Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
In a short tournament like the WCH, teammates were going to get paired together rather than try and build chemistry.
Very true. Chemistry is crucial, especially for defense pairs and better to use that which has already been established between teammates during a short tournament.

But I still think most coaches prefer to put an OD with a DD during the regular season as well. There's something to be said for a DD taking care of home while the OD is rampaging through the opposition. :DD

Reactions: Felonious Python

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
If EK does come to Tampa then I would be fine with moving Serg + Callahan to NY to shed Cally's cap and get a good pick and prospect out of it. The problem is Serg won't get any top 4 minutes with Tampa for like 6 years :laugh:

But if we can keep him for cheap then I'm all for it, I like Serg but our D is getting stacked, its a good problem to have.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We have 8 something right now and have to resign paquette and erne too. Also option to resign stralman. All of that assuming no Karlsson, so i dont know how wed do that without trading cally.
We got to move Callahan no matter what unless they want to keep Callahan and just trade Miller. But we need at least 5 million freed up some where to get all the RFA’s signed and point.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Lol the hockey world would explode if that was true

The hockey world should take care to remember the Lightning held firm on Nikita Kucherov. Point's a fantastic young player and he's going to enjoy a substantial pay hike regardless of how everything plays out but if this organization wasn't cowed by the specter of an offer sheet then, they aren't now.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Lol the hockey world would explode if that was true
The hockey world is going to explode with whatever we sign Point for... it will be way less than they believe to be market value. I constantly see $9-$9.5 Million thrown around when discussing Point on this forum. No way in hell he gets that number on an RFA deal... minds will definitely get blown when he signs for $5-$6 million instead. The state tax advantage army will be out in full-throat.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The hockey world is going to explode with whatever we sign Point for... it will be way less than they believe to be market value. I constantly see $9-$9.5 Million thrown around when discussing Point on this forum. No way in hell he gets that number on an RFA deal... minds will definitely get blown when he signs for $5-$6 million instead. The state tax advantage army will be out in full-throat.
There is absolutely no way they're signing a 22 year old off a 40 goal season for $5-$6M.

Point has 91 goals through his first 3 seasons, Kucherov (when he bridged) had 68. 49 more points in 18 more games. Point is having a pretty significantly better first 3 years than Kucherov did. You can of course say the team is a lot better now than it was in 13-14 when Kuch came on board, but Point's camp isn't going to care. Even if you convince him to bridge, it's going to be probably around $7.

I'd personally rather they just lock him up and go for 8x8. He's worth more than that now and he'll continue to increase value. I'd rather pay him 8 for the next 8 while he's worth 10+ than pay him slightly below what he could get on a long deal and then have to pay him down the road when he's earned the right to put his own number on the check like Kuch did.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
There is absolutely no way they're signing a 22 year old off a 40 goal season for $5-$6M.

Point has 91 goals through his first 3 seasons, Kucherov (when he bridged) had 68. 49 more points in 18 more games. Point is having a pretty significantly better first 3 years than Kucherov did. You can of course say the team is a lot better now than it was in 13-14 when Kuch came on board, but Point's camp isn't going to care. Even if you convince him to bridge, it's going to be probably around $7.

I'd personally rather they just lock him up and go for 8x8. He's worth more than that now and he'll continue to increase value. I'd rather pay him 8 for the next 8 while he's worth 10+ than pay him slightly below what he could get on a long deal and then have to pay him down the road when he's earned the right to put his own number on the check like Kuch did.
I understand what you're saying but disagree with you. Point is an outstanding talent. No one is calling that into question. However, I don't think he is the force that drives this team. He's a very important piece, sure, but he is not the straw stirring the drink. That's Kucherov (Actually, I can't help but wonder how many of those 91 goals you quoted were set up by Kucherov) and I don't think Point's bridge deal is going to be so much different that it makes Kucherov's look like an embarassment.

Guess I can openly wonder how many goals could Kucherov have scored in his first three years had he been playing alongside a player of equal talent? I'm betting quite a bit more than 68.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
if point does a three year bridge deal I'd expect it to be 7 to 7.5 per season I'd rather just give him 8.5 avv for 8 years now and get it over with

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I understand what you're saying but disagree with you. Point is an outstanding talent. No one is calling that into question. However, I don't think he is the force that drives this team. He's a very important piece, sure, but he is not the straw stirring the drink. That's Kucherov (Actually, I can't help but wonder how many of those 91 goals you quoted were set up by Kucherov) and I don't think Point's bridge deal is going to be so much different that it makes Kucherov's look like an embarassment.

Guess I can openly wonder how many goals could Kucherov have scored in his first three years had he been playing alongside a player of equal talent? I'm betting quite a bit more than 68.
That's the thing though. We can all openly wonder who would have done what with who, but the set in stone fact is that Brayden Point has pretty handily eclipsed what Kucherov did going into his second contract. Also let's not act like the Triplets weren't one of the best lines in the league at the time. It's not like Kucherov was getting the Drouin treatment and playing with Brian Boyle and Cedric Paquette.

I'm not saying this to try and say Point is the better player or anything, or that he won't take a team friendly bridge/deal. Just saying that he has a very solid reason to shake the trend and not bridge.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Point is just feeding off Kucherov

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
All i'm curious about at this point is whether Marner is going to sign first, or wait for Point.
I think marner goes longer points agent said he loves Tampa months back would do a 3 year deal or 5 year deal or 8 year deal what ever is needed to stay with the lightning.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I want to believe that, but business is business.
Oh for sure we are going to have to pay point which is why I think karlsson is not coming here. But I think point signs before marner. Point will give us a better discount then marner will due to Fl no state income tax. I’d say 3 years term for 7 avv is what point is going to sign for.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
All i'm curious about at this point is whether Marner is going to sign first, or wait for Point.
Agents talk, but Marner may sign first if there could be an assumption that Point takes a discount (which would also cover the tax difference.) The optics of 7 million vs 10 million matter.

Reactions: Still All In
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad