Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
My bad I meant our 1st rounder, just saying many thought he was a slam dunk 30 goal scorer
I would definitely have traded legwand for fabbro Tolvanen first first second.
Hindsight is 20/20

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would definitely have traded legwand for fabbro Tolvanen first first second.
Hindsight is 20/20
Yakupov and Legwand are some cool "busts", but you have to go year by year. What if you said McDavid and Eichel? Or even Matthews and Laine? You never know for 100% sure, but the sense I'm getting is that folks are viewing Hughes and Kaakko closer to one of the good duos than one of the more "meh" years. Of course there is always hype within each year too. End of the day, you want a franchise player, that's the best place to get them. 5 kicks at the can in the late first round aren't going to give you as good a chance as a single top-2 pick. I feel like New Jersey and the Rangers will want that chance. I dunno what I'd do with that trade if I was Poile, but for very sure I wouldn't make it from the NJ/NYR side of things.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Yakupov and Legwand are some cool "busts", but you have to go year by year. What if you said McDavid and Eichel? Or even Matthews and Laine? You never know for 100% sure, but the sense I'm getting is that folks are viewing Hughes and Kaakko closer to one of the good duos than one of the more "meh" years. Of course there is always hype within each year too. End of the day, you want a franchise player, that's the best place to get them. 5 kicks at the can in the late first round aren't going to give you as good a chance as a single top-2 pick. I feel like New Jersey and the Rangers will want that chance. I dunno what I'd do with that trade if I was Poile, but for very sure I wouldn't make it from the NJ/NYR side of things.
Top 5 just means you are given more options, but I think I proved that it’s not a certainty you want your top 2 pick to be Fabbro why would you not take the one with no doubt. Though this is entirely hypothetical so whatever

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I really think the offer of Fabbro, Tolvanen, first, first, second for second overall could work or not work. It would all depend on the GM. But you gotta think a team that is rebuilding would be a lot more inclined to get five very good futures that would jump start a rebuild a lot faster than just one great pick that does not have much talent around him to work with.

I doubt Poile would ever do that, but my point was just that it could easily be a deal. I would think the team trading number two overall may even have to add a late pick just so it’s jot so lopsided, as in 5 very strong pieces for one piece that could be a stud or a flop. The value for both sides is definitely there though.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I do think with our pick we had a legit chance to draft moritz seider which would be huge for our farm. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe he could come over and play for Milwaukee right away if drafted.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I really think the offer of Fabbro, Tolvanen, first, first, second for second overall could work or not work. It would all depend on the GM. But you gotta think a team that is rebuilding would be a lot more inclined to get five very good futures that would jump start a rebuild a lot faster than just one great pick that does not have much talent around him to work with.

I doubt Poile would ever do that, but my point was just that it could easily be a deal. I would think the team trading number two overall may even have to add a late pick just so it’s jot so lopsided, as in 5 very strong pieces for one piece that could be a stud or a flop. The value for both sides is definitely there though.
It's like the classic quantity for quality trade offers you see on the main board and everywhere. Nobody is going to take 5 nickels for a dollar. Or maybe you're just overrating what the world thinks of Tolvanen and Fabbro, I can't tell. But count how many times in the history of the NHL you've seen a deal like that made. Teams don't trade their #1 or #2 picks very often, especially not in a trade like that. It just doesn't happen. It could not "easily" be a deal. But ok, I guess I've said my piece, and either way we both know this deal isn't happening, even if we're at opposite ends of the spectrum as to why that may be. So I guess no point in wasting more electrons on it. Cheers!
:surrender

Reactions: tulsytrid1

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
It's like the classic quantity for quality trade offers you see on the main board and everywhere. Nobody is going to take 5 nickels for a dollar. Or maybe you're just overrating what the world thinks of Tolvanen and Fabbro, I can't tell. But count how many times in the history of the NHL you've seen a deal like that made. Teams don't trade their #1 or #2 picks very often, especially not in a trade like that. It just doesn't happen. It could not "easily" be a deal. But ok, I guess I've said my piece, and either way we both know this deal isn't happening, even if we're at opposite ends of the spectrum as to why that may be. So I guess no point in wasting more electrons on it. Cheers!
:surrender

Proposal: - Preds and Rangers

If you check this thread out, it looks like most people agree this is a fair trade and both sides would accept. NYR fans said they would not accept because they truly lack an elite player, but they said if they had someone elite that they would do it most likely. So say Colorado (Ottawa pick) got the second overall pick, they would most likely do this trade because they already have Mack and Rantanen.

So looks like it is after all a fair trade.

:nod:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Proposal: - Preds and Rangers

If you check this thread out, it looks like most people agree this is a fair trade and both sides would accept. NYR fans said they would not accept because they truly lack an elite player, but they said if they had someone elite that they would do it most likely. So say Colorado (Ottawa pick) got the second overall pick, they would most likely do this trade because they already have Mack and Rantanen.

So looks like it is after all a fair trade.

:nod:
Funny, I read that thread and it reads like a unanimous and in many cases fairly vehement "NO!" from all Rangers fans. I don't see one example of a fan who would accept it. A couple said they might at least think about it IF they had one or two young franchise players on hand already, but that's kind of the whole point - they don't.
:huh:

When it comes down to it, nobody ever makes that trade, as history has shown. The best you can do is make it un-insulting, which at least this one has enough pieces to be, so that folks at least politely decline.

I guess the next step is to go even more hypothetical and ask Colorado fans if they'd take it, IF they actually did pick #2 overall. :)

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Funny, I read that thread and it reads like a unanimous and in many cases fairly vehement "NO!" from all Rangers fans. I don't see one example of a fan who would accept it. A couple said they might at least think about it IF they had one or two young franchise players on hand already, but that's kind of the whole point - they don't.

When it comes down to it, nobody ever makes that trade, as history has shown. The best you can do is make it un-insulting, which at least this one has enough pieces to be, so that folks at least politely decline.

I guess the next step is to go even more hypothetical and ask Colorado fans if they'd take it, IF they actually did pick #2 overall. :)
Funny because I read it as most would accept the offer, or at least strongly consider it, if Theo team already had a “face of the franchise” type player. Another post, and commonly referred to in this thread, was saying if the rangers were to deal the pick this is exactly the package they would be looking for.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN

Mostly no, only two big “no”. If you read the posts most of the thread believes it is a good offer but they just believe Kakko is a super elite player already. Doesn’t work for them, doesn’t mean it’s not a decent trade offer that requires to be considered.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Most of them seem to say it’s a fair offer on paper, but the chance to get a franchise forward is why they pass.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Most of them seem to say it’s a fair offer on paper, but the chance to get a franchise forward is why they pass.
Yes exactly this. Just depends on which team is picking second overall. Rangers would most likely say no, but other teams could easily say yes, as it has great value. I personally think Poile would not offer this to be honest though.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Seemed like the entire point of the discussion though. IF a team doesn't need a franchise player (that's kind of a LOLworthy condition IMO) and IF the #2 pick isn't likely to be a franchise player (why would we offer up that kind of package if not) THEN it appears to be a good deal is a pretty big stretch. I don't see many real-life circumstances where something like this comes to fruition.

Reactions: NNCbama

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Seemed like the entire point of the discussion though. IF a team doesn't need a franchise player (that's kind of a LOLworthy condition IMO) and IF the #2 pick isn't likely to be a franchise player (why would we offer up that kind of package if not) THEN it appears to be a good deal is a pretty big stretch. I don't see many real-life circumstances where something like this comes to fruition.

To be honest, I do not think Poile would do it anyways. Why give up on 5 sure fire prospects for one that "may" be great? The odds of 5 top prospects flopping is a lot lower than 1 top top prospects flopping. I can think of TONS of top 5 picks that have flopped in last even ten years for example. The point is that it is a fair offer for number two overall, period. Rangers are starving for a face of the franchise, so they would "probably" not take the offer, but a team that has some superstar or two would likely take the offer. All depends on who is picking second overall. Nothing is "untradeable" ever in this league. Not even Mcdavid for the right price... and if Oilers keep missing playoffs we may see that sooner than we think.

Also as I said, I could offer sheet Mitch Marner and if Leafs did not match it would cost less than 4 firsts and a second (as being offered for number 2 overall here). I am sure mostly anyone would want Marner over Kakko as he is proven and super young as well.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
Preds locked in after the 1st round. It's strange to me that getting to the 2nd round means nothing to your draft position but CF and SCF do matter. Not sure I follow that logic.

At least we got a banner.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
For all of the grief that Legwand still gets, he remains the logical pick. Sure, he never turned into the next Great One but he was a very serviceable, quality second liner with better numbers than the next half a dozen or so forwards selected after him. Let's not forget that many of those formative years were spent on early Preds teams ... not going to the Bolts, Wings, Avs, etc. 10th in goals, 7th in points among his draft year that also featured Datsyuk (6th round), Fisher (2nd), Ribs (2nd) , Richards (3rd).

Just as then, we'll pick the best player available for whatever position we're looking at for that point in the draft. Then, ten years later, we'll all complain because some kid in the 94th round exceeded all expectations and became the league's first consistent 300 point scorer, as a goalie who also wins every game by shutout.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Wouldn't mind him. Big Swedish defenseman, his offense is similar to where Ekholm was at the time. We'd definitely be a good place to develop him.
He’s got a big frame just like ekholm too. I would love this pick if it happened. He’s my first choice, then seider is number 2, the big German defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad