Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Agree about Gusev. NO mention anywhere of Jarmo actually being interested in him.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Agreed, gusev is not coming here most likely. Like i said ahl contracts only. Maybe trade one of our dman. Imo we have major depth to protect us from injuries and some new faces not stepping up. Wont ship anyone out till deadline imo

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Don’t hold your breath waiting for Jarmo to make a trade. Nothing’s going to happen until the logjam of high profile RFA’s begin signing

Reactions: Madifer

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don’t hold your breath waiting for Jarmo to make a trade. Nothing’s going to happen until the logjam of high profile RFA’s begin signing

Yeah that situation is really a mess. Trouba opted for arbitration so I imagine Rangers will be hot to get him signed prior to the hearing. That should at least help with Zach's situation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So! Been away for a bit, obviously; a preplanned vacation, then family matters, then one or two other things. But here's a sum-up of where I am with the offseason so far:
  • The Nyquist signing looks very very good to me just by itself. Bonus: I've seen suggestions here and there (primarily from Athletic articles by Alison Lukan) that he could serve in the same PP role Gagner did in That One PP Year, and this gives me reason for optimism.
  • I think that with the Subban trade (which I absolutely loathed, by the way) bumping Nashville down, we have the deepest defense in the NHL, and potentially the most talented.
  • Still bummed that Kadri was traded to Not The Blue Jackets.
  • Apropos w/r/t that last - still worried about Wennberg, but it's clear at this point that GMs know the position we're in, and we're not going to get any favors anytime soon. Sensible move at this point looks like it would be to give him One Last Chance before buyout, and if he flubs it (which, let's face it, most of us expect him to do so :( ) then we can look at a defense-for-center trade. I don't like it because there's uncertainty and cynicism and despair in that evaluation, but, well, that's how the market ended up.
  • There's a part of me that wants to bring back Vanek for a year or two, because, well, he and Wennberg did so well... yeah, now I'm reaching. :D
  • I have no idea what to think about the Gusev idea. Part of me thinks of guys like Panarin and Dadonov and thinks "this could be awesome", part of me just keep thinking of guys like Shipachyov and going "oh crud", and all of me is worrying a lot about what the trade cost would be, given Vegas's cap space restrictions. (I'd take on Clarkson for that year if it'd help, tho.)
  • I don't expect anything substantial to happen for several days. We're into the slow period, after all. Patience and calm are called for. Patience and calm. PATIENCE AND CALM, G-DDAMNIT. ;)
:thumbu:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh, and forgot to mention:
  • There is admittedly a part of me that keeps daydreaming about a Marner offer sheet. I don't think it's really going to happen, but, y'know, dreams. ;)

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A sarcastic, "Is This The Year" (the CBJ miss the playoffs) video would be awesome.

Reactions: Dumais

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
According to the Vegas Athletic reporter, Gusev trade offers have only been a 2nd round pick and a lower pick/prospect. Not enticing enough for Vegas to deal him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^Eff it, just offer sheet him then....except, that's right, we gave away all those picks to get out of the 1st round lol. Some team should certainly offer sheet him because Vegas is in cap hell right now.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
^Eff it, just offer sheet him then....except, that's right, we gave away all those picks to get out of the 1st round lol. Some team should certainly offer sheet him because Vegas is in cap hell right now.

Gusev isn't eligible to receive an offersheet.

An Offer Sheet can be submitted to any player who meets the following criteria:
  • The player qualifies as a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent (RFA), or
  • The player qualifies as a Group 4 Restricted Free Agent (RFA)
NOTE: Any free agent player who is designated as a Group 1 or 10.2.c Restricted Free Agent or an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) [Groups 3, 5 or 6], are not eligible to receive an Offer Sheet.

Gusev is Group 1 if I recall.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From the FWIW Dept - NHL Off-Season Power Rankings: Who’s improved most (so far)? - Sportsnet.ca

Strictly based on off-season activity

columbus-blue-jackets.png
Columbus Blue Jackets
We knew a series of hyped-up UFAs were walking out the door after the greatest Blue Jackets campaign in franchise history. We didn’t know Gustav Nyquist would be the only talent of note coming to fill the void, or that Jarmo Kekalainen would roll the dice on the unproven goalie tandem of Joonas Korpisalo and Elvis Merzlikins. I’d love to know how hard he went after Lehner or Petr Mrazek.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No surprise there, we are the biggest losers of this off season, no question about it, although all of the players leaving were expected. Not sure if I approve such a passive approach to off season by our management team though.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
No surprise there, we are the biggest losers of this off season, no question about it, although all of the players leaving were expected. Not sure if I approve such a passive approach to off season by our management team though.

Yep. Exactly why we need to hang onto our first with a kung fu grip. There are just way too many question marks with this lineup and it could go south in a hurry.

Still some offseason left to add some sorely needed offense but at this stage I’m more hoping than expecting something tangible to happen.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah the attitude I have toward the upcoming season is filled with questions rather than reasonable expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad