Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You stealing my thunder OP? I thought I started the off-season threads! I'm gonna go cry now

@Felonious Python

I suppose my comment was more aimed at the fact the KHL has so many teams and yet Sustr goes to the new one in a country that doesn't really have hockey. I still find it humourous because I honestly wonder if he's even gonna succeed there with the bigger ice

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
CapFriedly - 10.6M in space left

Trade Cally's contract (+5.8)

16.4M in space left

Sign Point(-8), Erne(-1.5) and Paquette(-1.5)

5.4M in space left

Trade Gourde(-5.2) for Ristolainen(+5.4)

5.2M in space left

Sign Corey Perry(-2.5M)

2.7M cap left

See if theres money left to sign another forward.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Just for the record from the previous thread, I wasn't advocating for keeping Miller because of his hits. I know what the guy is. I just think if he wasn't given the Drouin treatment and thrown anywhere and everywhere in the lineup, he'd produce better than any of Gourde/Killorn/Palat by quite a bit.

I know he was the easiest to move, but his NTC was only an 8 team no trade. Gourde has a full. Miller would have still been pretty easy to move down the road.

Killorn becomes a 16 team trade list next season but Palat has another full year and TJ has two. I guess if Gourde is their guy they can move Killorn next season and then look at Palat the year after.

I hate to see how Palat's game is going to look in 2 years.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
CapFriedly - 10.6M in space left

Trade Cally's contract (+5.8)

16.4M in space left

Sign Point(-8), Erne(-1.5) and Paquette(-1.5)

5.4M in space left

Trade Gourde(-5.2) for Ristolainen(+5.4)

5.2M in space left

Sign Corey Perry(-2.5M)

2.7M cap left

See if theres money left to sign another forward.
I don't think Point will accept 8M for a long deal...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just for the record from the previous thread, I wasn't advocating for keeping Miller because of his hits. I know what the guy is. I just think if he wasn't given the Drouin treatment and thrown anywhere and everywhere in the lineup, he'd produce better than any of Gourde/Killorn/Palat by quite a bit.

I know he was the easiest to move, but his NTC was only an 8 team no trade. Gourde has a full. Miller would have still been pretty easy to move down the road.

Killorn becomes a 16 team trade list next season but Palat has another full year and TJ has two. I guess if Gourde is their guy they can move Killorn next season and then look at Palat the year after.

I think at this point we need to look at a guy's playoff resume first and foremost. Miller's inability to be effective in the playoffs, to say nothing of the lack of scoring (over his whole career), is troubling. With gourde, the sample size is still small, but by the eye test he's struggling the play his bread and butter game because he's getting outmuscled in the dirty areas. I'm not opposed to giving him another year, but if we could get an equal value player for him, but somebody who brings a different element, I'd be for it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Your point about better production is well taken. My problem was however much more discriminatory in that when it's playoff time Miller goes AWOL. Saw him do it for years with the NYR, saw him do it here. Guy makes Ryan Callahan's stat line look like Stamkos. On your statement about Palat I'm right there with you. His game already scares me now. If he has his usual "I take 40 games to get going" and gets hurt again then it's just time to move on by the TDL. That will probably send THE message the team needs because Palat might as well be considered a locker room OG and from tenure alone he's probably seen as much of a core member as someone like Hedman.

I have some faith in Gourde yet but if he's another playoff no show he can hit the road too.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Part 4 is all yours. ;)

Me when this thread hits 1,000 posts

tenor.gif

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Pavelski is the exact kind of guy this team needs. A leader who plays his best when it counts. A guy looking to win it all coming to a team that needs a push over the top.

Amazing playmaker and goal scorer. Put him with Stamkos.

TyJo - Point - Kuch
Palat - Stamkos - Pavelski

If they could make the money work it could be a perfect fit.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Screen-Shot-2019-06-23-at-9.17.49-PM.png

Has a couple good years left probably but I don't see us having the cap space for him. Maybe if he only signs for a year.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd take current Pavelski over every forward on this team not named Point, Kucherov or Stamkos. He's one of those guys that if they want to play for you, you make it work. I wouldn't sign the guy to a 4-5 year deal or anything, but if he wanted 6x2, I'd give it to him and move another contract (Gourde?) out.

Johnson-Pavelski-Stamkos
Volkov/ABB-Point-Kuch
Palat-Cirelli-Joseph
Killorn-Paquette-Erne

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Pavelski is the exact kind of guy this team needs. A leader who plays his best when it counts. A guy looking to win it all coming to a team that needs a push over the top.

Amazing playmaker and goal scorer. Put him with Stamkos.

TyJo - Point - Kuch
Palat - Stamkos - Pavelski

If they could make the money work it could be a perfect fit.
Pavelski is a home run if we can avoid giving him term. He'd be a perfect fit for next season.

If we can't get him, I'd like Williams, then Perry.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Pavelski for a short deal (1-2 years) would be pretty good assuming it's 3mil tops.

Perry would be another good option for short, cheap contract.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Is he still gonna do it at (looks) HOLY **** the guy is gonna be 35!! I would only sign the guy for a season. Unless he has St. Louis or Jagr blood that could get ugly
Honestly, we signed Andreychuk when he was like 38. We won a cup with him as the leader of our team... that's what we need. Someone to lead this team in the playoffs, someone to show these guys what playoff effort looks like.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Honestly, we signed Andreychuk when he was like 38. We won a cup with him as the leader of our team... that's what we need. Someone to lead this team in the playoffs, someone to show these guys what playoff effort looks like.
Exactly. We need someone who knows how to win.
And, for this reason, I think Williams and Perry are better, for our situation, than Pavelski (but also the SJ captain would be a nice fit for us for sure :) )

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Python, sorry to disagree but our lack of actual depth is what led to both the NHL and AHL teams to have great regular seasons then choke in the first round of the playoffs. Once the injuries and call-ups hit, Syracuse was a team with no one to fall back to in case of injuries, discipline, or slumps. We see these players game in and game out and try to let you folks know the good and the bad. Sadly, many refuse to believe what the fans paying for our tickets see, instead going with the visions seen through rose colored glasses by those who are paid by the organization. That type of report works the same in any business; out of fear of losing your job you will tell the orgaizztion what it wants to hear whether it is correct or not. But hey, I have been following ice hockey as a fan and other positions since the early 70s so what do I know about what it does or does not take to make it at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad