Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Certainly plays into Chayka's hand of only offering futures. If Pens want to go UFA shopping, they can't make a "hockey deal" and bring in a guy like Galchenyuk for Kessel.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What if we get all excited and it’s something terrible? Like Dvorak or Galchenyuk involved? Like Dvorak+ for Kessel w/retention and a guy like Rust?

rt

May 13, 2004
Certainly plans into Chayka's hand of only offering futures. If Pens want to go UFA shopping, they can't make a "hockey deal" and bring in a guy like Galchenyuk for Kessel.
Man, if Chayka can drag JR out into deep waters and walk away with Phil for something like Merkley, Dineen, and a 2nd....

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keller - Dvorak - Kessel
Gally - Stepan - Schmaltz
Crouse - Soda - Garland
Grabner - Richie - Hinostroza

Something like that? Those top two wings can fly but I think Dvo is our best bet at keeping up with them.

Edit: If Hayton makes the team I think you can put him at the 4C there between Grabner and Hino and not totally waste his time. Then we trade Richie. Not sure how this all fits together if we still envision Schmaltz as a center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sorry to burst in, but the Athletic just posted another article about Kessel. It basically reads exactly like a stereotypical smear article that the Pittsburgh media has a history of writing when guys are about to be traded:

My guess is that the Coyotes missed out on guys like Pavelski and Duchene, so they're now circling back to Kessel. With an actual trade option for Kessel (one he'd say yes to) and JR really wanting to move him, I think it's almost inevitable. My guess is that it would be Fischer and a lottery protected 1st or something along those lines.

For reference, some other examples of some Pittsburgh smear campaigns include attacks on James Neal and Simon Despres. The comments about Kessel were actually also applied to Despres, they called him a gambling addict as he left.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's reminiscent of when the Boston media trashed Dougie Hamilton his way out the door.

Rick Tocchet is a poker player himself so maybe that's the true bond between him and Kessel :laugh:

Yeah, it's not just Pittsburgh that does this, I know of a lot of teams that do this. Hell, this happened to Hamilton in both Boston and Calgary, he was painted as this weirdo who didn't get along with teammates by the Calgary media.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Plot twist: Phil reverses course and accepts trade to Minnesota. Zucker and Kessel are both off the market, and f=40 devolves into weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What if we get all excited and it’s something terrible? Like Dvorak or Galchenyuk involved? Like Dvorak+ for Kessel w/retention and a guy like Rust?
Sounds like somebody just got engaged to be married :nod: . Cold feet.

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
I think Rutherford wants to get a UFA and he needs to move out Kessel by July 1. GMJC needs to ride this out and not make a bad trade.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also, Malkin’s commitment to defense, which coaches believed had improved coming out of the back-to-back Cup runs, is assessed to have deteriorated the past two seasons. Much of the blame for that regressions has been placed on Kessel.

This line made me laugh. What the f*** is going on in Pittsburgh.

rt

May 13, 2004
This line made me laugh. What the **** is going on in Pittsburgh.
Kessel is the evil doer that is ruining Malkin and ruining poor young Guentzel. Haha. Kessel is “the other”. I’m imagining some former KGB guy running their “media relations” and whispering this crap to The Athletic. At the end of the day he pours himself an nice cold wodka, kicks his feet up on his desk and mutters to himself, “Dah. Dah. Diz duz really feeeel like zee gud old days.”

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The crazy thing is they could give away Kessel then still miss the playoffs and end up firing Sullivan.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The crazy thing is they could give away Kessel then still miss the playoffs and end up firing Sullivan.

Yeah they are entering that point where there are years of pain. A smart re-tool could make them relevant for several more years, a couple bad moves could put them back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller - Dvorak - Kessel
Gally - Stepan - Schmaltz
Crouse - Soda - Garland
Grabner - Richie - Hinostroza

Something like that? Those top two wings can fly but I think Dvo is our best bet at keeping up with them.

Edit: If Hayton makes the team I think you can put him at the 4C there between Grabner and Hino and not totally waste his time. Then we trade Richie. Not sure how this all fits together if we still envision Schmaltz as a center.
Richardson has a M-NTC. Schmaltz I think will end up a winger and that is why we traded for Soda.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sorry to burst in, but the Athletic just posted another article about Kessel. It basically reads exactly like a stereotypical smear article that the Pittsburgh media has a history of writing when guys are about to be traded:

My guess is that the Coyotes missed out on guys like Pavelski and Duchene, so they're now circling back to Kessel. With an actual trade option for Kessel (one he'd say yes to) and JR really wanting to move him, I think it's almost inevitable. My guess is that it would be Fischer and a lottery protected 1st or something along those lines.

For reference, some other examples of some Pittsburgh smear campaigns include attacks on James Neal and Simon Despres. The comments about Kessel were actually also applied to Despres, they called him a gambling addict as he left.

I would not give up a 1st. for Kessel.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Phil Kessel will likely be a Coyote. There's no rush and Chayka has leverage. Should turn out well for Arizona.

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad