but "nobodies?" I'll give you that Tkachuk was terrible in the playoffs... heh

Is your strategy to make unsupported (and unsupportable) bogus claims over and over again, knowing that it's impossible to respond to all of them?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
By the way, I think you have a good squad too. It's some of your outlandish claims that I take issue with. At least one of which (your comparison of Fetisov to Shore), that it's been shown that even you don't believe.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Oh god, you are actually quoting the HOH Top playoff performers project as a definitive authority, which is based on the opinions of something like 7 voters, half of them from Montreal?* Not that any of the HOH projects should be quoted as authorities, but this is one without enough voters to really count for anything.

*Nothing wrong with being from anywhere, but those projects only get widespread credibility when they have a wide diversity of voters. We are ALL biased in some way.

Edit: Ok, there were 13 original participants, but in Round 2 of voting, the # of participants was regularly in the single digits.

Montreal voters are known for being the cream of the crop :naughty:

That said, I agree that using the HOH lists as an argument is ridiculous—especially since we ourselves participe in their creation.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So you trash Anderson as a "distant sidekick," yet continue to push Bob Bourne, who maxed out at 5 points in a playoff year outside the 4 year dynasty?

I gotta say @ImporterExporter , you did the same in our series—by pimping Bob Bourne as some sort of playoff God while conveniently not putting in a single word for Bernie Parent and George Boucher—both of which were significantly better playoff performers.

I honestly don't even know why Bourne is used in any central argument here. I didn't even have him on my list of potential drafted players. He's fine as a utility player but nothing more.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And yes, I feel like IE is filibustering quite a bit. That's fine to a degree—if you show up more than the other GM, you get some "participation points" at the meta-level. That's why I can't complain too much about losing my series; I didn't show up as much as I wanted to and IE came out strong. But what's happening here is an onslaught of statements—many of which are highly questionable (intrinsically or contextually)—making it extremely time-consuming to debunk them all. That's a bit annoying.

From my series the playoff records comparison was particularly distasteful contextually—since you presented it as if you were objectively putting both teams side by side—yet pimped Bourne and never mentioned Parent and Boucher. Also the unjustified pimping of Fetisov as being barely half an inch behind Harvey was cringe-worthy.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

You seriously claim to have more high-end talent?

Dino Ciccarelli has 73 career playoff goals to 74 career playoff points for Bob Bourne and he's a "nobody" in the playoffs? John LeClair, scored some big goals in 1993, then averaged almost a point-per-game in the playoffs playing through the dead puck era... as well as some great performances on the international stage. These aren't the best playoff performers ever, but "nobodies?" I'll give you that Tkachuk was terrible in the playoffs... heh

Is your strategy to make unsupported (and unsupportable) bogus claims over and over again, knowing that it's impossible to respond to all of them?

You keep saying I'm making unsupported claims and nothing could be further from the truth. I never trashed Anderson. I simply said he's overrated because all he has are points to his name in the grand scheme. And given who he played with, is not outrageous.

Bob Bourne played above the bar during the dynasty. He raised his game significantly. He led NY in scoring during a Cup run (on a team with Trottier and Bossy), was their go to PK player throughout the entire dynasty. A plus defensive player who could move all over a lineup. Anderson was good, certainly but as a bottom 6 player he is less valuable because Bourne does a lot of things Anderson doesn't (PK at an elite rate, better defensive player, better checker, etc) and in a bottom 6 role, that's important to note.

Ciccarelli was a constant negative player, who only once got near a title. Yes, some of that is because he never played for a dynasty or dominant squad (until the very end of his career in Detroit) but what does he have on his resume that makes him anything other than, "just there"? Goals are nice, but mean little if it doesn't move the need forward for the team.

LeClair is PP slanted (18 of his 42 career goals are on the man advantage) player. He's not even on either of your PP units. He never led the postseason in any meaningful category. As far as I know, any series that went past the 2nd round he never led his team in scoring. Again, explain how he's above the bar?

Eddie Shore is a liability as a playoff performer. If you think that's bogus, fine. I already posted his year by year breakdown both from an individual AND team standpoint. Relative to what he did as a regular season player, I don't see how anything I suggested is bogus or unsupportable. I said he's still better than Fetisov, but acting like it's some sort of decisive advantage, especially in this setting is basically trying to hit me at the knees by claiming I'm just making stuff up. Even IF you have Shore as a top 12 player of all time and Fetisov just outside the top 20, that doesn't = decisive. I think Fetisov is every bit as good as Potvin (they're very, very similar players) and Potvin is just inside the top 20. There is nothing malicious, outrageous or "wrong" with that sentiment. I've had time, as a Fetisov owner to study him hard and I think the 2nd greatest Soviet ever and certainly the greatest international player of all time deserves to be in that tier.

If I had been saying that Fetisov should be equal to or even above Shore, I'd support what you're saying. But I've long thought Shore overrated, have made numerous posts on the subject but have never once owned or had a reason to study Fetisov in depth. I was on my way out of the top 100 project when all that was being discussed (believe that or not, but my post history in that project shows that to clearly be the case). How many people here would step up and say they scour the internet and previous postings for guys they don't draft and have never owned in one of these leagues? We do the biggest amount of work specifically on the guys we draft, because we want to find out the positives.

Shore's problems are tied to his and Boston's short comings in the postseason. That isn't outlandish, it's been hammered and fact checked a bunch of times. My other issue with Shore is he was playing during one of the weakest era's in the entire history of the league. He didn't face much competition along the blue line for accolades. His only high end all time comp was Morenz and while I think Shore is a better player, that's not exactly a Harvey vs Howe or Gretzky vs Lemieux battle. The best D of his era were Clancy and Seibert, certainly top 20 Dmen ever, but again, weak compared so many other time periods.

Fetisov DOMINATED at a much more developed time in hockey history and when he went head to head against the Gretzky's, Lemieux's, Potvin's, Bourques, etc, he, well, dominated, more than he didn't. Domestic and international hockey in the USSR in the late 70's and early 80's would have easily held their ground and won against the best NHL players of the 20's and 30's? And how do I know this? Because they did it in the 70's and 80's, which was a much deeper and more talented time period in NA. They beat the best Canada had to offer, more than once. And Fetisov, generally speaking was the torch bearer for the Communists.

If you think that is outlandish, again, I say fine. You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it because I respect you as a poster and dominant force around here. I just don't agree with your sentiment.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And yes, I feel like IE is filibustering quite a bit. That's fine to a degree—if you show up more than the other GM, you get some "participation points" at the meta-level. That's why I can't complain too much about losing my series; I didn't show up as much as I wanted to and IE came out strong. But what's happening here is an onslaught of statements—many of which are highly questionable (intrinsically or contextually)—making it extremely time-consuming to debunk them all. That's a bit annoying.

From my series the playoff records comparison was particularly distasteful contextually—since you presented it as if you were objectively putting both teams side by side—yet pimped Bourne and never mentioned Parent and Boucher. Also the unjustified pimping of Fetisov as being barely half an inch behind Harvey was cringe-worthy.

When the f*** did I say that? THAT is outlandish and I'm not going to sit here and have shit that I've never suggested thrown at me, to make me look like an asshole.

This is exactly what I can't stand. I've responded to EVERY critique. I don't hide behind a rock after I make statements. I don't disappear for weeks at a stretch and I certainly don't go barreling into other people's series and start making up bullshit.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I gotta say @ImporterExporter , you did the same in our series—by pimping Bob Bourne as some sort of playoff God while conveniently not putting in a single word for Bernie Parent and George Boucher—both of which were significantly better playoff performers.

I honestly don't even know why Bourne is used in any central argument here. I didn't even have him on my list of potential drafted players. He's fine as a utility player but nothing more.

I find it ironic that people are calling me out for being "outlandish" and then seeing people not even involved in this series saying that "pimped" Bourne as a God. I simply posted his numbers and achievements from the Islanders dynasty which are quite good. I specifically compared him to Clark Gillies as a playoff performer and contributor.

I've never once made Bourne a central argument. ANYWHERE. Prove me wrong. I've simply said he's a good bottom 6 player in a playoff setting. That's it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Shore in the playoffs.

I'm just going to quote Dreakmur, who said it better than me

Oh, there's no doubt Boston was disappointing in the play-offs.

Those high PIM totals are very likely due to the other team targeting Shore as the main driver of the Boston team. At that time, it was pretty common belief that if you stop Shore, you stop Boston. He was too good to stop on the ice, so the best thing to do was draw him into a fight and take him off the ice.

Does that mean he lacked discipline? For sure. Does that make him a lesser player? Maybe a little.

In an era where the top players had to fight their own battles, I'm not sure there was an real alternative.

So... other teams targeted Shore, as he was by far the best player on Boston. And he sometimes responded by losing his temper in outrageous ways. A few points:

Re: Shore's overall ranking:

Shore hurting his team with a bad temper a few times is why this forum no longer ranks him as Harvey's equal. It's why I was one of maybe 20% of the voters in the HOH defensemen project to actually rank Lidstrom over Shore (which was a very difficult decision, as Shore's upside was definitely higher). But to rank him lower than that is ridiculous. Just about everyone (including my opponent just a few months ago) has Shore in the Harvey/Bourque/Lidstrom tier; he's just now competing with Lidstrom for the bottom of the tier, rather than with Harvey for the top of the tier.

Re: This series

A few questions for @ImporterExporter , which I expect answers to, since he just made the statement that he responds to all critiques:

1) Who on your team is going to target Eddie Shore?

2) Is it wise for your team to target Eddie Shore, as unlike real life, he is no longer the best player on his team by a wide margin? If your game plan is to target Eddie Shore, don't you think that's dangerous, with Howie Morenz and Gordie Howe also on my team?

3) If you do manage to target Eddie Shore, Tommy Ivan always has the option to put Clark Gillies out there to give your pest(s) (who are they?) an attitude adjustment. Fighting and intimidation usually isn't that big a part of the playoffs, but if your gameplan is to try to bait sure, then Gillies becomes part of the counterplan. And yes, Tkachuk is a better goal scorer, but Gillies would kick his ass. Okay, this is more of a statement than a question, so I won't fault you for not directly answering.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I find it ironic that people are calling me out for being "outlandish" and then seeing people not even involved in this series saying that "pimped" Bourne as a God. I simply posted his numbers and achievements from the Islanders dynasty which are quite good. I specifically compared him to Clark Gillies as a playoff performer and contributor.

I've never once made Bourne a central argument. ANYWHERE. Prove me wrong. I've simply said he's a good bottom 6 player in a playoff setting. That's it.

You keep mentioning Bourne as an example of why your team is so awesome in the playoffs, while ignoring players like Anderson, who were better for longer.

Reactions: Voight

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So just for the record so people can see how outlandish I'm being:

1. Shore>Fetisov
-The gap is smaller than I've thought in the past, because one, I've had the past 2 months to go in depth and study Fetisov. Actually read dozens of threads on him, scour the net, etc. Build a profile based on a lot of respected members of the HoH community. And 2 because in the playoffs, which is where we're at, Fetisov is light years better than Shore. But STILL, Shore>Fetisov. But hey, I'm being outlandish I guess.

2. Bob Bourne
-Good playoff performer (RELATIVE TO A 4TH LINE ROLE, which I've said since the beginning). Fine bottom 6 player who can be used anywhere in the lineup. Preposterous!

3. Pittsburgh has better playoff perfomers:
-If anyone wants to counter that San Jose is better, by all means, go ahead. Richard, Fetisov, Crosby, Forsberg, Hull, Brimsek, Horton, MacInnis, Bourne, etc). Hell, even somebody like Alfredsson has at least one all time worthy playoff run to his name. He's not good, but he's not a negative playoff performer. I'd take him over both LeClair and Kariya in this setting. Same with guys like Syd Howe who contributed to a mini Wings dynasty. Zubov who had multiple strong Cup runs.

If you don't agree with that, fine, but don't come in here and say I'm being ridiculous. Please, I've been around a long time now. I'm not some rookie who needs to make shit up and hope it sticks.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Shore in the playoffs.

I'm just going to quote Dreakmur, who said it better than me

So... other teams targeted Shore, as he was by far the best player on Boston. And he sometimes responded by losing his temper in outrageous ways. A few points:

Re: Shore's overall ranking:

Shore hurting his team with a bad temper a few times is why this forum no longer ranks him as Harvey's equal. It's why I was one of maybe 20% of the voters in the HOH defensemen project to actually rank Lidstrom over Shore (which was a very difficult decision, as Shore's upside was definitely higher). But to rank him lower than that is ridiculous. Just about everyone (including my opponent just a few months ago) has Shore in the Harvey/Bourque/Lidstrom tier; he's just now competing with Lidstrom for the bottom of the tier, rather than with Harvey for the top of the tier.

Re: This series

A few questions for @ImporterExporter , which I expect answers to, since he just made the statement that he responds to all critiques:

1) Who on your team is going to target Eddie Shore?

2) Is it wise for your team to target Eddie Shore, as unlike real life, he is no longer the best player on his team by a wide margin? If your game plan is to target Eddie Shore, don't you think that's dangerous, with Howie Morenz and Gordie Howe also on my team?

3) If you do manage to target Eddie Shore, Tommy Ivan always has the option to put Clark Gillies out there to give your pest(s) (who are they?) an attitude adjustment. Fighting and intimidation usually isn't that big a part of the playoffs, but if your gameplan is to try to bait sure, then Gillies becomes part of the counterplan. And yes, Tkachuk is a better goal scorer, but Gillies would kick his ass. Okay, this is more of a statement than a question, so I won't fault you for not directly answering.

Dreak didn't do anything but fluff Shore and Boston's nosedive as a playoff performers. Literally, words like "very likely" = I have no clue. Shore was a hothead, borderline lunatic who had a reputation for being extremely dirty. But I'm probably lying right?

That isn't just he playoffs, that's his career rep. I don't need to argue any further on that account because it's about as factual as you can get. How and why he took all those penalties is largely irrelevant. He cost his team by not being on the ice. It could have been guys targeted him just as much as it could have been he was a f***ing asshole who played the game extremely dirty.

But if you want to start going into semantics, by all means, I'll play:

1. I don't need to target Shore. If I've learned anything about hockey as I've aged is that teams that have discipline, often rule the day. It's your problem to explain how Shore isn't going to be in the box 3-4 times a game, possibly for a 10 minute clip, more than once. But if you want to drop gloves and throw bombs, Tkachuk was a heavyweight, Schoenfeld was highly regarded as a fighter. And guess what? I'll be sending a 4th liner to the box, you'll be watching your #1 D man fume.

That is honestly the biggest negative your team has to deal with. The only guys I have to worry about losing to the box more than a handful of times are bottom 6 players, and my #4 Dman.

2. Already answered that above.

3. Already answered that above. Plus Toe Blake is a much better bench boss than Ivan. I trust him to use the lineup I've assembled to navigate the San Jose roster. Targeting specific players is a waste of talent and resources. I'd rather play the game and let them self destruct when things don't go their way. But gain, maybe Blake sends Tkachuk after Shore.

Like I said, I'm losing a 4th liner. You're losing a top 15 player ever and your #1 D. MAJOR difference sir.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When the **** did I say that? THAT is outlandish and I'm not going to sit here and have **** that I've never suggested thrown at me, to make me look like an *******.

This is exactly what I can't stand. I've responded to EVERY critique. I don't hide behind a rock after I make statements. I don't disappear for weeks at a stretch and I certainly don't go barreling into other people's series and start making up bull****.

OK

Assuming we wanted to compare the playoff performers on our teams in an objective manner—in what universe is this paragraph an honest way to do it?

I think the coolest back and forth will be from the many strong playoff performers on both teams. For Montreal you have the greatest playoff performer of all time in Gretzky, with Harvey being elite defensively and good secondary gamers in Trottier, Foyston, Schmidt and Leetch. But Pittsburgh can counter with Richard who's elite, Crosby and Forsberg who are certainly both top 20 players in this arena, Fetisov who I think should rank very highly given his resume on the international stage for the USSR. Hull was a gamer, Bourne was a stud for the Islander dynasty, MacInnis was a Smythe winner. There could be a lot of fireworks from both teams.

So for Montreal you pimped Gretzky and Harvey, then described Trottier, Foyston, Schmidt and Leetch as "secondary gamers".

But then you come out strong for Richard, Crosby and especially Forsberg (is he even better than Trottier the secondary gamer?). You also mention Fetisov, fair enough. Then Hull, and Bourne—a stud !—and MacInnis.

You ommitted to mention Bernie Parent and George Boucher—both of which were insanely good playoff performers—and whose playoff contributions are a large part of their legacy. No mention of Pilote, who had some great runs. No mention of Northcott, who led the Maroons in scoring in their SC win.

Not sure why you don't see that what you're doing is borderline dishonest and clearly filibustering.

But that doesn't change the fact that you raised up your effort game and deserved the win.

Oh BTW, true that you responded to every critique. Here's your (very long I might add) response to the critique I did above:

3rd Bolded Part:
-I wasn't misleading at all.
Gretzky, as a I said is the best playoff performer (I have him #2 behind Roy but whatever) ever. Harvey is elite as well. Trottier made the top 25 of the all time playoff performers list. Foyston took the last top 40 spot. Leetch is certainly above average. Same with Martinec and Krutov. Obiously Parent had the 2 legendary runs with Philly but as I critiqued, fairly IMO, is that 2 years is not enough of a resume to feel good about in a 12 team league like this. IMO. Parent has essentially nothing of note beyond 74 and 75.

Is Lindsay really THAT much better than Bourne in the playoffs? Bourne was a STUD for 4 consecutive years for one of the all time great dynasties in sports history. I drafted him in the 1st year I ever participated because I thought he was really undervalued as a bottom 6 glue guy, with some hidden offensive pop when he's surrounded by high end talent, and strong playoff showings. He scored 74 points in 74 games across 4 years of Islander titles. He had 5 shorthanded goals (at least 1 each year), 4 game winners. Bourne could really play anywhere in the lineup. He was a strong shadow, elite, elite skater. Good checker. Just the ultimate utility man. Obviously, Lindsay is MILES better as a hockey player but in the playoffs, that gap is minimal IMO.

Pittsburgh has it's own mega elite postseason guy in Richard. Crosby is easily a top 20 player now all time after the back to back Cups/Smythes. Forsberg is just inside that top 20 line. Brett Hull can't be terribly far outside the top 40. I absolutely believe Fetisov would be ranked very highly if the top playoff performer listed had included non NHL players. Fetisov's international record for that group is arguably the greatest ever.

I think you have 2 guys that are average to below average postseason players on the 1st line alone in Lindsay and Conacher.

Where is Pittsburgh's short comings in the top 6 from a big game standpoint? Malone who moved up to the 2nd line LW was very strong in his 3 SC challenge games. Steller in 1919. Didn't have a ton of chances but generally played above the mean. Howe, is probably a lot like Lindsay in all honesty. I just think in the top 4 Pittsburgh has a bit more clutch. Schmidt and Foyston obviously give you a nice leg up in the bottom 6 though.

Defensively Harvey is a legend in the playoffs, but honestly, is Fetisov not in that tier? If he's not, he's darn close. I think Leetch and Horton are in similar places (Leetch with peak, Horton with longevity on Cup winners). Mac and Pilote are both close. Same with Boucher and Johnson. Zubov>Foote.

In this hurricane of words, you didn't even manage to acknowledge George Boucher except as a quick throwaway in the last line.

You start off by saying you weren't misleading. Yet may I remind you of how you presented Trottier and Forsberg. Here it is:

good secondary gamers in Trottier, Foyston, Schmidt and Leetch. But Pittsburgh can counter with Richard who's elite, Crosby and Forsberg who are certainly both top 20 players in this arena

If Trottier and Forsberg are more or less in the same ballpark as playoff performers, is this really an honest way to present it?

I don't want to drag this out, but in my opinion you made your own bed my friend. You can accuse me of being a no-show and a driveby shooter all you want—it doesn't change a thing.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

True, the central thing was just a manner of speaking and I shouldn't have said it.

And true, God was the wrong word. Should've used STUD ! Which you did use multiple times. Nothing wrong with the word stud—or thinking Bourne was one in the playoffs—but there is a context to all things. If Bourne is a stud, and Trottier is a secondary gamer, and George Boucher doesn't exist, what drug did we take?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
OK

Assuming we wanted to compare the playoff performers on our teams in an objective manner—in what universe is this paragraph an honest way to do it?

So for Montreal you pimped Gretzky and Harvey, then described Trottier, Foyston, Schmidt and Leetch as "secondary gamers".

But then you come out strong for Richard, Crosby and especially Forsberg (is he even better than Trottier the secondary gamer?). You also mention Fetisov, fair enough. Then Hull, and Bourne—a stud !—and MacInnis.

You ommitted to mention Bernie Parent and George Boucher—both of which were insanely good playoff performers—and whose playoff contributions are a large part of their legacy. No mention of Pilote, who had some great runs. No mention of Northcott, who led the Maroons in scoring in their SC win.

Not sure why you don't see that what you're doing is borderline dishonest and clearly filibustering.

But that doesn't change the fact that you raised up your effort game and deserved the win.

Oh BTW, true that you responded to every critique. Here's your (very long I might add) response to the critique I did above:

In this hurricane of words, you didn't even manage to acknowledge George Boucher except as a quick throwaway in the last line.

You start off by saying you weren't misleading. Yet may I remind you of how you presented Trottier and Forsberg. Here it is:

If Trottier and Forsberg are more or less in the same ballpark as playoff performers, is this really an honest way to present it?

I don't want to drag this out, but in my opinion you made your own bed my friend. You can accuse me of being a no-show and a driveby shooter all you want—it doesn't change a thing.

You know what, you're absolutely right. I didn't label Trottier fairly comparatively speaking to Forsberg. That's on me. As for Boucher, going into depth about his exploits wasn't my job. Yes, he's a plus player all time, no doubt, but again, it's not my job to make the case. I didn't say he sucked. I'm sorry you weren't around. To be honest I'm surprised you disappeared but assumed you had a lot going on in your real life. I'm not a chaperone though. I'm extremely busy Monday through Friday's these days, but find enough time to get in here and hold discussions the best I can.

Fetisov, in my mind is an elite all time postseason player. YES, that means, in the postseason I put him near to Harvey meaning top 10. NO, that doesn't mean he's near Harvey in the grand scheme. There is a difference and I was very clear. So let's not reinvent things I didn't' say.

I find it utterly hilarious that this Fetisov/Shore thing got blown out of proportion.

Nowhere did I say Fetisov was better. Not one single time. I simply said I would move Fetisov up A FEW SPOTS from where I ranked him last year, in large part because I've actually had the pleasure of studying him more. If you and TDMM can't accept that, it's not my problem. Period.

I've always been on the Shore is overrated train. His regular season success came against weak competition relative to his peers. His playoff record is garbage compared to most players ranked near and around him in an all time sense. Certainly so next to Fetisov, which was the bulk of my entire damn point. I have always thought Shore should be ranked in the 11-13 range. I personally view Fetisov as a Soviet clone to Potvin which means I'd put him in the 18-20 range. I'd move Ovechkin up from where I ranked him as well, in retrospect. I don't own him, so why would I have that opinion?

And the biggest reason why my first pairing is superior is because Horton to Gerard is a much bigger gap than Shore to Fetisov. ESPECIALLY if we're looking at how players perform in a postseason setting. If that is outlandish, then I'm officially done with all of this.

Yeah, Bourne was a STUD for the Islanders dynasty. He wasn't skating on a top line regularly, wasn't getting regular power play time, scored a lot of even strength points (how many non scoring line players lead their team on a Cup winning roster???), killed penalties at a high rate, while producing points there, scored numerous game winning goals. He's an elite skater. He can play ANY position which is a big factor for a Blake led team. He does everything you want out of a 4th liner. Relative to his role, he's a STUD. If you think that is outlandish, fine. But as a 4th liner, in the postseason, you could do a lot worse. Better certainly, but he's exactly the type of player I find valuable in a bottom 6 role here. With that being said, let me be perfectly f***ing clear so there is no grey area. I'm NOT saying Bourne is an all time sense. I'm not saying he should be put along side Kane, or Gerard, or somebody like that because Kane and Gerard are more central figures for San Jose.

Let's put it this way.

Who's the best player in the series as far as playoffs go?

Richard. End of story. Not by a mile but he's a solid plus over Howe. Richard's postseason record is staggering. The guy almost always stepped up and produced. And he did from his early 20's through the end of his career.

Who's San Jose's 2nd best playoff performer? Patty Kane? Brodeur? Lets pick Brodeur since that's who I believe in #2 on the Rubber Ducks.

Now compare that to Fetisov or Crosby. Neither are comparable. There's no point in debating it. Fetisov is elite, by any measure, by just about anyone (especially the Euro's on the HoH board who actually saw him play and have done the major studies on him). Crosby is just one of 3 guys with back to back Smythes, all time. His playoff resume is already elite and he's 32 years old. And that's not even counting his stellar international record which we all know. I mean he's literally the only bleeping player in hockey history to have captained teams to a Cup victory, an Olympic gold, and WC gold. Oh, and throw in a WCOH to boot where he was an overwhelming MVP.

Christ I'd put Forsberg over both Kane and Brodeur. It's closer there but still, how many people are going to argue the other way in favor of the latter 2?

I keep harping this because it bears repeating that I have multiple ELITE forwards in the postseason. My #1 Dman is elite in game big games whereas Shore, is not.

Then you get into depth players.

His being Gerard. I counter with Horton. Does he gain ground there? No. I think it's a wash and that's not outrageous at all.

Bring up say Glenn Anderson? I can counter with Hull. Are we really going to say Glenn Anderson was a better playoff performer? A guy who never once led the postseason in any statistical category. Played on a team with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, etc, in the highest scoring era of all time? Hull, a guy who played the bulk of his career in the dead puck era, yet still managed to score 100+ goals, lead the playoffs in scoring, goals twice, is the co-all time leader in game winners. Oh and he never played for an insane dynasty with 99 and company.

MacInnis twice led the postseason in assists, as a defensemen. I'd be curious to know how many players have done that post consolidation. It probably isn't many. Orr "only" did it twice (please let the record show I'm not saying MacInnis is even remotely close to Orr, or any of the other names below, in any way).

Dmen who rank very highly all time who've NEVER done it, let alone twice.

Harvey
Bourque
Shore
Lidstrom

But hey, his +/- wasn't great compared to teammates? Not that +/- is a very useful stat without a shred of context but it's a good thing he's paired with Ching Johnson, who by any standard was an elite stay at home defender.

Cyclone Taylor and Morenz are both ok playoff performers but they're absolutely a notch below even somebody like Forsberg. Are we going to say that is outrageous?

If you look at each roster and conclude San Jose is going to make bigger players, in big moments, fine. I don't see it, based on a lot of history, both in real life and studies done here, but whatever.

To be quite frank, I had Montreal vs Parry Sound in the finals here. Again, I don't hide from comments and hidden rankings via PM. If my team beat Montreal, I think I should win this match up because I had you as the #1 team in the division (besides my own of course). Had you snagged a better goalie, I don't think anyone stood a chance to take you down.

But, TDMM got a #1 regular season ranking yet again so more people thought he was superior (to both of us). I didn't expect to win last round, and I certainly don't expect to here. I don't want to be involved in drama and I don't want to have this turned into a sidebar freak show. I just want to have open dialogue and enjoy the process.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Comparing Crosby and Morenz:

Why Morenz outranking Sid in the latest top 100 had much more to do with numerous voters having large to massive anti Crosby bias than it did with actual on ice results:

Scoring Finishes:

Howie Morenz

1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 10

Sidney Crosby

1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 6, 10

-Crosby comes out on top when factoring in both peak finishes (top 3's) AND longevity. And remember his finishes are greatly impacted by the time missed during his prime where he lost 2 sure fire Art Ross trophies. His numbers are tremendous considering the amount of time he lost between the ages of 20-26. And that time lost was either by a cheap and dirty hit and a freak slap shot to the face.

TABLE 1 - BEST SEVEN YEARS, POINTS (last updated: 2019)

Wayne Gretzky155.6
Phil Esposito130.4
Gordie Howe125.5
Mario Lemieux119.8
Bobby Orr114.8
Jaromir Jagr114.2
Bobby Hull108.3
Stan Mikita107.8
Jean Beliveau105.7
Guy Lafleur104.5
Ted Lindsay104.4
Marcel Dionne103.3
Sidney Crosby102.4
Maurice Richard102.4
Howie Morenz102.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TABLE 2 - BEST TEN YEARS, POINTS (last updated: 2019)

Wayne Gretzky144.7
Gordie Howe118.1
Phil Esposito117.6
Mario Lemieux112.0
Jaromir Jagr105.9
Stan Mikita102.5
Bobby Hull101.8
Jean Beliveau100.0
Sidney Crosby99.3
Maurice Richard97.9
Marcel Dionne97.5
Ted Lindsay95.8
Andy Bathgate95.6
Alex Ovechkin94.1
Joe Sakic94.0
Bobby Orr92.1
Guy Lafleur91.0
Joe Thornton90.8
Mike Bossy89.4
Howie Morenz88.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

-Peak scoring they're very similar. But it's important to note that Crosby lost the back half of his most dominant year (2010-11) when he was on pace for 132 points and 64 goals through 41 games due to no fault of his own. And he lost another surefire Art Ross in 2012-13 when he was lapping the field until an errant slap shot found his jaw and knocked him out for the last month of the season. It took the couple of players the entire final month to catch and barely pass him.

-Longevity is clearly in Sid's favor. He's still putting up 100 point seasons post 30 years of age. No point in discussing it

Hart Trophy Voting:

Morenz:

1, 1, 1, 2, 6, 7,

Crosby:

1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 6

-Morenz edges Sid 3 to 2 in terms of wins but this is again, misleading considering Crosby would have been a unanimous choice in 2011 had he not been Steckel'd. Same thing in 2013 if Orpik could actually put a slap shot remotely close to the net. Either way Crosby still wins this because of the depth of finishes. He has been a runner up FOUR times to just once for Morenz. And has another finalist nod and 5th place finish. Morenz never sniffed the Hart after age 29. Crosby just finished 2nd in his age 31 season.

AS Finishes:

Morenz*

1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Crosby

1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2

-Morenz suffers from the AS award not being around before 1931, but given the information we have otherwise (like Hart voting for example) it's safe to say that Howie would likely have only picked up another 2 AS nods, which I added above in 1928 (his 1st Hart year) and 1925 (He finished 2nd to Billy Burch in Hart voting). Other years he either finished far to low in the Hart voting (and well behind multiple C's) or didn't place at all. So even if you give him another 2 nods, he's still well behind Crosby. At this point I'm really beginning to understand and accept just how many people actually, to their bones loathe Crosby. It's sickening.

Playoff Caliber Players:

An overview of Morenz's playoff career:

1924 (pre consolidation) - Scores 3 goals and 1 assist against Ottawa to win the Cup. Easily his best series as a pro. The 2 other times the Habs won the Cup he was basically shut out in both final series.

1925 (pre consolidation) - Scores 3 goals in the first round of the playoffs vs Toronto St. Pats. Montreal doesn't even play the final series against Hamilton because of a players strike.

1927 - 1 goal in 4 games. Out in semi's.

1928 - 0 points in 2 games. Out in round 1.

1929 - 0 points in 3 games. Out in round 1.

1930 - He has 1 goal in the 2 game Cup final. 4 players scored more than he did for Montreal.

1931 - He scores 1 lonely goal in 5 (FIVE) games in Cup final. 5 players score more, including Johnny Gagnon with 4 goals and 6 points.

1932 - 1 goal in 4 games. Knocked out in round 1. 5 players score more.

1933 - Morenz was better with 3 assists in 2 games. Montreal still knocked in quarters.

1934 - 2 points in 2 games. Montreal out in quarters.

1935 - 0 points in 2 games. Hawks out in round 1.

15 points in 35 games after consolidation. And in the 2 years Montreal did win the Cup post consolidation, Morenz was almost completely shut down. We see far less talented players stepping up.

Other random players totals in same or similar time periods (all post consolidation #'s):

Johnny Gagnon - 24 points in 32 games
Aurele Joliat - 19 in 40
Bill Cook - 24 in 46
Joe Primeau 23 in 38
Charlie Conacher 35 in 49
Harry Oliver 16 in 35

Crosby much, much more dominant in the postseason and on the international stage:

-Crosby's dominance in the postseason might not be held as high as it should be, especially considering his career is nowhere near complete. By age 31 he had done:

-3 Cup wins in 4 tries. Been to 5 Conference finals.

-Crosby is only the 3rd player in NHL history to win back to back Conn Smythes.

-9th all time in playoff points per game

-186 points already puts him alone in 10th all time. He's 15 points from Jagr in 5th.

-63 Career Multi Point games in playoffs (3rd all time) in 160 games. Consider, Jari Kurri, playing in the highest scoring era of all time, had 60 MPG's but needed 200 contests to reach that. Mark Messier, 2nd all time, had 77 in 236 games.

2 Olympic Gold medals in 2 tries (2010/2014)
-Scored Golden goal in OT of gold medal game 2010
1 World Championship Gold (2015)
1 World Cup of Hockey Gold (2016)
-MVP and leading scorer
1 World Junior Gold (2005)

-Also named Best Forward at World Championship in 2006

-Youngest Player in history to win a World Championship scoring title (2006)

-Member of Quadruple Gold Club (Gold medeal at World Junior, WC', Olympics, and WCOH)

-Only player in hockey history to captain every team of the quad/triple gold clubs.

-Orr, Gretzky and Crosby are the three players in history to win the Hart Trophy, the Conn Smythe Trophy, and MVP at the Canada Cup or World Cup of Hockey.

-He is the 6th player in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup three times with two Olympic gold medals. Crosby joins Igor Larionov, Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer, Duncan Keith, and Jonathan Toews as the players who make up that prestigious fraternity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad