Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The other insane bit in this is the Pens are likely going to use the Kessel cap space sign a lesser player for more money. Like Anders Lee.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Kessel was ripped in Toronto too. Hopefully its just smoke. My gut says hes prime to be a bust

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Hey guys! Just doing some investigating for my fantasy league :) Wondering your thoughts on who would play 2nd line RW/1st PP unit RW (assuming Keller drops back to the point). Is it likely to be Schmaltz? Or do you think it's possible that Hinostroza takes over? Thanks!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I hope our Leadership group is strong because it needs to be to push past Kessel in leading the young guys. Phil is a great player and rarely gets hurt but his work ethic is certainly questionable. And that works for him without issue. He is the rare athlete that is naturally strong and gifted. We just need to make sure someone is showing the kids that their chance of success increase by living the right way and they aren't Kessel. He is not a bad influence in any way but you can't follow his lead and it's unlikely you are as gifted. It's one of the reasons the Leaf's moved on, they did not see him as a core piece for a young team. I 5hink they were correct , but he is a tremendous talent.

Reactions: _Del_ and Jakey53

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Sounds like Pavelski and Tampa want each other pretty bad...maybe we can get Gourde from them so they have room. He signed at slightly less money because of the lower tax rate, so maybe if TB dumps him they will move him here as a bit of a favor to him...still relatively low tax rate and cost of living.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Is anyone going to tonight’s town hall? I’d love for someone to ask about Scott Allen and why John MacLean still has a job.

Reactions: _Del_

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sounds like Pavelski and Tampa want each other pretty bad...maybe we can get Gourde from them so they have room. He signed at slightly less money because of the lower tax rate, so maybe if TB dumps him they will move him here as a bit of a favor to him...still relatively low tax rate and cost of living.
Gourde is #1 on my list.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Gourde is #1 on my list.

Not super into the idea of adding another forward under 5’10, but he looks like a good versatile player...can play all three forward positions. If it’s him instead of Kessel:

Keller-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Galchenyuk-Söderberg-Hinostroza
Crouse-Stepan-Gourde
Grabner-Richardson-Garland/Merkley

Not as attention grabbing as the potential Kessel lineup but still rock solid if you ask me...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Colin Miller headed out of Vegas to Buffalo for picks, I guess the Knights have probably cut enough cap and we can probably rule out picking up Cody Eakin for cheap.

It's a shame. I would have been okay with Eakin as a fall back plan. Top notch PKer, center optionality, expiring deal, and coming off of a fantastic G/60 and Pts/60 season. Not to mention >20g.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's a shame. I would have been okay with Eakin as a fall back plan. Top notch PKer, center optionality, expiring deal, and coming off of a fantastic G/60 and Pts/60 season. Not to mention >20g.
Also not big, but a pain in the ass to play against.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Love Gourde, sadly I feel that Tampa knows he is the sort of guys who will score that one goal to win the cup. They need him and will keep him.

Tyler J, probably would be let go if the opportunity comes. But I don't think we will be interested.

Guts tell me - as we all know- it is all about Kessel for us. The goal scorer, Stanley cup winner, Right Wing Right Shot, RT believer, $6.8M cap hit, point per game chap.... and seemingly willing to come here.

I am certainly not scared of chancing a lot on him, and after all those years of a train wreck of a franchise, for me the risk of further wrecking feels very harmless in comparison of getting a guy who ticks everything we have not had for a hell of a long time.

We are halfway through the RT + JC cycle. Team has shown a lot last year in full adversity, it has progressed in a lot of ways, I won't blame JC if he trades something a little uncomfortable to rocket the team forward.

Kessel is the man. Let's go.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Gourde is #1 on my list.
Unless it happens before Monday, I think he's out :)

NTC starts 7/1 (I'm guessing we'd be 1 of the 22 on his no-trade list).

Also, why would we want a 5.3 and 6.5 mill on the 3rd?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Unless it happens before Monday, I think he's out :)

NTC starts 7/1 (I'm guessing we'd be 1 of the 22 on his no-trade list).

Also, why would we want a 5.3 and 6.5 mill on the 3rd?

Kessel was on the third line when they won the first Cup of their back to back, and should have won the Smythe. Apparently Sullivan still wants him on the 3rd line but Kessel only wants to play with Malkin. Its just about scoring balance through the lineup...and RT likes to work the lines off of pairs. Those pairs will change based off whoever the last addition is. I think Dvo gets a chance to run with Kells, Gally and Schmaltz had good chemistry last year and with Soda between them that’s a solid line, and then the Step/Crouse pair...putting Gourde there seems like the most natural fit and it would be a tough line to play against. If we get Kessel then Vinny could play with those two and it would look pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad