NBA 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Corporate interests run business. South Park stated this perfectly. Look at the market.

Everyone is going there. Including the NHL. :confused:

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He couldn't be more right. Zion for example was born in 2000 so the Knicks have been a garbage team his entire life and have made the playoffs what, 4 times in his 19 years on earth?

Sep 19, 2008
this is the ugliest look for a professional sports league...ever?
the NBA is all about its wokeness & its social conscience, until they'll lose money for it
it's doubly bad since the Rockets owner has had no problems in the past making clear political statements in/to the press. The utterly tone-deaf comments from the Brooklyn owner don't help either. I wouldn't blame anyone for being "done" with the NBA, I don't see a lot of grey here, it's pretty black and white: see James Harden's [Adidas guy] apology to China...
A league so woke as to phase out the term ownerw. Can't say owner. It's offensive! Yet they have no qualms with business interests at all. You're right. It's hypocrisy.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with his comments about the Knicks, but are the Nets really all that much better?

They've done precisely nothing since moving to Brooklyn and were a laughing stock of the league after Billy King absolutely destroyed their future.

Though i guess having the "hip little brother" aesthetic helps a ton since players can now get the big city lifestyle without having to sell their soul away to an eternal dumpster fire now.

Sep 19, 2008
NBA Protects Billion-Dollar China Business After Tweet
10/7/19 by Bloomberg Radio
Web player: Podplayer - Podcast Addict web player
Episode: https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.megaphone.fm/BLM2199378524.mp3
Eben Novy-Williams and Michael Barr discuss a host of issues related to the business of sports, including the growing controversy over a tweet sent by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey expressing support for the people of Hong Kong and their protests against the Chinese government. The NBA does massive business in China -- there are 500 million Chinese people who watched an NBA game last year -- and anger over the Tweet has already led to financial ramifications. The Rockets lost a few sponsors, and broadcasters within the country have said they will stop airing Rockets games. Also discussed is the end of a 10-day carriage dispute between Dish Network and Fox Corp., which was resolved over the weekend in advance of Sunday's NFL games. Also talked about is the publishing future of Sports Illustrated, which went through a large round of layoffs last week and is under new direction.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't disagree with his comments about the Knicks, but are the Nets really all that much better?

They've done precisely nothing since moving to Brooklyn and were a laughing stock of the league after Billy King absolutely destroyed their future.

Though i guess having the "hip little brother" aesthetic helps a ton since players can now get the big city lifestyle without having to sell their soul away to an eternal dumpster fire now.

They haven't necessarily been better as an on court product, but their branding since the move to Brooklyn, the influence of Jay Z, that sort of stuff makes them cool.

As soon as they moved Brooklyn gear started becoming a fashionable thing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They haven't necessarily been better as an on court product, but their branding since the move to Brooklyn, the influence of Jay Z, that sort of stuff makes them cool.

As soon as they moved Brooklyn gear started becoming a fashionable thing.

Nets have made two finals since the turn of the millennium, which is 1 more than the Knicks when you go back almost 50 years. The Nets have also made the playoffs 10x to the Knicks 5. KD's point about the Nets tho is now they will be even more popular with he and Kyrie.

RE Billy King, he sunk the franchise but they still rebuilt faster than the Knicks :facepalm:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
If I have to see this Ben Simmons 3 one more time... My God. They're acting like he hit it in the NBA finals. It was a preseason game against a non-NBA team where you were up 40. How on Earth is this a f'ing story?

Reactions: Roman Fell

Kim Gordon

Sep 13, 2019

Whatever those security guys are being paid to confiscate those signs it can’t possibly be worth being on camera shutting down a peaceful protest against concentration camps.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I just saw the Kerr thing. That was quite cowardly for someone i held in very high esteem previous to this.
Why? How? What? This doesn’t even make sense. Kerr didn’t want to comment on an issue he’s not fully informed about. It’s better than the morons that spew whatever comes to mind about politics without having any facts. It’s one of the best things he could do.

Kim Gordon

Sep 13, 2019
Why? How? What? This doesn’t even make sense. Kerr didn’t want to comment on an issue he’s not fully informed about. It’s better than the morons that spew whatever comes to mind about politics without having any facts. It’s one of the best things he could do.

Agreed. Imagine how embarrassing it would be if you publicly said that a government putting religious minorities in concentration camps and shutting down political dissent was bad, but then after being further educated you realized those things were actually good.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

How informed do you need to be to realize it's wrong how HK is being treated.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Again, if he doesn’t have all the facts, why risk his job and career for something that he doesn’t know everything about?
I just find it hard to believe that him and someone like Popovich don't have a basic understanding of what is going on in China and Hong Kong. The NBA has definitely sent a message to its people to not speak negatively about China, and it now makes some look a bit hypocritical.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Lebron could've waited a week but he had to respond with that?

Not a good look for Lebron and the NBA. Come on Lebron, you are head and above the spokesperson for the league and that was not a good look at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad