Speculation: 2019 offseason thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I believe Stone returned Brannstrom, a recent high pick for Vegas and someone doing well in the AHL, I don't think we have a comparable if Ottawa really wanted a stud D. I'm sure they asked about Tex, Foudy and Lime and were told no...but for a signed Stone I would've traded any of them, dude is a stud and he showed why after.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Source?

I haven't seen us linked at all except for people saying it makes sense that we'd be going after him.

I know this year/summer might not be the best time to make these comments as many more free agency decisions than normal seemed to be "predicted" this year, however there were clearly "signs" in almost all of these situations that made these predictions not very bold.

But for that, I will leave out Panarin as an example of quite literally ZERO link (or even thought), as I believe there was no talk of that in any way, other than probably the highest of people in each organization.

But, what about just this year and Nyquist (and MANY other guys over time) that have signed without essentially and "link" or "rumor", other than people thinking about "fit" or CBJ/other teams possibly going after them?

Just wait for the, Werenski -for- ????!!!!!!!???? blockbuster trade that was never "linked".

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know this year/summer might not be the best time to make these comments as many more free agency decisions than normal seemed to be "predicted" this year, however there were clearly "signs" in almost all of these situations that made these predictions not very bold.

But for that, I will leave out Panarin as an example of quite literally ZERO link (or even thought), as I believe there was no talk of that in any way, other than probably the highest of people in each organization.

But, what about just this year and Nyquist (and MANY other guys over time) that have signed without essentially and "link" or "rumor", other than people thinking about "fit" or CBJ/other teams possibly going after them?

Just wait for the, Werenski -for- ????!!!!!!!???? blockbuster trade that was never "linked".
Most of the time there's very little news when the Jackets make a deal, but it's not that I doubt that we're involved, I'm just curious to what extent they're willing to go to get him.

I'd imagine Vegas has 25-30 other teams calling about him which will setup a nice bidding war.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In Finland we have many rumours that Jarmo is trying to sign Gusev with 4M/y 4years. Is this happens cant be more than happy. Every time i have seen Gusev playing in KHL or euro hockey tour he has been amazing. He can definitely be 1st line forward in NHL
A 4 million hit for an RFA offer sheet is a 2nd round draft pick that we do not have so I don't know how Jarmo can be trying to sign him for that unless Vegas has given permission to negotiate prior to doing a trade.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I know it's very cool. I know it is very cosmopolitan. I know it is chic. I know my perspective is way different than his. Manhattan is what Artemi wanted.

But I'm an Old Guy. The thought of steering myself and a dog on a leash down a sidewalk crowded with several thousand people while 2/3 of them are staring at their telephone would just drive me batty.

I'm sorry my comment added to your angst. No....really....I'm serious....I apologize. My comment was part jest and part being flippant, and part "sorry to see him go". Again, I hope your tongue is okay from the bites.

I’m with you, OG, I love visiting The Apple, but I could not be paid enough to live there.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Putting him on Wennberg's wing could help Wennie
If Artemi Panarin couldn't help Wennberg, this Gusev guy won't either. We're going to have to face it and I don't like saying it, but Wennberg is done as an NHL player. He should be bought out or traded (with probable salary retention) for anything. Sooner or later, he'll go back to Europe and sign to play in some league over there and have a comfortable life until his career is over.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If Artemi Panarin couldn't help Wennberg, this Gusev guy won't either. We're going to have to face it and I don't like saying it, but Wennberg is done as an NHL player. He should be bought out or traded (with probable salary retention) for anything. Sooner or later, he'll go back to Europe and sign to play in some league over there and have a comfortable life until his career is over.
Yup, the kid who just went a PPG in the WHC and out performed other elite nhl players is done as a nhl player.

I'd still argue someone like Nyquist would be better on his line than Gusev. If Gusev is anything like Panarin, he wants the puck on his stick to make shit happen.

Reactions: Jackets16

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

How often did Panarin play on the same line as Wennberg?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Yup, the kid who just went a PPG in the WHC and out performed other elite nhl players is done as a nhl player.

I'd still argue someone like Nyquist would be better on his line than Gusev. If Gusev is anything like Panarin, he wants the puck on his stick to make **** happen.

Agreed. No chance Gusev would be on a line with Wennberg if acquired. And how often did Panarin and Wennberg play together? About 15 minutes total?

Gusev would be dishing out about 55-60 assists on a line with PLD and Cam.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agreed. No chance Gusev would be on a line with Wennberg if acquired. And how often did Panarin and Wennberg play together? About 15 minutes total?

Gusev would be dishing out about 55-60 assists on a line with PLD and Cam.
With Gusevs size I think he'd be perfect next to Dubois and his play style. And Cam is gonna get his regardless.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
A 4 million hit for an RFA offer sheet is a 2nd round draft pick that we do not have so I don't know how Jarmo can be trying to sign him for that unless Vegas has given permission to negotiate prior to doing a trade.

Oh crap i didnt wrote that right. Meant that "offer" is round 4M so i guess it means 3.750?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oh crap i didnt wrote that right. Meant that "offer" is round 4M so i guess it means 3.750?
Either way the compensation for a RFA is still a 2nd rounder on an offer sheet. The CBJ can't offer sheet anyone unless they pay over 10.5 million or less than approximately 1.4.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
2017-2018 = even strength points per game

Panarin - 0.75
Atkinson - 0.54
Wennberg - 0.44
Jones -0.42
Anderson - 0.41
Dubois - 0.40
Foligno - 0.40
Jenner - 0.39
Bjorkstrand - 0.38
Werenski - 0.35

He was also second on the team with a +22. He had 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points, +12 in 17 games in March and April. It doesn't look like he was a fourth liner or getting scratched a lot to me.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
2017-2018 = even strength points per game

Panarin - 0.75
Atkinson - 0.54
Wennberg - 0.44
Jones -0.42
Anderson - 0.41
Dubois - 0.40
Foligno - 0.40
Jenner - 0.39
Bjorkstrand - 0.38
Werenski - 0.35

He was also second on the team with a +22. He had 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points, +12 in 17 games in March and April. It doesn't look like he was a fourth liner or getting scratched a lot to me.
Two goals in March-April bringing him to a total of two goals for the year. Yep, he was ON FIRE!!!!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Has anyone ever really watched this Gusev play 10-15 times?

Relying on a 26 year old from Russia's best team to be the savior seems a bit fanciful to me.

65 assists last year, but usually in the 40 assists range. Not likely to be a world beater in the NHL based on this.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Would Al Wennberg be on the roster of the following teams? Which of these teams wouldn't have bought him out by now or traded him for virtually nothing?

1) Tampa
2) Boston
3) St. Louis
4) Washington
5) Pittsburgh
6) Nashville
7) Calgary
8) Toronto
9) Carolina
10) New Jersey
11) Vegas
12) Colorado
13) Florida
14) Chicago
15) Winnipeg

A team which is even considering relying on him as a center-any center-will not be a competitor for the Stanley Cup. Which I'm told by Mr. All In is the goal of this franchise.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Has anyone ever really watched this Gusev play 10-15 times?

Relying on a 26 year old from Russia's best team to be the savior seems a bit fanciful to me.

65 assists last year, but usually in the 40 assists range. Not likely to be a world beater in the NHL based on this.
Panarin hit 62 pts in his final KHL season before he came over.. And it was his only season in which he was a ppg

Gusev has been over a PPG for the last three seasons. The talent is there, it's a matter of will it translate to the NHL.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Panarin hit 62 pts in his final KHL season before he came over.. And it was his only season in which he was a ppg

Gusev has been over a PPG for the last three seasons. The talent is there, it's a matter of will it translate to the NHL.

Have you ever watched him play a full game?

Kovalchuk played for the same team in 2017-18 and was 31-33/63 pts in 53 games. He was 16g-18a/34 points in 64 games with the LA Kings this past season.

People are placing a hell of a lot of hope on a player who isn't even CBJ property, 26 years old and never played in North America. Who they likely have never watched play a full game let alone the 10-15 which is generally needed to form a solid opinion.

I'll pass on the hype.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Have you ever watched him play a full game?

Kovalchuk played for the same team in 2017-18 and was 31-33/63 pts in 53 games. He was 16g-18a/34 points in 64 games with the LA Kings this past season.

People are placing a hell of a lot of hope on a player who isn't even CBJ property, 26 years old and never played in North America. Who they likely have never watched play a full game let alone the 10-15 which is generally needed to form a solid opinion.

I'll pass on the hype.
I'm not gonna sit here and act like I've watched a bunch of tape, but he's won and produced everywhere but the NHL, I think it's safe to say he could perform at a similar level, hell even if he's not a ppg player he could be a 40-50pt guy and still be top 5-10 in CBJ scoring

And I don't think 36 year old Kovalchuk was the best person to bring into this conversation.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I choose to trust the long time Russian posters on the boards (not just CBJ, the whole site) who have been right about numerous players both good and bad, and if the same ones said that Panarin would be a star coming over are saying the same things now about Gusev, I'll believe them.

Reactions: Fro

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I choose to trust the long time Russian posters on the boards (not just CBJ, the whole site) who have been right about numerous players both good and bad, and if the same ones said that Panarin would be a star coming over are saying the same things now about Gusev, I'll believe them.

If you look, most of the fans hyping him up aren't the Russians. As someone who watches a lot of KHL hockey, I can unequivocally say, Gusev is no Panarin. He's a good player though and with the right attitude and a willingness to change a few parts of his game, he can carve out an NHL career. People who are getting hyped, are those that look at him atop the KHL leaderboards, without realizing just how diminished KHL hockey has become over the past 3-4 seasons. Some teams are so bad, the top ECHL teams could beat them-handedly. It's a very top heavy league, and even then the talent isn't up to snuff when compared to years passed.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know it's very cool. I know it is very cosmopolitan. I know it is chic. I know my perspective is way different than his. Manhattan is what Artemi wanted.

But I'm an Old Guy. The thought of steering myself and a dog on a leash down a sidewalk crowded with several thousand people while 2/3 of them are staring at their telephone would just drive me batty.

I'm sorry my comment added to your angst. No....really....I'm serious....I apologize. My comment was part jest and part being flippant, and part "sorry to see him go". Again, I hope your tongue is okay from the bites.

I don’t live in NYC, it’s not a favorite place to visit and this thread isn’t even about the topic. I surely get why people wouldn’t want to live there, especially if they’ve been fed through media and the overly self-important attitude of many New Yorkers that it’s a big deal and you’re sick of it. Me too.

But it’s not like Manhattan residents are trying to walk their dogs in Times Square. It’s a big city. There are plenty of neighborhoods where you can live and walk your dog and go to the grocery store without battling skyscraper employees and tourists.

Reactions: EspenK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad