Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Pavelski declined visits in a couple of places where he thought the teams weren’t close enough to winning. All eyes are on Dallas and Tampa Bay, although Chicago may try to convince him to visit. The Stars are determined to add scorers.

Can’t imagine anyone is watching Sergei Bobrovsky’s next contract more closely than Tampa Bay — wondering how that will affect Andrei Vasilevskiy, who will be a restricted free agent next summer.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There might be better options than Pavelski, but if dude really wants to come here and win I hope we do all we can to land him.

Would be huge for the room.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

On Pavelski

He's looking for the tax free deal. No doubt about it. There are bigger contenders than Dallas out there.

He's about #3 on the list of guys I'd like to acquire, but that's not saying I don't want him.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
On Pavelski

He's looking for the tax free deal. No doubt about it. There are bigger contenders than Dallas out there.

He's about #3 on the list of guys I'd like to acquire, but that's not saying I don't want him.
If that dude WANTS to come here and win a cup, we should do all we can to land him.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
On Pavelski

If we're just talking UFA, he'd be behind Lee for me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If that dude WANTS to come here and win a cup, we should do all we can to land him.

I don't know how much it's about the TB Lightning as opposed to tax free money with a contender. If he were only dealing with us, it would be different, but throwing Dallas into the mix makes things pretty clear.

I'm definitely not opposed to bringing him in. I'd like to see what Lee wants first. Although, really, 3 years for Pavelski is probably a safer deal than 5 or 6 years for Lee, regardless of age. Some guys age better than others, and San Jose is full of guys who extended their primes well into their 30s.

But with Lee... Well, 6'3, 220, scoring goals from four feet out. Like a Yanni Gourde who's harder to brush aside. I feel like he would provide more in the here and now, even if the contract is riskier. (I think Pavelski at 37/38 will be better than Lee at 34.)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we're just talking UFA, he'd be behind Lee for me.

Me too. I think my wishlist is:

1. Kreider
2. Lee
3. Pavelski

I think Lee is a better player than Kreider, but Kreider would give us one cheap year to win a cup, and I love how little he depends on the PP to score goals.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't know how much it's about the TB Lightning as opposed to tax free money with a contender. If he were only dealing with us, it would be different, but throwing Dallas into the mix makes things pretty clear.

I'm definitely not opposed to bringing him in. I'd like to see what Lee wants first. Although, really, 3 years for Pavelski is probably a safer deal than 5 or 6 years for Lee, regardless of age. Some guys age better than others, and San Jose is full of guys who extended their primes well into their 30s.

But with Lee... Well, 6'3, 220, scoring goals from four feet out. Like a Yanni Gourde who's harder to brush aside. I feel like he would provide more in the here and now, even if the contract is riskier. (I think Pavelski at 37/38 will be better than Lee at 34.)
According to those quotes from Friedman it's not all about money considering he's turned down visits from other teams for not being close enough to win. Dallas is in a similar situation to us on the ice (not as close) as well as tax.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I would pretty much be trying to sell Point on 3 or 4 years at around 7 Million. My logic is in 3 years Palat's contract is up (Have no faith we will move him. Coop's boy), or when Killorn's contract is done. Basically when Point's new contract is done shift the money from one of those two's contracts to Point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
According to those quotes from Friedman it's not all about money considering he's turned down visits from other teams for not being close enough to win. Dallas is in a similar situation to us on the ice (not as close) as well as tax.

Yeah, that's what I mean. He wants to talk to teams in contention, where he won't have to pay income tax. Maybe it's about sunshine too. But I mean, Boston's not on the list, St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh. It's hard not to draw the conclusion that he wants to make up for some of the discounts he's taken in years past by boosting his take home pay.

Again, that's not to say he doesn't want to play here. I just don't think he's showing some kind of outsider loyalty to the team by choosing us as a possible destination. I think it's a combination of factors, but mainly: a chance to win in a tax free state.

And I would like to acquire him. But Lee and Kreider both provide a missing element to the team in a more direct way. They all have advantages--Kreider would be the cheapest (for a year, but he'd cost assets), Lee is the biggest, and still reasonably young, and Pavelski is probably the best over all player. But we're at a point where I would lean toward size over skill, because we already have plenty of skill.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wait. Did the Canucks just get hit with a recapture penalty on Luongo!?!?!

This is good news.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Wait. Did the Canucks just get hit with a recapture penalty on Luongo!?!?!

This is good news.
Yes they did

upload_2019-6-26_12-13-48.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What does that mean and why would it affect Tampa?

Operating with a lower cap for the next 3 years makes them less likely to fill the holes they need to fill in order to make the playoffs in the next two years. They really need a defenseman. It's a small step toward giving us a lottery pick in 2021.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What's the chance JBB goes out and makes a signing like Pavelski before Point gets signed?

It would establish exactly how much money we have to offer Point and force their hand to accept the parameters we have. If by some off chance they are pushing for some obscene amount it would eliminate that option as well. It could be risky but if our offer is still generous it could work.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
What's the chance JBB goes out and makes a signing like Pavelski before Point gets signed?

It would establish exactly how much money we have to offer Point and force their hand to accept the parameters we have. If by some off chance they are pushing for some obscene amount it would eliminate that option as well. It could be risky but if our offer is still generous it could work.
Doubt it, but only if JBB had a plan in motion to make another trade to move some salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad