2019 Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
My guess is Lapointe will be promoted to Assistant GM if Mellanby gets this gig.

Probably yes, but will they hire someone to replace Lapointe ? They lost Dudley last year and they didn’t replace him, That would be the 2 guy who where on the pro scout/pro team. Lapointe is more on the Developpement and Timmins on the scouting.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
lol, how's that even possible? How can he be their GM and not have a contract? He's just working for free? I don't think i've ever heard that one before.

It's odd to say the least. But I do believe he is still working as the GM despite his contract being up. If I'm not mistaken, I believe GMs, coaches or any other hockey ops personnel also have their contracts end as of June 30th. Which means that ever since free agency (and the whole Aho offer sheet business), Wadell has been working without a contract.

This isn't to say he isn't getting paid. It just means he's working without a contract. But it is very unique, to say the least.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think waddell is also the president. Maybe he is making an annual salary as president, and he's just filling in the GM role for now?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Don't get me wrong...I really like Mike Johnson, he knows he's stuff, he's sharp.

But this is a pretty superficial view at the Habs.

A "win now" team?

Other then Price (31), Weber (33), Petry (31), Byron (30) & Thompson (34)

No one on this team is older then 28yrs old

The Habs have one of the youngest group of forwards in the league and have quite a few young players who will be integrated into the team in the coming months.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
lol, how's that even possible? How can he be their GM and not have a contract? He's just working for free? I don't think i've ever heard that one before.
They're talking about a closed contract which you do not need to work for a company in the real world. Guy is just a salaried employee like everyone else, which is perfectly fine and actually I prefer that for management positions by far. (No flippin golden parachutes anywhere.)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They're talking about a closed contract which you do not need to work for a company in the real world. Guy is just a salaried employee like everyone else, which is perfectly fine and actually I prefer that for management positions by far. (No flippin golden parachutes anywhere.)

Until your GM gets poached by another team because your owner thinks this is EA NHL and GMs don't matter.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Until your GM gets poached by another team because your owner thinks this is EA NHL and GMs don't matter.
Like in every domain everywhere. It's the dinosaurs in the NHL who just don't understand that individual have rights and shouldn't be restrained from accepting better life conditions. Hopefully they'll just die out in the next decade and we'll stop the guaranteed contract BS for all players as well.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Like in every domain everywhere. It's the dinosaurs in the NHL who just don't understand that individual have rights and shouldn't be restrained from accepting better life conditions. Hopefully they'll just die out in the next decade and we'll stop the guaranteed contract BS for all players as well.
Neither the NHLPA or owners will ever want that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad