Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perlini received the same chances Strome got, or do you not recall that he started off in the AHL, and started to light fire with scoring there, same as Strome? He was brought up, he bought in for that year, and it continued for the remainder of the year. At that point, he was "in" the NHL, but maybe that is a problem for some of the players - they have a honeymoon period where by making it, that's it and they are guaranteed time and a roster spot for the next 4-12 years.

Sometimes, that is a bigger target on the back, though. The same way that an employee who gets a pay raise at work is also going to be the first one severed from a company if their work is of a similar quality to the people who are paid 10% less than that same employee.
Perlini was given much more of a chance than Strome. Perlini played 153 games as a Coyote, Strome 48. Fischer by the way has played 157 and counting. Look, Strome may have never made it here, but as an organizationI would give a 3OA pick a real good chance to succeed and not throw in the towel after 48 games, playing 12 minutes a game. Hope Hayton catches fire fast.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Perlini was given much more of a chance than Strome. Perlini played 153 games as a Coyote, Strome 48. Fischer by the way has played 157 and counting. Look, Strome may have never made it here, but as an organizationI would give a 3OA pick a real good chance to succeed and not throw in the towel after 48 games, playing 12 minutes a game. Hope Hayton catches fire fast.

And Perlini was playing some top line minutes in the season that he was first called up from the AHL. Those top line minutes started to become 2nd, then 3rd/4th line minutes mixed in with some healthy scratches because he hadn't committed himself in the same way over the next few seasons. This has been discussed often on here - Perlini often did not look as engaged in games. If that is the attitude that is taken because you were playing top line minutes and then you were demoted down for lack of effort, is that the player you really want to continue giving more time to and feeling committed to?

If anything, that would basically mean that players would reduce their effort level in order to get playing time on higher lines. Does that even sound comprehensible to you?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Is this board of the opinion that Chayka lost the Strome deal and Schmaltz will always be an inferior player (ie that the decision on who won this trade is final and there is zero chance of it changing in time)?

I personally think we need to see how this season plays out before that decision is made.

I’ve also never seen a fan base more angry after a 16 point improvement. This was a team that worked its ass off every night and I loved watching every second of it.
I think the Schmaltz/Strome trade will take many years to determine the winner. I also expect Perlini to be nothing more than a fringe NHL player and likely play for many teams during his NHL career, teams will be encouraged by moments of promise and disappointed by levels of consistency. At best I see his value as a 2nd Rd pick.

Strome (plus a 2nd Rd pick) for Schmaltz

Based on numbers thus far, Strome holds a slight advantage.

Career PPG: Strome .63 to Schmaltz .59
New team PPG: Strome .88 to Schmaltz .82

And the combined career GP sample size is only 285 games.

Long way to go......

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
One glaring problem with our team is lack of right handed shot defensemen. You can watch it on the powerplay. Point to point passes have to be quick and purposeful in order to establish good puck movement, and that was arguably one of our biggest flaws on the powerplay last year. It is so frustrating to watch them try to get the defenders moving side-to side to create some space, only to have a point to point pass fumbled due to a lefty attempting to catch a fast pass on his backhand. It either takes an additional move that slows the play down, or it leads to a turn over.

Our two right handed defensemen (Demers and Lyubushkin) are pretty average and neither one of them really belong on the PP.

I know everyone else wants another forward right now but I think our forward group is as strong as it's been in years with the additions of the Yeti and Kessel.

We need to try and gauge the market on RHD's. Use Fischer as trade bait if necessary. I'd be interested in seeing what Buffalo wants for Risto (maybe his defense can improve with a fresh start) after making 2 trades for 2 RHD's this summer. It's no secret Buff is trying to move him.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Talking about Hossas contract: there has been compliance buy-outs after the previous lock-outs. If next season tuns out to be lost to lock-out, Hossas last year will not be a problem. Also, if the new deal gives a compliance buy-out, it shouldn't be a problem. I assume he would accept a buy-out, even if they say you can't buy out the injured. That would cost some actual dollars over a last year on LTIR, but still, as 2 *3333333 is more than 2K.

Am I onto something?

(Edit: mouser thought it wouldn't be a compliance-buyout in another thread when I asked, so I am probably just far out, as usual.)

Last edited:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Talking about Hossas contract: there has been compliance buy-outs after the previous lock-outs. If next season tuns out to be lost to lock-out, Hossas last year will not be a problem. Also, if the new deal gives a compliance buy-out, it shouldn't be a problem. I assume he would accept a buy-out, even if they say you can't buy out the injured. That would cost some actual dollars over a last year on LTIR, but still, as 2 *3333333 is more than 2K.

Am I onto something?

If the NHL loses another season to lockout... My guess is that buying Hossa out is going to be the least of the Coyotes problems.

Would be a totally Coyotes way to go though...start to get competitive and then get locked out and ruin any momentum the franchise was getting with fans. This team can't afford to alienate any more fans.

Nothing would piss off fans more then the millionaires fighting with billionaires narrative and then to have them turn around and ask for public help with an arena.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And Perlini was playing some top line minutes in the season that he was first called up from the AHL. Those top line minutes started to become 2nd, then 3rd/4th line minutes mixed in with some healthy scratches because he hadn't committed himself in the same way over the next few seasons. This has been discussed often on here - Perlini often did not look as engaged in games. If that is the attitude that is taken because you were playing top line minutes and then you were demoted down for lack of effort, is that the player you really want to continue giving more time to and feeling committed to?

If anything, that would basically mean that players would reduce their effort level in order to get playing time on higher lines. Does that even sound comprehensible to you?
Not sure what you are trying to say, but the point I was making was that Perlini was given more of a chance than Strome.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Not sure what you are trying to say, but the point I was making was that Perlini was given more of a chance than Strome.

Perlini is a good player, just don't know if he has quit always shooting the puck straight into the goalies chest. 'Cause that kind of didn't work.

Also, he recommended Liam Kirk someone said here before, so that looks like a good reason to remember him with fondness.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
One glaring problem with our team is lack of right handed shot defensemen. You can watch it on the powerplay. Point to point passes have to be quick and purposeful in order to establish good puck movement, and that was arguably one of our biggest flaws on the powerplay last year. It is so frustrating to watch them try to get the defenders moving side-to side to create some space, only to have a point to point pass fumbled due to a lefty attempting to catch a fast pass on his backhand. It either takes an additional move that slows the play down, or it leads to a turn over.

Our two right handed defensemen (Demers and Lyubushkin) are pretty average and neither one of them really belong on the PP.

I know everyone else wants another forward right now but I think our forward group is as strong as it's been in years with the additions of the Yeti and Kessel.

We need to try and gauge the market on RHD's. Use Fischer as trade bait if necessary. I'd be interested in seeing what Buffalo wants for Risto (maybe his defense can improve with a fresh start) after making 2 trades for 2 RHD's this summer. It's no secret Buff is trying to move him.

Could also just run 4 forwards and 1 defenseman with the additional forward accounting for the handedness. I suspect the powerplay as a whole will look much different this year as Kessel, Söderberg, and a full year of Schmaltz should get lots of minutes.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason why he was given a better chance was because he bought in to the system better, but wasn't as talented as Strome? Perlini is a pure sniper and we had a need for that. His speed and skill fit in well, but the inconsistency was what hurt Perlini. Much easier to justify giving someone a chance when they are doing the things to keep giving them a chance. I don't know if the same could be said of Strome necessarily. Superior talent, but maybe just being good talent didn't mean buying into the system and being best for the system at the time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

They might just tryna forward there. Many teams are going with 4F on the PP. It’s pretty popular these days.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

You’re definitely not wrong, but my guess is that right now the mentality with that is, “it was the strength of our team last year, let’s get by this year with what we have and then Soderstrom will probably be ready by then and fill that spot...”

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Perlini also had a solid season split between the AHL and NHL to go with that before he went into the tank. Strome couldn’t even get off the ground once he got out of the A.

Reactions: Mosby

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Could also just run 4 forwards and 1 defenseman with the additional forward accounting for the handedness. I suspect the powerplay as a whole will look much different this year as Kessel, Söderberg, and a full year of Schmaltz should get lots of minutes.

They might just tryna forward there. Many teams are going with 4F on the PP. It’s pretty popular these days.

You’re definitely not wrong, but my guess is that right now the mentality with that is, “it was the strength of our team last year, let’s get by this year with what we have and then Soderstrom will probably be ready by then and fill that spot...”

I would be open to running a forward on the point for the powerplay but it would need to be a right hand shot. Maybe Schmaltz? Vinnie? Still feel like we need to bring in a RHD. Point to point passes arent only f***ed up on the powerplay, i saw a fair share 5 on 5 as well.

Also on topic/off topic...i would welcome back Perlini on a prove it deal. I think he likes it here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perlini also had a solid season split between the AHL and NHL to go with that before he went into the tank. Strome couldn’t even get off the ground once he got out of the A.
Strome killed it in the A, and when called up did very well with Domi, you know, a forward with some talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason why he was given a better chance was because he bought in to the system better, but wasn't as talented as Strome? Perlini is a pure sniper and we had a need for that. His speed and skill fit in well, but the inconsistency was what hurt Perlini. Much easier to justify giving someone a chance when they are doing the things to keep giving them a chance. I don't know if the same could be said of Strome necessarily. Superior talent, but maybe just being good talent didn't mean buying into the system and being best for the system at the time.
What ever.

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Perlini is being shopped after Chicago acquired Nylander. That's the latest rumour anyways.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would be open to running a forward on the point for the powerplay but it would need to be a right hand shot. Maybe Schmaltz? Vinnie? Still feel like we need to bring in a RHD. Point to point passes arent only ****ed up on the powerplay, i saw a fair share 5 on 5 as well.

Also on topic/off topic...i would welcome back Perlini on a prove it deal. I think he likes it here.
Kessel, Schmaltz and Hinostroza are all good distributors with RHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad