Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why else would he be wasting Pavelski's time? You think either party is gonna schedule this visit if we were just gonna offer him signing on the cheap?

I think there is plans to trade another contract because of how much space we currently have. Unless we are bridging Point to an absurd contract, I dont see how there is room for him, Pavelski, and our other RFAs we still need to sign.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Doesnt mean that Dallas wont out bid us, but I HIGHLY doubt both sides would waste their time with this visit unless some general parameters were understood.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Courtesy? We don't know who approached who though.
I dont know anything, but usually the courtesy move in business when you think your terms could be far apart is to say: "I dont want to waste your time, but..."

Not allow people to go through the process for no reason. If we only have 3M to spend and a 7M player wants to speak with you, you.let them know ahead of time.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Operating with a lower cap for the next 3 years makes them less likely to fill the holes they need to fill in order to make the playoffs in the next two years. They really need a defenseman. It's a small step toward giving us a lottery pick in 2021.
giphy.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont know anything, but usually the courtesy move in business when you think your terms could be far apart is to say: "I dont want to waste your time, but..."

Not allow people to go through the process for no reason. If we only have 3M to spend and a 7M player wants to speak with you, you.let them know ahead of time.

It's probably legit. I think we'd pay to get Callahan's contract all the way off the books if it meant signing someone like this. And we still have a few days to pull the trigger on Gourde, if need be.

I think a lot of balls are still in the air.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It's probably legit. I think we'd pay to get Callahan's contract all the way off the books if it meant signing someone like this. And we still have a few days to pull the trigger on Gourde, if need be.

I think a lot of balls are still in the air.
Agreed. There had to be some general understanding of conditions before they would schedule this visit.

Good sign for fans that would like them to add.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Was just reading through 31 thoughts and was a little shocked to see this:

The Oilers are exploring everywhere for wingers: from Brett Connolly to Tanev to AHL MVP Daniel Carr. Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

Did I miss something before this? Were we ever linked to this guy before?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Yeah WTF? I never saw us tied to Pool Party...depending on how cheap the deal could be, would be interesting to explore. Although I don't see where he would play.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

They'd be silly not to at least talk to Edmonton, but I think this is just him tossing out places he could fit.

I'm not on the "no hockey media personality is reliable" kick that HF is on, but I always take these articles as just him kind of tossing things out there that he's heard or that he thinks without doing much fact finding.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wait.... we got mentioned in the same breath as Pool Party?

Ruh ruh Raggie. Not even for 2 boxes of Scooby Snacks. Send that kid to Finland and don't look back. Bum hips, can't play with RNH or McDavid, can't play on the bottom line, doesn't want to go to the AHL and his on ice moves consist of standing in front of the net like a child holding his mother's hand in line.

I watch the Oilers almost as much as Tampa because I'm not gonna miss McDavid. JP is no bueno dudes.

Edit: If we DO in fact trade for him send him to Finland for at least the next 1-2 years and let him get his confidence back. I'm not gonna say his development was handled well but it's just as much on Jesse was it was Edmonton

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah WTF? I never saw us tied to Pool Party...depending on how cheap the deal could be, would be interesting to explore. Although I don't see where he would play.

Finland homie.... that kid needs development in the worst way and is too good for the AHL and doesn't want to play there either. A few years in the KHL with Jokerit HC might do him well. It's like Drouin but without the jaw dropping talent

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Me too. I think my wishlist is:

1. Kreider
2. Lee
3. Pavelski

I think Lee is a better player than Kreider, but Kreider would give us one cheap year to win a cup, and I love how little he depends on the PP to score goals.

My wishlist is:

1. Joseph over 14:00 a night
2. Volkov in the top 9
3. Paquette - Verheaghe - Erne 4th line

ES points last year

Pavelski 42
Kreider 40
Johnson 38
Gourde 37
Lee 35
Joseph 24

ES goals

Johnson 27
Pavelski 25
Kreider 21
Lee 18
Gourde 16
Joseph 13

ES scoring between Johnson and Gourde is just as good as Pavelski and Lee or Kreider, same with Was goals. So there's no real upgrade and our guys are signed to fair deals while Pavelski and Lee might get 7+. Give Joseph 3 more minutes a night at ES and his production is right there with Lee or Gourde. I rather see if Palat or Gourde can bounce back and increase Joseph's role while getting Volkov into the lineup than bringing in any FA.

Reactions: ccman68

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
My wishlist is:

2. Volkov in the top 9

ES points last year

Pavelski 42
Kreider 40
Johnson 38
Gourde 37
Lee 35
Joseph 24

ES goals

Johnson 27
Pavelski 25
Kreider 21
Lee 18
Gourde 16
Joseph 13

ES scoring between Johnson and Gourde is just as good as Pavelski and Lee or Kreider, same with Was goals. So there's no real upgrade and our guys are signed to fair deals while Pavelski and Lee might get 7+. Give Joseph 3 more minutes a night at ES and his production is right there with Lee or Gourde. I rather see if Palat or Gourde can bounce back and increase Joseph's role while getting Volkov into the lineup than bringing in any FA.
Right on schedule!

Remember folks, unproven talent is always better than proven talent.

Join us tomorrow where Hose again pretends that rookies who've never played in the NHL are the answer!

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I’m fine with talking about additions to the roster but can we keep it realistic? Lee is definitely looking for long term which we can’t give him so talking about him is a waste of time. He isn’t big enough of an improvement that it would be worth the cap trouble.

I think if we want to improve it should be by trade. UFA contracts almost never work anyways.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
My wishlist is:

2. Volkov in the top 9

ES points last year

Pavelski 42
Kreider 40
Johnson 38
Gourde 37
Lee 35
Joseph 24

ES goals

Johnson 27
Pavelski 25
Kreider 21
Lee 18
Gourde 16
Joseph 13

Maybe Johnson, not Gourde. Considering Kucherov had 26, Point had 21, and Stamkos had 24 ES goals, 25 is nothing to scoff at. 25 ES goals is good for top 20 in the league.

Also, why are you ignoring all of the other positive contributions Pavelski would bring to the team? No one is saying Breezy should drop his drawers to get him, but saying Pavelski is a marginally better player just isn't accurate, unless he really drops off a cliff this year he should be our fourth best forward and contribute defensively and in the faceoff circle.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Right on schedule!

Remember folks, unproven talent is always better than proven talent.

Join us tomorrow where Hose again pretends that rookies who've never played in the NHL are the answer!

Where did I say Volkov was better than any of those players? I suggested Joseph could produce closer to Lee if given increased minutes. Joseph isn't unproven, he isn't a proven top 6 guy but he has shown he can produce in a limited role. Joseph will make 728k next year and Lee might make 10x as much, why would we pay that when we can get close to similar production in Joseph? Lee isn't even that good in the playoffs, 5 points in 13 games with just 1 goal, that's Miller type numbers.

Pavelski and Lee had a combined 22g 15a 37p on the PP. Does anyone really think they will be putting up those numbers with Stamkos, Kucherov and Point dominating the PP here? ES wise they are marginal upgrades at best and when you factor in the cap it's a bad idea. Pavelski and Lee could be making 4+ more a year than Johnson and Gourde. We would have to move someone out to afford them, someone like Killorn who makes 4.45. I rather have Johnson, Gourde and Killorn than Pavelski and Lee.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe Johnson, not Gourde. Considering Kucherov had 26, Point had 21, and Stamkos had 24 ES goals, 25 is nothing to scoff at. 25 ES goals is good for top 20 in the league.

Also, why are you ignoring all of the other positive contributions Pavelski would bring to the team? No one is saying Breezy should drop his drawers to get him, but saying Pavelski is a marginally better player just isn't accurate, unless he really drops off a cliff this year he should be our fourth best forward and contribute defensively and in the faceoff circle.

Because I don't think Pavelski will be the same player here. He led San Jose in ice time amongst forwards, he won't be doing that here. You take away 2 or 3 minutes a night and the production isn't the same. He's not a fast player so there's questions anabo how he would fit our style, he's good defensively but nothing special. He probably will play with Stamkos who is a shooter just like Pavelski so there's not enough puck to go around. Pavelski needs to go somewhere that he can be the man on his own line, here he will be a secondary player to Stamkos, Point or Kucherov. I don't want to pay 7mil for that the same with Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad