Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cooper likes having a shutdown duo he can throw out there on a whim, will be interesting to see if he breaks up the McDonagh-Cernak pair or not. Would not be surprised at all to see Sergachev with Hedman just so that he can keep our studly second pairing together.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to have 3 lines of effective and responsible D man where we don't need baby sitters. If Serge can carry a line and Coburn can stay pace with last year, having them play 17 or 18 minutes a game would be nice.

Hedman - Cernak: 20~ish
McDonagh - Shattenkirk: 19~ish
Coburn - Sergachev 18 minutes.

Leaves about 3 minutes to spread.

One thing we haven't talked about is our PK deployment for the season?

Like it has to be Coburn for the 4th D on the PK right?

Hedman - Coburn
McDonagh - Cernak

Or some combination of the 4?

We are assuming that the PP will be along the lines of

Hedman on PP1/Shattenkirk on PP1/Hedman - Shattenkirk on PP1
Sergachev on PP2/Sergachev - Shattenkirk on PP2/Shattenkirk on PP2

Seems right?

Seems right

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to have 3 lines of effective and responsible D man where we don't need baby sitters. If Serge can carry a line and Coburn can stay pace with last year, having them play 17 or 18 minutes a game would be nice.

Hedman - Cernak: 20~ish
McDonagh - Shattenkirk: 19~ish
Coburn - Sergachev 18 minutes.

Leaves about 3 minutes to spread.

One thing we haven't talked about is our PK deployment for the season?

Like it has to be Coburn for the 4th D on the PK right?

Hedman - Coburn
McDonagh - Cernak

Or some combination of the 4?

We are assuming that the PP will be along the lines of

Hedman on PP1/Shattenkirk on PP1/Hedman - Shattenkirk on PP1
Sergachev on PP2/Sergachev - Shattenkirk on PP2/Shattenkirk on PP2

Seems right?

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about PK deployment on D. We have four servicable guys, + Sergachev hopefully.

If Sergachev grows into a net neutral D in his own end, he's a homerun, IMO. He should be a guy who can get 30+ 5v5 points, usually, as he comes into his own.

I think the clock is only running a bit because of the upcoming contract. His name value, probably because he was drafted by MTL, still outweighs his actual on-ice value. So he can point to 30+ points and ask for 4+ million, but there's no way we can give him that unless he takes that next big step this year. And he might.

I think McDonagh and Cernak will get a few extra minutes because, no matter what the starting pairings on, I think we'll go with them a few times in most games when we need a big shutdown shift. We know we have that in our pocket now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Love me some hockey guy. I do agree with him on Sergachev. I think this is the season we take the training wheels off him and see exactly what we've got.

Weird thing: I opened the video, and, first thing I thought: His handwriting is identical to mine.

Reactions: Master P

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Thankfully this is the day for Chase members to buy tickets early. Picked out the stinking Crapitols in December and the Flames in February. I can not wait to see this team this season. IT's time boys, let's do it!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Thankfully this is the day for Chase members to buy tickets early. Picked out the stinking Crapitols in December and the Flames in February. I can not wait to see this team this season. IT's time boys, let's do it!

Im getting pumped too. I know I was feeling like the regular season lost a lot of its flavor after the quick sweep but I miss watching hockey every other night. As much as the end of the season sucked, the team was a lot of fun to watch otherwise... :rolleyes:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Im getting pumped too. I know I was feeling like the regular season lost a lot of its flavor after the quick sweep but I miss watching hockey every other night. As much as the end of the season sucked, the team was a lot of fun to watch otherwise... :rolleyes:

Yup, the good news about the Bucs is it is practice for my liver until a winner hits the ice.:hit:

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Unfortunately the goalie trade market can be very fickle! And it would appear that right now, there is no real demand for back-up goalies. Come start of training camp, as injuries happen, a team may be more desperate to make a move! So that being said, Point and Erne may agree to deals before they are actually signed if roster number is a problem!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
There's a rumor thread up on the trade boards that the Flames are looking for a stopgap (my interpretation).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The McElhinny signing might come back to bite us if we can't find a home for Dom. It sounded like they wanted to trade him somewhere where he'd have a shot at a starting position.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The McElhinny signing might come back to bite us if we can't find a home for Dom. It sounded like they wanted to trade him somewhere where he'd have a shot at a starting position.

Dom wasnt that bad. I know he let some goals in but when we needed him to shut the door to win the game, he usually did. I bet his 3rd period stats arent that bad.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dom wasnt that bad. I know he let some goals in but when we needed him to shut the door to win the game, he usually did. I bet his 3rd period stats arent that bad.
He was a lock for one bad goal, and the time Vasi was out was nerve-wracking because he could be really shaky, but as a backup, he's fine.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

The whole league is in gridlock over the 20 RFA's (whatever it is) trying to win $50 million contracts while the cap barely went up. Dom can be moved but it's not gonna be any time soon until someone (Probably Marner) just gets the damn thing over with. Dom is probably the last thing on anyone's mind

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The whole league is in gridlock over the 20 RFA's (whatever it is) trying to win $50 million contracts while the cap barely went up. Dom can be moved but it's not gonna be any time soon until someone (Probably Marner) just gets the damn thing over with. Dom is probably the last thing on anyone's mind
Yeah, but if we're at 49 contracts, one or two have to go.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, but if we're at 49 contracts, one or two have to go.

It'll happen. Someone's bound to take Dom. It's just order of operations and nothing really else. Once the market sets we will get a suitor. Point's deal has probably been done for some time. You don't extend Vasy to THAT deal and then go and sign Shattenkirk unless you have a number. If I'm wrong then JBB has a brass set between his legs and is being bold doing all this without extending a franchise center first

I think we will see a domino effect come into play once we get the deal for Dom done

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It'll happen. Someone's bound to take Dom. It's just order of operations and nothing really else. Once the market sets we will get a suitor. Point's deal has probably been done for some time. You don't extend Vasy to THAT deal and then go and sign Shattenkirk unless you have a number. If I'm wrong then JBB has a brass set between his legs and is being bold doing all this without extending a franchise center first

I think we will see a domino effect come into play once we get the deal for Dom done

Might actually be Erne with a deal in place, but we can't have Erne's contract take us to 50 with Point left unsigned.

I agree that the Shattenkirk signing means we're pretty confident about where Point will land, but I doubt it's done.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was a lock for one bad goal, and the time Vasi was out was nerve-wracking because he could be really shaky, but as a backup, he's fine.

I mean I get it, he’s an upgrade and he will make it easier on our guys when Vasi isn’t in there. I just wonder how much.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad