2019 Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Updated the OP with the signing of Nick Cousins.

Bizarre offseason.

- Trade Shaw (after a career year? to create cap space, when the Blackhawks said he wasn't available a week for the deal?)
- Low ball Aho
- Sign another 4th liner

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bizarre offseason.

- Trade Shaw (after a career year? to create cap space, when the Blackhawks said he wasn't available a week for the deal?)
- Low Ball Aho
- Sign another 4th liner

If we're gonna go with career year for Shaw. Nick Cousins and Ben Chiarot are coming off career years. :sarcasm:

But I agree, this off-season is a bit odd.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Updated the OP with Hudon, Lehkonen, and Armia filing for arbitration today.

McCarron, who is also eligible for arbitration, didn't file any. We haven't gotten any word on if he's accepted his QO. Although the night before the draft, Bergevin was talking about him having to prove himself again at camp, which could me that he's accepted his QO and has been signed. I do find it odd that there has been no official announcement on that yet.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Who below us in the standings have gotten better this offseason?

Edmonton
Florida
New York
New Jersey
Buffalo
Philly
Chicago
Vancouver?

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
The OP is missing a few draft day trades:

Jun 22, 2019Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
montreal_canadiens.svg

2019 7th round pick (MTL - #201)
trade.svg
Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:
philadelphia_flyers.svg

2020 7th round pick (MTL)
Jun 22, 2019Florida Panthers Acquire:
florida_panthers.svg

2019 5th round pick (CHI - #136)
trade.svg
Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
montreal_canadiens.svg

2020 5th round pick (FLA)
Jun 22, 2019Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
montreal_canadiens.svg

2020 4th round pick (SJS)
trade.svg
San Jose Sharks Acquire:
san_jose_sharks.svg

2019 4th round pick (MTL - #108)
Jun 22, 2019Los Angeles Kings Acquire:
los_angeles_kings.svg

2019 2nd round pick (CBJ - #50)
trade.svg
Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
montreal_canadiens.svg

2019 3rd round pick (LAK - #64)
2019 5th round pick (LAK - #126)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'm looking forward to the meetings between the Canadiens and the Bruins. I think the Bruins fans will be in pain after their overaged and overrated team takes it on the chin. Bergeron won't be any better than he was against the Blues. Kresjci won't even be useful trade bait. Chara has been shown to be less than immortal. Thhe Habs could make the playoffs in 2020, but they will be even better in 222021 and 2022. I think the Leafs hope some team signs Marner to an offer sheet and they won't match, thereby gaining a bunch of high draft picks. I think that Bergevin's only bad move recently was to re-sign Hudon't. for whom a 10-goal season is a mountain and a 14-goal season is an Everest.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pelicans ended up in a tie 2-2. Ylönen with a goal and an assist in the game.

Khisamutdinov, Ylönen, and Ikonen all had preseason games today. All three were in the line-ups. All three lost their games and neither had any points.

Niznekamsk lost 5-1 to AK Bars Kazan.

Pelicans lost 3-2 to KHL team Sibir Novosibirsk

KalPa lost 7-1 to Karpat.

- CSKA won 2-0 against Swiss League's Lausanne. No points for Romanov.

- Skelleftea lost 4-3 against Modo in a shootout. No points for Olofsson and didn't take part in the shootout.

Chicoutimi played their first preseason game today against Baie-Comeau. Chicoutimi lost 3-2 in the shootout but neither Houde nor RHP were in the line-up.

The last week or so, despite Habs' prospects' teams in preseason action, we haven't been able to get much of the prospects as none of them were in the line-up.

Romanov wasn't in the line-up for CSKA's last two games.

Ikonen wasn't in for KalPa.

Olofsson wasn't in for Skelleftea earlier this week.

I believe Khisamutdinov wasn't in for the last two games.

Even Ylönen wasn't in for the last game or two for Pelicans.

And today, neither Houde nor RHP.

I know it's camps and there are other players they're checking out. Just like the NHL. We just haven't had anything to sink our teeth in for the last week or so.

Chicoutimi is playing again against Baie-Comeau on Tuesday. Hopefully the two Habs' prospects will be in.

Skelleftea lost 3-1 today. Olofsson without a point on the lone goal for his team.

Chicoutimi playing a pre-season game against Shawinigan. Again, neither Houde nor RHP are in the line-up.

OHL and WHL preseasons begin tonight:

Guelph Storm vs. Mississauga Steelheads. Both Hillis and Hawel are in the Storm's line-up.

Oshawa Generals vs. Kingston Frontenacs. McShane is in the line-up.

Everett Silvertips vs. Tri-City Americans. Fairbrother most likely to be in the line-up.

- Guelph lost 4-0 to Mississauga. Looking at the OHL Game Center page, neither Hillis nor Hawel were playing. However, going by this following Tweet, I thought they both were:

Guelph's official Twitter account retweeted it, so I took their word for it.

- Oshawa won 5-4 in the shootout after being down 4-2 and then tying it 4-4 with 40 seconds left in the game. McShane with no points, 2 SOG, 56% FOW.

- Everett is tied 1-1 after one period. Fairbrother with an assist on the Everett goal.

Everett ended up winning 3-2 in OT. Fairbrother had 2 assists (on the first goal and on the OT winner).

Last night's prospects in preseason action:

- Guelph Storm (5 - 7) Flint Firebirds

Cam Hillis finished the game with 2 assists, +1, 2 SOG, 69% FOW.

- Sudbury Wolves (2 - 7) Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds

Jacob LeGuerrier with 1 goal, +1, 2 SOG

- Spokane Chiefs (4 - 5) Everett Silvertips

Gianni Fairbrother with 2 assists, +4

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Russo confirms Wild asked permission to speak with Mellanby. He also adds that Mellanby will be moving to Wisconsin in a few weeks, bringing him closer to Minnesota. I believe at the moment, despite being the Habs' Assistant GM, he currently lives in St. Louis.

Other candidates that may be considered are Tom Fitzgerald and Bill Guerin, who were part of the process from last year's search for a GM before Fenton's hiring. He also lists Mark Hunter and Chris Drury as possible candidates. He even mentions they may get in touch with Don Waddell, whose contract with Carolina has expired, despite him still being their GM.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Russo confirms Wild asked permission to speak with Mellanby. He also adds that Mellanby will be moving to Wisconsin in a few weeks, bringing him closer to Minnesota. I believe at the moment, despite being the Habs' Assistant GM, he currently lives in St. Louis.

Other candidates that may be considered are Tom Fitzgerald and Bill Guerin, who were part of the process from last year's search for a GM before Fenton's hiring. He also lists Mark Hunter and Chris Drury as possible candidates. He even mentions they may get in touch with Don Waddell, whose contract with Carolina has expired, despite him still being their GM.

So will Bergevin hire a new Assistant GM or if it’s Lapointe, a new guy in his staff ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad