Speculation: 2019 offseason thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
It would take going down to a 21 man roster just to accommodate Point at $11.5m. Is he worth that much to us?
In Lebrun article about Aho offer sheet he said that Point wouldn't sign that's why they went after Aho. Didn't elaborate why.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On the deadline deals --

I thought right away that the Kinkaid and Mcquaid deals were foolish. A 4th, a 5th, a 7th - those are not nothing assets. Our team has plenty of good players taken with picks in that range, Atkinson, Savard, Anderson, Nutivaara, Bemstrom, etc...

Kinkaid was very unlikely to be used - I don't buy that we got that much value out of just having them there for practices. You could have gotten a worse goalie that didn't cost a draft pick. And I won't give the full spiel here but the insurance argument doesn't get any further with me - we'd have a better chance of drafting the next Kucherov with that 5th rounder than having Kinkaid being part of the difference that wins us the cup.

Mcquaid I think might have just been some bad pro scouting. I thought he would be at about #9 or #10 on the depth chart, around Clendening. And judging by the playoff performances I think he was #10. Clendening and Harrington were at least as good, and Kukan was outstanding. We could have used the D depth, but it should have been a better player for that price.

Dzingel was maybe an overpay, two second rounders is a lot of value. I thought he would fit in better too, so I'm not as harsh about it. One thing that I didn't like about the deal was the Duclair throw-in. I don't think he added much value to Ottawa there, and it would have been really good to have him for the playoffs. We had an entire line of guys go ice cold. Duclair might have helped.

Duchene's price wasn't even that high for a high end rental, so no complaints there. I do think about what could have been if we got Stone instead. We needed a center but Stone easily makes up for the inconvenience of putting someone like Foligno at center. He tore through the NHL playoffs and the worlds. For my sanity, I'm going to assume that Jarmo wanted him as badly as I did, and the price was just astronomical.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Confirmed Signing with Link: - [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

Come on dooooown artemi! Were oh so happy to sign you to a cap crippling long term contract that far exceeds what you'll be worth. All while we film you in cringy vignettes where you talk in a monotone voice about how you always wanted to play here in DA GAWDEN. In the next 3 years, we anticipate you joining our hall of paid alongside the likes of
Chris Drury
Scott Gomez
Brad Richards
Wade Redden
Bobby Holik
Rick Nash.
Marc Staal
Dan Girardi
Dan Boyle
Special mention goes to Martin st louis who we paid a ton for in draft capital (while negotiating against ourselves) only to watch him go from an art ross candidate in Tampa to a (laughably immediate) post trade, 20+ game goal draught. Followed up by two lackluster seasons where he seemed to only show up in blowouts.

You see, we here at Da GAWDEN love taking on guys who will almost assuredly become bloated, disgustingly overpaid and under producing wastes of cap, so really you're timing couldnt be any better. Thank you for choosing the New York Rangers and DA GAWDEN for what were sure will be a shockingly quick spiral into old age and unproductiveness.

Now would you like our 12 year 225 million dollar contract with a NMC or just a limited NTC? 15 years you say? Oh. Oh I'm sorry, we here at DA GAWDEN get a little overzealous when trying to hand out cap crippling contracts. We forgot you can only get up to 7 years.

12 million per, you say?

Why that's money the likes of crosby or McDavid should make...a player who dominates games in every facet at a more important position, plays better D and scores more than you to boot...

So naturally we'll give you all that.

Welcome aboard, bread man!

---A not thrilled NYR fan! LOL

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In Lebrun article about Aho offer sheet he said that Point wouldn't sign that's why they went after Aho. Didn't elaborate why.

Yeah probably because Bergevin still thinks it's 2012 and doesn't know how much players cost.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Since Duchene thread is closed, posting here ... I am genuinely curious if the "investment property" he bought in Nashville really will be his home and not an Air B&B. Not important or anything. Is a little funny to me.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Does anybody want Ryan Dzingel? He must be asking for the moon and by the looks of it, teams are telling him...no thanks.

I feel kinda bad for him. He was so happy to get traded here and now he probably wishes it never happened more than anything else in the world. I think he lost a lot of money in only two months here, compared to if he just rode out the season in Ottawa.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Does anybody want Ryan Dzingel? He must be asking for the moon and by the looks of it, teams are telling him...no thanks.

He'll get a deal somewhere, I think it would be smart of him to go to Edmonton or Chicago on a 1 or 2 year deal to boost his value with McDavid/Kane.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I feel kinda bad for him. He was so happy to get traded here and now he probably wishes it never happened more than anything else in the world. I think he lost a lot of money in only two months here, compared to if he just rode out the season in Ottawa.

On the other hand, he had a great chance to make more money by being worth a damn on the playoff stage. Goes both ways. He looked petrified when the games started to really matter.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
We all know why he chose Florida . Fan and front office criticism about him folding when it mattered most , got to him . So he went to the place that would foolishly pay him that ridiculous contract , and the few hundred in attendance will probably be happy if they just get in the playoffs , with their lack of success of late
He pretty much admitted as much in the Athletic article and on the interview with Sirius XM

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Confirmed Signing with Link: - [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

Come on dooooown artemi! Were oh so happy to sign you to a cap crippling long term contract that far exceeds what you'll be worth. All while we film you in cringy vignettes where you talk in a monotone voice about how you always wanted to play here in DA GAWDEN. In the next 3 years, we anticipate you joining our hall of paid alongside the likes of
Chris Drury
Scott Gomez
Brad Richards
Wade Redden
Bobby Holik
Rick Nash.
Marc Staal
Dan Girardi
Dan Boyle
Special mention goes to Martin st louis who we paid a ton for in draft capital (while negotiating against ourselves) only to watch him go from an art ross candidate in Tampa to a (laughably immediate) post trade, 20+ game goal draught. Followed up by two lackluster seasons where he seemed to only show up in blowouts.

You see, we here at Da GAWDEN love taking on guys who will almost assuredly become bloated, disgustingly overpaid and under producing wastes of cap, so really you're timing couldnt be any better. Thank you for choosing the New York Rangers and DA GAWDEN for what were sure will be a shockingly quick spiral into old age and unproductiveness.

Now would you like our 12 year 225 million dollar contract with a NMC or just a limited NTC? 15 years you say? Oh. Oh I'm sorry, we here at DA GAWDEN get a little overzealous when trying to hand out cap crippling contracts. We forgot you can only get up to 7 years.

12 million per, you say?

Why that's money the likes of crosby or McDavid should make...a player who dominates games in every facet at a more important position, plays better D and scores more than you to boot...

So naturally we'll give you all that.

Welcome aboard, bread man!

---A not thrilled NYR fan! LOL
This is brilliant

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
There's been a lot of discussion about losing the big 4 UFAs. However, if we think about the actual team from last year we really only lose 2. Bob and Bread. 80+% of the season was played without Duchene and Dzingel. The team was awful after the deadline until the last 6-8 games. Nyquist isn't Bread but if Bjork and Andy grow even a little and Nyquist is his typical self this is a competitive team. If the locker room was a mess at times... who knows. We need solid goaltending and a step from the kids. I think the Metro is weaker than last year overall. I also think another move is coming. That defense...yowza. it should be top 5 and especially good at moving the puck. Again, goaltending is the biggest question for me.

Sorry posted in two locations

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I mean Florida has us beaten in every department except on defense

Quick poll, what would you (AND others) rather want in response to this post...?

A) clever and sarcastic comment about games in hand

B) passive (but mainly) aggressive comment about top 6 forwards

C) 3 paragraph long sarcastic and passive aggressive rant asking what year it is and what you want to drink to wash down the crow

The Columbus Blue Jackets are a better hockey team than the Florida Panthers. Period. Next year, along with the past 3 years.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Quick poll, what would you (AND others) rather want in response to this post...?

A) clever and sarcastic comment about games in hand

B) passive (but mainly) aggressive comment about top 6 forwards

C) 3 paragraph long sarcastic and passive aggressive rant asking what year it is and what you want to drink to wash down the crow

The Columbus Blue Jackets are a better hockey team than the Florida Panthers. Period. Next year, along with the past 3 years.

Why not all 3?

Noted.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
In Finland we have many rumours that Jarmo is trying to sign Gusev with 4M/y 4years. Is this happens cant be more than happy. Every time i have seen Gusev playing in KHL or euro hockey tour he has been amazing. He can definitely be 1st line forward in NHL

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
In Finland we have many rumours that Jarmo is trying to sign Gusev with 4M/y 4years. Is this happens cant be more than happy. Every time i have seen Gusev playing in KHL or euro hockey tour he has been amazing. He can definitely be 1st line forward in NHL
Source?

I haven't seen us linked at all except for people saying it makes sense that we'd be going after him.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I'm trying to bite my tongue on these New York posts but it's finally impossible. Do you think it's not amazing and impressive to walk your dog in Manhattan? You think the view from the Scioto comes close to that?

I know it's very cool. I know it is very cosmopolitan. I know it is chic. I know my perspective is way different than his. Manhattan is what Artemi wanted.

But I'm an Old Guy. The thought of steering myself and a dog on a leash down a sidewalk crowded with several thousand people while 2/3 of them are staring at their telephone would just drive me batty.

I'm sorry my comment added to your angst. No....really....I'm serious....I apologize. My comment was part jest and part being flippant, and part "sorry to see him go". Again, I hope your tongue is okay from the bites.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Gusev plz

I really hope Jarmo makes a move for him.

I think relying on Tex/Bemstrom is dicey. Could work out could flop

Putting him on Wennberg's wing could help Wennie. If Wennie doesn't come thru at least there is a guy with playmaking ability to pair with OB and whomever winds up at 2C.

Deal that seems to work for both teams: Nuti for Gusev & Clarkson

Other deals; future draft picks not #1's unless he re-signs and then we throw in a 1st and they throw back a 2nd or 3rd. Maybe throw in some prospects instead of picks.

I'd have to think hard about next year's first and probably wouldn't unless the deal was we get Vegas 1st in 2 years if he doesn't re-sign.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Down Goes Brown: The 20 stages of watching your team make a...

Thought this was funny:

Stage 8: You looked at the analytics

Oh lord, it’s even worse than you thought. Look at this chart, with the circles and the bar graphs and the comparables! Do you realize what this means?
No, of course, you don’t, nobody has ever understood an analytics chart. But you’re pretty sure this one is bad. Why are all the arrows going down instead of up? Why are all the comparable players members of the 1974-75 Capitals? Why is there a poop emoji where his Corsi should be? And why is everyone else’s circles red and blue, but this one over here is purple? Is purple good or bad? Some of Jack Johnson’s circles are purple, and the guy who makes these charts once tried to set Jack Johnson’s car on fire.
Oh no. This is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad