Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
"Arguably the top goalie for this year draft. Has good size at 6’2”, and uses it well to cover the net. Consistent, doesn’t get rattled if he lets in a weak goal. Draws comparison to ... Carey Price and ... Olaf Kolzig." --- sounds great until you realize they were describing Chet Pickard (the ellipsises inserted to hide "former teammate" and that Kolzig then owned the TriCity Americans). Looking back at the 1999 rankings by Central Scouting, guess who was the #1 ranked North American goalie ... Brian Finley.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Maybe should decide on a motorcycle Harley or Suzuki :sarcasm:

My top 5
Bobby Brink
Connor McMicheal
Phillip Tomasino
Ryan Suzuki
Raphael Lavoie

Of course Poile will draft a Goalie or Defenseman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And Quick was a 3rd round pick. Honestly, I don't know anything at all about Knight, he might turn out great, but I'm with the crew that says we don't need a great goalie. Or at least, we're just as likely to find one somewhere else rather than in the 1st round of the entry draft. Are there any starters left in this year's playoffs other than Rask who were 1st rounders?

I need a couple weeks to catch up then I'll tell y'all who I want them to pick instead. :)

Reactions: Gnashville

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
This website usually has good players profiles

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
That would be fantastic if we got moritz seider. He is my next hopeful after Broberg, who most likely will go before we pick as mentioned above.

I’m really high on kakko, I wonder if there is some way that we could make a package involving say like tolvanen, subban, our first, turris, whatever. Just something that would entice the rangers to trade us second overall pick.
I feel like Tolvanen and subban would return kakko with a small plus. This kid is going to be special.

teddyli

Feb 4, 2018
Don't pick goalies in the first round... Nothing against Knight, but young goalies are very hard to predict, and there are always numbers of good goalies available in late rounds(compared to skaters)... It's like in nfl don't pick kickers in early rounds

Reactions: Gnashville

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
One of Heinola, Broberg and Seider would be ideal. Haven't really seen Broberg or Seider play but their profile would fit us well. Heinola is a really good player. More than likely he is taken before Preds pick...but one can always hope.

Reactions: Scoresberg

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
One of Heinola, Broberg and Seider would be ideal. Haven't really seen Broberg or Seider play but their profile would fit us well. Heinola is a really good player. More than likely he is taken before Preds pick...but one can always hope.
Yeah I am very much on the sameness page as you my friend. Broberg is my top choice but unless we move up he is probably gone too soon for us. Seider is going to be awesome I think also and Heinola. Söderström is amazing for defense but he’s probably second dman picked after byram.

Looking forward to some mock drafts soon, especially when we know where we will be picking for sure.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That would be fantastic if we got moritz seider. He is my next hopeful after Broberg, who most likely will go before we pick as mentioned above.

I’m really high on kakko, I wonder if there is some way that we could make a package involving say like tolvanen, subban, our first, turris, whatever. Just something that would entice the rangers to trade us second overall pick.
I feel like Tolvanen and subban would return kakko with a small plus. This kid is going to be special.
There is nothing we could realistically offer that would return Kakko. Beyond a pipe dream. Potentially elite production cost controlled for three and locked up for probably a decade is an asset teams will not trade away.

Reactions: NNCbama

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
There is nothing we could realistically offer that would return Kakko. Beyond a pipe dream. Potentially elite production cost controlled for three and locked up for probably a decade is an asset teams will not trade away.

Nothing?

Tolvanen, 2 firsts, a second and fabbro. Gets the deal done easily. But do we want to pay that?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Kakko could be a bust. You don’t know.

2 firsts, a second plus two blue chip prospects.
That’s five very very good blue chip pieces for one guy that could easily be a bust. Easily.
Edit: Nah, scratch it. If you think there's a realistic proposal we could offer that nets a top-of-the-draft prospect, ok. I don't agree but also don't really care enough to debate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Kakko could be a bust. You don’t know.

2 firsts, a second plus two blue chip prospects.
That’s five very very good blue chip pieces for one guy that could easily be a bust. Easily.
Easily? I think in order to get those top picks what you more need to find is a team that thinks it doesn't belong in that draft spot, isn't so focused on "rebuilding", and will take a current star player as part of the package in full expectation that they have a quick turn-around and are back in the playoffs next year. The stuff you've offered is more like the icing on the cake. Now you need to find the team that thinks that, throw in one of our best players to the offer and then maybe it gets close. :dunno:

Or of course the other way is if you have a pick just a couple spots lower and for whatever reason the team with that pick covets a prospect who isn't consensus to go as high. But that's even less likely to arise in this draft, and we certainly don't have that other pick anyway.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
So if we were sitting on the #2 pick with a shot at an elite forward prospect you'd take that package for it? I'm calling bull****, but ok.
I would, Fabbro is a proven d already and tolvanen can grow into a good prospect plus you get 2 more first round prospects for it. Kakko hasn’t played yet, could still just be a bust

Reactions: maplepred

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Easily? I think in order to get those top picks what you more need to find is a team that thinks it doesn't belong in that draft spot, isn't so focused on "rebuilding", and will take a current star player as part of the package in full expectation that they have a quick turn-around and are back in the playoffs next year. The stuff you've offered is more like the icing on the cake. Now you need to find the team that thinks that, throw in one of our best players to the offer and then maybe it gets close. :dunno:

Or of course the other way is if you have a pick just a couple spots lower and for whatever reason the team with that pick covets a prospect who isn't consensus to go as high. But that's even less likely to arise in this draft, and we certainly don't have that other pick anyway.

I hear you there, if a team thinks they are a star player away from playoffs I would much rather deal subban or whatever in a deal for the second overall pick. But if a team is picking that high than most likely they are rebuilding. Which is why I think my package of two firsts a second Tolvanen and fabbro would be ideal for a rebuilding team as it’s just pure futures, and very good if not great futures.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would, Fabbro is a proven d already and tolvanen can grow into a good prospect plus you get 2 more first round prospects for it. Kakko hasn’t played yet, could still just be a bust
I would hang up fast if I owned the 2nd pick. There's more chance you get nothing/nada/zip from those 4 assets than from the #2 overall pick. Fabbro isn't proven. He looked pretty good in a small sample of games playing sheltered minutes. I like him. Even if there was no illusion passed on to our receptive and optimistic minds with that, there's no guarantee he's ever more than a nice #4D. Tolvanen and two late 1sts are of course even less sure. When you have the odds on your side of getting a potential franchise player - even if it's just "potential" - with the #2 overall pick, you take it. Nobody in the NHL is going to take that package of maybes for the #2 pick. :(

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I would hang up fast if I owned the 2nd pick. There's more chance you get nothing/nada/zip from those 4 assets than from the #2 overall pick. Fabbro isn't proven. He looked pretty good in a small sample of games playing sheltered minutes. I like him. Even if there was no illusion passed on to our receptive and optimistic minds with that, there's no guarantee he's ever more than a nice #4D. Tolvanen and two late 1sts are of course even less sure. When you have the odds on your side of getting a potential franchise player - even if it's just "potential" - with the #2 overall pick, you take it. Nobody in the NHL is going to take that package of maybes for the #2 pick. :(

You mean nobody would take 5 maybes for one maybe?

There was also a second in the proposal you forgot.

Fabbro, Tolvanen, first, first, second for kakko. I think rangers would do that deal. Your basically getting 4 firsts and a second for a number two overall. Your crazy if you think teams wouldn’t take that offer, I don’t think that Poile would pull the trigger on it to be honest. That’s a ton to give up for a maybe franchise player. Tolvanen alone could be a franchise player, he was lighting it up almost every game towards end of season now that he knows the ahl rink size.

Four firsts and a second would get it done, but I don’t think we would pull the trigger because it’s too much to give up for a maybe.

Hell, if you offer sheet an elite proven nhl superstar and his team doesn’t match, it would cost four firsts. So why wouldn’t a team take that plus a second for a guy that hasn’t even put on an nhl jersey??

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I think you’re a bit overestimating a high draft pick, I wouldn’t do this if I was Poile because it’s way too much for just 1 guy, but if you need some help. David Legwand was #1 overall in our year with that pick wouldn’t you trade 5 prospects for 1?

Lets also not forget Nail Yakupov

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Caufield's now tied Ovechkin's single-tournament goal record with 14 in 2 less games played.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think you’re a bit overestimating a high draft pick, I wouldn’t do this if I was Poile because it’s way too much for just 1 guy, but if you need some help. David Legwand was #1 overall in our year with that pick wouldn’t you trade 5 prospects for 1?

Lets also not forget Nail Yakupov

Lecavalier was #1 in 98 and by a comfortable margin over Legwand.

Reactions: LCPreds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad