Speculation: 2019 offseason thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It does seem to be something that would be right up Jarmo's alley, as he is on record as saying he wants to wait to see who is up against the cap, and then make a move. Also, makes too much sense as a Panarin replacement. Speaking of which, the original Panarin acquisition was very similar, as CHI couldn't keep Panarin under the cap.

Only problem is if Gusev becomes a superstar here and we are right back to crying in our beers when he leaves for the NYR in 2 years.

Gusev is different, than Panarin. He hates parties, glamorous life and a lot of buzz around his person. His wife isn't a fashionable diva, so he'll feel himself pretty comfortable in Columbus.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The reason Vegas would want picks or a not NHL ready prospect over an NHL player is those would be pieces to flip at the deadline if they have a hole that needs to be filled for the playoffs next year. They were active this year (Stone), so they are willing to part with assets to strengthen their team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's an analogy.

Vegas trading Gusev because of cap problems is like us trading Werenski because of cap problems. We wouldn't do it. We would trade lesser players, like Riley Nash, then sign Werenski.

But can Jarmo call Gusev and get him to tell him how much he loves CBUS? :)

Listen I'm all for pursuing Gusev. If he's a budding star we either have 2 years with him or we trade him for other assets. I don't give a crap if a guy is locked into CBUS for the rest of his life I want great hockey players who will play hard while they are here.

Vegas is definitely against the Cap. Now will they trade Gusev I don't know. But we should pursue.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
A small part of me would like to sign Boyle for 1 or 2 years. Yeah, past his prime but a consummate pro who would definitely be an asset to our youngsters. Bottom 6 guy now for sure but there's a benefit I believe he'd bring to a young club. Just a thought outside the box.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Gusev is different, than Panarin. He hates parties, glamorous life and a lot of buzz around his person. His wife isn't a fashionable diva, so he'll feel himself pretty comfortable in Columbus.
Interesting. All more the reason to go after him then ;)

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
A small part of me would like to sign Boyle for 1 or 2 years. Yeah, past his prime but a consummate pro who would definitely be an asset to our youngsters. Bottom 6 guy now for sure but there's a benefit I believe he'd bring to a young club. Just a thought outside the box.

And if we miss the playoffs, he would be valuable at the deadline given his postseason experience

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Good to know, though I'm not as concerned with his attitude. Do you think he'd be good in the NHL?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'm not giving up roster players for Gusev...picks/prospects only...especially if Clarkson is attached

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The reason Vegas would want picks or a not NHL ready prospect over an NHL player is those would be pieces to flip at the deadline if they have a hole that needs to be filled for the playoffs next year. They were active this year (Stone), so they are willing to part with assets to strengthen their team.

Makes sense to me.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Good to know, though I'm not as concerned with his attitude. Do you think he'd be good in the NHL?
Nobody knows that, but he dominated at every level he’s competed at so far.

To put it simple, he has a much better pedigree coming into the league than Panarin did.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nobody knows that, but he dominated at every level he’s competed at so far.

To put it simple, he has a much better pedigree coming into the league than Panarin did.

I've seen the stats. I'm curious if KHL watchers think he's much better than Shipachyov was, or Nigel Dawes or any of the other top KHL guys. How does he compare to Dadonov? How is his overall game? Does he have the attributes that would make you guess he'd do well in the NHL?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've seen the stats. I'm curious if KHL watchers think he's much better than Shipachyov was, or Nigel Dawes or any of the other top KHL guys. How does he compare to Dadonov? How is his overall game? Does he have the attributes that would make you guess he'd do well in the NHL?

Dadonov is opportunist - he's very good in taking opportunities to score goals, and Gusev is a creative, he creates goals for himself and linemates. He's always been better, than Dadonov.

Reactions: majormajor

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
He doesn't have Saaditis that's for sure.

Reactions: majormajor

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Sounds like Jarmo thinks we're done in the UFA market. Not too aggressive in trades either. So, this is potentially the team we will have in October, save a move or two.

Over Jarmo's time in Columbus, it seems to me that he comes out and speaks to the media when he is done, not just at the end of July 1st. It's not like I've researched this with last signing announcement and date/time of presser. It's just a feeling.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Only trade in hindsight I'd take back is duchene...that 1st could have been used on a lot this offseason...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Not Dzingel/Kinkaid/McQuaid?

Dzingle- perhaps...he just didnt work out, we traded for a 30g guy, I would take that chance

Kinkaid - no, we needed some depth, I wish we had resigned him and let korpi go

Mcquaid - no bc it's not his fault he was cheapshotted, I felt he played ok for us...we need depth there with experience

Reactions: koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce