Value of: 2019 Offer Sheets

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why is Dubas (and it's Leaf organization) dumb with your silly July 1st deadline? Isn't Marner smart not to sign before July 1st and see if there are other options? It's just dumb to think that the Leafs can strong arm Marner before July 1st.
Fact, Marner has his time table also, which probably isn't the same as yours.

The thing is, out of all the players we have, I think Marner has zero intention of playing anywhere but Toronto. This kid bleeds blue and white, and I could see him signing for 9.5.... which is not pennies either.

I can't imagine him allowing himself to go elsewhere, and he is super close to his family.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I will qualify my statement by adding that I hate both teams. But the reason why it makes sense, to me, at least, is this. The Leafs stole JT. Lou worked for the Leafs. Even if you didn't actually want MM, an offer that is uncomfortable, but matchable is the chaos grenade you can lob into the Toronto foxhole that causes them alot of problems. The Media there is a sunbeam through a magnifying glass that will second guess then either way. Being that this game is chess, you make them match an offer now, it keeps them from keeping a guy 3 or 4 years from now. If there's one guy you give 4 firsts for right now, I think the conversation begins and ends at Mitch Marner. You have a good team right now. It's not four top 5 picks. It's four 15-25 picks. If you get him he's a great player. If you don't you've thrown the wedge in the Toronto organization that could topple the whole house of cards. That's a no lose in my opinion.

Or we could still take the picks and turn around and offer sheet Barzel. Or we could take the 4 picks from whoever and offer sheet another teams star player, and sweeten it with giving them millions up front with signing bonuses.

Sure it would suck to lose Mitch, but we can also do the same thing to another player, and offer them better contract structure as we basically print money.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Until we actually see an offersheet make it through, I am sticking with the well founded belief that THESE DO NOT HAPPEN ANYMORE! It is pure fantasy, and not even great fantasy because they just never happen. Last one that went through was Dustin Penner, and he wasn't exactly a ground-breaking name to boot!

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Why is Dubas (and it's Leaf organization) dumb with your silly July 1st deadline? Isn't Marner smart not to sign before July 1st and see if there are other options? It's just dumb to think that the Leafs can strong arm Marner before July 1st.
Fact, Marner has his time table also, which probably isn't the same as yours.
I say it's dumb because what if someone comes with a $13M offer sheet? It's certainly not dumb for Marner to wait, I'm just saying Dubas needs to get it done before the chance of an offer sheet.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The thing is, out of all the players we have, I think Marner has zero intention of playing anywhere but Toronto. This kid bleeds blue and white, and I could see him signing for 9.5.... which is not pennies either.

I can't imagine him allowing himself to go elsewhere, and he is super close to his family.
I don't think 9.5 is a bad number if you're just going to buy out some RFA years. I know Matthews got a better deal, but 9.5 over a shorter period of time might work for Marner. Marner should absolutely not take 9.5 over 7/8 years.

I wonder how many players in the last 6 years were had an offer sheet and didn't sign, if any. Do those get announced public ally if it takes place?

Reactions: DanM

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
No way Marner takes less than double digits if the Leafs intend to kill some of his UFA years in this contract. If it just covers his RFA years, maybe he'll take 9.5.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Or we could still take the picks and turn around and offer sheet Barzel. Or we could take the 4 picks from whoever and offer sheet another teams star player, and sweeten it with giving them millions up front with signing bonuses.

Sure it would suck to lose Mitch, but we can also do the same thing to another player, and offer them better contract structure as we basically print money.
The offer for a 10m contract is 2 firsts, a second and a third. You tell me everyone is going to play nice there?Please explain how he doesn't make at least 10M because of that fact, and how you aren't just as screwed if you have three guys making 10m+ as you are if you have three guys making 11m+. Also, even if you got 4 firsts, you need to use your own picks to offer sheet a player so they are irrelevant, and even if you used your own, you're still in a place where you have three forwards eating what, 40% of your cap? Screwedville. Whether the guy that puts you there is Marner or Barzal doesn't really matter, does it? You've got the sameproblem the Blackhawks had with JT/Kane but worse. You can't afford decent depth and even if you have a home grown guy you're going to have an issue when his ELC expires.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
People love talking about norms when it comes to offer sheets but they neglect talking about how norms are changing as well, particularly with regards to RFAs. People don't retaliate against actions within the norm.

Furthermore, I would say the pitch has certainly been raised this compared to previous years.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Entirely up to Marleau given his nmc.

Limited option given that the California teams two are retooling and don’t have need of and old guy and you have SJ who have moved in from his him.
So what happens if they try to screw with him and he flat out retires? Over 35 contracts still count 100% right?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
There is only one person on that list with any remote chance of being offer sheeted, Marner. Point will be re-signed by Tampa, Karlsson will be back in Vegas, and the rest will be resigned or in some cases traded away. Marner is the only one that will have a serious problem getting the contract he wants from his team, which will lead to offer sheets. Toronto has no way out of their Matthews mess without destroying their team.
lol 'destroying'

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Yeah I agree with the 'not gonna happen' camp. Guys like Marner would be matched up to say 10.5 and after the team needs that much space and to lose 4 unprotected 1sts. Must be pretty confident to give those up. Toronto takes that and is probably in a better position. (1sts, plus cap space to go after a bigger positional need)
Guys like Johnsson and Kapanen could definitely give Toronto problems but guys like this seem easy enough to find without going this route.

The Lou gangsta move that some believe could happen would actually be pretty funny. Straight retaliatory!

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
That feeling when your own coach thinks you have a better chance of winning with a one legged Hyman than a fully health Matthews.
Yeah that's a fair point....but it reflects what an idiot Babcock has become rather than anything else

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lou should be the one who breaks the cease fire. A predatory offer sheet to Marner from the Islanders would be Corleone-esque. The Isles had a great season, theu have the picks, they have the cap room, and it gives their franchise player Barzal a fantastic linemate. Not to mention is would be the most gangster revenge on the history of this league.
Not that I expect it to happen but if a GM wanted to do a predatory OS against the Leafs the best targets would be Kapanen and Johnsson. 3 years @ 4M for either player means a 2nd round pick and the Leafs would be hard pressed to match.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If you're going to be the guy who breaks the cease fire, why go small? Your rep is going to suffer the same either way, you may as well make it worth it.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The offer for a 10m contract is 2 firsts, a second and a third. You tell me everyone is going to play nice there?Please explain how he doesn't make at least 10M because of that fact, and how you aren't just as screwed if you have three guys making 10m+ as you are if you have three guys making 11m+. Also, even if you got 4 firsts, you need to use your own picks to offer sheet a player so they are irrelevant, and even if you used your own, you're still in a place where you have three forwards eating what, 40% of your cap? Screwedville. Whether the guy that puts you there is Marner or Barzal doesn't really matter, does it? You've got the sameproblem the Blackhawks had with JT/Kane but worse. You can't afford decent depth and even if you have a home grown guy you're going to have an issue when his ELC expires.

I will say this, if somebody sends an 11 million dollar offer sheet at us, we should take the 4 draft picks and go after a player like the bread man, or another big free agent.

We would not only still have another great player to fill Marners shoes, but we would have 4 first round draft picks as well, kinda win win if Marner wants too much money.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I will say this, if somebody sends an 11 million dollar offer sheet at us, we should take the 4 draft picks and go after a player like the bread man, or another big free agent.

We would not only still have another great player to fill Marners shoes, but we would have 4 first round draft picks as well, kinda win win if Marner wants too much money.
How does that solve anything? You have the second pajama kid already on your team. Toronto boy, loves the Leafs. If youre to spend the money on Panarin, isn't that a slap to the face that you wouldn't give it to the hometown boy who bleeds blue and outperformed the guy you brought in to replace him?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How does that solve anything? You have the second pajama kid already on your team. Toronto boy, loves the Leafs. If youre to spend the money on Panarin, isn't that a slap to the face that you wouldn't give it to the hometown boy who bleeds blue and outperformed the guy you brought in to replace him?

Because a guy like the bread man would come in cheaper (so you save a million or two) and you still get 4 first round draft picks.

That situation is way better than one player getting too much.

My point is, you can still have a great player in his place, and have the chance to pick in the lottery 4 times (depending on the team who offer sheets, and if an offer sheet happens)

I am all about seeing the team do well long term.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
LOL at the bolded

That is never happening, and actually Z was good down the stretch and great in the playoffs with Muzzin.

He is just not the D you want rushing up the ice, but he can be solid in his zone if need be.

But his deal was signed to quickly for sure.

GL getting rid of him then buddy.

4.5M for that term, for a bottom pairing D, knowing precedents (like Bickell for example), you'll have to hand out a top prospect. Unfortnately, Leafs 1st are not good, AND they have 2 good prospect ion their system, Liljegren and Sandin.

SO yah, one of these 2 guys will need to be atatch to that horrible contract. Your other assets aren't good enough to make a GM pull the triger on somethign as horrible as this.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
Kapanen and Johnsson on the Leafs seem like good candidates for the team offersheeting because the compensation is not huge for the $ they'd sign for, and because neither is a talent that dictates the Leafs would automatically match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad