Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I believe the organization had planned for Erne to fill this role. I also hoped he would, but after two seasons in Syracuse realized it was not to be for Erne. Ferland appears to be the closest out there as an FA, but Tampa does have the assets to look the trade route as an option as well.
I'm not opposed to this line of discussion, but I brought the Red Wings comparison up more because they had quite a bit of grit (that they applied in actual games), which seems to have been taken out of the equation when Yzerman was GM. Colorado/Detroit anyone?

I don't think that directly copying a team from 20-years ago in a different era is completely wise, but looking at the playoff game now, there's still something to be said for grit (and will) on top of talent.

Even when we aren't getting the calls (frequent), we need guys to block shots on the PK.

What does Jeff Marek say? Better to tame a tiger than to paint stripes on a kitty cat.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
My plan...in no particular order

1). Trade McDonough for cost controlled assets
2) sign Point to a bridge deal. Negotiate hard, I don’t believe any team is going to sign him to a mega deal AND give up the assets necessary for a RFA.
3) sign EK
4) Trade Cally with whatever draft capital it takes to move his full salary.
5) Move two forwards. Worst case move Miller and Guorde who have no protection yet. We can only hope Palat and Killer will play ball.
6) sign or acquire the rights to Ferland. Maybe while moving one or two of the above.
7) Resign Paquette

Lines
Stammer-Cirelli-Ferland
TJ-Point-Kuch
Joseph-Paquette-one of who’s left
Figure out the 4th line later

D pairings
Heddy-Cernek
Serge-EK
Not sure on 3rd pairing but something inexpensive

Vassy
Dom
Can I ask you if the last free spot can be occupied by a veteran...? :) :) :)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My plan...in no particular order

1). Trade McDonough for cost controlled assets
2) sign Point to a bridge deal. Negotiate hard, I don’t believe any team is going to sign him to a mega deal AND give up the assets necessary for a RFA.
3) sign EK
4) Trade Cally with whatever draft capital it takes to move his full salary.
5) Move two forwards. Worst case move Miller and Guorde who have no protection yet. We can only hope Palat and Killer will play ball.
6) sign or acquire the rights to Ferland. Maybe while moving one or two of the above.
7) Resign Paquette

Lines
Stammer-Cirelli-Ferland
TJ-Point-Kuch
Joseph-Paquette-one of who’s left
Figure out the 4th line later

D pairings
Heddy-Cernek
Serge-EK
Not sure on 3rd pairing but something inexpensive

Vassy
Dom

Ryan McDonagh was 6th in the league in ES scoring this season. Sergachev had more ES points than Karlsson this year, yes Karlsson missed a lot of time. Which is another point in that he hasn't been healthy in several years, we already have one Swede D who can't stay healthy, and his production has been slowly declining. Karlsson will also want probably 3mil more than McDonagh and they are only 1 year apart in age so not like he's much younger.

And Ferland wants Evander Kane money and term so that's a huge no.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well, Kuch has had a lot of success in the playoffs before BUT it was always with TKO. So you have to wonder how much Palat's game, back then, was helping. Because Palat used to play a game that created space via physicality, even if I wouldn't go so far as to call it "heavy."

I thought TJ was the guy who carried that line not Palat. TJ wearing a cape is the big reason we made it out of the early rounds in years past and him not wearing a cape is a big reason why we got swept this time.

Kucherov did the bulk of his damage in the playoffs by being a goal scorer, not a distributor. Would have had a lot more success if he brought that mentality this time around.

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
In your lineup, in the third line, we've to put another player, with Joseph and Paquette.
I really hope that this guy will be a veteran, who has won the Cup in the past :)
We don’t really have players that have won cups, but I’m assuming one of the vets that are not traded. Miller, Guorde, Palat, or Killer.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
We don’t really have players that have won cups, but I’m assuming one of the vets that are not traded. Miller, Guorde, Palat, or Killer.
If it's possible, I want to acquire a veteran, during the summer. Maybe with a trade.
Maybe after moving Palat (he played really bad this season), we'll be able to do that.
PS: I don't believe in EK, to be honest :)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I just hope Hedman gets back to Norris Hedman his season. McD was our best defenceman this season. Also, I really don't understand Coop not resting some of our guys when we already had home ice locked up with like 8 games to go or something. It inevitably cost us Hedman and Stralman for the PO

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If it's possible, I want to acquire a veteran, during the summer. Maybe with a trade.
Maybe after moving Palat (he played really bad this season), we'll be able to do that.
PS: I don't believe in EK, to be honest :)
Fair enough. I’m hoping his ability to put pucks on net will unlock the playoff offense.

As for Palat I’m all for dealing him. But he has to be willing.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Fair enough. I’m hoping his ability to put pucks on net will unlock the playoff offense.

As for Palat I’m all for dealing him. But he has to be willing.
It'll be very hard to move Palat for 2 reasons: he's the NTC now and then, also in case he waives it, it's hard to bring in Tampa someone good in return...
Your idea about EK and the offense is very good.
But I think he'll ask a big salary and, in the same time, BriseBois won't trade McDonagh...so, to acquire him, we need a big discount...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just hope Hedman gets back to Norris Hedman his season. McD was our best defenceman this season. Also, I really don't understand Coop not resting some of our guys when we already had home ice locked up with like 8 games to go or something. It inevitably cost us Hedman and Stralman for the PO

Stralman maybe, but not Hedman. Hedman's injury was a freak accident.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I thought TJ was the guy who carried that line not Palat. TJ wearing a cape is the big reason we made it out of the early rounds in years past and him not wearing a cape is a big reason why we got swept this time.

Kucherov did the bulk of his damage in the playoffs by being a goal scorer, not a distributor. Would have had a lot more success if he brought that mentality this time around.

I know. But even in the case of TJ, both he and Kucherov have had their best moments when Palat was playing an effective game, digging out pucks and whatnot.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I know. But even in the case of TJ, both he and Kucherov have had their best moments when Palat was playing an effective game, digging out pucks and whatnot.

Crazy to think Point was that much of a downgrade on Palat, but that line had too much perimeter play to be effective. Playoffs are a different animal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Crazy to think was that much of a downgrade on Palat.

I don't think it was entirely Palat, don't get me wrong. But I do think he complemented both of them really well, and maybe he was a bigger factor in the playoffs than we realized. I mean, there's a lot of talk about acquiring a big body player for the top-six, and, while Palat's not a typical PF, he did once upon a time fill that role. Or at least was our closest thing to a guy who could fill that role.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I don't think it was entirely Palat, don't get me wrong. But I do think he complemented both of them really well, and maybe he was a bigger factor in the playoffs than we realized. I mean, there's a lot of talk about acquiring a big body player for the top-six, and, while Palat's not a typical PF, he did once upon a time fill that role. Or at least was our closest thing to a guy who could fill that role.
Maybe so, but since he can’t do it anymore the Lightning need a replacement. Palat either needs to be moved, if willing, or stapled to the bottom 6.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
how many games did he do that this year? i dont know if he checked out? I dont know if he is injured? I dont know if he doesnt care? but i can count games on one hand he impressed me till we screamed for his head in social media... im over it either give what you got or go somewhere else

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe so, but since he can’t do it anymore the Lightning need a replacement. Palat either needs to be moved, if willing, or stapled to the bottom 6.

I think maybe acquiring another guy and keeping Palat in the bottom-six, unless he earns something bigger, might be the way to go. But I have no idea who would even be available for a trade right now. I don't think paying Ferland 7m or whatever he wants is the answer.

I just not sure we should give up entirely on Palat. It's a little troubling that we haven't seen "Dr. Drej" since he signed the contract though.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
You're talking about Ferland and his (probably) high salary request.
In your opinion, build a trade to acquire Reaves, can it be a good idea?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yup. He probably asked his buddies if they wanted the record instead of being their boss and resting guys.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Why would Vegas move Reaves. Ferland ain't happening. We have to buy low on someone, kind of like the Pens and previously the Hawks have been doing.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Why would Vegas move Reaves. Ferland ain't happening. We have to buy low on someone, kind of like the Pens and previously the Hawks have been doing.

If Vegas gets offered like a 2nd round pick they would accept that.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't know what you guys are going on about....

Reaves has 3 points in 51 postseason games. Not sure where the Ferland love is coming from either, no points in his last 7 postseason games. I understand the want for physical goal scorers, but it's important not to forget about the goal scoring part of that. Those two clearly haven't shown that they can contribute on the score sheet.

Look, if the desire is for us to inject some power forward play into the lineup, we've got a damn good one down in Syracuse who barely missed the training camp cut in Volkov. Katchouk(not as skilled), Stephens(not as big), and Raddysh(not as gritty) also fill that role in some capacity.

Put me in the camp that wants to jettison some of these second tier complimentary forwards, but if we are going to sell our house because we don't like the neighborhood, let's not move in next door.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I don't know what you guys are going on about....

Reaves has 3 points in 51 postseason games. Not sure where the Ferland love is coming from either, no points in his last 7 postseason games. I understand the want for physical goal scorers, but it's important not to forget about the goal scoring part of that. Those two clearly haven't shown that they can contribute on the score sheet.

Look, if the desire is for us to inject some power forward play into the lineup, we've got a damn good one down in Syracuse who barely missed the training camp cut in Volkov. Katchouk(not as skilled), Stephens(not as big), and Raddysh(not as gritty) also fill that role in some capacity.

Put me in the camp that wants to jettison some of these second tier complimentary forwards, but if we are going to sell our house because we don't like the neighborhood, let's not move in next door.
I've read lots of post about Ferland...and so I've thought Reaves can be cheaper that the Carolina guy...
I'm curious to see the "Crunchers" to be honest. And Volkov can be a very good add for our roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad