Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Hey, somebody want to trade for Bonino or Jarnkrok or something? We'll take an early 2nd and might even throw a later pick in to get one of these guys that keep falling. Please? PRETTY PLEASE?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They don't even officially know what the Cap is going to be. Tough to do much without that info.
They know it's 81.5 or 82.0 apparently... can't see that 500k making much difference. I think they just know now that they get to talk to UFAs on Sunday and that's when they really know HOW they can use that cap number. Or at least enough of the teams are waiting on it for it to jam up the whole thing. :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
They know it's 81.5 or 82.0 apparently... can't see that 500k making much difference. I think they just know now that they get to talk to UFAs on Sunday and that's when they really know HOW they can use that cap number. Or at least enough of the teams are waiting on it for it to jam up the whole thing. :dunno:
I guess you just assume the lower number but 500k could be the difference between "I can make X trade and we can re-sign Sissons at Y value after signing this UFA" or "we can make this trade but we'll probably have to trade Sissons for some picks if we're going to sign this UFA."

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess you just assume the lower number but 500k could be the difference between "I can make X trade and we can re-sign Sissons at Y value after signing this UFA" or "we can make this trade but we'll probably have to trade Sissons for some picks if we're going to sign this UFA."
Naw, every GM plans for at least $1M cushion space anyway. If it got shaved to $500k that's... well that's part of the reason they plan that way. Nobody is trading Sissons for picks if they are $500k over the cap. They just put a guy in the minors and run 22 players until injuries gets them back on pace.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So the above said... if the reports I'm reading this morning about there being a chance the PA is going to hold to NO escalator and force the cap to $80M... that's a bigger difference now! And I can see THAT being enough uncertainty to put a damper on things.

Just look at our situation. We've been saying we have basically $6M space on the $82M cap. With Grimaldi and Sissons likely to take up 1+2 = $3M of that and give us a full roster.

So then we say we really only have $3M in cap space. But if we move $6M of existing salary... I like Turris and Ellis in there, but Subban-with-$3M-retained would also do it... then we have the $9M needed for a Duchene signing. (Or if we want to nitpick, $9M+Gaudreau's salary if we kick him off the roster).

However... if the cap isn't $82M but instead $80M... all that falls apart... none of those $6M-clearing moves would be enough. You can shoe-horn $500k in just with a little bit of belt-tightening. You can't cover $2M so easily.

So yeah, that after all probably IS the explanation for the sudden moratorium on trading.

ShooterMcGavin3

Feb 26, 2019
There is a lot of talent available still in these first 10-15 picks of the second round. I wonder if Poile would be willing to push for one of those picks to snag a Lavoie, Kaliyev, Brink or Hoglander? I feel like an overpay would be necessary to get up there, but we are very thin at F in the system, imo.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Throw your darts and hope you hit a prospect. These guys won't be impact players anyways for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad