Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Murray makes too much. Doubt Harrington moves the needle. Possibly Kukan but also unlikely. I think Nuti (as much as it’d suck to lose him) would be the target based on combo of ability and AAV.

We could take the Clarkson contract with Murray. Or someone else. Doesn't matter to me.

To me, Murray makes the most sense since both teams are acquiring a high risk-high reward player. We know the risk and reward with Murray, and the one we take is the risk Gusev doesn't work out in the NHL and bolts for Russia after a year or two (or pulls a Panarin after two good seasons).

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
We could take the Clarkson contract with Murray. Or someone else. Doesn't matter to me.

To me, Murray makes the most sense since both teams are acquiring a high risk-high reward player. We know the risk and reward with Murray, and the one we take is the risk Gusev doesn't work out in the NHL and bolts for Russia after a year or two (or pulls a Panarin after two good seasons).

Still don’t think taking on Murray provides enough cap help for them, particularly since Clarkson can go on LTIR. (Actually my original thought was Clarkson + Gusev for Nuti. I think Gusev’s high-end potential puts him at a higher value trade value than Nuti, despite the flight and game-translation risks.)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Vegas fans seem to think they can just trade Reaves or Holden and then put Clarkson on LTIR. But I’m not sure who wants those guys , and I’m unclear how much room the LTIR move would give them. They also still have other guys to re-sign.

Ah, the majormajor theory of "just trade your crap to other teams who want to help you manage your cap problems." :sarcasm::laugh: I suppose for a lousy pick or prospect it could work.

I think Clarkson gives them 2.575mm of cap space to sign 2guys including Gusev but and this a big but, he has to be on the roster on Day 1 of the season.

To get under the cap limit on Day 1 you need to temporarily send a guy or guys down to allow Clarkson to fit. Teams usually send a waiver exempt guy or guys down to avid risking losing a player. However, that strategy adds to their problems. per Capfriendly they don't have such a guy.

They need to trade Gustav & Clarkson to us. :nod:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Still don’t think taking on Murray provides enough cap help for them, particularly since Clarkson can go on LTIR. (Actually my original thought was Clarkson + Gusev for Nuti. I think Gusev’s high-end potential puts him at a higher value trade value than Nuti, despite the flight and game-translation risks.)

I agree they can't afford Murray. Nuti is the only one who (barely) fits under their cap constraints. Even if that trade went down they are still short a D man on their roster and no $ to spend.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Now, the only question remains is his transition to life and game in North America. Shame he’s not a good English speaker like Gavrikov, but neither is Panarin.

Is there any type of "friendship" between Gusev and Gavrikov that you know of?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Think what you like, I've watched him plenty. But even the picture you are painting is looking weak.

- As you said he dominated the KHL playing for SKA, the star loaded team. I agree, he did well. BUT. As I said the KHL's talent pool and level of play has dipped tremendously over the passed 3-4 seasons, and their is a severe lack of parity; it's a top heavy league. Imagine a team like the Senators feasting on AHL and ECHL teams.

- Yes, you're right. He did well at an Olympic Games with none of the other best players in the world. In the same games where the 1st pairing defender for Russia was, Bogdan Kisselvich, KHL all-star Bogdan Kisselvich, who couldn't crack the Panthers d-core.

- And you're also right he was great at the Worlds this year, where many of the league's best sat out and never attended...where world powerhouses with star studded lineups went head to head against Russia like Italy... and Austria. Where 10 of his 16 points came in games without an NHL goalie, and aside from the Czech, lineups with a sprinkling of nhl talent. He registered 2 (Norway), 2 (Austria), 1 (Czech-Bartosak), 3 (Italy), 1 (Switzerland-Genoni), 1 (Latvia-Elvis) points against these teams.

Can you do this type of World Championship breakdown for Alex Wennberg?

Asking for a friend....

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Going to be hilarious if Toronto is forced to match and they somehow move cap to accommodate Marner (don't forget, they have Nathan Horton for LTIR cap help, for this year). Basically their entire D corps goes FA next year except for Rielly, and only two of seven are RFAs.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Going to be hilarious if Toronto is forced to match and they somehow move cap to accommodate Marner (don't forget, they have Nathan Horton for LTIR cap help, for this year). Basically their entire D corps goes FA next year except for Rielly, and only two of seven are RFAs.

Toronto **might**become the "this is what you don't do" model for paying top talent. We'll see.

Hiring a greenhorn to be your GM and an ex star player (Shanahan) who never paid his dues in learning an organization from the ground up to be your President is probably not a very sound strategy:laugh:

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
They’ve played together for a club and the national team. So I think they know each other extremely well

I get that, that's more so WHY I asked.

What I mean, is there any sort of actual PERSONAL connection between the 2 guys that's ever been rumored or reported/talked about ala Panarin/Bobrovsky and the ladies??

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I get that, that's more so WHY I asked.

What I mean, is there any sort of actual PERSONAL connection between the 2 guys that's ever been rumored or reported/talked about ala Panarin/Bobrovsky and the ladies??
No, Gusev hasn’t ever been spotted in glamorous endeavors . I think same goes to Gavrikov, but he’s nowhere near close to Gusev star level in Russia. Although Gavrikov Instagram page suggests he’s into his wife more than anything. I don’t think Gusev has an Instagram account

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I added up their salaries assuming they match a 12 mm offer for Marner and as of the start of the season they would be at 89.7mm! That means they have to drop8.2mm to get to day 1 so they can take advantage of Horton's LITR. Of course his LITR only gets them to 84.5. However they have the Vegas problem in that they don't have any waiver exempt guys to send down. Dubas could soon be known as Dufas.

Even trading Nylander still leaves them with an opening day problem. Going to have to risk losing some depth guys to get to the limit.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I added up their salaries assuming they match a 12 mm offer for Marner and as of the start of the season they would be at 89.7mm! That means they have to drop8.2mm to get to day 1 so they can take advantage of Horton's LITR. Of course his LITR only gets them to 84.5. However they have the Vegas problem in that they don't have any waiver exempt guys to send down. Dubas could soon be known as Dufas.

Even trading Nylander still leaves them with an opening day problem. Going to have to risk losing some depth guys to get to the limit.
So, someone should do it just the f*** with an Eastern Conference competitor ;)

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Doubt we make any moves now. Would have done so by now. Most likely ahl contracts. Disappointing because gusev would have been exciting. Anyone else think we are done?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Doubt we make any moves now. Would have done so by now. Most likely ahl contracts. Disappointing because gusev would have been exciting. Anyone else think we are done?

No. I think a defenseman is traded. For either picks or a roster player.

Other than that, yeah.

Reactions: EspenK

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019

Has Jarmo gone to Finland yet? Bobby Mac had a interview with him and asked “What’s next Finland?” Jarmo smiles and said “Eventually that is the plan- it would be nice”

I took it as he isn’t going until he is done with what his plan was. So I think something happens. And if it doesn’t- I don’t think it’s from lack of trying- I think prices might be to high.

Reactions: CPTN71

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Has Jarmo gone to Finland yet? Bobby Mac had a interview with him and asked “What’s next Finland?” Jarmo smiles and said “Eventually that is the plan- it would be nice”

I took it as he isn’t going until he is done with what his plan was. So I think something happens. And if it doesn’t- I don’t think it’s from lack of trying- I think prices might be to high.

If he comes to Finland he better answer the phone, cause we have a lot to talk about.....maybe with sauna and couple beers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad