Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
As awesome as McDonagh and Cernak have been together, I gotta think McDonagh and Karlsson would play together
100% agree, Hedman will have Cernak to play back for him and McDonagh for Karlsson. Literal perfect pairs.
My first thought would be to play Hedman & Karlsson together, but interesting enough I don't believe they've actually ever normally been paired together. Going back to the 2009 WJC, I'm pretty sure they've always been separated on Swedens national teams over the years and had different d partners.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would like to see Karlsson have time with Sergachev should we actually get him. God knows Sergachev's career trajectory has been nothing similar but I get the feeling that playing along side a somewhat similar player could help his confidence and development. But this is a long ways away

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
100% agree, Hedman will have Cernak to play back for him and McDonagh for Karlsson. Literal perfect pairs.

My God whatever pair we go with

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Cernak

Or

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson

My God. Add either Serg or Foot. Jesus that's quite the D core. At this point we gotta start to have that "all in" mentality

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree but whats the point? He will never break our top 4 when we have:

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Karlsson

Foote can grow for a couple years and probably be moved out too, or battle with Cernak but I really feel Cernak is a special player, really unique in what he brings and adds toughness which we need. After we move Sergachev out the scouts will start looking for and draft good Left dmen. By the time McDonagh is up we will have his replacement, and cap space to replace him if no prospect.

He's 20 years old. McDonagh is 30. It gives us a nice cushion to bring Serg along. We could afford to trade him, sure, but it's not like we can bring salary back anyway. I'd rather sign him as cheaply as possible and give him a couple of years to work his way into a legit top-4 defenseman, and gives us a safety net on Hedman or McDonagh either getting injured or showing signs of age. I don't see how we can trade him and get something better coming back, unless it's for a little bit of top-six size, but then there's the salary problem with that.

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
He's 20 years old. McDonagh is 30. It gives us a nice cushion to bring Serg along. We could afford to trade him, sure, but it's not like we can bring salary back anyway. I'd rather sign him as cheaply as possible and give him a couple of years to work his way into a legit top-4 defenseman, and gives us a safety net on Hedman or McDonagh either getting injured or showing signs of age. I don't see how we can trade him and get something better coming back, unless it's for a little bit of top-six size, but then there's the salary problem with that.

One of Hedman, Mac or Serg will play thirdpair minuits, but none of them deserves that. They all should play top 4 and Hedman and Mac is to expensive to not play top 4 and won’t easily be traded.

I’d also say that Serg is part of the salary problem. Not this year, but next, when him, cernak, vasy, cirelli and Joseph will be rfa. We can’t get all resigned. I’d try to trade serg now. He’d bring back good prospects or picks that’ll buy us some time and capspace for the future. And he’ll get to play top 4 minuits somewhere else instead of being unhappy with playing fewer minuits behind Hedman, Mac, cernak and (hopefully) ek65.

Send serg and callhan to rangers and try to get jets first back. Then you’ve bought capspace both this season and the following when you don’t have to resign serg. With potentially four spots on D locked for some time and foote on the rise this would make sense to me.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
One of Hedman, Mac or Serg will play thirdpair minuits, but none of them deserves that. They all should play top 4 and Hedman and Mac is to expensive to not play top 4 and won’t easily be traded.

I’d also say that Serg is part of the salary problem. Not this year, but next, when him, cernak, vasy, cirelli and Joseph will be rfa. We can’t get all resigned. I’d try to trade serg now. He’d bring back good prospects or picks that’ll buy us some time and capspace for the future. And he’ll get to play top 4 minuits somewhere else instead of being unhappy with playing fewer minuits behind Hedman, Mac, cernak and (hopefully) ek65.

Send serg and callhan to rangers and try to get jets first back. Then you’ve bought capspace both this season and the following when you don’t have to resign serg. With potentially four spots on D locked for some time and foote on the rise this would make sense to me.
They could roll pairs.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Going to have to pay Seattle a ton to not pick Sergachev or Cernak in the expansion draft, hence why even tho i like the kid, serg should be moved for a good young winger thats exempt or we can protect as part of our 7 forwards.

Also, if we trade Gourde and Callahan, instead of Miller and Callahan, we would be fine for next year. Clear out almost 11 million this summer with no NTC problems, and next summer miller sends a list and if we need to move killorn as well, we can, as his modified NTC hits and thats almost 10 mill in space combined. Not to mention, Carle's almost 2 mill is gone and potentially more raised cap.

If we dont move gourde now, than the NTC stuff becomes a problem as Killorns 4.5 mill is the only thing we can move that doesnt have a NTC on forward.

Reactions: Rschmitz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Going to have to pay Seattle a ton to not pick Sergachev or Cernak in the expansion draft, hence why even tho i like the kid, serg should be moved for a good young winger thats exempt or we can protect as part of our 7 forwards.

Also, if we trade Gourde and Callahan, instead of Miller and Callahan, we would be fine for next year. Clear out almost 11 million this summer with no NTC problems, and next summer miller sends a list and if we need to move killorn as well, we can, as his modified NTC hits and thats almost 10 mill in space combined. Not to mention, Carle's almost 2 mill is gone and potentially more raised cap.

If we dont move gourde now, than the NTC stuff becomes a problem as Killorns 4.5 mill is the only thing we can move that doesnt have a NTC on forward.

We protect Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak, Foote, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point and Cirelli. Trade Sergachev for a expansion exempt forward. Hope Seattle takes Johnson instead of a young winger in Joseph, Volkov, ABB, Raddysh or Katchouk. It should be cheaper to pay to protect those guys than Sergachev.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
We protect Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak, Foote, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point and Cirelli. Trade Sergachev for a expansion exempt forward. Hope Seattle takes Johnson instead of a young winger in Joseph, Volkov, ABB, Raddysh or Katchouk. It should be cheaper to pay to protect those guys than Sergachev.

Doubt we are gonna protect Mcdonagh. If Seattle wants that terrible contract they can have it.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Doubt we are gonna protect Mcdonagh. If Seattle wants that terrible contract they can have it.
6.75 million for an elite dman seems pretty good to me. Hopefully later on he doesnt drop too much but its not a terrible contract. A guy like Brock Nelson is making 6 mill, Jake Gardiner is going to sign for 6-7 this summer, we're lucky to have McDonagh at 6.75.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

McDonagh is a year and a half older than Hedman, so not that much, makes 1.125 less per year for 1 more year. McDonagh just had 9 ES goals, 31 ES assists, 3 SH points and just 3 PP points for 46 total. Hedman had 10 ES goals, 18 ES assists, 1 SH point and 25 PP for 54 total. McDonagh had 98 hits and 161 blocked shots, Hedman 59 and 97.

I'm not sure how you can suggest we don't protect McDonagh when he was just as important to our team than Hedman and how his contract is so bad?

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
McDonagh is a year and a half older than Hedman, so not that much, makes 1.125 less per year for 1 more year. McDonagh just had 9 ES goals, 31 ES assists, 3 SH points and just 3 PP points for 46 total. Hedman had 10 ES goals, 18 ES assists, 1 SH point and 25 PP for 54 total. McDonagh had 98 hits and 161 blocked shots, Hedman 59 and 97.

I'm not sure how you can suggest we don't protect McDonagh when he was just as important to our team than Hedman and how his contract is so bad?
Karlsson was at his best when he had Marc Methot as his d partner. Ryan McDonagh is like the Lamborghini version of Methot who was like a Honda Civic. Imagine how good they would be together lol.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Karlsson was at his best when he had Marc Methot as his d partner. Ryan McDonagh is like the Lamborghini version of Methot who was like a Honda Civic. Imagine how good they would be together lol.

Yes. That would be an insane pairing. Cernak would be good with Hedman too.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would not be so sure Stralman is a goner. If he sticks around for cheap and IF we get Karlsson we have the option of

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Karlsson

But the (not so) hidden agenda is that I want to see a good plan for Sergachev continue to be developed. He's still young and I'd like to see a common linemate. I'd like Mac and Cernak to stay together for the same reason. God knows Cernak could go full Dotchin on us and I'd rather have someone familiar with him working together with him, that being McDonagh. I know Sergachev got Coburn and Girardi a lot but they're both probably gone. If we don't go this route and Stralman DOES stay, then put Sergachev with Stralman again because they worked well 2 years ago and they'll be an effective 3rd pairing. Just either way, don't just swoon for super pairings and keep in mind we have young players on our back end who still are years out from reaching their full potential.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I would not be so sure Stralman is a goner. If he sticks around for cheap and IF we get Karlsson we have the option of

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Karlsson

But the (not so) hidden agenda is that I want to see a good plan for Sergachev continue to be developed. He's still young and I'd like to see a common linemate. I'd like Mac and Cernak to stay together for the same reason. God knows Cernak could go full Dotchin on us and I'd rather have someone familiar with him working together with him, that being McDonagh. I know Sergachev got Coburn and Girardi a lot but they're both probably gone. If we don't go this route and Stralman DOES stay, then put Sergachev with Stralman again because they worked well 2 years ago and they'll be an effective 3rd pairing. Just either way, don't just swoon for super pairings and keep in mind we have young players on our back end who still are years out from reaching their full potential.
Erik Cernak is offended you compared him to Jake Dotchin, in all seriousness though i dont see how signing stralman would be possible if we got ek65.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Erik Cernak is offended you compared him to Jake Dotchin, in all seriousness though i dont see how signing stralman would be possible if we got ek65.
I've learned that the only thing I should expect is to be surprised thus stating the most impluasible ane unlikely thing ever. Not that it makes sense but I think you get where I'm going with it

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Karlsson

the lightning have not even reached out to stralmans agent per joe smith for a new contract

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Karlsson

I hadn’t thought about that before, but that would give Tampa many more ways to pair their d. Unlike this season, where girardi only could play with Hedman and locked that spot.

If, let’s say Johnson would be traded to SJ to give tampa the 8th year, that would also give tampa some capspace and give SJ something, compared to nothing if losing ek as ufa.

I still think trading serg would be a good idea to fre some cap next summer and that I don’t think he’ll be happy with limited icetime and nu time on pp with Hedman and ek ahead of him.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
My first thought would be to play Hedman & Karlsson together, but interesting enough I don't believe they've actually ever normally been paired together. Going back to the 2009 WJC, I'm pretty sure they've always been separated on Sweden's national teams over the years and had different d partners.

Yup. Even as recently as the 2016 World Cup, where Karlsson and Hedman were both on Team Sweden, they were not paired together. Instead, Karlsson was paired with Ekman-Larsson and Hedman with Strålman. In the 2017 World Championships, Hedman and Strålman were again paired (they became the top pairing after the first prelim game) despite there being some top offensive defensemen they could have put with Heddy. Paid off with gold for Tre Kronor. :DD

If we got Karlsson, McDonagh would definitely be an excellent partner. Would be interesting to see of Cernak has any chemistry with Hedman. Not sure putting Sergachev and Karlsson together would be that good since they're almost too similar in what they like to do. Not that Sergy is near EK's level yet, but they both would prefer to be driving offense.

If Sergachev would be staying, even with Karlsson, it would be wise to either re-sign Strålman to pair with Sergachev on LD as they were very good together for Sergy's rookie season or re-sign Coburn to pair with Sergachev on RD as they were good together this season. However, I'm not sure Sergy wants to spend another season on the third pairing but if we got Karlsson, Sergachev would be blocked from the top four plus have his PP time taken away.

Reactions: JAY7791

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yup. Even as recently as the 2016 World Cup, where Karlsson and Hedman were both on Team Sweden, they were not paired together. Instead, Karlsson was paired with Ekman-Larsson and Hedman with Strålman. In the 2017 World Championships, Hedman and Strålman were again paired (they became the top pairing after the first prelim game) despite there being some top offensive defensemen they could have put with Heddy. Paid off with gold for Tre Kronor. :DD

If we got Karlsson, McDonagh would definitely be an excellent partner. Would be interesting to see of Cernak has any chemistry with Hedman. Not sure putting Sergachev and Karlsson together would be that good since they're almost too similar in what they like to do. Not that Sergy is near EK's level yet, but they both would prefer to be driving offense.

If Sergachev would be staying, even with Karlsson, it would be wise to either re-sign Strålman to pair with Sergachev on LD as they were very good together for Sergy's rookie season or re-sign Coburn to pair with Sergachev on RD as they were good together this season. However, I'm not sure Sergy wants to spend another season on the third pairing but if we got Karlsson, Sergachev would be blocked from the top four plus have his PP time taken away.
In a short tournament like the WCH, teammates were going to get paired together rather than try and build chemistry.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad