Value of: 2019 Offer Sheets

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The thing is, out of all the players we have, I think Marner has zero intention of playing anywhere but Toronto. This kid bleeds blue and white, and I could see him signing for 9.5.... which is not pennies either.

I can't imagine him allowing himself to go elsewhere, and he is super close to his family.

I agree with you. Marner certainly can see the financial and other benefits of being a life time Leafs, especially one that has been on successful team. As Bobby Baun says, "Scoring that goal on a broken leg, I never had to pay for a meal in Toronto again."

Reactions: DanM

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I say it's dumb because what if someone comes with a $13M offer sheet? It's certainly not dumb for Marner to wait, I'm just saying Dubas needs to get it done before the chance of an offer sheet.

Haven't you just proven that Marner will wait till past July 1st? Marner doesn't care about Dubas's time line.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I agree with you. Marner certainly can see the financial and other benefits of being a life time Leafs, especially one that has been on successful team. As Bobby Baun says, "Scoring that goal on a broken leg, I never had to pay for a meal in Toronto again."

Exactly

Also, let's say 10m per year is something he wants, if the Leafs said 9.5 will allow us to build a better team, MM is not going to sit out and potentially not be a Leaf for 500,000.

Could I see AM or anybody doing that, sure, but MM has a real connection to Toronto, just like JT.

Problem is that many posters on HF boards talk out of their asses, and many do not live in Toronto, do not understand the special connection players like MM and JT have to it, and just yell crap like "Mitch Marner will ask for 12 million blah blah blah" and a lot of it comes from hating the team and hoping for failure, which if it helps them feel better, by all means.

The reality is not a single person in the media, HF Boards, or around the league know what MM wants, only the man himself knows. What we do know is that he bleeds blue and white since birth, loves it here, and loves being close to his family.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Because a guy like the bread man would come in cheaper (so you save a million or two) and you still get 4 first round draft picks.

That situation is way better than one player getting too much.

My point is, you can still have a great player in his place, and have the chance to pick in the lottery 4 times (depending on the team who offer sheets, and if an offer sheet happens)

I am all about seeing the team do well long term.
What are you even basing this on ? I see panarin get 11 per. And I see him getting it on Florida where he’s been rumoured to be going all year with his friends bob and dadanov

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Exactly

Also, let's say 10m per year is something he wants, if the Leafs said 9.5 will allow us to build a better team, MM is not going to sit out and potentially not be a Leaf for 500,000.

Could I see AM or anybody doing that, sure, but MM has a real connection to Toronto, just like JT.

I was born in 1954 in Toronto. Those Cup winners from the 1960s are immortalized in Toronto. Good/great players like Sittler, Clarke, Gilmour and Sundin are idolized in LeafLand despite not winning a Cup.
A life long career as Leaf, makes a player immortal in these parts. As you suggest, there has to pay some financial and other benefits even if means taking a hometown discount in actually salary.

I'm amazed when some folks think athletes are so much different than other folks. There are millions of people in North America I bet who have turned down more money to work in place where they really want to be. Maybe these people don't want to work shift work,,,for family reasons, or they don't want to take a job that involves too much travel reasons...for family reasons. Or people don't want to take out of town promotions because it would affect their spouse's career, their kids schooling or maybe they have aging parents that need their help.

Just saying, that as you suggested, it isn't always about squeezing out the last dollar.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
What are you even basing this on ? I see panarin get 11 per. And I see him getting it on Florida where he’s been rumoured to be going all year with his friends bob and dadanov

I just picked a name, it could be whoever, just an impact player.

My point is we don't have to keep MM and we can also trade that asset or take picks for an offer sheet on that asset, and still use the cap to sign another player.

What we don't have to do is pay him whatever he wants, nobody is forced to spend money.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I was born in 1954 in Toronto. Those Cup winners from the 1960s are immortalized in Toronto. Good/great players like Sittler, Clarke, Gilmour and Sundin are idolized in LeafLand despite not winning a Cup.
A life long career as Leaf, makes a player immortal in these parts. As you suggest, there has to pay some financial and other benefits even if means taking a hometown discount in actually salary.

I'm amazed when some folks think athletes are so much different than other folks. There are millions of people in North America I bet who have turned down more money to work in place where they really want to be. Maybe these people don't want to work shift work,,,for family reasons, or they don't want to take a job that involves too much travel reasons...for family reasons. Or people don't want to take out of town promotions because it would affect their spouse's career, their kids schooling or maybe they have aging parents that need their help.

Just saying, that as you suggested, it isn't always about squeezing out the last dollar.

Very good post, and very well thought out.

It's a shame many posters do not think the same way you do :thumbu:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Pretty sure the difference between what MM deserves and what you'd like to think you will get him to sign for could pay for every meal he's ever going to eat again several times over.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If MM's agent allows him to sign before at least hearing offers, he should fire himself immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad