Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
Theres a kid from Roseau Minnesota (buff's hometown) named Aaron huglen who I think could have a huge upside. Will probably go in 4th to 6th round range. Nasty hands and great hockey IQ only problem is he's a bit undersized. Grew up with the kid and hes a great player and person.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Looking deeper, my bet at 20 is on a D-man and given that Harley & York are Americans, that would be my best guesses. Harley, a 6'3' LHD, if he's around really intriques me given he's reputed to be a superb passer and a very smooth skater (only knock against is his intensity). Be awful hard to turn down the big German, RHD Seider or the big Swed, LHD Broberg, if they were available as well. As far as C's, one would have to lean towards the 6'0' Canadian, Suzuki if for no other reason than he plays for the Barrie Colts. But reading further into Tomasino, he sounds like the ideal C for us to go after.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like Suzuki. Did not like him at the u18s. Would have to be sure about the whole package and at least 30 to 40 games of him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Jets need a Thomas Chabot type of home run from this draft --- they really do...
Thomas Harleys comp is Chabot. Could be a candidate for us at 20 but I expect him to go before us

I think Seider will go top 10

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I posted this in the other thread but,

Kaliyev (assuming fall), Tomasino, Brink or Seider are my preferred options.

And good god no to Alex Vlasic.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Uh oh. Ryan Suzuki is a Barrie Colt. We all know Chevy’s tendencies towards that team...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not a huge fan of Harley at 20. I personally think he is a little overrated. Big and mobile for sure but makes a tonne of mistakes.

I like Soderstrom (if he falls), Seider, York, Knight, Nikolayev, McMicheal, Tomasino, Broberg. Heinola, Thomson in that order.

We could also take a big reach on someone like Brett Leason. Big mobile talented C/W who is a bit closer to being NHL ready. He could join the Moose next year and if he pans out could potentially be playing on the Jets by 2020/21.

Reactions: ps241

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Not a huge fan of Harley at 20. I personally think he is a little overrated. Big and mobile for sure but makes a tonne of mistakes.

I like Soderstrom (if he falls), Seider, York, Knight, Nikolayev, McMicheal, Tomasino, Broberg. Heinola, Thomson in that order.

We could also take a big reach on someone like Brett Leason. Big mobile talented C/W who is a bit closer to being NHL ready. He could join the Moose next year and if he pans out could potentially be playing on the Jets by 2020/21.
I’m not even sure Nikolaev is the best Russian available at our pick. Dorofeyev is better IMO. I wouldn’t take Knight either if he’s available. I’d sooner trade the pick if someone wants him enough

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m not even sure Nikolaev is the best Russian available at our pick. Dorofeyev is better IMO. I wouldn’t take Knight either if he’s available. I’d sooner trade the pick if someone wants him enough

I say Nikolayev because I don't see Dorofeyev lasting to 20. Knight is exactly what this franchise needs. A truly elite goalie that can eventually push Hellebuyck and likely take over his spot. Which allows us to move Helle eventually for a high pick.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
RHD seems to be a hot commodity league-wide. I think Seider will end up going top 10 (have him at ANH) and Soderstrom top 15 (have him to FLA)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Goalies are still voodoo.

Only to the those who watch graphs and charts all day. Stats and models can't predict who will be a good goalie, you actually have to use your eyes. Knight is a similar kind of goalie to Price, Hart, MAF and many other very good first round selections. I'd bet $100 that he pans out as better than Hellebuyck will ever be.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Our scouts are finding top four D outside of the 1st (Niku, Samberg) but they're not finding top 6 F in later rounds (Copp & Lowry are nice but you know).

I want a F, with a strong preference for C.

My order of Cs
Tomasino (I think he'll be gone)
Suzuki
Nikolayev
Spiridonov
McMichael

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Our scouts are finding top four D outside of the 1st (Niku, Samberg) but they're not finding top 6 F in later rounds (Copp & Lowry are nice but you know).

I want a F, with a strong preference for C.

My order of Cs
Tomasino (I think he'll be gone)
Suzuki
Nikolayev
Spiridonov
McMichael

I don't mind Tomasino, not sure he will stick at C at the NHL level seems to be a more natural winger. At least he has played better at wing then at C. Hell of a skater.

Suzuki to me doesn't seem to have legit enough center qualities, he plays on the perimeter and passing way to much to be effective down the middle. If he can manage to be more of a driver he could be a solid center but I'm not sure the instincts are there.

Nikolayev is my pick for a breakout darkhorse C prospect. His hands, passing and vision are what really sets him apart. If I'm looking at a potential center partner for Laine he is it in our range. He's not a great skater but he has the ability to slow the game down to create which could be a big help for someone like Laine. If he tweaks his skating stride and gets a little bit more power under his legs he could end up being a very solid middle 6 center in the NHL. His defensive game is above average as well.

Spiridonov is kind of the more defensive conscious Nikolayev without the hands and passing ability and with the skating issues to boot. Spiridonov screams bottom 6 two-way type to me and at 20 I'm not so sure that is the kind of pick you want to make. would be all for him in later rounds. I'd say he plays a similar game to Lowry.

McMicheal is polarizing. I don't think he will ever be a superstar at the NHL level and I'm not 100% sure he sticks at center either but he plays a great all around game. Good on the rush, backchecks well and forechecks with speed and tenacity. Loves to get in front of the net as well, a deflection master.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't mind Tomasino, not sure he will stick at C at the NHL level seems to be a more natural winger. At least he has played better at wing then at C. Hell of a skater.

Suzuki to me doesn't seem to have legit enough center qualities, he plays on the perimeter and passing way to much to be effective down the middle. If he can manage to be more of a driver he could be a solid center but I'm not sure the instincts are there.

Nikolayev is my pick for a breakout darkhorse C prospect. His hands, passing and vision are what really sets him apart. If I'm looking at a potential center partner for Laine he is it in our range. He's not a great skater but he has the ability to slow the game down to create which could be a big help for someone like Laine. If he tweaks his skating stride and gets a little bit more power under his legs he could end up being a very solid middle 6 center in the NHL. His defensive game is above average as well.

Spiridonov is kind of the more defensive conscious Nikolayev without the hands and passing ability and with the skating issues to boot. Spiridonov screams bottom 6 two-way type to me and at 20 I'm not so sure that is the kind of pick you want to make. would be all for him in later rounds. I'd say he plays a similar game to Lowry.

McMicheal is polarizing. I don't think he will ever be a superstar at the NHL level and I'm not 100% sure he sticks at center either but he plays a great all around game. Good on the rush, backchecks well and forechecks with speed and tenacity. Loves to get in front of the net as well, a deflection master.

Thanks for the synopsis. I have had a chance to do a bit more research on the players.

I like what I have seen from Tomasino but like you I share your concerns on him being a C long term. All the highlights are of him beating players with his speed. He didn't show much of being able to slow the game down or or support the play like a C will have to at the NHL level. Nice skill set and my viewings are limited though so hard to forecast.

McMicheal form the shift by shift videos as well as the highlights looks a heck of a lot more promising as a potential C. The kid is a very good skater with exceptional instincts and the ability to read and react to the play. He continually goes to the right areas at the right times and the puck finds him. He also showed very well with his ability to support the defense and reads and reacts to the play well in his own end. I also liked how he came through the middle with the puck in the nz. I would have to see more of how he plays with the puck in the ozone to project more but to me he looks like a potential 2 way smart 2C.

I'm torn on Suzuki: I thought he was excellent at the Ivan Hilinka but it sounds like he didn't progress as expected as a player this season. He has the skills to be a good playmaking C if he can iron out his game and get a bit more brave. That might come naturally with added strength. The kid is an excellent skater with fantastic vision and passing skills. Added strength may help him with the holes in his game. The more I see the more I think his skating and passing would really fit in real well with our forward core here. He does have some holes in his game though, I guess you would have to be confident that you could work with him on correcting them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad