Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Well no more hockey until October so next big thing will be the draft, which I think we could be quite active at.
I imagine with us getting beat out first round as well as Tampa bay, Calgary, Boston/Toronto, and hopefully Washington and San Jose, we could be picking around 18-19 overall.

This is supposed to be a prettt deep draft I hear that is mostly dominated by forwards. Maybe a chance to nab a future star here? Or trade up and get a top 5-10 pick?

I know Poile will have a bitter taste in his mouth about this season and I’m positive he will make changes. Nobody is really untouchable.

Could we do something totally crazy and trade subban and our first for a “real” first line forward? Or trade Turris and our first to move into top ten possibly?

Either way, the entry draft should be very exciting I think.

I also wonder if at the draft we could possibly trade with the pens for Kessel? He would instantly be our best forward by far. Pens say only untouchables are Crosby and malkin.

Looking forward to an active offseason after this disappointment.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Vegas wins tonight and Carolina wins tomorrow night, we will pick 18th. If one of them loses we pick 19th and obviously 20th if both lose.

Go Vegas and Carolina!

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If Vegas wins tonight and Carolina wins tomorrow night, we will pick 18th. If one of them loses we pick 19th and obviously 20th if both lose.

Go Vegas and Carolina!
I don't believe that's how it works. teams below us in the regular season point totals would have to make it to the conference finals. so in theory, if all 4 teams below us made it that far we would move up 4 spots.

we should be pulling for everyone except WSH NYI SJ and BOS from a purely draft perspective.

STL/DAL versus VGK in the WCF and CBJ to beat BOS. we need CAR to beat WSH tomorrow or we are guaranteed to only be able to move up 3 spots as WSH or NYI would be guaranteed a spot in the ECF and their regular season point totals were both higher than ours.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
actually i forgot we won our divison. pretty sure we are guaranteed to stay where we are at #23 overall.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

I also already made a thread about the draft a while ago, so maybe this could be merged with that one. It's not exactly buzzing with activity though so can't fault you for not noticing it.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Question about draft pick order

I believe you are both wrong, of course that is my perspective after reading this.
As teams are eliminated we will get higher draft seed than teams that continue on. All of the rules for this are in the second reply I believe

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i could be wrong but read that again. we won our divison so we are locked in at #23
I never took note of that ordering rule before. Interesting. I was thinking 4 playoff semifinalists are 28-29-30-31 and then TB/CAL at 26-27 and then it gets a little hairy... say Washington and SJ go out, we are definitely ahead of them so 23. But say they make the finals... we could be lower than 23, no? And even without the division winner thing, we have the tie-breaker in the standings on Toronto and Pittsburgh.

What's the best that can happen? Washington and San Jose and Boston eliminated in Round 2, so...
28-29-30-31 are the lowest-pt teams... Columbus, Carolina, Dallas, Colorado?
27 = Tampa
26 = Calgary
25 = Washington
24 = Boston *OR* is that us as a division winner????
23 = Islanders
22 = San Jose
21 = us *OR* did we get screwed by winning the division???

Or the worst that happens is Washington and Boston and San Jose make the semis?
28-29-30-31 are Boston, Washington, SJ, Dallas/Blues
27 = Tampa
26 = Calgary
25 = NYI *OR* is that us as a division winner?????

Could it be we are locked into 24 or 25 now?

(I'm spitting this out too casually - there is probably a clearer answer if anybody takes the time to do it right).

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I would sure love if we could get Philip Broberg, 6'3" defenseman from Sweden should be picked late teens. We are so low on defense prospects right now.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
i could be wrong but read that again. we won our divison so we are locked in at #23
We are actually at #24 right now but will move up to 23 because one of Dallas or St Louis will make the conference Finals.
We can also move up depending on if Colorado, Carolina, or Columbus make a Conference Finals. We will be 20-23 depending on the 4 Finals teams.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That NHL.com link seems a little misleading perhaps? It talks about teams which were "ranked 1st in their respective divisions", but that has to be based on playoffs right? Not regular season. It doesn't seem to jive with the SOP we've always seen about the 4 semi-finalists having the last 4 picks, otherwise.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
at 23/24 there isn't a lot of sure talent. I'd like to see us go for a forward with size.

John Beecher
US National Team
6'3 202

Elmira-New York native with excellent size, physicality, competitiveness and good jump and feet. A North-South skater who can get wide and go to the net or be a heavy rugged force in the high traffic areas, along the wall, and in the cycle. Besides being a handful for opposing defenseman, he has good hands as a scoring threat. He will a player who sets up between the circles near the blue paint and puts rebounds in the back of the net. A big centre who may project to wing has a really nice stride, first step quickness, and a smattering of skill. Refinement of his defensive zone commitment is in order, but you can'y overlook his pro caliber release, or how well he protects the puck. Committed to the University of Michigan.

--Bill Placzek--

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
We are actually at #24 right now but will move up to 23 because one of Dallas or St Louis will make the conference Finals.
We can also move up depending on if Colorado, Carolina, or Columbus make a Conference Finals. We will be 20-23 depending on the 4 Finals teams.
i forgot about this and yes it is 24 not 23

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
at 23/24 there isn't a lot of sure talent. I'd like to see us go for a forward with size.

John Beecher
US National Team
6'3 202
I think we should restock our defense with a top prospect, especially now with Fabbro an NHL regular we really have a bare cupboard. Farrance is only solid prospect IMO, whereas with forwards we have Pitlick, Mismash, and Harper in the ranks. I really like the big 6'3" Swede defenseman Philip Broberg. He is going to be a beast!

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
we've done pretty well historically getting good defensemen outside of the 1st round, so I'd rather get a forward or Spencer Knight if he's still available with our 1st.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
we've done pretty well historically getting good defensemen outside of the 1st round, so I'd rather get a forward or Spencer Knight if he's still available with our 1st.
a goalie that is playing at Boston College? the fan base would explode :popcorn:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nothing for or against Spencer Knight specifically here, but... our prospect cupboard is basically bare at all positions and goalies --- well, they sort of grow on trees, in that you can sign free agents from college or Europe or find ones later on in the draft that turn out every bit as good as the ones identified as the best at 17-18 years old. If we had a better prospect list in general and only lacked some goalies, or had multiple firsts, then sure maybe. But as it is, I wouldn't be comfortable with that pick.

Forward or D, whoever is best on that spot. Emphasis on skill and speed moreso than size or "character".

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Best position player available, although I'm hoping we move up somehow. Unless we get a top 5-10 pick the player we pick this year won't play for us soon, just look at Fabbro.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Saros is the only goalie the Preds picked in the first 5 rounds with more than 10 NHL games. The market or later rounds always have goalies.

Best player (skater, not goalie) available. No matter who it is, a contingent won't like the pick ... another will overhype the kid ... then we'll spend a couple years seeing how well they pan out.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Nothing for or against Spencer Knight specifically here, but... our prospect cupboard is basically bare at all positions and goalies --- well, they sort of grow on trees, in that you can sign free agents from college or Europe or find ones later on in the draft that turn out every bit as good as the ones identified as the best at 17-18 years old. If we had a better prospect list in general and only lacked some goalies, or had multiple firsts, then sure maybe. But as it is, I wouldn't be comfortable with that pick.

Forward or D, whoever is best on that spot. Emphasis on skill and speed moreso than size or "character".

good points and I kinda agree, but the thought of picking him is kinda tempting when you read some of the stuff about him. Supposed to be the best american goalie prospect since Quick, and plays a lot like Price. Big, strong, athletic, agile, mentally strong. Only just turned 18 too and already really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad